Author Topic: Denver Tried to Trade Jay Cutler  (Read 6234 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Denver Tried to Trade Jay Cutler
« on: March 01, 2009, 07:45:34 PM »
I don't get this one.  Denver has needs, but not at QB.  This was dumb.

Cutler thinks he is still on trading block

By Chris Mortensen
ESPN.com

Yes, the Denver Broncos want Jay Cutler to return for a little sit down to mend fences after the team's reported failed attempt to trade for New England quarterback Matt Cassel. Cutler won't have any of it after the two sides spoke by telephone Sunday.

"They want me to come in and talk to 'em but I'm not doing it right now; I'm going to lay low," said Cutler. "The [Broncos] deny everything. That's a problem. We know for a fact they tried to trade me."

The Broncos have denied reports of their trade talks with the Patriots, Tampa Bay Buccaneers and Detroit Lions. They have characterized any dialogue as "inquiries" not initiated by the team, even though multiple sources have confirmed the Broncos' interest in Cassel, who was dealt Saturday by the Patriots to the Chiefs.

"He's not the only person in the last few days we've received calls on," new Broncos coach Josh McDaniels told the Denver Post. "We've received trade calls on a number of players, which is not uncommon this time of the year. I also think the sensitivity of the other trade that was occurring, with my relationship with New England and the whole Cassel thing, I think that stirred the pot even more."

McDaniels was the Patriots' offensive coordinator last season when he helped guide Cassel, a career backup since high school, to an 11-5 record following Tom Brady's season-ending knee injury on opening weekend.

Cutler, the 11th overall pick out of Vanderbilt in the 2006 draft, told The Denver Post he was angry that his name even came up in trade talks and said he still feels he's on the trading block -- something McDaniels denies.

"We don't want to trade Jay," McDaniels said. "We never did. He's our quarterback. We're excited about this season. And excited about what we're doing here in free agency to improve our team."

Sources say that the Bucs offered first- and fourth-round picks to the Broncos for Cutler, and that the Lions offered their second-round pick (No. 33) and possibly a future pick. The deal would have involved the Broncos getting Cassel from the Patriots.

Cutler was scheduled to return to Denver this week to continue learning the team's new playbook under McDaniels. A source close to Cutler said that the quarterback is "too stung" by the trade talks and has refused to speak with McDaniels by phone, let alone travel from his Tennessee home back to Denver.

"I'm upset. I mean, I'm really shocked at this point," Cutler told The Post. "I could see why they want Cassel. I don't know if they think I can't run the system or I don't have the skills for it. Or if they don't think they can sign me with my next contract. I just don't know what it is. I've heard I'm still on the trading block."

AFC West blog

ESPN.com's Bill Williamson writes about all things AFC West in his division blog.

• Blog network: NFL Nation

Team officials were in contact with his agent, Bus Cook, on Saturday and Sunday to deny their involvement and reinforce their commitment to Cutler. Cook said Cutler has every right to be upset.

"Because that's a vote of no confidence in the guy," Cook told The Associated Press on Sunday. "I don't care if you're talking about trading him for Matt Cassel, Matt Ryan or Tom Brady. That's a vote of no confidence in him, and that's how Jay sees it and I would, too.

"I don't know if they were actively seeking to trade Jay, but on the other hand, I don't know that they were turning a deaf ear to potential offers, either."

It was during their call Sunday with Cook that the Broncos tried to schedule a meeting that the quarterback isn't interested in, at the moment.

A Broncos spokesman told The AP on Sunday that neither McDaniels, newly promoted general manager Brian Xanders nor team owner Pat Bowlen would have anything else to say publicly about the matter.

The organization felt it had adequately addressed the issue by talking to The Post and didn't want to perpetuate the story, team spokesman Patrick Smyth said.

Cutler, who has three years left on his six-year deal he signed as a rookie, is by far the best player McDaniels inherited from Mike Shanahan, who had built a terrific young offense around the quarterback even while neglecting a defense that more than anything probably led to his firing.

Cutler told The Post he feels his relationship with McDaniels has "taken a few steps backward."

