Author Topic: I am joining a new gym this week!  (Read 16028 times)

ripitupbaby

• Getbig V
  • 2010 Olympia Pro Powerlifting Champ
I am joining a new gym this week!
« on: January 02, 2008, 07:59:29 AM »
I figured a good way to start 2008 would be a new gym!  I've been at my gym for at least 4 years now, and I am sick of it. 
My current gym has it's pros and cons.  It's old, dirty, and run down, but it's empty, quiet, and they leave you alone and let you do pretty much whatever you want.  The equipment is kind of crappy, and a lot of the cardio machines don't work.  They haven't done anything to update it since I have been there, and it's getting kind of gross.  The old manager left a few weeks ago, and the woman who runs it now is a bitch.  She yelled at me twice the last couple of weeks for wearing my sneakers from outside into the gym, as if it was going to make the gym any dirtier.   ::)
However, it's a Golds Gym, and my membership gives me access to all of the Golds in the area, including one that's open 24 hours about 20 mins away.  I'm going to lose access to that, which is a bummer. 

We decided to get a week pass to the "Workout Club" down the street, which has been there forever, but I always figured it was kind of a lame gym, so I never checked it out.  Well, it's pretty sweet, and I am pysched!  It's CLEAN, the equipment is all new, there is a lot more variety, and the cardio theater is SWEET.  There is a brand new facility opening about 15 minutes south, which we will also have access to.  It's a little foo-foo facility (the ones with the juice bars and all that stupid crap), but it's going to have a huge rock climbing wall in the center of it.   ;D

I think that a new gym will really get me motivated for training and inspired for my contest prep this year.  The change of scenery will be nice.  I've only been in there once so far, but here are a few things I noticed, good and bad:

+ They have two power racks.  There were none in my old gym.
+ Dumbells go up to 150 pounds (good for my husband lol)
+ They have rowing machines...I love rowing machines and I have missed them so much!
+ They have ribcage pullover machines, which I have also missed. 
+ FOUR stepmills (versus two), and they all work!!
+ There is a separate "ab room" with tons of equipment in it.
- The benches are all "new" and sort of fancy...they have these built-in racks that slant upwards, and they are all sorts of adjustable, etc.  I prefer the straight-up old-school benches, nothing fancy.  So it's gonna take a little getting used to.  They are a little lower to the ground, though, which is nice for me.  I wonder what they will say when I drag in 80 pounds of chains tomorrow.   :D

Now my next challenge will be to talk them in to sponsoring my membership.   ;D

:)

Luv2Hurt

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
Re: I am joining a new gym this week!
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2008, 08:55:49 AM »
Man thats very cool rip!  I always felt the other gym was holding you back some from the lack of certain equipment.  When they built a new larger/better equipped gym for us i compared it to a fish getting put in a bigger tank, they get bigger LOL.

Have fun! and what a cool way to start the new year  ;D  look forward to hearing your experiences there.  Mine is kind of the same type gym, which like you said is good and bad.  i would say the worst part of mine is all the idiots who have no etiquette and don't know how to act in a gym.  Sometimes it's funny though to see the stuff that goes on.  I find myself saying to myself, Oh Lord have mercy, many times on some of the shit I see.

ripitupbaby

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2008, 09:17:45 AM »
Yeah, I'm pretty sure you'll get alot of beginner crap in most of the "mainstream" gyms these days.  There's always something amusing going on!  Especially at the foo-foo type gyms.   ::)

There isn't much I'll miss about my old gym...just the benches and the emptiness (it's sooo easy to do supersets!), access to the 24 hour gym, and I will miss the Nautilus compound row machine, which I LOVE. 
The machines at the new place are all different though, so the change will be good.  I can't remember the brand...they have a lot of Hammer Strength machines, and some Cybex stuff, but they have a whole section of this other brand, which I will have to remember to check out again tonight.

Butterbean

• Special Guests
  • Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2008, 10:45:44 AM »
  She yelled at me twice the last couple of weeks for wearing my sneakers from outside into the gym,
I've never heard of anything like this happening.  Is the gym in her house? oh brother  ::)

However, it's a Golds Gym, and my membership gives me access to all of the Golds in the area, including one that's open 24 hours about 20 mins away.  I'm going to lose access to that, which is a bummer. 

As far as I know if you continue to pay your Gold's fee you will always stay at the same rate and have access to all Gold's gyms. 
R

danielson

• Getbig V
  • Basile likes young lads
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2008, 11:09:36 AM »
I joined this super hardcore gym this morning. ;D
E

Deadpool

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2008, 11:16:54 AM »
hey you know the planet fatness gyms are jampacked with cardio stuff plus they have a nice tanning facility

but they try to drive out bodybuilders, persecution wise
X

danielson

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2008, 11:18:37 AM »
hey you know the planet fatness gyms are jampacked with cardio stuff plus they have a nice tanning facility

but they try to drive out bodybuilders, persecution wise
Thats good to hear.
E

ripitupbaby

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2008, 11:22:32 AM »
Thats good to hear.

