Author Topic: Should American citizens be given job preference?  (Read 4312 times)

Las Vegas

• Getbig V
  • ! Repent or Perish !
Re: Should American citizens be given job preference?
« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2016, 07:53:58 AM »
While we're playing goofy hypothetical:

So what if an employer is perfectly willing to hire a minority but he knows he'll lose customers because he's the only non-bigot in Bigotville.  Is he guilty of discrimination if he doesn't hire the minority who will cause the business to fail because all the customers are bigots?

A minority isn't necessarily a non-citizen, but interesting question anyway.

OB1

• Getbig IV
  • "Happiness equals reality minus expectations."
« Reply #26 on: January 31, 2016, 07:57:13 AM »
Looks like it was several people I called that.

LOL
©

Las Vegas

• Getbig V
  • ! Repent or Perish !

drkaje

• Getbig V
  • Quiet, Err. I'm transmitting rage.
« Reply #28 on: January 31, 2016, 09:49:12 AM »
While we're playing goofy hypothetical:

So what if an employer is perfectly willing to hire a minority but he knows he'll lose customers because he's the only non-bigot in Bigotville.  Is he guilty of discrimination if he doesn't hire the minority who will cause the business to fail because all the customers are bigots?

He should hire a bigot.

HonestBob

• Getbig IV
« Reply #29 on: January 31, 2016, 10:12:04 AM »
drkaje is right on target with the "goals"

But encouraged? No, unless you want a lazy ass workforce that knows that they can file suit for discrimination since they know you fear such lawsuits and have put a plan in place.

Quota filling is reverse discrimination and will lead a paper trail for future lawsuits.

No blacks? Depends on what market you work in and educational level you need. Also, are there really that many blacks where you live? Likely not discrimination just because you have no blacks jobs are given based on merit not the color of skin.   

Taxpayer funded situations depend on whether your business takes over a public function that is normally reserved for government (prison) or how intertwined the government's actions are to a point in which the government affirms your company's actions.  It takes a lot.

Lots of blacks in some places that we operate, but the application procedure is very rigorous and they don't seem to want to put the effort in to respond to case studies and rounds of interviews. We just don't see them.

But we'll be in LA within 12 months and the minefield of US political correctness does worry me.

youandme

• Getbig V
« Reply #30 on: January 31, 2016, 06:28:44 PM »
Lots of blacks in some places that we operate, but the application procedure is very rigorous and they don't seem to want to put the effort in to respond to case studies and rounds of interviews. We just don't see them.

But we'll be in LA within 12 months and the minefield of US political correctness does worry me.

Yeah, LA I'd be kind of worried.

Definitely seek the advice of an employment attorney in the LA area to discuss any issues or apprehensions. Since you mentioned application procedure and rounds of interviews you need to make sure you are in compliance with the EEOC.  Wonder if you guys can just delegate the hiring process to another company to make the transition easier and maybe reduce liability and costs. Lots of good agencies.

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #31 on: January 31, 2016, 07:54:50 PM »
He should hire a bigot.

I'm unsure.  I think he'd be asking himself what matters more: money or his beliefs.  But I'm still curious if he'd be in the wrong from a strictly legal standpoint.

drkaje

• Getbig V
« Reply #32 on: January 31, 2016, 08:19:02 PM »
I'm unsure.  I think he'd be asking himself what matters more: money or his beliefs.  But I'm still curious if he'd be in the wrong from a strictly legal standpoint.

There's nothing to ask himself: You don't start a business in Bigotville by accident.

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #33 on: January 31, 2016, 08:22:04 PM »
I gotta make a living!

drkaje

• Getbig V
« Reply #34 on: January 31, 2016, 08:33:18 PM »
I gotta make a living!

There's more than one Bigotsville. We ran into my sister-in-law leaving the gym last Saturday and she told us a story from my brother's new job. Some receptionist/secretary said "I hope you didn't get this job because you're black"... I laughed my ass off. Apparently he was kind of upset at the time.

I suggested he sack-up or stop taking jobs in east bumfuck.

TuHolmes

• Getbig V
  • Darkness is fated to eventually be destroyed...
« Reply #35 on: January 31, 2016, 08:43:54 PM »
I guess the question comes down to the general idea that you should "buy American".

I have no issue with it if it's all things being equal.

ProudVirgin69

• Getbig V
  • hardcore redneck electric champion
« Reply #36 on: January 31, 2016, 09:22:04 PM »
I guess the question comes down to the general idea that you should "buy American".

I have no issue with it if it's all things being equal.

Good point and that raises the question: which is more "American", the Toyota built in Tennessee or the Ford built in Mexico?

polychronopolous

• Getbig V
« Reply #37 on: January 31, 2016, 09:27:15 PM »

And if he was from the south and a Christian he would be an even bigger piece of shit.

TuHolmes

• Getbig V
  • Darkness is fated to eventually be destroyed...
« Reply #38 on: January 31, 2016, 10:50:38 PM »
Good point and that raises the question: which is more "American", the Toyota built in Tennessee or the Ford built in Mexico?

Also a good point. While Wall Street sees the Toyota as "foreign", the worker who is getting paid probably sees it as made in America.