Author Topic: Fast Food Workers - We want $15 and hour!  (Read 17553 times)

WillRiker

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
Re: Fast Food Workers - We want $15 and hour!
« Reply #250 on: August 31, 2013, 08:06:59 AM »
Isn't Detroit a perfect example of what happens when you artificially inflate wages?  ???

You create a bubble that has to be deflated or pop.

It's great for a while though, and the politicians look like saints.

The American auto industry ("Detroit") did not collapsed because of ' high'  wages, it collapsed because they failed to invest in better and economically efficient cars.

High wages does not mean a damn thing, unit labour costs is the key paramater. On average the wage of a Chinese employee is still a fraction of his Japanese counterpart, however cost per unit is still lower in Japan for certain goods.

Furthermore, if wages go up people can spend more... Why do you think Henry Ford paid his workers relatively high salaries and thus creating it's own demand.

FitnessFrenzy

• Getbig V
  • evolving
« Reply #251 on: August 31, 2013, 08:42:15 AM »
As usual, no logical or productive retort from the seed of Satan.

Adonis is so tedious with all his bullshit.

Croatch

• Getbig V
  • Man up, train natural.
Good for them. I hope they get it. If you take the $2.00 minimum wage Martin Luther King Jr. wanted back in his day and adjust it for inflation, it equals to 15.25 today. The should be a mandatory minimum wage of at least $15.00 per hour. Republicans will argue it will cause them not to hire or spend money on their businesses. Too fucking bad. There's been nothing to show raising the minimum wage has a negative effect on business overall. Look back in history. It never has. The poor and the people that aren't that blessed (or cursed) with intellect have the right to earn a living to take care of their family. The companies make billions of dollars and it can be said since it's not automated yet, no fast foodworkers, no fast food.

I've never worked fast food and never would. But these people take a beating on a daily basis from assholes around the country for shit money. At least $15.00 would kinda make it worth and would put them in a better financial situation. Then you can kick people off welfare and that's alot of money saved there also.
Bad argument. The higher minimum wage is, the fewer a company can employ. It seems many fail to see this. $20hr minimum wage sounds great, now cut half the jobs...oops.
N

Jack T. Cross

• Getbig V
  • Using Surveillance for Political Subversion(?)
« Reply #253 on: August 31, 2013, 12:29:13 PM »
Of the jobs I did this week, one was set in a primary school and another was set in an industrial bakery, and they were both decorated exactly the same.  Cutesy cartoon animals on posters and floor mats directing their viewer to behave himself.  The bread production line ran on its rails and the people all moved on lines painted on the floor.  My skin crawled.  I see some variation of this theme almost everywhere I go.  Usually not involving cartoons, but always there's this cog-machine vibe and people exasperated as fuck by it.

As far as I can tell, the modern definition of a 'business model' is to give someone a handful of mind-numbingly sub-mental tasks to perform, and then keep them performing those tasks forever while treating them like a retarded six year old.  For extra points you can bill yourself as a benefactor of those who would surely wander the streets drooling without your charity.

It's interesting to note the repeated references to what someone is worth, as if a man is a static entity, operating at any given time near his maximal level of competence.  I also enjoy the implication that his worth is market dictated, or defined by level of income, and that any notion of innate human dignity is some fantastic, antiquated holdover from idealistic times, without any place in our modern, sophisticated world.  For proof we only need to examine the realities of the the marketplace.  See how that works?  The guru on the mountaintop is a greenback.  Eww.

Am I just romanticizing the past if I picture a time when a company trained workers?  I don't mean trained in the newspeak sense to perform a particular monkey-task like running the fry station, or how to follow a line of a different color painted on the floor, with a view to exactly how many pennies per minute will be returned.  I mean actively extended to its employees programs which benefit the employee and the company but for which it is more difficult to calculate a return.  I believe my old man got an MBA through a company subsidized or sponsored program.  That kind of thing.

What you have now is a nation of trained task specific accomplishers.  A nation of fry cooks and those who calculate the profitability of the cooking of the fries.  But when I picture a healthy nation this is not what I envision.  Wasn't there a time when men were generally capable individuals?  

