Author Topic: How to squat  (Read 16606 times)

Schmoff

• Getbig V
Re: How to squat
« Reply #50 on: October 20, 2013, 08:37:30 AM »
I NEVER teach squat with head/eyes looking up.

probably that's why you only teach in your garage, and would never to a national team

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #51 on: October 20, 2013, 08:38:51 AM »
probably that's why you only teach in your garage, and would never to a national team

Yes, that must be it. Keep cranking that cervical spine. 

DroppingPlates

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team Pocahontas
« Reply #52 on: October 20, 2013, 08:43:10 AM »
Problem for me is my knees, squats kill em. Suggestions? Im fairly tall 6'2"

Front squats!

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
« Reply #53 on: October 20, 2013, 08:49:57 AM »
Front squats!
I need to try that, I have the same issue.... I have problems going a2g even with very little weight, I ztruggle with the mechanics. ... im 6'3"  and it feels like I wind up 8 feet out in front of my knees/ knees 3ft in front of my feet when I get low to the ground.

DroppingPlates

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team Pocahontas
« Reply #54 on: October 20, 2013, 09:24:52 AM »
I need to try that, I have the same issue.... I have problems going a2g even with very little weight, I ztruggle with the mechanics. ... im 6'3"  and it feels like I wind up 8 feet out in front of my knees/ knees 3ft in front of my feet when I get low to the ground.

The longer you are, the harder it is to keep your hips under control, your heels on the floor and to hold your back straight. The only way I'm (6'0 ft) able to keep good form is with a pretty wide stance, which -IMO- isn't optimal for leg development. Sure, I can squat with plates under my heels, but the safety of this is debatable..

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #55 on: October 20, 2013, 09:53:42 AM »
Oldtimer1 is that a pic of Lu Xiaojun? The world record holder with his total and snatch that doesn't know how to olympic squat properly according to ESF and Kelly crossfit?

Gold Medalist. The guy has been squatting 6 days a week since he was a kid. Bodybuilders should be the last people to tell athletes how to train in any area.  Most of these guys couldn't clean and jerk 250lbs because they possess zero power. That is text book Olympic squatting. Here's a picture of a 6' foot Olympic lifting Gold Medalist from Russia squatting.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #56 on: October 20, 2013, 10:03:14 AM »
Basically three ways to squat.

1. The powerlifter places the bar as low as possible on the the traps. They spread their legs wide. They claim they squat to parallel but if you go to a competition it's a half squat. It really shouldn't be called a squat but a hip lock.

2. The Olympic lifter places the bar high on the traps. He takes a true medium stance. He sinks it as low as he can go.  He keeps his torso fairly upright.

3. Bodybuilders in general use just about any technique but the most used is a hybrid. In general low trap placement to cut down leverage. Wide leg placement with very little knee bend with plenty of back involvement. Lastly, usually a shallow squat that's higher that a half squat.

The picture I used demonstrates the two basic techniques except the bodybuilder/power demonstration is way lower than most would go.

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #57 on: October 20, 2013, 10:17:46 AM »

Doesn't matter if I teach in a garage, warehouse, commercial gym or my front room, point is I'm qualified and have been teaching it for years.

Viking11

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #58 on: October 20, 2013, 11:27:01 AM »
Serious inquiry-  even as a trainer and experienced bodybuilder I don't lnow the technical lifts as well as some of the more proficient O guys. I try to get my clients to squat similiarly to the fellow in the first post. One- a 65 year female physician does pretty well, gets below parallel but back incline is more than I want. She learned from Rippetoes stuff before approaching me. She is fairly tall ~5'9" ish. Others can't get parallel even without feeling off balance.  I have trouble myself doing it without a lot of forward bend - without weight even- so that isn't the issue I am addressing. One thing I have noted is those with shorter calves and relatively longer thighs seem to have an easier time going "ATG" whereas those with shorter thighs and longer calves have a hard time. The levers just are off.  I can get down that far only by putting my feet way out in front on a Smith machine. I can do it on a V Squat too - but I have to fold like a pretzel to do it. No way I am doing that with serious weight on. My back wont like it. Anyone have a work around that works on free bar squats? (Been working on this for 25 years, so time and practice are not helpful solutions- neither is - "stretch").  Eric Bui told me as long as you hit parallel, that is all you need for bodybuilding. Mentzer said roughly the same- to parallel or slightly below.  I know that the O lifters do much better in that respect- with a straight back, upright- which is the only way I will do heavy squats.