"I don't know if the relationship is irreconcilably broken," Cook said. "But I know that as much as he's meant to the organization and that ballclub, if there were attempts to trade him, then I think Jay Cutler is 100 percent right to be more than just a little bit miffed."

Cutler is 17-20 with no playoff appearances since supplanting Jake Plummer late in the 2006 season, and he's known for his petulant, moody personality in his dealings with teammates and the media alike.

"There's an awful lot of smoke for there not to be a fire," Cook said. "If they were in fact trying to trade Jay Cutler, then I think that's a situation that's going to cause a very serious problem for the organization.

"If they weren't, maybe he forgives and forgets. But if they were, that's going to be a very difficult situation to repair."

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3944555

body88

Re: Denver Tried to Trade Jay Cutler
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2009, 09:13:29 PM »
I do.  Mcdaniels wanted his boy....it's his team now, not Shanny's.  Cassel is the type who just plays.  No crying, no drama, he does what he's told and he is a leader.  Cassel is thought of as a top ten QB in the NFL according to Adam Shefter.  HIs numbers back that up and no one knows him better than Mcdaniels.  Oh, and this won't happen with Cassel, ever:

Cutler is 17-20 with no playoff appearances since supplanting Jake Plummer late in the 2006 season, and he's known for his petulant, moody personality in his dealings with teammates and the media alike.

2ND COMING

• Getbig V
  • Might is right.
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2009, 09:15:06 PM »
cutler is shanahans guy.

new coach=every ones on the block

body88

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2009, 09:16:53 PM »
cutler is shanahans guy.

new coach=every ones on the block

Agreed.  Cutler is thought of as a whiny bitch.  Cassel is a stand up leader.  Not to mention, he's a hell of a qb.  McDaniels could have brought in his boy and generated a first round draft choice to use on defense.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2009, 10:04:09 PM »
What is the source for these comments about Cutler?  I don't follow the Broncos. 

What I do know is Cutler is a good NFL QB and did a great job this past season with only one WR and no running game.  Good starting NFL QBs are hard to come by.  Cassel is still a risk.  Cutler isn't. 

body88

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2009, 10:16:21 PM »
What is the source for these comments about Cutler?  I don't follow the Broncos. 

What I do know is Cutler is a good NFL QB and did a great job this past season with only one WR and no running game.  Good starting NFL QBs are hard to come by.  Cassel is still a risk.  Cutler isn't. 

Cassel is not a risk.  He started 15 games last season.  McDaniel's knows him better than anyone.  He was his coach.  Why would the guy bring in a player who he coached for 3 years if he did not think he would do well?  You're basically implying that Josh McDaniel's is retarded.  Cassel proved that he is a great QB last year....just like Cutler did the season before (his first season). The quote I posted was from your article above, did you read it, it explains the situation (which is a lot of he-said-she said stuff).

McDaniel's is the new head coach, and sometimes someone else's guy is not your guy.  Cassel is not just a good player, he is a team guy and a leader.  As shown above Cutler is perceived to be a whiny bitch.  Look at his public spat with Phillip Rivers - would Manning or Brady do that?

I don't agree with the trade, but if Cutler is not a leader and a team guy, I can see why you bring in Cassel.   Also, McDaniels can run his O with Cassel from the start.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2009, 10:41:46 PM »
Cassel is not a risk.  He started 15 games last season.  McDaniel's knows him better than anyone.  He was his coach.  Why would the guy bring in a player who he coached for 3 years if he did not think he would do well?  You're basically implying that Josh McDaniel's is retarded.  Cassel proved that he is a great QB last year....just like Cutler did the season before (his first season). The quote I posted was from your article above, did you read it, it explains the situation (which is a lot of he-said-she said stuff).

McDaniel's is the new head coach, and sometimes someone else's guy is not your guy.  Cassel is not just a good player, he is a team guy and a leader.  As shown above Cutler is perceived to be a whiny bitch.  Look at his public spat with Phillip Rivers - would Manning or Brady do that?

I don't agree with the trade, but if Cutler is not a leader and a team guy, I can see why you bring in Cassel.   Also, McDaniels can run his O with Cassel from the start.

