Author Topic: Noahs Ark Found  (Read 63233 times)

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Re: Noahs Ark Found
« Reply #550 on: May 11, 2010, 08:20:11 AM »
Common sense tells me that the 10 commandments were obviously a parallel view of any king, emperor, or ruler at the time. Make up stories of any "savior" regardless of faith, are so similar to the events that made them epic. Notice there is no "thou shalt not rape", "thou shalt not cast stones" etc. Stuff that was accepted back then, that are considered horrible acts now, weren't included in the commandments.
Common sense taught me that if I prayed to god, or even the flying spaghetti monster, I would always get the same answers from both. Yes, no, or wait and see. Common sense tells me that if I followed unseen, unheard and unproven entities, I would be crazy.

The laws of Moses were based on the Ten Commandments. Thus, any laws regarding rape would fall under the 7th commandment, regarding adultery. And, rape (like adultery) was a capital offense.

As far as stones were concerned,  stoning and hanging then was no different than the chair or lethal injection is now. that's simply a way capital punishment was administered.

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
  • Dumb people think Trump is smart.
« Reply #551 on: May 11, 2010, 08:31:57 AM »
And the reason we do not kill people for cheating on their spouses is WHY????

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #552 on: May 11, 2010, 08:34:16 AM »
And the reason we do not kill people for cheating on their spouses is WHY????

Not enough graves, perhaps!!

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
« Reply #553 on: May 11, 2010, 09:10:38 AM »
Or we just no longer follow that part of the Bible stupidity.

Oldschool Flip

• Getbig IV
  • Eat Balut! High in Protein!
« Reply #554 on: May 11, 2010, 09:11:44 AM »
The laws of Moses were based on the Ten Commandments. Thus, any laws regarding rape would fall under the 7th commandment, regarding adultery. And, rape (like adultery) was a capital offense.
So if a single guy raped a virgin back then it wouldn't break the 7th commandment because adultery is defined as a "married" person having sex outside their marriage. Girls were raped all the time back then with no consequences I'm sure.

As far as stones were concerned,  stoning and hanging then was no different than the chair or lethal injection is now. that's simply a way capital punishment was administered.
Capital punishment is administered if you are found guilty. Many stonings happened without due process in that time.

Here's another: slavery. Not part of the 10 commandments.

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
  • Isaiah40:28-31 ✝ Romans10:9 ✝ 1Peter3:15
« Reply #555 on: May 11, 2010, 11:05:20 AM »
I wish I was more articulate and better educated, but unfortunately I'm limited to the skillset and knowledge base I have.  I am pleased this is at least stimulating conversation.  I sincerely enjoy when adamant nonbelievers become believers.  It doesn't happen all the time of course, but it's a nice thing to witness.  I was on a bad path and needed to right myself...I took out my personal garbage.  Others will say I filled myself with the garbage from another can....that's ok.  Hopefully this will spur genuine interest and calm some of the harsh resistance to the topic.  May not happen today, tomorrow or this year, but hopefully a seed has been planted in some and it starts people really thinking.  I learn from nonbelievers when they ask a question from their perspective and it forces me to seek out an answer that I simply don't know in the moment.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #556 on: May 11, 2010, 11:10:25 AM »
So if a single guy raped a virgin back then it wouldn't break the 7th commandment because adultery is defined as a "married" person having sex outside their marriage. Girls were raped all the time back then with no consequences I'm sure.  

Capital punishment is administered if you are found guilty. Many stonings happened without due process in that time.

I beg to differ. And there was due process in that time. You had the elders and judges of Israel, who facilitated such a process. And, at least two witnesses were required for a conviction.

Plus, your definition of adultery is a bit off. An adulterer/adulteress can be single if he/she is screwing someone who's married. For example, Reille Hunter is considered an adulteress, not because she is married, but because John Edwards is married.

If a single guy raped a virgin, bethrothed to another man, he is committing adultery. But, since the girl is forced, only the guy gets put to death. Nothing happens to the woman.

Here's another: slavery. Not part of the 10 commandments.