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #59 on: October 20, 2013, 12:51:45 PM »
Serious inquiry-  even as a trainer and experienced bodybuilder I don't lnow the technical lifts as well as some of the more proficient O guys. I try to get my clients to squat similiarly to the fellow in the first post. One- a 65 year female physician does pretty well, gets below parallel but back incline is more than I want. She learned from Rippetoes stuff before approaching me. She is fairly tall ~5'9" ish. Others can't get parallel even without feeling off balance.  I have trouble myself doing it without a lot of forward bend - without weight even- so that isn't the issue I am addressing. One thing I have noted is those with shorter calves and relatively longer thighs seem to have an easier time going "ATG" whereas those with shorter thighs and longer calves have a hard time. The levers just are off.  I can get down that far only by putting my feet way out in front on a Smith machine. I can do it on a V Squat too - but I have to fold like a pretzel to do it. No way I am doing that with serious weight on. My back wont like it. Anyone have a work around that works on free bar squats? (Been working on this for 25 years, so time and practice are not helpful solutions- neither is - "stretch").  Eric Bui told me as long as you hit parallel, that is all you need for bodybuilding. Mentzer said roughly the same- to parallel or slightly below.  I know that the O lifters do much better in that respect- with a straight back, upright- which is the only way I will do heavy squats.

Several issues come to mind.

1. When a client comes to you, do you test for asymmetries? Some people are not ready to squat yet because they can't. Pelvic tilt, poor dorsi-flexion, poor thoracic mobility, tight hips, posterior chain, etc. We use the FMS (Functional Movement Screen) for EVERYONE.

2. Never teach a squat with a load (bar) on their back until they have perfected the squat first.

3. To help with mechanics, don't warm up on a bike or treadmill, rather use mobility drills instead (make them move, doesn't matter if it's the general public, elite athlete or a bodybuilder)

4. Squat progressions should start with an overhead squat. It's a good test for thoracic and shoulder mobility (snatch grip) and external rotation.

5. Started actual squat progressions for the first month or so with a goblet box squat. It's forces the client to keep chest up, heals down, transverse abdominus tight. Don't touch and go, sit completely down and come up straight. This is an easy progression.

6. After that, take the box away but still using the goblet squat.

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
  • Roger Bacon tries to be witty and fails
« Reply #60 on: October 20, 2013, 01:20:39 PM »
What does it mean if front squats are much easier and feel more natural.

Fuzzy Nuts

« Reply #61 on: October 20, 2013, 01:29:35 PM »
Doesn't matter if I teach in a garage, warehouse, commercial gym or my front room, point is I'm qualified and have been teaching it for years.
Point is you wouldn't be sitting in an empty storage locker if you had anything to offer.

ESFitness

• Getbig V
  • i win.
« Reply #62 on: October 20, 2013, 01:34:39 PM »
If you like Kelly Starrett then you would know he is an advocate for pointing toes out when squatting.

whhhhat? that's not true at allllll.

toes out makes it impossible to create torque in the hips.

how are you gonna screw your feet into the floor if your toes are already out?

asbrus

• Getbig IV
« Reply #63 on: October 20, 2013, 02:06:48 PM »
Well, that is 120lb guy squatting 576lb, so he has to be done something right to get that level of strength? I mean that among the 250-350lb getbiggers that is impossible task. And how deep is that squat, no no, no can do with those knees already breaking to pieces under the weight of the lard ass and beer belly. But hey, we can be smartasses and criticize the way he is squatting, even we clearly don't know shit about the matter  ;D

HE'S N0T 126 LBS. THERE IS N0 126LBER SQUATTING 576 LBS. HE IS AB0UT 180 LBS 0FF SEAS0N AND LIFTS IN THE 77 KGS.

DroppingPlates

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team Pocahontas
« Reply #64 on: October 20, 2013, 02:10:20 PM »
What does it mean if front squats are much easier and feel more natural.

It could mean that you're 6'0 or taller ;)

deceiver

• Getbig IV
  • onetimehard appreciation team
« Reply #65 on: October 20, 2013, 02:30:41 PM »
I teach O-lifts.

Great.

- What is your stance on spreading legs during clean? Chinese don't. Others do. Who is right and why?
 - What is the trick to catch and balance the bar during snatch? How should I point my hands?
 - How many times per week do you advise your novice lifters to squat?
 - How do you deal with "dark times" when squatting daily?

