Author Topic: Over 45 training  (Read 414803 times)

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
Re: Over 45 training
« Reply #650 on: September 28, 2015, 05:50:32 AM »
swimming must be great...good for the body...my legs are so sore day 2 after that workout....leg press to heavy then back down increasing reps is brutal...
I mix it up each length, butterfly,back stroke,crawl.. Gives my neck and shoulders a good workout. Breast stroke is not bad too.. ;D. I am able to do Incline BB press but still struggle with flat bench... i think the fact my delts help makes it possible. Sounds strange but it really is so. I alternate grips too 2 sets wide and 2 sets about shoulder width. bench is about 30/35 Degrees. Most will do wide for less tris and try to eliminate shoulders as much as possible but itīs better for me at the moment.

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #651 on: September 28, 2015, 08:25:05 AM »
I mix it up each length, butterfly,back stroke,crawl.. Gives my neck and shoulders a good workout. Breast stroke is not bad too.. ;D. I am able to do Incline BB press but still struggle with flat bench... i think the fact my delts help makes it possible. Sounds strange but it really is so. I alternate grips too 2 sets wide and 2 sets about shoulder width. bench is about 30/35 Degrees. Most will do wide for less tris and try to eliminate shoulders as much as possible but itīs better for me at the moment.
it will come listen to your body...at least you can train..

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #652 on: September 28, 2015, 08:40:30 AM »
it will come listen to your body...at least you can train..
Dumbbells are harder to use at the moment for say Bench press. tried using a lighter Bell for my right arm and a normal training weight on the left arm and the idea being slowly adding weight to my weaker right side.

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #653 on: September 28, 2015, 08:45:18 AM »
Dumbbells are harder to use at the moment for say Bench press. tried using a lighter Bell for my right arm and a normal training weight on the left arm and the idea being slowly adding weight to my weaker right side.
THATS HOW I WAS REMEMBER.I COULD NOT GET A 25 LB DBELL OFF MY LEFT SIDE PRESSING  :P..AMAZING..I STILL HAVE A SHORTER RANGE MOTION THERE AND I DO LESS REPS ONE ARM AT A TIME 'PER SAY'THAT ARM/SHOULDER GASSES OUT..

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #654 on: September 28, 2015, 08:56:25 AM »
THATS HOW I WAS REMEMBER.I COULD NOT GET A 25 LB DBELL OFF MY LEFT SIDE PRESSING  :P..AMAZING..I STILL HAVE A SHORTER RANGE MOTION THERE AND I DO LESS REPS ONE ARM AT A TIME 'PER SAY'THAT ARM/SHOULDER GASSES OUT..
I am also getting some upper body training at the Jeet Kune Do school i go to. In a way itīs getting me back to my roots and basics. wing Tzun forms are great for upper body training and i can only recommend this for anyone who has this injury. keeps the muscles,tendons and ligaments fluid.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #655 on: September 28, 2015, 04:06:56 PM »
it will come listen to your body...

I listened to my body and it told me to do a 20 minutes of cardio, work quads, hams, calves and abs, after which it said, "You are really pale."  So I hit the tanning bed for 7 minutes. The total time in the gym was an hour and thirty minutes. Just about right.

Observations: A lady who I held the door for when we arrived had such an amazing hourglass figure in her body hugging black dress and very high black heels. She also had long straight blond (not natural) hair. She was on the treadmill next to the one I was on. She'd changed into grey patterned workout tights, a white top, athletic shoes and she'd put her hair up in a bun. She still looked amazing. Oh, and she thanked me for holding the door for her.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #656 on: September 28, 2015, 05:46:04 PM »
I learned the Leung Ting Lineage and forms "Wing tzun" and later "Ving tzun " philip Bayer.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #657 on: September 28, 2015, 05:47:04 PM »
Trained chest and arms today. Moving away from my back/chest, legs and delts/arms.  My new split will be chest/arms, legs, and back/delts. Used lighter weights than normal.  Going to slowly build back to heavier weights.  

