Author Topic: Did Rumsfeld intentionally thwart defenses to let the plane hit the Pentagon?  (Read 61562 times)

Jack T. Cross

• Getbig V
  • Using Surveillance for Political Subversion(?)
Did Rumsfeld intentionally thwart defenses to let the planes hit the Pentagon?
« Reply #150 on: December 21, 2011, 01:05:18 PM »
Yeah, but because of that there is nothing to implicate him.

Please go into detail on this, knowing that he couldn't have foreseen the time of discovery regarding a hijacked plane.

You can't charge his inaction as a reason why the plane hit.

While it's possible his inaction may be argued as something independent of anything other than his state of mind, it is his state of mind that is the best indicator of his intent.

The plane hit because we failed at the airport to spot the hijackers, failed to identify the hijacked plane because of and a lack of primary radars, failed to intercept the plane because it took too long to identify it and communicate to the military, failed because we could get a armed jet there in time as a result and even if we did, chances are very great we couldn't have got the order to the jet in time through that chain from the president or Rumsfeld to shot it down in time.  

This is fundamental.  

It is.  And the only potential remedy for this was under the full control of Donald Rumsfeld.

That set of rules already existed.  We had protocols for hijacked planes.  What didn't have protocols for was hijacked planes used as weapons requiring a shoot down order.

Exactly the obstacle that needed to be corrected, and exactly the item that was solely under Rumsfeld's control.

So are you saying that because he didn't set up those rules immediately he's guilty of trying to thwart our defenses to allow the plane to hit when the plane would have hit any way?

He is guilty of willfully producing a continued state of defenselessness against the very thing that was attacking us.

Another what if question (hypothetical).  doesn't mean anything other than to charge him with incompetence that wouldn't have mattered.

All you have done here is outline the reason why we needed to change the system to where it is now.  

The "discrepancy" is only an understandable failure by our government to prepare and defend an unprecedented attack of this sort.

This displays an urgency that could only be met with immediate action by the person who was empowered to correct it.  Would you disagree?

Really Jack, is there anything more you can add here?  Because i don't see one thing at all that could even come remotely close to implicating Rumsfeld in a plot to deliberately thwart our defenses to allow that plane to get hit.  Nothing.  And during the course of this i have researched this section far more than i did 4 years ago when i was heavily involved in 9/11 debates.  Its like you are grasping for straws that aren't even there.  Most of what you are talking about now is "implications based on hypothetical scenarios".  It seems like the best you have is Rumsfeld's lack of action that wouldn't have changed the outcome in any way. Which is nothing.    

It is based completely on Rumsfeld's actions, which are not hypothetical.

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
« Reply #151 on: December 21, 2011, 01:29:31 PM »
Please go into detail on this, knowing that he couldn't have foreseen the time of discovery regarding a hijacked plane.

I don't need to.  It's been well documented.  And i have explained is very strong detailed through out this thread starting with the first post that got us started here.  

While it's possible his inaction may be argued as something independent of anything other than his state of mind, it is his state of mind that is the best indicator of his intent.

So now, its what you think his state of mind that's incriminating him in your eyes?
It is.  And the only potential remedy for this was under the full control of Donald Rumsfeld.

Again, even if he took full control ,which out of his position as he not a commander in the field, something he wouldn't do, isn't expected to, etc, it wouldn't have changed anything.

Exactly the obstacle that needed to be corrected, and exactly the item that was solely under Rumsfeld's control.

and again correcting it wouldn't have changed anything and he wouldn't have even tried to correct it in the minutes after 9:03

He is guilty of willfully producing a continued state of defenselessness against the very thing that was attacking us.

that's pretty weak dude.  Seriously.  sorry to beat this drum so much but that's about the weakest contention for a charge i have ever seen.  First off, we weren't in a state of defenselessness.  Second he didn't order the stand down of military operations at any time before or after 9:03, and if he did, no one would have followed that order.

This displays an urgency that could only be met with immediate action by the person who was empowered to correct it.  Would you disagree?

