Author Topic: Fast Food Workers - We want $15 and hour!  (Read 17548 times)

polychronopolous

• Getbig V
Re: Fast Food Workers - We want $15 and hour!
« Reply #225 on: August 30, 2013, 08:04:47 PM »
what we really need to do is destroy all corporations only small businesses the us was way better off without corporations.

Destroy all businesses, period. That'll show 'em!

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
  • Roger Bacon tries to be witty and fails
« Reply #226 on: August 30, 2013, 08:23:32 PM »
Destroy all businesses, period. That'll show 'em!

;D ;D ;D

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #227 on: August 30, 2013, 10:25:13 PM »
Of the jobs I did this week, one was set in a primary school and another was set in an industrial bakery, and they were both decorated exactly the same.  Cutesy cartoon animals on posters and floor mats directing their viewer to behave himself.  The bread production line ran on its rails and the people all moved on lines painted on the floor.  My skin crawled.  I see some variation of this theme almost everywhere I go.  Usually not involving cartoons, but always there's this cog-machine vibe and people exasperated as fuck by it.

As far as I can tell, the modern definition of a 'business model' is to give someone a handful of mind-numbingly sub-mental tasks to perform, and then keep them performing those tasks forever while treating them like a retarded six year old.  For extra points you can bill yourself as a benefactor of those who would surely wander the streets drooling without your charity.

It's interesting to note the repeated references to what someone is worth, as if a man is a static entity, operating at any given time near his maximal level of competence.  I also enjoy the implication that his worth is market dictated, or defined by level of income, and that any notion of innate human dignity is some fantastic, antiquated holdover from idealistic times, without any place in our modern, sophisticated world.  For proof we only need to examine the realities of the the marketplace.  See how that works?  The guru on the mountaintop is a greenback.  Eww.

Am I just romanticizing the past if I picture a time when a company trained workers?  I don't mean trained in the newspeak sense to perform a particular monkey-task like running the fry station, or how to follow a line of a different color painted on the floor, with a view to exactly how many pennies per minute will be returned.  I mean actively extended to its employees programs which benefit the employee and the company but for which it is more difficult to calculate a return.  I believe my old man got an MBA through a company subsidized or sponsored program.  That kind of thing.

What you have now is a nation of trained task specific accomplishers.  A nation of fry cooks and those who calculate the profitability of the cooking of the fries.  But when I picture a healthy nation this is not what I envision.  Wasn't there a time when men were generally capable individuals?  

It just comes down to what you think of people.  If you believe that they are generally lazy, dull, untrustworthy, etc, then you'll subscribe to the superior boss/ inferior worker model.  I believe people are generally inquisitive, have great potential, and are extremely capable if given the opportunity to develop, so I find the cubicle/ work station model pretty gross.

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
Translation: we can't let those brown people get a raise
[/quot
And like 95% of liberals and lazy people who live off the tax payers, you have no clue on how busi.essworks. you and people like you(liberals) are the primary.reason why this country is fucked.

LittleJ

• Getbig V
Translation: we can't let those brown people get a raise
[/quot
And like 95% of liberals and lazy people who live off the tax payers, you have no clue on how busi.essworks. you and people like you(liberals) are the primary.reason why this country is fucked.

I got a job.  ???

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
  • Fear is proof of a degenerate mind.
« Reply #230 on: August 30, 2013, 11:12:32 PM »
Of the jobs I did this week, one was set in a primary school and another was set in an industrial bakery, and they were both decorated exactly the same.  Cutesy cartoon animals on posters and floor mats directing their viewer to behave himself.  The bread production line ran on its rails and the people all moved on lines painted on the floor.  My skin crawled.  I see some variation of this theme almost everywhere I go.  Usually not involving cartoons, but always there's this cog-machine vibe and people exasperated as fuck by it.

As far as I can tell, the modern definition of a 'business model' is to give someone a handful of mind-numbingly sub-mental tasks to perform, and then keep them performing those tasks forever while treating them like a retarded six year old.  For extra points you can bill yourself as a benefactor of those who would surely wander the streets drooling without your charity.

It's interesting to note the repeated references to what someone is worth, as if a man is a static entity, operating at any given time near his maximal level of competence.  I also enjoy the implication that his worth is market dictated, or defined by level of income, and that any notion of innate human dignity is some fantastic, antiquated holdover from idealistic times, without any place in our modern, sophisticated world.  For proof we only need to examine the realities of the the marketplace.  See how that works?  The guru on the mountaintop is a greenback.  Eww.

Am I just romanticizing the past if I picture a time when a company trained workers?  I don't mean trained in the newspeak sense to perform a particular monkey-task like running the fry station, or how to follow a line of a different color painted on the floor, with a view to exactly how many pennies per minute will be returned.  I mean actively extended to its employees programs which benefit the employee and the company but for which it is more difficult to calculate a return.  I believe my old man got an MBA through a company subsidized or sponsored program.  That kind of thing.