The plus months my foot was injured and I couldn't run the weights really came together.  I also see how when I do too much running I just shed muscle and look thin. I know running is good for athletics and health so I will add running back now that the pain is tolerable. Attempting a 3 mile run tomorrow. I hope I don't damage my messed up foot in the attempt.  

Donny I'm glad you are doing what you can with your injury. 

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #658 on: September 28, 2015, 05:57:48 PM »
Trained chest and arms today. Moving away from my back/chest, legs and delts/arms.  My new split will be chest/arms, legs, and back/delts. Used lighter weights than normal.  Going to slowly build back to heavier weights.  

The plus months my foot was injured and I couldn't run the weights really came together.  I also see how when I do too much running I just shed muscle and look thin. I know running is good for athletics and health so I will add running back now that the pain is tolerable. Attempting a 3 mile run tomorrow. I hope I don't damage my messed up foot in the attempt.  

you remind me of myself Rich.. you need that  cardio

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
« Reply #659 on: September 28, 2015, 06:30:07 PM »
Took the day off, hitting heavy squats tomorrow. 8)
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #660 on: September 28, 2015, 07:45:06 PM »
chest/tri/abs,,was late workout pushed it in 1 hr....

inc db press 55/60/65/70..12/10/10/10
hammer sit up lower/mid press 2 plates x12/2.5 x10/3x8/2x12
flat flyes 45/45/50 10/10/8
lower cable flyes x3
finished x2 seated press 'stack version'setting seat for mid chest slow reps on negative portion,,

tris
trisets x3 dip machine/rope pushdowns/seated padded extension 10 reps each
finished 3 sets lying dbell sigle arm extensiion arm across body next to head 'extend'

abs

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #661 on: September 29, 2015, 09:11:51 AM »
Ran 3 miles today at a decent pace. I was so pleased I was able to do it. I will see how much my foot swells up tonight.  I came home from the park and hit the heavy bag. I haven't hit the heavy bag in ages. Always surprises me how the first 3 minute round on the back feels so awkward when I have been away from it. The second I'm back in the swing of things.

Training Observations:  Do these moms walking in the park know I can clearly see their thongs through their yoga pants when they are exercise walking?  Majority of runners and walkers were women.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #662 on: September 29, 2015, 11:33:19 AM »

You are now using the same split I do. I do each part one day a week for a total of three. My sequence is a little different than yours; working back, traps, delts and abs; Chest, arms and abs; legs and abs. Warmup with 20 to 30 minutes of cardio.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #663 on: September 29, 2015, 11:36:31 AM »
Ran 3 miles today at a decent pace. I was so pleased I was able to do it. I will see how much my foot swells up tonight.  I came home from the park and hit the heavy bag. I haven't hit the heavy bag in ages. Always surprises me how the first 3 minute round on the back feels so awkward when I have been away from it. The second I'm back in the swing of things.

Training Observations:  Do these moms walking in the park know I can clearly see their thongs through their yoga pants when they are exercise walking?  Majority of runners and walkers were women.

Most women are concerned with getting or staying lean.

A little bird just told me that the women are wearing see-thru tights with thongs just for you.  ;D

andreisdaman

• Getbig V
« Reply #664 on: September 29, 2015, 01:22:39 PM »
you guys are going to burn yourselves out....not a criticism by any means...I'm proud of you guys....but slow it down a little ;)

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #665 on: September 29, 2015, 02:47:19 PM »
you guys are going to burn yourselves out....not a criticism by any means...I'm proud of you guys....but slow it down a little ;)

You can't be talking about me. If anything, I am too laid back (lazy) when it comes to exercise.

chaos

• Getbig V
« Reply #666 on: September 29, 2015, 07:56:06 PM »
Heavy squats and SLDL.
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #667 on: September 29, 2015, 08:51:12 PM »
Heavy squats and SLDL.