Cassel is a risk.  He has only started 15 games in his career and not every start was good (probably only about half were quality starts).  He also had Moss and Welker.  Really not much of a comparison to him and Cutler at this stage of their careers.  I'm not saying Cassel won't be a good NFL QB, but it's a little early to say he isn't a risk. 

I'm not implying anyone is retarded.  I'm saying it was dumb to try and trade a proven NFL QB for a guy with 15 starts who wouldn't even be an upgrade.  And now they're apparently lying about whether they tried to trade Cutler.   

I didn't see the part in the article that said "Cutler is . . .  known for his petulant, moody personality in his dealings with teammates and the media alike."  My bad.  The source is Mortensen.  He's pretty reliable.     

2ND COMING

• Getbig V
  • Might is right.
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2009, 11:12:44 PM »
of course he's moody hes a fuckin diabetic

ever lived with one?

body88

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2009, 06:09:11 AM »
Cassel is a risk.  He has only started 15 games in his career and not every start was good (probably only about half were quality starts).  He also had Moss and Welker.  Really not much of a comparison to him and Cutler at this stage of their careers.  I'm not saying Cassel won't be a good NFL QB, but it's a little early to say he isn't a risk. 

I'm not implying anyone is retarded.  I'm saying it was dumb to try and trade a proven NFL QB for a guy with 15 starts who wouldn't even be an upgrade.  And now they're apparently lying about whether they tried to trade Cutler.   

I didn't see the part in the article that said "Cutler is . . .  known for his petulant, moody personality in his dealings with teammates and the media alike."  My bad.  The source is Mortensen.  He's pretty reliable.     

Cassel would be just as good as Cutler in Denver - imo, he is McDaniels guy, Payton Manning had Harrison - Wayne and Edge (is he no good?), Cassel finished up the the season as a top 8 QB in the NFL and that aint a fluke.  I would agree with you if McDaniels had not coached Cassel over the last three years.  How do you know Cutler is going to thrive in McDaniels system?  They are going to be the patriots 2.0.  They are switching to a 3/4 D and the O is going to be different.

I can see why McDaniels would try this.  Cutler is moody and players dont like him.  Also, if he does not buy in to the McDaniels way, he is screwed.  Josh knows what he is getting with Cassel, he coached him for three years and he is going to run a hybrid of the pats system.  There is little risk in this for Josh.

UPINTHEMGUTS

• Getbig V
  • I can spot crazy pussy....
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2009, 07:22:06 AM »
Big mess for the Broncos. Now that it's out in the open that the Broncos aern't 100% committed to Cutler as the starter, QB starved teams should start throwing out trade offers for this guy.

Cutler probably wants out of Denver now. Apparently, the Broncos are denying the trade rumors. Cutler and his agent know for a fact that he was being shopped and possibly replaced by Cassel.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2009, 07:30:43 AM »
Cassel would be just as good as Cutler in Denver - imo, he is McDaniels guy, Payton Manning had Harrison - Wayne and Edge (is he no good?), Cassel finished up the the season as a top 8 QB in the NFL and that aint a fluke.  I would agree with you if McDaniels had not coached Cassel over the last three years.  How do you know Cutler is going to thrive in McDaniels system?  They are going to be the patriots 2.0.  They are switching to a 3/4 D and the O is going to be different.

I can see why McDaniels would try this.  Cutler is moody and players dont like him.  Also, if he does not buy in to the McDaniels way, he is screwed.  Josh knows what he is getting with Cassel, he coached him for three years and he is going to run a hybrid of the pats system.  There is little risk in this for Josh.

I don't know if Cutler is going to thrive in a new system, but I do know he is a proven NFL QB, which is very hard to come by.  They now have a self-created mess over this trade fiasco.  I don't blame Cutler for being upset.  They ought to at least own up to trying to trade the guy.  How is he supposed to trust the new leadership? 

You're placing more stock in Cassel's 7 or 8 quality starts than me.  I think he still has to prove that he is a solid QB (on Cutler's level) over the course of a season, without Moss and Welker.  We'll find out in KC, because he won't have nearly the tools he had in NE. 