Yes absolutely!  Because weather or not its corrected, which it wouldn't be in that short of a time regardless, and i guess you'd have to be knowledgeable about the military and how it operates to understand this, it would have happened any way.

It is based completely on Rumsfeld's actions, which are not hypothetical.

That's the circular reasoning again.

Jack T. Cross

• Getbig V
« Reply #152 on: December 21, 2011, 08:18:26 PM »
I don't need to.  It's been well documented.  And i have explained is very strong detailed through out this thread starting with the first post that got us started here.

You have stated that "it wouldn't have made a difference" had Rumsfeld applied rules upon the second plane hit, as though he had presumed to know this and therefore behaved as he did.

So now, its what you think his state of mind that's incriminating him in your eyes?

His inaction is what's incriminating.  If you could detail a state of mind that could explain the behavior, please do it.

Otherwise, please acknowledge that you cannot do it.

Again, even if he took full control ,which out of his position as he not a commander in the field, something he wouldn't do, isn't expected to, etc, it wouldn't have changed anything.

His role in this case would have been to simply declare the rules.  That is what would be expected of him.

and again correcting it wouldn't have changed anything and he wouldn't have even tried to correct it in the minutes after 9:03

I don't know what you mean by this.

that's pretty weak dude.  Seriously.  sorry to beat this drum so much but that's about the weakest contention for a charge i have ever seen.  First off, we weren't in a state of defenselessness.

We were in a defenseless state against hijacked airliners being used as missiles--the very things that were attacking us.  Yes.  

Second he didn't order the stand down of military operations at any time before or after 9:03,

Needless to say, that would have caused outright exposure.

and if he did, no one would have followed that order.

And perhaps this.

Yes absolutely!  Because weather or not its corrected, which it wouldn't be in that short of a time regardless, and i guess you'd have to be knowledgeable about the military and how it operates to understand this, it would have happened any way.

Please see the first item.

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #153 on: December 22, 2011, 08:57:08 AM »
You have stated that "it wouldn't have made a difference" had Rumsfeld applied rules upon the second plane hit, as though he had presumed to know this and therefore behaved as he did. His inaction is what's incriminating.  If you could detail a state of mind that could explain the behavior, please do it.
Otherwise, please acknowledge that you cannot do it.
(#1)No.  Because at the time there were no other threats.  But, the military was still active and not standing down, meaning they were in the act of defending our country, planes were being scrambled, planes were being armed and put on the hot pads, units were going on alert, etc.  

(#2)What made us defenseless was that we couldn't react quick enough because of a lack of preparation for an attack like this(Primary radar, protocols, available armed jets etc.).  Not that we were in some suspended state of inaction as some of your posts on this seem to suggest.  

(#3)The basic system was still in place as i showed earlier (plane to NEADS to Arnold etc.) and if a plane had been identified and intercepted the call would have been made.  It wouldn't of mattered where Rumsfeld was.  They would have contacted him if they couldn't reach the president.  Ultimately it would have went to the president not the DS or NORAD commander and they would have not made the decision  to shoot a passenger plane down on their own.   Simple as that.

This is why Rumsfeld state of mind is very moot.  Because regardless of his state of mind nothing changes.  I am not trying to avoid speculating Rumsfeld "state of mind".  I just think it meaningless to the issue here because of (refer to #1-#3.)

His role in this case would have been to simply declare the rules.  That is what would be expected of him.
No, not at all.  During a scheduled meeting yes, not in the minutes after an attack.  You should do some research about the DS's role on military operations.  A fundamental flaw you're  making in much of this discussion is what you place on the DS role in a situation like this.   There's what's on paper and what's actually practiced.  Remember earlier in our conversation i keep saying he's more of an administrator.  In other words he is involved in doctrine and logistics not a commander in the field.    

I don't know what you mean by this.
 Because "correcting" it involves more than just coming up with a set of ROE's.  Correcting it involves communication, chain of command, and command authority tweaks.  Along with restructuring and installing more primary radars through the country.  That's not something he's thinking about at 9:03 because of (refer to #3).  He knows when they get a hijacked plane identified and intercepted the decision can be made then.