That's also covered under the laws that are a subset of the Commandments. To be clear, what we typically think of when we hear slavery (i.e. chattel slavery) was specifically outlawed. Kidnapping people and selling them was punishable by death. If Israel went to war against an enemy, it could assimilate its people. But, even that had guidelines and harsh treatment of servants was specifically barred, as the Israelites were repeatedly reminded of how badly they were treated in Egypt.

Or we just no longer follow that part of the Bible stupidity.

There's nothing stupid about that, especially given the ramifications adultery had, during that time: Destruction of the nuclear family, which affected inheritance rights. Shame and dishonor that came to the family, not to mention little things such as DISEASE and pestilence, spread due to adulterous behavior.

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
« Reply #557 on: May 11, 2010, 11:26:50 AM »
There can be endless debate about how justice is adminstered for different crimes (Mcway I appreciate your insight).  The only question that should be considered if this:  If you were to die today and were to stand in front of the gates of heaven and God was to ask you, "Why should I let you into my heaven?"  What would you say?  

kyomu

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • トホカミエミタメ ハラヒタマヒ キヨメタマフ
« Reply #558 on: May 11, 2010, 11:30:28 AM »
Why people always argue if the god exist or not?
Why nobody argue about the words of God or meaning of God?
If God exists, Maybe God can be an asshole who own us as slaves... who knows?

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
« Reply #559 on: May 11, 2010, 11:33:13 AM »
kyomu, "Forget what you've heard about Jesus if it doesn't begin and end with love."   Just some gospel song lyrics, but a great summary of the meaning of God.

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
« Reply #560 on: May 11, 2010, 11:51:09 AM »
There's nothing stupid about that, especially given the ramifications adultery had, during that time: Destruction of the nuclear family, which affected inheritance rights. Shame and dishonor that came to the family, not to mention little things such as DISEASE and pestilence, spread due to adulterous behavior.

::)

That can be applied to the current world.  But yet, adultery is not a capital offense WHY?

Because no one follows that bit of Bible stupidity anymore.  Which is why we don't go about poking out eyes, sacrificing goats, or killing our own children anymore.  We outgrew childish crap like that.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #561 on: May 11, 2010, 12:33:07 PM »
::)

That can be applied to the current world.  But yet, adultery is not a capital offense WHY?

Because no one follows that bit of Bible stupidity anymore.  Which is why we don't go about poking out eyes, sacrificing goats, or killing our own children anymore.  We outgrew childish crap like that.

This has nothing to do with outgrowing anything. One, adultery (in certain countries) is STILL a capital offense. Two, the reason it stopped being such (from a spiritual standpoint) has more to do with the death and resurrection of Jesus Christ, replacing the need for sacrificing goats and so forth.

Unfortunately, that grace has been abused far too much, resulting in the aforementioned shame, dysfunction of the family, and spread of disease.

kyomu

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • トホカミエミタメ ハラヒタマヒ キヨメタマフ
« Reply #562 on: May 11, 2010, 12:36:25 PM »
kyomu, "Forget what you've heard about Jesus if it doesn't begin and end with love."   Just some gospel song lyrics, but a great summary of the meaning of God.
Yeah, that kind of thing is important.
It doesnt matter if a beard guy who did miracle or not. :-\

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
« Reply #563 on: May 11, 2010, 12:51:47 PM »
This has nothing to do with outgrowing anything. One, adultery (in certain countries) is STILL a capital offense. Two, the reason it stopped being such (from a spiritual standpoint) has more to do with the death and resurrection of Jesus Christ, replacing the need for sacrificing goats and so forth.

Unfortunately, that grace has been abused far too much, resulting in the aforementioned shame, dysfunction of the family, and spread of disease.

How many of those countries still practicing the death penalty for adultery are Christianity faith based?

Yeah... that is what I thought.  As stated, it was OUT GROWN.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #564 on: May 11, 2010, 12:57:06 PM »
How many of those countries still practicing the death penalty for adultery are Christianity faith based?

Yeah... that is what I thought.  As stated, it was OUT GROWN.