Oh brother.  ::)
There is actually a PF right down the street that's open 24 hours, but I couldn't bring myself to do it.  PF hates bodybuilders, powerlifters, and people who actually train hard.  If you don't train around people who like to train and who train hard, you will not have as much motivation to train harder yourself, and you will not have anyone to learn from in the gym.

danielson

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2008, 11:25:02 AM »

Oh brother.  ::)
There is actually a PF right down the street that's open 24 hours, but I couldn't bring myself to do it.  PF hates bodybuilders, powerlifters, and people who actually train hard.  If you don't train around people who like to train and who train hard, you will not have as much motivation to train harder yourself, and you will not have anyone to learn from in the gym.

Did I mention it had free tanning? It's only 240 bucks for the year, if I don't like it, then I go back to Worlds and lose a few dollars. other than the dumbbells though I really don't see the problems. Big, clean nice place.
E

danielson

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2008, 11:37:38 AM »
Hey Rip, what kind of perks does your gym have? Notice that I can now bring anyone I want with me to the gym, that saves a lot of money. I pay 10 bucks a pop to workout with my buddy Meathead. Do you get a free  T-shirt?(actually they said they were out, but I got a voucher). Half price cooler drinks? That's a lot of savings. We have all seen my key tag, thats pretty sweet too. Massage chairs? Sounds like heaven to me!
E

ripitupbaby

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2008, 11:57:25 AM »
Hey Rip, what kind of perks does your gym have? Notice that I can now bring anyone I want with me to the gym, that saves a lot of money. I pay 10 bucks a pop to workout with my buddy Meathead. Do you get a free  T-shirt?(actually they said they were out, but I got a voucher). Half price cooler drinks? That's a lot of savings. We have all seen my key tag, thats pretty sweet too. Massage chairs? Sounds like heaven to me!

I'm surprised they let you bring a guest for EVERY workout.  So I could join and just bring my husband for free every time?  That sounds fishy to me.

I haven't signed up yet, but you usually get a t-shirt everywhere you sign up (which ends up being a garage rag).  Tanning is the same, unlimited for $240 a year, and very very nice tanning beds.  I got Athlete's Foot from the fkn tanning bed at my old gym....gross!!   :P

I don't really use a lot of the perks and ammenities...I go to the gym for good, clean equipment, lots of variety, and heavy weights. 

I actually think that I'll be the only BB/competitor at this gym, but that's mainly because of where I live.  I'm fairly certain this gym will be supportive of BB and powerlifting.  We'll see what happens when I drag the chains in there tomorrow night. 

danielson

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2008, 12:02:21 PM »

I'm surprised they let you bring a guest for EVERY workout.  So I could join and just bring my husband for free every time?  That sounds fishy to me.

Well, they had a 10 dollar a month option, but then you get none of the sweet perks like the key tag. I am assuming that since you are basically paying double they don't care if you drag someone along with you every time.
E

ripitupbaby

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2008, 12:05:30 PM »
Well, they had a 10 dollar a month option, but then you get none of the sweet perks like the key tag. I am assuming that since you are basically paying double they don't care if you drag someone along with you every time.

I hope you never make any noise while you are training, or drop any weights.  The "lunk alarm" will go off.   ::)

danielson

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2008, 12:10:42 PM »

I hope you never make any noise while you are training, or drop any weights.  The "lunk alarm" will go off.   ::)

Don't be hating on all my perks. Energy drinks for 1.50$! You hear that sound? Thats the sound of all the money I am going to save jingling in my pocket!
E

danielson

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2008, 12:16:02 PM »
You know what is fishy though, I tried to write them a check for 240 for the year, but they said I HAD to give them my routing number and they would take out 20 bucks a month. I am not crazy about giving out my routing number, but like I already said, you can't beat the perks. I do wonder why they can't just take the money up front? I bet they are gonna stick me with some charges or something and I won't even know it.
E

ripitupbaby

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2008, 12:31:37 PM »
You know what is fishy though, I tried to write them a check for 240 for the year, but they said I HAD to give them my routing number and they would take out 20 bucks a month. I am not crazy about giving out my routing number, but like I already said, you can't beat the perks. I do wonder why they can't just take the money up front? I bet they are gonna stick me with some charges or something and I won't even know it.

I wouldn't be surprised.  I think it works out better for them somehow if it's done monthly through an EFT, maybe it shows them bringing in more money per month or something.

OH, and you could save yourself a great deal of money if you just forego the energy drinks altogether.  Have a cup of coffee.   :)

danielson

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2008, 12:40:10 PM »

I wouldn't be surprised.  I think it works out better for them somehow if it's done monthly through an EFT, maybe it shows them bringing in more money per month or something.