We were in a defenseless state against hijacked airliners being used as missiles--the very things that were attacking us.  Yes.

(refer to #2)

Needless to say, that would have caused outright exposure.
 It wouldn't have worked any way.  He doesn't have the authority to order the military to stand down, no one would have listen to him.  The military answers to the POTUS.

Jack T. Cross

• Getbig V
« Reply #154 on: December 22, 2011, 10:24:50 PM »
Here is where we're divided:

He knows when they get a hijacked plane identified and intercepted the decision can be made then.

Beside the fact that it would destroy any chance of stopping a disaster that had progressed past a certain point, it would also be an impossible method of command if multiple threats accumulated simultaneously.

Specifically what was stopping him from exercising his authority to modify a procedure that was intended only to stop long-range threats coming from outside the country?

I want a something specific.  It's not a question of legalities...so, what is it?

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #155 on: December 23, 2011, 07:08:29 AM »
Here is where we're divided:

Beside the fact that it would destroy any chance of stopping a disaster that had progressed past a certain point, it would also be an impossible method of command if multiple threats accumulated simultaneously.

Specifically what was stopping him from exercising his authority to modify a procedure that was intended only to stop long-range threats coming from outside the country?

I want a something specific.  It's not a question of legalities...so, what is it?

It wouldn't be impossible at all.  You can talk to and coordinate more than one plane at a time.  Also, Air Force one is set up to do just that. 

I Detailed specifically why modifying a procedure on the fly in The minutes after the attack is irresponsible and not possible many many times in our conversation.  

Jack T. Cross

• Getbig V
« Reply #156 on: December 23, 2011, 08:00:42 PM »
It wouldn't be impossible at all.  You can talk to and coordinate more than one plane at a time.  Also, Air Force one is set up to do just that.

Without further slowing down a method that's twice proved to be fatally slow?  How?

And as to the question of diminished ability?:

From the perspective of a Defense Secretary whose desire is to minimize the potential for further destruction, what if a reality were to quickly unfold that included notice of a military jet encounter with a hijacked airliner at a critical point in its transgression?

I Detailed specifically why modifying a procedure on the fly in The minutes after the attack is irresponsible and not possible many many times in our conversation.  

Beyond his own unwillingness, what was the exact mechanism that would have prevented it?

Jack T. Cross

• Getbig V
« Reply #157 on: December 25, 2011, 08:52:04 AM »
Beyond his own unwillingness, what was the exact mechanism that would have prevented it?

Maybe I can help. There wasn't anything preventing it.

We had already been hit--twice--because it was impossible to react in time.  The method of defense was inappropriate for the method of attack, and our citizens were dying as a result.

Yes, we were defenseless.

During this time, the National Command Authority--the ultimate source of all legal military commands, the President and the Defense Secretary--did not attempt to resolve the issue, and did not attempt to open dialogue.

It may surprise you to learn that the engagement order was finally given, illegally and belatedly, by Dick Cheney--a person who was NOT in the chain of command.  The military later said it didn't follow his order due to that.

Why would Cheney give an order that he knew was illegal, before trying to contact Rumsfeld, who was legally able to direct the military?

It appears we are now examining another attempt to withhold a legitimate remedy in due time, and again it was centered on a deliberate avoidance of communication.

Please give me your thoughts.

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #158 on: December 27, 2011, 01:46:44 PM »
Maybe I can help. There wasn't anything preventing it.

We had already been hit--twice--because it was impossible to react in time.  The method of defense was inappropriate for the method of attack, and our citizens were dying as a result.

Yes, we were defenseless.

During this time, the National Command Authority--the ultimate source of all legal military commands, the President and the Defense Secretary--did not attempt to resolve the issue, and did not attempt to open dialogue.

It may surprise you to learn that the engagement order was finally given, illegally and belatedly, by Dick Cheney--a person who was NOT in the chain of command.  The military later said it didn't follow his order due to that.

Why would Cheney give an order that he knew was illegal, before trying to contact Rumsfeld, who was legally able to direct the military?

It appears we are now examining another attempt to withhold a legitimate remedy in due time, and again it was centered on a deliberate avoidance of communication.

