Author Topic: Heat N Glo Fireplace Question  (Read 9804 times)

Butterbean

• Getbig V
Heat N Glo Fireplace Question
« on: October 17, 2009, 10:55:07 AM »
We have a couple Heat N Glo Gas Fireplaces that have remote controls that can turn the fire on or off.

The remotes now do not work for either fireplace.  We did put new batteries in and they still don't work (they can be turned on and off manually though).

Any ideas to make the remotes function?

Sync Pulse?  :D

Thanks
R

Eyeball Chambers

• Getbig V
  • Would you hold still? You're making me fuck up...
Re: Heat N Glo Fireplace Question
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2009, 12:39:04 PM »
We have a couple Heat N Glo Gas Fireplaces that have remote controls that can turn the fire on or off.

The remotes now do not work for either fireplace.  We did put new batteries in and they still don't work (they can be turned on and off manually though).

Any ideas to make the remotes function?

Sync Pulse?  :D

Thanks

You can look at the top end of the remote with a digital camera display screen (digital camera can see spectrums of light that we can't) while holding, or repeatedly pressing one of the buttons on the remote.  You should see light being emitted from the end of the remote.
S

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2009, 07:01:30 PM »
You can look at the top end of the remote with a digital camera display screen (digital camera can see spectrums of light that we can't) while holding, or repeatedly pressing one of the buttons on the remote.  You should see light being emitted from the end of the remote.
I don't really understand what you are telling me here  ???

The remote itself will light up as you press a button for "on" or "off."  When I press "on" nothing happens in the fireplace (even though the pilot is lit) but the light on the remote does light.
R

Eyeball Chambers

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2009, 07:15:25 PM »
I don't really understand what you are telling me here  ???

The remote itself will light up as you press a button for "on" or "off."  When I press "on" nothing happens in the fireplace (even though the pilot is lit) but the light on the remote does light.

I didn't really know how to word it well.

If your remote is working, you should be able to see a light like this (picture below) when you hold, or repeatedly press a button on the remote while looking at it through a digital cameras display screen.  (using the digital camera since our eyes cannot detect the inferred light)

S

sync pulse

• Getbig V
  • Only be sure always to call it please, 'research'
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2009, 10:37:29 PM »
The suggestion made by rpf is a good one and will prove whether or not the remote control "sender" is operating or not.  
If the remote control sender is working, you might check to see if something is obscuring the window on the fireplace that "looks" at the remote sender and receives the signals.  This window may be round or square and covered with a bit of plastic that looks dark or deep red to the human eye.  TV sets have them on the front of the cabinet. This is a filter that only lets through the infrared light and so lessens the chance of the electronics being "confused" by flashes of visible light.  If something is covering this window, the infrared signals can't get through and the remote won't work.

Is there only one remote sender, or two, one for each fireplace?  If there are two it's unusual for both to go bad at the same time.
Are they the remote senders that came with the fireplaces or generic replacement ones?  If they are generic replacement ones that are programmable, they may have lost their programming over the summer when their batteries went flat.

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2009, 06:20:00 PM »
I didn't really know how to word it well.

If your remote is working, you should be able to see a light like this (picture below) when you hold, or repeatedly press a button on the remote while looking at it through a digital cameras display screen.  (using the digital camera since our eyes cannot detect the inferred light)

Thank you, that clarifies it a lot.

P.S.  You're dwarfing that remote.

The suggestion made by rpf is a good one and will prove whether or not the remote control "sender" is operating or not.  
If the remote control sender is working, you might check to see if something is obscuring the window on the fireplace that "looks" at the remote sender and receives the signals.  This window may be round or square and covered with a bit of plastic that looks dark or deep red to the human eye.  TV sets have them on the front of the cabinet. This is a filter that only lets through the infrared light and so lessens the chance of the electronics being "confused" by flashes of visible light.  If something is covering this window, the infrared signals can't get through and the remote won't work.

Is there only one remote sender, or two, one for each fireplace?  If there are two it's unusual for both to go bad at the same time.
Are they the remote senders that came with the fireplaces or generic replacement ones?  If they are generic replacement ones that are programmable, they may have lost their programming over the summer when their batteries went flat.

Thank you so much also sync pulse!  I printed this off and will take it to the fireplaces to look around.  I wonder if the receiving window could be covered w/some kind of soot even though they are gas fireplaces?

There is only one remote for each fireplace.  But both seemed to stop working at the same time...but we don't use one hardly ever and the other is used more frequently but only certain months of the year.

The remotes came w/the fireplaces.

I will take my camera and the print off of this thread over there.  Thank you both so much!!! :)
R

Eyeball Chambers

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2009, 06:43:00 PM »
Thank you, that clarifies it a lot.