What you have now is a nation of trained task specific accomplishers.  A nation of fry cooks and those who calculate the profitability of the cooking of the fries.  But when I picture a healthy nation this is not what I envision.  Wasn't there a time when men were generally capable individuals?  

It just comes down to what you think of people.  If you believe that they are generally lazy, dull, untrustworthy, etc, then you'll subscribe to the superior boss/ inferior worker model.  I believe people are generally inquisitive, have great potential, and are extremely capable if given the opportunity to develop, so I find the cubicle/ work station model pretty gross.
Food Service is laid out in that manner for efficiency and it is a wonderful system.  This is not intended to be any other way so I fail to grasp your initial gripe.

This is not a personal chef type of deal you know.  There are plenty of corporations and jobs to work where your mind and ideas are valued.  At all levels there has to be some sort of efficiency standards. 

RRKore

• Getbig IV
« Reply #231 on: August 30, 2013, 11:51:05 PM »
Currently the top comment on (left-leaning) Reddit about this topic:
When you give your opinion, also tell us WHY you have it.

And keep in mind you are talking to 23,242,000 households earning less than 20k a year, which accounts for 1 in 5 people, or 19.2% of Americans in a time when the minimum wage is 40 years behind the poverty line. You're talking to the 40% of Americans receiving federal aid because their wages are insufficient, which are the very same taxes your type of person would go on to complain about.

Meanwhile, the largest corporations are paying not 40+% tax rate like the average citizen (25% income, 6-10% sales tax, property taxes, licensing fees, car registrations, etc), but only 10%, or even 3%, or even negative percent are being paid tax incentives directly from taxpaying citizen pockets. And this isn't taking subsidies into consideration yet.

Nevermind that unemployment is over 10 official percent, and nevermind that unemployment is a carefully derived economics term that doesn't mean "people without jobs". There are 8 types of unemployment, of which the number you see on TV is only 1 of. The real number is somewhere closer to 35-40%, and is in addition to the number on welfare.

And don't forget that companies everywhere are posting record profits, while foreclosure rates in the US are the highest they've been in 2 generations, up 47% from 2007-2008 alone.

And worse, a college education has risen nearly 1000% (that means it cost 10x as much for a student to get a degree than it did for their parents and old-guard bosses who chastise them) since the 60s (wages stayed the same, mind you).

Did everyone already forget the uproar over the "McDonald's Budget" already? Did you know the real numbers were ran, and they came out to be short by $1550 a month?

So please, explain from your armchair your opinion to all 100 million of your fellow citizens earning less than 20k per household. We'll wait.

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
  • Fear is proof of a degenerate mind.
« Reply #232 on: August 31, 2013, 12:51:20 AM »
Currently the top comment on (left-leaning) Reddit about this topic:
When you give your opinion, also tell us WHY you have it.

And keep in mind you are talking to 23,242,000 households earning less than 20k a year, which accounts for 1 in 5 people, or 19.2% of Americans in a time when the minimum wage is 40 years behind the poverty line. You're talking to the 40% of Americans receiving federal aid because their wages are insufficient, which are the very same taxes your type of person would go on to complain about.

Meanwhile, the largest corporations are paying not 40+% tax rate like the average citizen (25% income, 6-10% sales tax, property taxes, licensing fees, car registrations, etc), but only 10%, or even 3%, or even negative percent are being paid tax incentives directly from taxpaying citizen pockets. And this isn't taking subsidies into consideration yet.

Nevermind that unemployment is over 10 official percent, and nevermind that unemployment is a carefully derived economics term that doesn't mean "people without jobs". There are 8 types of unemployment, of which the number you see on TV is only 1 of. The real number is somewhere closer to 35-40%, and is in addition to the number on welfare.

And don't forget that companies everywhere are posting record profits, while foreclosure rates in the US are the highest they've been in 2 generations, up 47% from 2007-2008 alone.

And worse, a college education has risen nearly 1000% (that means it cost 10x as much for a student to get a degree than it did for their parents and old-guard bosses who chastise them) since the 60s (wages stayed the same, mind you).

Did everyone already forget the uproar over the "McDonald's Budget" already? Did you know the real numbers were ran, and they came out to be short by $1550 a month?

So please, explain from your armchair your opinion to all 100 million of your fellow citizens earning less than 20k per household. We'll wait.

Find a job and sterilize yourself.  

That oughta do it.

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #233 on: August 31, 2013, 02:11:17 AM »
Food Service is laid out in that manner for efficiency and it is a wonderful system.  This is not intended to be any other way so I fail to grasp your initial gripe.