Denver should have been trying to solidify the running game instead of screwing around with something that isn't broken. 

body88

« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2009, 07:36:20 AM »
I don't know if Cutler is going to thrive in a new system, but I do know he is a proven NFL QB, which is very hard to come by.  They now have a self-created mess over this trade fiasco.  I don't blame Cutler for being upset.  They ought to at least own up to trying to trade the guy.  How is he supposed to trust the new leadership? 

You're placing more stock in Cassel's 7 or 8 quality starts than me.  I think he still has to prove that he is a solid QB (on Cutler's level) over the course of a season, without Moss and Welker.  We'll find out in KC, because he won't have nearly the tools he had in NE. 

Denver should have been trying to solidify the running game instead of screwing around with something that isn't broken. 

Again, Josh Mcdaniels has coached Matt Cassel for three years.  Why would he trade Cutler if he was not certain Cassel could get it done on a high level in his new system?   Cassel has more than 8 quality starts and he is a very good NFL QB.  I have wached every game Cassel has ever played in and he has proven he can play with the best of them.  He will have great the tools in KC.  Pioli is the man who drafted him and they are 40 million under the cap.  Dwayne Bowe and Tony Gonzalez are pro-bowl players.  They have a decent running game....etc.  Pioli will get him more tools.  KC has a bunch of good players....they had a very poor coach before.

I don't blame Cutler for being upset either, but I can see why McDaniels would trade him.  I'm not putting any stock in anything.  McDaniels has worked with Cassel for years and he thought Cassel will do better in his system then Cutler.  He might know a thing or two, he was a qb coach to Tom Brady for 2 years, and his O was the greatest O in NFL history in 2007.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2009, 07:45:42 AM »
Again, Josh Mcdaniels has coached Matt Cassel for three years.   Cassel has more than 8 quality starts and he is a good NFL QB.  I have wached every game Cassel has ever played in.  He will have the tools in KC.  Pioli is the man who drafted him and they are 40 million under the cap.  Dwayne Bowe and Tony Gonzalez are pro-bowl players.  Pioli will get him more tools.  KC has a bunch of good players....they had a very poor coach before.

You watched all 15 of his career starts, so you have a more informed opinion than me, but Cassel did not have more than 8 quality starts IMO.  At least not statistically. 

We'll see what happens in KC.  I think Edwards is a good coach.  He didn't have the horses.  Gonzo is apparently on the block.  LJ wants out.  Bowe isn't Moss.  He isn't even Welker.  But we'll see.   

body88

« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2009, 09:16:09 AM »
You watched all 15 of his career starts, so you have a more informed opinion than me, but Cassel did not have more than 8 quality starts IMO.  At least not statistically. 

We'll see what happens in KC.  I think Edwards is a good coach.  He didn't have the horses.  Gonzo is apparently on the block.  LJ wants out.  Bowe isn't Moss.  He isn't even Welker.  But we'll see.   

Plus his preseason games.  Of course he is going to struggle when he first steps in....the kid never played in a live game for real.  His numners at the endof the season solidify him as a top QB.  he put the team on his back and carried them many times, he is a winner.  McDaniel's not only saw Cassel over his starts, he watched him in practice for 3 years.  He knows what he is getting.  Also, Cassel's numbers at the end of the year speak for themselves.  He was a top 8 QB In the NFL, period.  Edwards is a terrible coach, and his 15-33 record over the last three years proves this, imo.  Edwards is a nice guy, but he is a horrid coach.  If he didn't have the horses then he should have learned how to pick em! He picked at the top of the draft for three years.

I'm sorry beach, but your comments about Bowe are insane.  The kid had 995 receiving yards his rookie year and 1022 yards last year with a poor QB.  How much better should he be? 1500 yards? Come on. Cassel will put him over the top, mark it down.  Tony has not been traded yet, LJ has not been traded yet and the chiefs are 50 million + under the cap.  Pioli will give Cassel the players he needs to win.  It might not be right away, but Cassel and co will make it happen for KC.  Cassel is for real.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2009, 12:40:02 PM »

Plus his preseason games.  Of course he is going to struggle when he first steps in....the kid never played in a live game for real.  His numners at the endof the season solidify him as a top QB.  he put the team on his back and carried them many times, he is a winner.  McDaniel's not only saw Cassel over his starts, he watched him in practice for 3 years.  He knows what he is getting.  Also, Cassel's numbers at the end of the year speak for themselves.  He was a top 8 QB In the NFL, period.  Edwards is a terrible coach, and his 15-33 record over the last three years proves this, imo.  Edwards is a nice guy, but he is a horrid coach.  If he didn't have the horses then he should have learned how to pick em! He picked at the top of the draft for three years.

