Author Topic: Bulking is a terrible idea  (Read 128159 times)

chuckles

Re: Bulking is a terrible idea
« Reply #450 on: February 04, 2018, 06:30:52 AM »
I can understand your reasoning & it’s hard to fault,
Only let me ask

Has anyone developed leg development to match Platz & Demayo solely from doing leg extensions?

Or chest development to rival Arnold’s & Bertil’s Just from doing pec-dec or just dB flys ?

I doubt it - Though I await to be proved wrong if I am i’ll Have re-evaluate my own ides.(  ??? Ha. )

Being honest here i just can't be bothered to get into a discussion with a known troll on here. He knows what i am talking about but maybe He's too weak for heavy squats. Maybe he got injured due to incorrect training form so he feels hostile to squats.

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
« Reply #451 on: February 04, 2018, 06:36:54 AM »
Being honest here i just can't be bothered to get into a discussion with a known troll on here. He knows what i am talking about but maybe He's too weak for heavy squats. Maybe he got injured due to incorrect training form so he feels hostile to squats.

quarter squats are good for sport and power but won't do much to increase your leg size

did them to increase my verticle leap and they worked very well, gained no leg size from them though, but wasn't trying though, just wanted to increase power and it did

Nether Animal

• Getbig V
  • Team Mower Forever
« Reply #452 on: February 04, 2018, 06:40:52 AM »

How do you know he's a troll, having just joined ~2 months ago and only having a handful of posts...? Seems like you have an awful lot of axes to grind even if you were a longtime lurker.

chuckles

« Reply #453 on: February 04, 2018, 07:11:19 AM »
How do you know he's a troll, having just joined ~2 months ago and only having a handful of posts...? Seems like you have an awful lot of axes to grind even if you were a longtime lurker.
no axes to grind bro , just training talk. so he is a troll? confirmed what i thought.

Nether Animal

• Getbig V
  • Team Mower Forever
« Reply #454 on: February 04, 2018, 07:26:21 AM »
no axes to grind bro , just training talk. so he is a troll? confirmed what i thought.

Yes, a very effective one. Has made multiple posters melt down like candles in a furnace.

be back

« Reply #455 on: February 04, 2018, 07:36:13 AM »
I can understand your reasoning & it’s hard to fault,
Only let me ask

Has anyone developed leg development to match Platz & Demayo solely from doing leg extensions?

Or chest development to rival Arnold’s & Bertil’s Just from doing pec-dec or just dB flys ?

I doubt it - Though I await to be proved wrong if I am i’ll Have re-evaluate my own ides.(  ??? Ha. )

they developed exceptional legs because it was down to their genetics, some people can squat all their lives and their legs never improve.
The problem I have with squats v intensity is that the low back is likely to give out before you have fully stressed the legs.
the amount of intensity you can put on quads is what will likely make them grow

Squat by all means but I would argue that squats should be done as a core stability exercise rather than a leg exercise, if people thought like that they are less likely to blow a disc.

I have never really done any heavy squats, I used to do heavy leg press but thats it.
I now lift weights less than some of the women in the gym yet my legs are improving at 52 years of age

chuckles

« Reply #456 on: February 04, 2018, 07:53:05 AM »
Yes, a very effective one. Has made multiple posters melt down like candles in a furnace.
well this about training & not Forum games.
they developed exceptional legs because it was down to their genetics, some people can squat all their lives and their legs never improve.
The problem I have with squats v intensity is that the low back is likely to give out before you have fully stressed the legs.

Squat by all means but I would argue that squats should be done as a core stability exercise rather than a leg exercise, if people thought like that they are less likely to blow a disc.

I have never really done any heavy squats, I used to do heavy leg press but thats it.
I now lift weights less than some of the women in the gym yet my legs are improving at 52 years of age
If you have never squated heavy you do not understand. Also remember squats come in variations. what can you front squat? I am willing to bet you have never tried these either. Leg press & Hack squat are OK but will never build Quads,Hammies,LOWER BACK like the back squat. You do not understand the squat or it's variations.

be back

« Reply #457 on: February 04, 2018, 07:58:08 AM »
well this about training & not Forum games. If you have never squated heavy you do not understand. Also remember squats come in variations. what can you front squat? I am willing to bet you have never tried these either. Leg press & Hack squat are OK but will never build Quads,Hammies,LOWER BACK like the back squat. You do not understand the squat or it's variations.

I have bulging discs in my low back, I cant squat, the only time I have ever squatted I have ended up injured, I used to do smith machine squats but eventually hurt myself doing them, so rather than spending months every year injured I felt it was more beneficial to eliminate them and train a whole year health.

I have never said squats are not beneficial for leg development Im just saying your muscles have no idea what exercise you are doing they just respond to stimulus applied to them so you can still build legs without squats.

illuminati

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • The Strongest Shall Survive.- - Lest we Forget.
« Reply #458 on: February 04, 2018, 09:51:58 AM »

The part about Platz & Demayo having great leg genetics no doubt true
That isn’t what I was asking though
Would they have achieved the same development from just leg extensions & leg curls
Likewise with the Arnold & Bertil example would they have achieved the same development
From just pec-dec or flyes.

Weight is one factor among many that are Jigsaw puzzle of “weight training/ bodybuilding”

The issues around squats or any other exercise being the cause of injuries is completely different to stimulating muscular growth.

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
« Reply #459 on: February 04, 2018, 10:15:48 AM »
I train each muscle every 48 hrs

Is it too often ???

DroppingPlates

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team Pocahontas
« Reply #460 on: February 04, 2018, 10:21:46 AM »
I train each muscle every 48 hrs

Is it too often ???