It just comes down to what you think of people.  If you believe that they are generally lazy, dull, untrustworthy, etc, then you'll subscribe to the superior boss/ inferior worker model.  I believe people are generally inquisitive, have great potential, and are extremely capable if given the opportunity to develop, so I find the cubicle/ work station model pretty gross.

Nice, Tapeworm. Seriously sweet.

Jack T. Cross

• Getbig V
« Reply #254 on: August 31, 2013, 12:37:00 PM »
...man, to see TW's comments be so perfectly followed by Coach like that, it's just too much. You couldn't make this shit up.

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
  • Call the vet, cause these pythons are sick!
« Reply #255 on: August 31, 2013, 12:46:34 PM »
Henry Ford was a great, patriotic American. People should educate themselves about him. His main priority was making money but he was a patriot too. Today's CEOs only care about making money.

Patriot?  Wasnt ole Henry a supporter of Hitler?

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
  • Fear is proof of a degenerate mind.
« Reply #256 on: August 31, 2013, 01:23:24 PM »
ROFLMAO!!!!

I just had to drive all the way back to Burger King just now to get my Fries that they left out of my bag.  I was the ONLY order taken in at least 10 minutes, nobody was in line. 

15 dollars an hour and they can`t even get this right. LOLOLOLOLOL

_bruce_

• Getbig V
  • Sam Sesambröt Sulek
Imagine if Getbig opened a chain of seafood restaurants called Mudshark.

;D ;D ;D

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
« Reply #258 on: August 31, 2013, 01:24:45 PM »
ROFLMAO!!!!

I just had to drive all the way back to Burger King just now to get my Fries that they left out of my bag.  I was the ONLY order taken in at least 10 minutes, nobody was in line. 

15 dollars an hour and they can`t even get this right. LOLOLOLOLOL

Should have went to Skippy's!    8)

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #259 on: August 31, 2013, 01:27:51 PM »
Should have went to Skippy's!    8)
No doubt.  I didn`t even get an apology.  No, "I am sorry" or explanation of how it happened or an incentive for their mistake.

hahahha  yet they want people to take them seriously for 15 an hour. HAHAHAAHH

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
« Reply #260 on: August 31, 2013, 01:36:24 PM »
No doubt.  I didn`t even get an apology.  No, "I am sorry" or explanation of how it happened or an incentive for their mistake.

hahahha  yet they want people to take them seriously for 15 an hour. HAHAHAAHH

It is so moronic that I cant even take it seriously.  I suggest that all these turds who think they are underpaid to start tipping them. 

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #261 on: August 31, 2013, 01:39:25 PM »
It is so moronic that I cant even take it seriously.  I suggest that all these turds who think they are underpaid to start tipping them. 
These morons who think that way admit they don`t like fast food so I don`t know why they even should have a say in any of it.  They aren`t consumers nor are they shareholders, yet they are the ones with the loudest mouth, throwing tantrums like a child.

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #262 on: August 31, 2013, 01:40:22 PM »
The only thing I did get a comment on was how nice my Mercedes was.  ::)

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
« Reply #263 on: August 31, 2013, 01:42:26 PM »
These morons who think that way admit they don`t like fast food so I don`t know why they even should have a say in any of it.  They aren`t consumers nor are they shareholders, yet they are the ones with the loudest mouth, throwing tantrums like a child.

Typical.  I was having a discussion with someone about the NEA one day. I suggested they should sponsor an artist and truly become a patron. They just stared at me blankly and then continued to rant about how it should receive more funding.   :-\

Voice of Doom

• Getbig IV
  • Everything is under control.
« Reply #264 on: August 31, 2013, 01:48:46 PM »
But this theory of our government is wholly different from the practical fact. The fact is that the government, like a highwayman, says to a man: 'Your money, or your life.' And many, if not most, taxes are paid under the compulsion of that threat - Lysander Spooner

First they take your property as they see fit.  Now you're ready for them to tell you what you can pay a man for his work...or what you can accept for your labors?