P.S.  You're dwarfing that remote.

HAHAHAHAHAH

I got that picture off google images.  ;D
S

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2009, 07:18:00 PM »
HAHAHAHAHAH

I got that picture off google images.  ;D

Are you saying your fingers are more "delicate" and "nimble" looking than that  ???
R

Eyeball Chambers

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2009, 07:22:03 PM »
Are you saying your fingers are more "delicate" and "nimble" looking than that  ???

I think they're kind of manly, they're shaped like Mickey Mouse's though.  ;D
S

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2009, 07:23:11 PM »
I think they're kind of manly, they're shaped like Mickey Mouse's though.  ;D

Oh dear.  He only has 3 :(
R

Eyeball Chambers

• Getbig V
S

Eyeball Chambers

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2009, 07:28:58 PM »
I think my hand is like this, what's yours?

http://www.whereincity.com/astrology/palmistry/square-hand.php

Also, how did we go from Heat N Glo to hand shapes?  ??? ;D
S

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2009, 07:28:58 PM »
haha

http://palmistry.findyourfate.com/palmistry-typesofhand.htm

I just read some question in a newpaper mag where they asked if someone was a polylactomy or something meaning she was born w/extra fingers....from what I remember she was but they cut them off of her when she was a child!!....that either happened or I dreamed it :-[
R

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2009, 07:37:18 PM »
I think my hand is like this, what's yours?

http://www.whereincity.com/astrology/palmistry/square-hand.php

Also, how did we go from Heat N Glo to hand shapes?  ??? ;D

I think that hand shape fits me better than the rest of them!  ...been trying to post this for about 10 min...hang on tight >:(

I must say that I never got a chance to comment on your ear lobe thread...I have one of each!!!  hang on tight dammit :o >:(
R

Eyeball Chambers

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2009, 07:59:52 PM »
I think that hand shape fits me better than the rest of them!  ...been trying to post this for about 10 min...hang on tight >:(

I must say that I never got a chance to comment on your ear lobe thread...I have one of each!!!  hang on tight dammit :o >:(

I was getting that hang on tight shit earlier lol

You have one of each ear lobe type?  Like on the left and right?

That's strange  :o
S

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2009, 08:22:52 PM »
I was getting that hang on tight shit earlier lol

You have one of each ear lobe type?  Like on the left and right?

That's strange  :o

Yes I am. :-[  Thank you for pointing that out :'(

Too bad for you it will show up in the family tree >:(
R

Migs

• Getbig V
  • THERE WAS A FIRE FIGHT!!!!
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2009, 09:12:42 PM »
you could get new remotes...

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2009, 09:13:02 PM »

When the sun is shining just right and hits the satellite box, my remote "gets confused".
:

Eyeball Chambers

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2009, 10:30:40 PM »
Yes I am. :-[  Thank you for pointing that out :'(

Too bad for you it will show up in the family tree >:(

haha, luckily we got your good looks and Wavelengths epic food preparation skills.
S

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2009, 02:22:43 PM »
you could get new remotes...

I think I need to do this.  When I viewed them through the camera I did not see any light.

That wouldn't be affected by batteries being needed in the receptor thingy would it?

I think I need to put batteries in this?  Would that affect the light not showing in my remotes?  Should I just get new ones?

R

sync pulse

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2009, 05:10:52 PM »
Is there a way to open it?  If it needs batteries, it should be apparent by being able to open it.

I am still trying to think of how both of them stopped working at the same time.  It must have a bearing, although it is possible for two thing to go bad at the same time, it's very unlikely.

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2009, 05:42:10 AM »
Is there a way to open it?  If it needs batteries, it should be apparent by being able to open it.

I am still trying to think of how both of them stopped working at the same time.  It must have a bearing, although it is possible for two thing to go bad at the same time, it's very unlikely.

It looks like I need a tiny screwdriver and will be able to open the box:

R

Eyeball Chambers

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: October 30, 2009, 06:04:10 AM »
It looks like I need a tiny screwdriver and will be able to open the box:

Careful showing pictures of your fingers, the perverts will go wild.  ;D
S

sync pulse

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: October 30, 2009, 05:46:56 PM »
hmmm, I was  hoping for more like the usual finger sized tab...

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: October 31, 2009, 04:55:50 PM »
Careful showing pictures of your fingers, the perverts will go wild.  ;D

;D

hmmm, I was  hoping for more like the usual finger sized tab...

Yessssss!!  Thanks there is a panel in the bottom of the receptor thing that I could slide and the batteries were in there which I changed out in both fireplaces...both are working w/remotes now.

Thanks everyone :)
R