Wrong!!! It wasn't "Out Grown". The tenet was not that such a trangression was not worthy of death, but that Christ's death was THE SUBSTITUTE.

That's been the case, as far as Christianity is concerned, since the 1st century.

Rom. 6:14-15: For sin shall not have dominion over you: for ye are not under the law, but under grace.  

What then? shall we sin, because we are not under the law, but under grace? God forbid.

Grace simply means you are SPARED the full penalty of a transgression; not that such an act is not a trangression.

You jumped the gun by claiming that adultery was not a capital offense in the current world, which is simply incorrect.

Butterbean

• Special Guests
  • Getbig V
« Reply #565 on: May 11, 2010, 01:14:05 PM »
A combination of chemical reactions in the right setting. All life on the planet now is just how chemicals react with each other.
catholic
Perception of bad and good is subjective. For instance if I was in love with a person that was immoral, mean and selfish (happens in relationships all the time) and that relationship didn't work out, I might think that that was a bad thing, however others around me would think it was good since the other person was a loser.
If anything I perceive as bad happened, I accept that it's just part of life and circumstance. I can control certain aspects. I would be robbed, if I went to an area where robbery is rampant. If I choose not to go there, then chances are slim.
People are good and bad, and IMO, it's their personality and upbringing that will dictate how they live their life.

Where did the chemicals and the right setting come from?  Do you think they were eternal?

If life is just how chemicals react w/each other, do you feel that "good and bad"/consciousness/emotions etc. are chemicals reacting w/each other also or is it something different?
R

double a ron

• Getbig II
« Reply #566 on: May 11, 2010, 01:17:05 PM »
Holy fuck, are you guys still arguing this this guy, really?

Butterbean

• Special Guests
  • Getbig V
« Reply #567 on: May 11, 2010, 01:29:16 PM »
I wish I was more articulate and better educated, but unfortunately I'm limited to the skillset and knowledge base I have.  I am pleased this is at least stimulating conversation.  I sincerely enjoy when adamant nonbelievers become believers.  It doesn't happen all the time of course, but it's a nice thing to witness.  I was on a bad path and needed to right myself...I took out my personal garbage.  Others will say I filled myself with the garbage from another can....that's ok.  Hopefully this will spur genuine interest and calm some of the harsh resistance to the topic.  May not happen today, tomorrow or this year, but hopefully a seed has been planted in some and it starts people really thinking.  I learn from nonbelievers when they ask a question from their perspective and it forces me to seek out an answer that I simply don't know in the moment.

:)

--------------

Question for the unbelievers debating here..... do you think about the information MCWAY (or any believer) posts in answer to your inquiries for any length of time or just dismiss it immediately w/o considering it?  
R

double a ron

• Getbig II
« Reply #568 on: May 11, 2010, 01:38:46 PM »
I can answer that, dismiss immediately, then worship Satan, pee on a cross, tell god to go fuck himself, etc etc etc.  That's right, I capitalized Satan and god got a lower ass g.........

double a ron

• Getbig II
« Reply #569 on: May 11, 2010, 01:43:49 PM »
What no lightning, I didn't get smitten (is that a word?), hmm, strange......

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
« Reply #570 on: May 11, 2010, 02:04:11 PM »
double a ron, despite your comments, God still has a deeper love for you than you can imagine. 

double a ron

• Getbig II
« Reply #571 on: May 11, 2010, 02:52:30 PM »
Nah he doesn't, he will have me burn in hell according to believers.........

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
« Reply #572 on: May 11, 2010, 03:01:21 PM »
We are accountable for our actions (sin), but are given complete pardon for them....that's his gift of salvation....that was his sacrifice for us.

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
  • Go back to making jewelry and cakes with your girl
« Reply #573 on: May 11, 2010, 03:03:54 PM »
We are accountable for our actions (sin), but are given complete pardon for them....that's his gift of salvation....that was his sacrifice for us.

so the story goes

#1 Klaus fan

• Getbig V
« Reply #574 on: May 11, 2010, 03:08:17 PM »

Shit doesn't make sense.  ;D