I'm sorry beach, but your comments about Bowe are insane.  The kid had 995 receiving yards his rookie year and 1022 yards last year with a poor QB.  How much better should he be? 1500 yards? Come on. Cassel will put him over the top, mark it down.  Tony has not been traded yet, LJ has not been traded yet and the chiefs are 50 million + under the cap.  Pioli will give Cassel the players he needs to win.  It might not be right away, but Cassel and co will make it happen for KC.  Cassel is for real.

He did have some very good games (which is why I added him on my FF team), but it was only a handful of games.  I think it's premature to crown someone until they have at least one good season.  I'm not really disagreeing with you that he will be good.  He probably will be.  I'm just reserving judgment till I see him play a little more. 

Edwards was as good as his lousy team.  If you don't have the horses I don't care how good of a coach you are.  Belichick was 36 and 44 in Cleveland, before he had one of the greatest QBs in NFL history.  Other than people like Parcells, most coaches don't succeed with crappy players, especially at QB. 

Saying Bowe is no Moss or Welker is insane?  Here is a comparison the past two years:

Moss
167 for 2501, 34 TDs

Welker
223 for 2340, 11 TDs

Bowe
156 for 2017, 12 TDs

I didn't say he wasn't good.  I said he wasn't Moss or Welker and his numbers show that.  What that means is Cassel will have a harder time throwing the ball in KC than he did in NE, especially if Gonzo or LJ are gone. 

I'll be watching Cassel because I play FF, but I consider him a high risk player at this point. 

body88

« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2009, 06:14:59 PM »
He did have some very good games (which is why I added him on my FF team), but it was only a handful of games.  I think it's premature to crown someone until they have at least one good season.  I'm not really disagreeing with you that he will be good.  He probably will be.  I'm just reserving judgment till I see him play a little more. 

Edwards was as good as his lousy team.  If you don't have the horses I don't care how good of a coach you are.  Belichick was 36 and 44 in Cleveland, before he had one of the greatest QBs in NFL history.  Other than people like Parcells, most coaches don't succeed with crappy players, especially at QB. 

Saying Bowe is no Moss or Welker is insane?  Here is a comparison the past two years:

Moss
167 for 2501, 34 TDs

Welker
223 for 2340, 11 TDs

Bowe
156 for 2017, 12 TDs

I didn't say he wasn't good.  I said he wasn't Moss or Welker and his numbers show that.  What that means is Cassel will have a harder time throwing the ball in KC than he did in NE, especially if Gonzo or LJ are gone. 

I'll be watching Cassel because I play FF, but I consider him a high risk player at this point. 

Don't get me started on the Cleveland situation, Belichick was handcuffed there.  Herm Edwards is not in the same stratosphere as Belichick so I wont even bother mentioning the two.  Belichick won 11 games last season with a plethora of injuries to his team and a rookie QB at the helm.  Also, Belichick had two rings and two defensive gameplans in the HOF when he went to coach the Browns. To me Herm sucks, but maybe I'm wrong.

Moss and Welker were not Moss (resurected) and Welker until they started playing with Brady and Cassel.  Before that, Moss' numbers where down and Welker had average numbers.  A fair comparison would be to compare Moss while he was in Oakland and Welker while he was in Miami, because Brody Croyle is garbage and Herm couldent coach his way out of a paper bag, imo.  I think Bowe goes to the probowl next year.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2009, 09:18:01 PM »
Don't get me started on the Cleveland situation, Belichick was handcuffed there.  Herm Edwards is not in the same stratosphere as Belichick so I wont even bother mentioning the two.  Belichick won 11 games last season with a plethora of injuries to his team and a rookie QB at the helm.  Also, Belichick had two rings and two defensive gameplans in the HOF when he went to coach the Browns. To me Herm sucks, but maybe I'm wrong.