BB

• Getbig V
  • I hope I'm not boring you.
« Reply #66 on: October 20, 2013, 02:32:55 PM »
I NEVER teach squat with head/eyes looking up.

Understood, but it's common in O/L circles. Up or Neutral, I've almost never seen down, and haven't seen an establish upper level recommend it. Also I think the eyes up, etc... is common because you are thinking of the bar path, etc.... for the jerk while  squatting.

deceiver

• Getbig IV
  • onetimehard appreciation team
« Reply #67 on: October 20, 2013, 02:34:42 PM »
Understood, but it's common in O/L circles. Up or Neutral, I've almost never seen down, and haven't seen an establish upper level recommend it. Also I think the eyes up, etc... is common because you are thinking of the bar path, etc.... for the jerk while  squatting.

Eyes up can cause injuries. Neutral and try to look up during the lift, "head" drives you up.

Krankenstein

• Getbig V
  • quit·ter : a person can't finish a task
« Reply #68 on: October 20, 2013, 02:35:18 PM »

whhhhat? that's not true at allllll.

toes out makes it impossible to create torque in the hips.

how are you gonna screw your feet into the floor if your toes are already out?

Educate yourself : http://www.catalystathletics.com/articles/article.php?articleID=113

I have heard Kelly talking about toes pointing out....that article talk about how Kelly likes toes forward

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #69 on: October 20, 2013, 02:57:09 PM »
Great.

- What is your stance on spreading legs during clean? Chinese don't. Others do. Who is right and why?
Feet at completion of the lift are no wider than the original base stance at the start. We teach stance to be at shoulder width. If teaching an athlete (ex; Football, baseball) slightly wider than shoulder is acceptable. Who is right and who is wrong depends on who is teaching. I If feet are "spread" at the finish of the lift, COB (Center of balance) was incorrect

- What is the trick to catch and balance the bar during snatch? How should I point my hands?
The trick is learning the overhead squat first the snatch balance at the bottom of the squat then standing. Palms will usually be in the upward position with thumbs wrapped. The other point of emphasis the first pull from the floor accelerating past the knees, keeping the bar close to the body, hands rotated in, elbows rotated out. This forces the bar to stay close. This is the same with any O-lift.  

- How many times per week do you advise your novice lifters to squat?

We squat twice per week

- How do you deal with "dark times" when squatting daily?

We don't squat everyday. Give me an example of "dark days"

MisterMagoo

• Getbig V
  • And now, what joy will I have left to live for?
« Reply #70 on: October 20, 2013, 04:42:26 PM »
I teach O-lifts.

and how many of your athletes compete in the olympics or win national competitions? im just curious because you're looking at a picture of THE GUY WHO WON THE GOLD MEDAL AT THE 2012 SUMMER OLYMPICS and saying he's doing it wrong.

maybe if he got you to coach him he'd get somewhere, right?

Krankenstein

• Getbig V
  • quit·ter : a person can't finish a task
« Reply #71 on: October 20, 2013, 04:46:28 PM »
and how many of your athletes compete in the olympics or win national competitions? im just curious because you're looking at a picture of THE GUY WHO WON THE GOLD MEDAL AT THE 2012 SUMMER OLYMPICS and saying he's doing it wrong.

maybe if he got you to coach him he'd get somewhere, right?

Did he say someone is doing it wrong?  ESFit was saying the shirtless guy was doing it wrong and Coach said he wasn't.

MisterMagoo

• Getbig V
  • And now, what joy will I have left to live for?
« Reply #72 on: October 20, 2013, 04:48:23 PM »
Did he say someone is doing it wrong?  ESFit was saying the shirtless guy was doing it wrong and Coach said he wasn't.

coach looked at the pic of chol and said he never teaches guys to squat head-up. which is valid, my bad.

i'm just exhausted and hung over so that irked me and i popped off. and yeah, the guy in the first pic is absolutely not doing it wrong. i swear lifting got RUINED by bodybuilding magazines spreading nonsense bro-science about how to lift, especially in the squat.

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #73 on: October 20, 2013, 04:57:25 PM »
Point is you wouldn't be sitting in an empty storage locker if you had anything to offer.

My "empty storage locker". Keep playing with your shiny machines in your "fitness" studio, little man..hahaha!

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
  • Roger Bacon tries to be witty and fails
« Reply #74 on: October 20, 2013, 05:00:35 PM »
It could mean that you're 6'0 or taller ;)

Okay, hmmm...

Maybe that's my problem  8)