OH, and you could save yourself a great deal of money if you just forego the energy drinks altogether.  Have a cup of coffee.   :)

Coffee is good, I am drinking it now. TBH, I went in there about two weeks ago and didn't give it much thought, but I noticed that they were waving the 99 dollar start up fee till the 1st, which was yesterday. For whatever reason I called to see what the start up fee was now that the promotion was over, knowing that I wanted a change in scenery at least for a few months and the girl was like "well, we haven't heard from corporate yet, so if you get down here soon we will still waive the start up fee for you, but tomorrow it's 99 dollars". So I went and joined cuz I am a sucker, but for real the perks are sweet. Don't you wish you and your husband could BOTH train for 20 bucks a month?
E

ripitupbaby

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2008, 12:47:00 PM »
Coffee is good, I am drinking it now. TBH, I went in there about two weeks ago and didn't give it much thought, but I noticed that they were waving the 99 dollar start up fee till the 1st, which was yesterday. For whatever reason I called to see what the start up fee was now that the promotion was over, knowing that I wanted a change in scenery at least for a few months and the girl was like "well, we haven't heard from corporate yet, so if you get down here soon we will still waive the start up fee for you, but tomorrow it's 99 dollars". So I went and joined cuz I am a sucker, but for real the perks are sweet. Don't you wish you and your husband could BOTH train for 20 bucks a month?

Yeah, but I need to train at what I consider to be a GOOD gym, and PF just isn't it. 
The new gym I am joining is only $20 a month for each of us, so that's $40 total, and I am still going to try to talk them into sponsoring at least my membership, if not both of ours.

danielson

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2008, 12:55:41 PM »

Yeah, but I need to train at what I consider to be a GOOD gym, and PF just isn't it. 
The new gym I am joining is only $20 a month for each of us, so that's $40 total, and I am still going to try to talk them into sponsoring at least my membership, if not both of ours.

We don't have those type of gyms around here really. I paid 300 a year at Worlds, but that was because my buddy owns it, but it is a real shithole. He never fixes the equipment. I think it's normally 45 a month or something like that. The big one that we have is 200 for a start up and 70 a month, but that is too far so I just go with my buddy sometimes, like when I was training him to chicken out for the Mr. Getbig. ::) I don't know why gyms charge so much around here tbh. Maybe cuz we are close to Pontiac and they want to keep the crackheads out. I can't wait to go to PF and wear a spaghetti string tank top(can you PM me where your hubby gets his? ;)) and some Zubaz and grunt and groan like a lunatic ;D
E

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2008, 12:59:54 PM »
I wonder what they will say when I drag in 80 pounds of chains tomorrow.   :D

Rip, congratulations and good luck with your new training environment.
I changed gyms in Nov. of 2006, and from a progress standpoint, it was one of the better moves I’ve made.

But a word of caution…
You may wish to verify with management that you can use all of your “accessories” like chalk, chains, etc. BEFORE signing that membership form and locking yourselves in.

Be very clear in explaining exactly how you train and ask them to be very clear in explaining what they do and don’t allow in their facility.

Good luck!

ripitupbaby

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2008, 01:02:40 PM »
I can't wait to go to PF and wear a spaghetti string tank top(can you PM me where your hubby gets his? ;)) and some Zubaz and grunt and groan like a lunatic ;D

hahaha...Spaghetti strings should at least be reserved for people who have something to show off.   ;)

ripitupbaby

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2008, 01:10:01 PM »
Rip, congratulations and good luck with your new training environment.
I changed gyms in Nov. of 2006, and from a progress standpoint, it was one of the better moves I’ve made.

But a word of caution…
You may wish to verify with management that you can use all of your “accessories” like chalk, chains, etc. BEFORE signing that membership form and locking yourselves in.

Be very clear in explaining exactly how you train and ask them to be very clear in explaining what they do and don’t allow in their facility.

Good luck!

Thanks!

I'm gonna definitely check into that first.  I have a guest pass for this whole week, and I am going to bring the chains tomorrow and ask them first.  I hope they don't have a problem (I'm a small girl, and I can smile alot, so maybe I can sweet talk them ;D)...it's not the end of the world if they have a problem with it, as I only work with the chains every other week, and I can always drive up and use my friend's bench at his supplement store for the chain workouts (I already do that for my shirt workouts), but it's just more of a pain in the ass.  I'm assuming boards and bands aren't a problem, but I'll check into that too.

Deadpool

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2008, 05:20:55 PM »
I go to the World's near work.  Good enviornment.  Unfortunately Planet Fitness bought the World Gym franchise so we'll see what happens
X

ripitupbaby

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2008, 03:45:09 AM »
I looked around a little more last night.  The equipment is a combination of Hammer Strength, Life Fitness, and some brand called Technogym.  They have a ton of Hammer Strength, which I love.

Last night, we were training, and I hit a couple poses in the mirror to see how I'm looking, and my husband was like "you can't pose in here yet FFS, you're still on a guest pass!  Do you want to guarantee that you won't get your membership?!"   ;D

Luv2Hurt

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2008, 04:37:07 AM »
I looked around a little more last night.  The equipment is a combination of Hammer Strength, Life Fitness, and some brand called Technogym.  They have a ton of Hammer Strength, which I love.

Last night, we were training, and I hit a couple poses in the mirror to see how I'm looking, and my husband was like "you can't pose in here yet FFS, you're still on a guest pass!  Do you want to guarantee that you won't get your membership?!"   ;D

LOL trying to peice together what FFS means?  ;D  No way it could be what Im thinking LOL