Moss and Welker were not Moss (resurected) and Welker until they started playing with Brady and Cassel.  Before that, Moss' numbers where down and Welker had average numbers.  A fair comparison would be to compare Moss while he was in Oakland and Welker while he was in Miami, because Brody Croyle is garbage and Herm couldent coach his way out of a paper bag, imo.  I think Bowe goes to the probowl next year.

Belichick had lousy QBs and pretty average talent.  That's the reason he didn't win.  He didn't become a "genius" until he had the best playoff QB since Montana.  He's a great coach, but he's still only as good as his players.  Give him Kerry Collins instead of Brady and I bet he has no Super Bowl wins.

I can't stand Moss, but he was one of the best WRs in football before he went to NE.  He stunk, and quit, in Oakland, but when he feels like playing, he's a monster.  You really cannot compare Moss and Welker to Bowe and whoever else lines up in KC.  Night and day. 

Bowe might go to the Pro Bowl next year, but the point was there is less talent in KC than NE.  We'll find out how good Cassel really is when he doesn't have the fastest WR and arguably the best slot WR in football lining up on Sundays.     

2ND COMING

• Getbig V
  • Might is right.
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2009, 09:21:53 PM »
Belichick had lousy QBs and pretty average talent.  That's the reason he didn't win.  He didn't become a "genius" until he had the best playoff QB since Montana.  He's a great coach, but he's still only as good as his players.  Give him Kerry Collins instead of Brady and I bet he has no Super Bowl wins.

youre ignorant. Beilicheck MADE brady.

do u think brady just walked in and bill had the offense run flee flickers,clown routes and hail mary's?

bill was VERY conservative when brady came in

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2009, 09:30:46 PM »
youre ignorant. Beilicheck MADE brady.

do u think brady just walked in and bill had the offense run flee flickers,clown routes and hail mary's?

bill was VERY conservative when brady came in

Speak English boy. 

Option D

• Getbig V
  • Kelly the Con Way
« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2009, 09:34:29 PM »
Cutler has all the tools to be a great quarterback. He is a fiesty little fucker. But he is no leader, and he needs to be. The QB is always the leader of the team.

2ND COMING

• Getbig V
  • Might is right.
« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2009, 09:34:53 PM »
Speak English boy. 

witty....

you know jack shit about sports except what espn feeds you and when it comes to politics youre a mental midget.

i wish gb had an ignore button

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2009, 09:38:08 PM »
Cutler has all the tools to be a great quarterback. He is a fiesty little fucker. But he is no leader, and he needs to be. The QB is always the leader of the team.

Sounds like he has some personality issues he needs to work through, but he can definitely play. 

He might lose his WR.  Did you hear that knucklehead got arrested again?   ::)

Option D

• Getbig V
  • Kelly the Con Way
« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2009, 09:41:04 PM »
Sounds like he has some personality issues he needs to work through, but he can definitely play. 

He might lose his WR.  Did you hear that knucklehead got arrested again?   ::)

Right. In Atlanta too...While i was in LA. But he wont get in trouble as the charges were dropped.

Hey do you think ax'ing Mike was the right thing to do. I mean the strength to his teams are his running backs and he was down to his 8th string. I think it was messed up.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2009, 09:42:55 PM »
witty....

you know jack shit about sports except what espn feeds you and when it comes to politics youre a mental midget.

i wish gb had an ignore button

lol.   :)  Listen dum dum, all you have to do is ignore me.  Don't engage me.  It's pretty easy.  I do it all the time.   :)  And learn how to write better than a third grader.  

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: March 02, 2009, 09:46:56 PM »
Right. In Atlanta too...While i was in LA. But he wont get in trouble as the charges were dropped.

Hey do you think ax'ing Mike was the right thing to do. I mean the strength to his teams are his running backs and he was down to his 8th string. I think it was messed up.

The league can still punish him.  Remember Pac Man was suspended for being a hoodlum, not because he was actually convicted each time he was arrested. 

Which Mike you talking about?