This is not a personal chef type of deal you know.  There are plenty of corporations and jobs to work where your mind and ideas are valued.  At all levels there has to be some sort of efficiency standards. 

Having individuals repeatedly perform the same simple tasks is dehumanizing.  This is what they coldly define as 'worker dissatisfaction.'  It is most easily spotted in low income positions, but is more or less pandemic.  

Efficiency is a fine thing and I strive for it myself, but more important is a balanced approach.  I like to make a buck as much as the next guy, but I find the supremacy of profit at the expense of all else a very silly thing.  And taken to extremes, as it is today, the quest for efficiency by monotony is itself inefficient since it fails to account for human nature and potential.

FitnessFrenzy

• Getbig V
  • evolving
« Reply #234 on: August 31, 2013, 02:14:49 AM »
In this world, you don't want anything. You fucking earn what you want.

FitnessFrenzy

• Getbig V
  • evolving
« Reply #235 on: August 31, 2013, 02:15:56 AM »
15 an hour is way too much for them to get paid dont u think? 10 an hour is fair

15 an hour will obviously make the fast food more expensive. Do you guys want this?

Andy Griffin

• Getbig V
  • I know my own name, bitch.
« Reply #236 on: August 31, 2013, 02:47:31 AM »
All these experts who are so much smarter and more "sensitive" than all the "evil corporations" should open their own companies and employ the hordes of unemployed and underemployed...show these "evil corporations" that your superior ideas about business will create a better world for everyone.   ::)
~

RRKore

• Getbig IV
« Reply #237 on: August 31, 2013, 04:27:06 AM »
15 an hour will obviously make the fast food more expensive. Do you guys want this?

yes (IDGAF about fast food)

RRKore

• Getbig IV
« Reply #238 on: August 31, 2013, 04:30:50 AM »

That oughta do it.

I'm gonna guess that that answer would be downvoted on Reddit.

Andy Griffin

• Getbig V
« Reply #239 on: August 31, 2013, 04:31:51 AM »

The more short-sighted getbiggers will say that it doesn't matter, that they don't eat fast food, blah blah blah.

What they fail to realize is that if the price of fast food goes up, the prices at all the five star restaurants these guys visit when they give their personal chefs the night off  ::)   will also skyrocket.
~

Wiggs

• Getbig V
  • Child of Y'srael
« Reply #240 on: August 31, 2013, 04:54:15 AM »

That oughta do it.

As usual, no logical or productive retort from the seed of Satan.

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #241 on: August 31, 2013, 05:26:56 AM »
All these experts who are so much smarter and more "sensitive" than all the "evil corporations" should open their own companies and employ the hordes of unemployed and underemployed...show these "evil corporations" that your superior ideas about business will create a better world for everyone.   ::)

I would but I can't stand people.

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #242 on: August 31, 2013, 05:48:24 AM »
the quest for efficiency by monotony is itself inefficient since it fails to account for human nature and potential.

So, you believe that implementing a more elaborate/complex operation for flipping mass numbers of burgers is more efficient than the "monotonous" method used now? How do you suggest they change their operation model while remaining efficient?

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
  • Call the vet, cause these pythons are sick!
« Reply #243 on: August 31, 2013, 05:54:14 AM »
Leave my $1 menu alone bitches!

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #244 on: August 31, 2013, 06:21:45 AM »

the same people arguing for the $15 have no idea how businesses work, all they know is they deserve more even though tons of people would love their jobs and that the corps are evil

"those that have money dont care and they didnt work hard for their riches so why should the rest of us?"

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
  • Go back to making jewelry and cakes with your girl
« Reply #245 on: August 31, 2013, 06:24:10 AM »
Idiots can't even get orders correct and they want double the pay?  ::)

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #246 on: August 31, 2013, 06:32:17 AM »

Fast food places, on average, screw up my order at least 1 time out of 3.  :-\ :-\ :'( :'(
X

Andy Griffin

• Getbig V
« Reply #247 on: August 31, 2013, 06:37:12 AM »

Excellent observation.
~

LittleJ

• Getbig V
« Reply #248 on: August 31, 2013, 06:46:03 AM »

That oughta do it.

You're never work a day in your life. What do you know about a job?

LittleJ

• Getbig V
« Reply #249 on: August 31, 2013, 06:54:12 AM »
I disagree with the unskilled part. A place like McD's is a crazy system. Look at the food a high volume store turns out in an hour during lunch. Construction dudes can sit around and smoke weed and talk about bitches.

The hardest job I've ever worked at was construction and demolition on a military base. Working 10-14 hours a day in steel toes is brutal. Not to mention all the hazards that come along with it. Many breaks is needed to survive during this type of work.