Almost two weeks slacking off and then a good leg workout has made me nicely sore. No heavy squats for me though, just leg presses for mass added weight.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #668 on: September 30, 2015, 04:12:12 PM »
Trained legs today:

Leg press 2 x 12
squat 2 x 8 then 1 x 1
machine squats 1 x 10
leg extension 2 x 20
seated leg curl 2 x 15
standing leg curl 2 x 12

One dumbbell side bends 1 x 15
Weighted crunches 1 x 50
Pulley crunches 2 x 25

Leg press calf raise 2 x 25
Standing calf raise 2 x 15
Seated calf raise 2 x 15

Neck work.

Used lighter weights than usual but still felt it.  Doing cardio tomorrow. I'm going to be careful with cardio though. When I do too much I get really thin and lifting starts getting really hard.  I think I shed too much muscle running. Just going to do a hard 2 miles tomorrow.  Maybe if I lifted all the time with moderate weights I can do both consistently.  Going to keep the run to 2 to 3 miles and see how it's working out. When I just took off recently 2 months of no cardio my lifting really took off. I also think I got leaner.   

Set It Up

• Getbig V
  • London--March 22-31
« Reply #669 on: September 30, 2015, 05:36:04 PM »
ran 3.5 miles in 45 minutes for a blisteringggggggggggg pace  ::) ::) ::)

chaos

• Getbig V
« Reply #670 on: September 30, 2015, 09:40:39 PM »
Heavy chest day. Terrible.
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #671 on: September 30, 2015, 10:18:36 PM »
Heavy chest day. Terrible.

Too bad about this. We all have off days when our workouts just aren't all we hoped they would be. Pride yourself on pushing through.

Conversely, we all have times when we had no ambition to workout but went to the gym anyway. Many times, these end up being the best workout experiences. Maybe this is because our expectations were set too high, so we couldn't help but to do better than expected.

My pecs suck more and more each day as I get older. That's nothing special though because when I look at other senior bodybuilders' photos, I see that many of them have the same issues as I do. Even the great Arnold's pecs have flattened out in the upper area. When he was a young man, he had amazing pec and chest development.

Lately, I have considered searching for the fountain of youth....or surgery (not).  ;D

Today was a workout day for me. It was also the day a new contractor started working on some exterior repairs needed prior to painting this "money pit" abode. It was good that I stayed home because I was needed to make some on the fly decisions. Why do these projects always end up more extensive than expected?

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #672 on: September 30, 2015, 10:21:34 PM »
ran 3.5 miles in 45 minutes for a blisteringggggggggggg pace  ::) ::) ::)

Your roll eyes are not lost on me. Are you sure you weren't just walking at a really slow pace with Potato at your side?

* Sorry about violating our agreement. I guess I just can't stick to it....but then it seems, neither can you.

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #673 on: October 01, 2015, 05:13:40 AM »
back/traps/calves/abs

FRONT PULLDOWNS X3
LOW CABLE ROWS 165/180/195
TBAR ROW ,2 PLATES.2.5/3 PLATES
SINGLE ARM UNDERHAND GRIP HAMMER STRENGHT PULLDOWNS X3 .GOD /STRETCH/PULL MACHINE WORKED UP TO 2 PLATES SIDE
3 SETS CHINS TO FINISH SETS 10-12 NARROW GRIP..

HYPERS 2 WEIGHTED 1 NON SETS 12/15

TRAPS
USED CHEST PRESS LIKE 'JAY'USES FOR SHRUGS ,,SUPERSETTED WITH 45 PLATE A HAND AND BROUGHT BACK TOWARDS REAR TO HIT UPPERBACK/TRAP...WORKED UP TO 3.5 PLATES ON THE PRESS..LOT OF REPS HERE..SORE TODAY.

CALVES
5 SETS STANDING CALF RAISE ..160/180/200/220/220

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #674 on: October 01, 2015, 06:55:13 PM »
Ran two miles today slow.  Slightly under 9 minute per mile pace.  Felt exhausted prior and I should have just rested but in the end I'm glad I did it. Tomorrow is back and delt.