Forward Soviet!  ::)

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #265 on: August 31, 2013, 01:49:04 PM »
Typical.  I was having a discussion with someone about the NEA one day. I suggested they should sponsor an artist and truly become a patron. They just stared at me blankly and then continued to rant about how it should receive more funding.   :-\
One of my "neighbors" is a Landscape Architect and a Professor at NCSU and its ridiculous how much money he gets in endowments and grants.  Thousands and thousands of dollars to "install" art in places.  Care to tell me what this one is?  ???  I think this one was worth 10 -15,000 for some disassembled tents paid for by the city via tax dollars.

haider

• Getbig V
  • Team Batman Squats
« Reply #266 on: August 31, 2013, 01:50:36 PM »
I have found that very rarely do fast food places fuck up my order. It's only human to err.
follow the arrows

BRO

• Getbig III
Bad argument. The higher minimum wage is, the fewer a company can employ. It seems many fail to see this. $20hr minimum wage sounds great, now cut half the jobs...oops.

Then fast food becomes, moderately fast food.

;D

Why not raise the cost of a burger by a few dollars a piece? They could use the revenue to pay their employees, AND curb the growing obesity pandemic...

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #268 on: August 31, 2013, 01:53:24 PM »
Typical.  I was having a discussion with someone about the NEA one day. I suggested they should sponsor an artist and truly become a patron. They just stared at me blankly and then continued to rant about how it should receive more funding.   :-\
I remember Bill Maher saying that we should get rid of the NEA.  Start@50 seconds

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
« Reply #269 on: August 31, 2013, 01:54:00 PM »
One of my "neighbors" is a Landscape Architect and a Professor at NCSU and its ridiculous how much money he gets in endowments and grants.  Thousands and thousands of dollars to "install" art in places.  Care to tell me what this one is?  ???  I think this one was worth 10 -15,000 for some disassembled tents paid for by the city via tax dollars.

$100 in material and $10k+ in his pocket.    :-\

Like wirh most grants its just all about the skill of writing it.  Sad. 

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #270 on: August 31, 2013, 02:03:52 PM »
$100 in material and $10k+ in his pocket.    :-\

Like wirh most grants its just all about the skill of writing it.  Sad.  

They have a penchant for fucking things up and making things worse.  This "sculpture" "Boque for Davidson" in Davidson County was done by one of Jezebelles Professors, Andy Dunnill.  I met him and he was really an asshole.

Here is the before picture at the Davidson County Post Office.

Here is the after.  WHAT THE FUCK?

He was paid 36,000 DOLLARS FOR THIS SHIT.

Nobody likes it.

FitnessFrenzy

• Getbig V
  • evolving
« Reply #271 on: August 31, 2013, 02:14:45 PM »
When the Chinese start exporting the .50 an hour jobs to this country, and their standard of living starts to surpass ours, we will have really reaped the benefits of "free market" economics. And the heads of the multi-national corporations won't care because the 1 percent will still be doing fine.

a lot of nonsense in this post. Here are some facts and things to consider:

- now, the wages are mostly going up in China. Cheap labour is moving to other Asian countries to some extent.

- the rich Chinese people desire western luxury products (e.g. Louis Vuitton, Audi..). This will of course keep western jobs in those companies for those who managed to get a relevant university education.

- a lot of businesses all over the world, also in Europe and the US, see exponential growth rates if they are able to be first movers on an emerging business segment. This is also true for some small companies.

- Creative thinking and branding can go a long way. I think the owner of the clothes company Diamond would agree as he cruises around in his Ferrari.:

Jack T. Cross

• Getbig V
« Reply #272 on: August 31, 2013, 02:25:23 PM »
But this theory of our government is wholly different from the practical fact. The fact is that the government, like a highwayman, says to a man: 'Your money, or your life.' And many, if not most, taxes are paid under the compulsion of that threat - Lysander Spooner

First they take your property as they see fit.  Now you're ready for them to tell you what you can pay a man for his work...or what you can accept for your labors?

Government and corporation have become the same. So what you say about one, you mean about the other, as well.

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
  • Roger Bacon tries to be witty and fails
« Reply #273 on: August 31, 2013, 02:27:33 PM »
Now you're ready for them to tell you what you can pay a man for his work...or what you can accept for your labors?

This sums up the entire thread.

woolenbus

• Getbig II
« Reply #274 on: August 31, 2013, 03:58:59 PM »
Instead of some CEO making 30 mill a year why not cut his check to 25 mill a year and give everyone a raise. Its what happened to hostess