No, you should jump for a train every 48 hrs

DooM_

• Getbig III
« Reply #461 on: February 04, 2018, 10:45:15 AM »

good post

be back

« Reply #462 on: February 04, 2018, 11:17:05 AM »
http://www.getbig.com/boards/index.php?board=2.0

theres the link to the training section, so goin there if you dont want to debate shit, this is the G&O

be back

« Reply #463 on: February 04, 2018, 11:19:32 AM »

The part about Platz & Demayo having great leg genetics no doubt true
That isn’t what I was asking though
Would they have achieved the same development from just leg extensions & leg curls
Likewise with the Arnold & Bertil example would they have achieved the same development
From just pec-dec or flyes.

Weight is one factor among many that are Jigsaw puzzle of “weight training/ bodybuilding”

The issues around squats or any other exercise being the cause of injuries is completely different to stimulating muscular growth.

Platz trained balls to the wall on all exercises, maybe squats didnt do that much for his legs , who knows.

TBH, Platz just trained with reckless abandonment and his videos of him training people now are laughable.

illuminati

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #464 on: February 04, 2018, 11:29:56 AM »
Platz trained balls to the wall on all exercises, maybe squats didnt do that much for his legs , who knows.

TBH, Platz just trained with reckless abandonment and his videos of him training people now are laughable.

Regardless of how Platz trained or anyone else
That’s still not a answer to my questions
Are light weights & isolation exercises totally effective at stimulating muscular growth
An there is no need to do compound movements??

Nether Animal

• Getbig V
  • Team Mower Forever
« Reply #465 on: February 04, 2018, 11:34:21 AM »

Are light weights & isolation exercises totally effective & there is no need to do compound movements??

I think its more complicated than that. Genetics, everybody is built differently and have slight discrepancies in their form, genetic response to drugs, or just ability to gain muscle in general. You can't narrow it down to one particular of the training system. It's more complex than that, I think.

be back

« Reply #466 on: February 04, 2018, 11:37:03 AM »

Are light weights & isolation exercises totally effective & there is no need to do compound movements??

I would say that although compound exercises work several muscles at the same time, I still believe you can work all those muscles individually and get the same growth.

I press dumbells but get a much better sensation and fatigue the muscle much more with lateral raises.

Take triceps, there are many many ways of exercising the triceps, but at the end of the day its just straightening your arm.
Do skull crushers give you bigger triceps than rope pressdowns?

illuminati

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #467 on: February 04, 2018, 11:37:47 AM »
I think its more complicated than that. Genetics, everybody is built differently and have slight discrepancies in their form, genetic response to drugs, or just ability to gain muscle in general. You can't narrow it down to one particular of the training system. It's more complex than that, I think.

Agree, I have already stated that.
That Still doesn’t answer my simple questions

DooM_

• Getbig III
« Reply #468 on: February 04, 2018, 11:47:16 AM »

Are light weights & isolation exercises totally effective at stimulating muscular growth
An there is no need to do compound movements??

it's possible to build muscle with light weights and higher volume

illuminati

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #469 on: February 04, 2018, 11:50:44 AM »
I would say that although compound exercises work several muscles at the same time, I still believe you can work all those muscles individually and get the same growth.

I press dumbells but get a much better sensation and fatigue the muscle much more with lateral raises.

Take triceps, there are many many ways of exercising the triceps, but at the end of the day its just straightening your arm.
Do skull crushers give you bigger triceps than rope pressdowns?

Again I generally agree.

I don’t agree though that just pec-dec or flyes would have built Arnold’s & Bertil’s chest to the degree they were,
Or that just leg extensions would have resulted in the quads that Platz & Demayo achieved.

What about Dorians / Ronnies back development they could have achieved the same results from
Straight arm pull downs or straight arm pullovers- I don’t think so.

Surely all the above named had all experimented with various different exercises & None of them ended up solely Doing isolation exercises. I wonder why.

There is something extra to doing compound movements with the added weight they allow you to use.

be back

« Reply #470 on: February 04, 2018, 11:51:51 AM »

probably never touched a weight in their lives let alone a squat.

illuminati

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #471 on: February 04, 2018, 11:52:11 AM »

Yes it is - correct
Again what you said hasn’t directly answered my questions.

be back

« Reply #472 on: February 04, 2018, 11:54:43 AM »
Again I generally agree.

I don’t agree though that just pec-dec or flyes would have built Arnold’s & Bertil’s chest to the degree they were,
Or that just leg extensions would have resulted in the quads that Platz & Demayo achieved.

What about Dorians / Ronnies back development they could have achieved the same results from
Straight arm pull downs or straight arm pullovers- I don’t think so.

Surely all the above named had all experimented with various different exercises & None of them ended up solely Doing isolation exercises. I wonder why.

There is something extra to doing compound movements with the added weight they allow you to use.

I probably use less weight on legs than 90% of the people at the gym yet my legs are probably in the top 10%

Its not just weight, its intensity, if you can trick a muscle into believing the weight is heavy, then its heavy...

illuminati

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #473 on: February 04, 2018, 12:00:51 PM »
Clearly no one is going to answer my questions

Let’s leave it at that,
Going round & round & skirting the issue is going no where.

Arnold, Dorian, Ronnie, Demayo, Platz, Bertil All had their training wrong
And wasted years of time when they could have just done isolation exercises  ::)

And I have a bridge for sale & the earth is flat.

Nether Animal

• Getbig V
  • Team Mower Forever
« Reply #474 on: February 04, 2018, 12:02:01 PM »
Maybe the question can't actually be answered with any certainty?