Please give me your thoughts.

No, I don't see it.  Mainly because no opportunity to deny a shoot down order was ever given because of circumstance.  No direct opportunity to give an order ever presented itself.  Had there been one, then your charge might be legit.  You keep forgetting it was also impossible to react in time to flight 77 also.   You can't charge someone for something they didn't do when the opportunity to do it never presented itself. 

Additionally, your "remedy" is a recipe for disaster and no person in those positions in their right minds would try and give shoot down authority of a civilian passenger jet to who ever in the fly.  For it happen the president would give the order, not the DS or NORAD.  (And as much as i despise BUSH i don't fault him anywhere here, the person to blame for our state of "defenselessness as you call it, is Rumsfeld's dismantling of primary radars or who ever initiated it.)   

So what you have here is:

Our inability to react and defend in time from this type of attack as it happened, not necessarily in every instance of an attack like this. 

What you don't have is:

Any evidence BUSH, Rumsfled or anyone else deliberately thwarted our defenses to allow this attack to happen.

________________________ _

What Cheney did means little, as he's a blow hard any way.  He might have figured he needed to do something in tumult.   

Jack T. Cross

• Getbig V
« Reply #159 on: December 28, 2011, 06:20:03 PM »
...your "remedy" is a recipe for disaster and no person in those positions in their right minds would try and give shoot down authority of a civilian passenger jet to who ever in the fly.

Specifically, we are talking about an engagement order.  Establishing rules to use in the event of an encounter with a potential threat of this type.

With this in mind, please tell me how shortening the chain of command would be a recipe for disaster.

No, I don't see it.  Mainly because no opportunity to deny a shoot down order was ever given because of circumstance.  No direct opportunity to give an order ever presented itself.  Had there been one, then your charge might be legit.  You keep forgetting it was also impossible to react in time to flight 77 also.   You can't charge someone for something they didn't do when the opportunity to do it never presented itself.

It appears the goal was to increase the chance of an uninterrupted attack while lessening the risk for outright exposure, with a bias toward lessening the risk for outright exposure, as such exposure would place the blame on our own leaders.  

Obviously, denying a shootdown order wouldn't help to achieve the goal.

So..using the rules that were intended only for a long range threat, the idea is to perpetuate a condition whereby an attacking plane is able to succeed within a lagged reaction time.  Although a situation may arise that could lead to a request for engagement rules on a particular plane, the chances remain greatly increased that such a plane will hit a target before it happens.

That is how such a goal is to be accomplished.

(And as much as i despise BUSH i don't fault him anywhere here, the person to blame for our state of "defenselessness as you call it, is Rumsfeld's dismantling of primary radars or who ever initiated it.)

So what you have here is:

Our inability to react and defend in time from this type of attack as it happened, not necessarily in every instance of an attack like this.  

What you don't have is:

Any evidence BUSH, Rumsfled or anyone else deliberately thwarted our defenses to allow this attack to happen.

________________________ _

What Cheney did means little, as he's a blow hard any way.  He might have figured he needed to do something in tumult.

It is very meaningful.  Because at this point, we have at least two executives whose actions are consistent with that of persons interested in achieving the suspected goal.

Most importantly, their actions are consistent with this in an otherwise unexplainable way.

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #160 on: December 29, 2011, 09:56:45 AM »
Specifically, we are talking about an engagement order.  Establishing rules to use in the event of an encounter with a potential threat of this type.

With this in mind, please tell me how shortening the chain of command would be a recipe for disaster.

That’s why I asked you to give me what Rumsfeld would have said:  Who does he call, when does he say it and what does he say.  "Shoot down the next plane you think is hijacked?"  That's a recipe for disaster.  What if they have the wrong plane in their sights? (can easily happen with hundreds flying around that day, insufficient primary radar, no AWACS, etc.)  What if the plane is being retaken by the passengers but there isn't any communication because the radio was broken?  What if it was a transponder malfunctioned?

There are other issues to:

What if it was only that attack? (WTC's)  then issuing a shoot down order could result in a mistake.

Rumsfeld is not a field commander, he's an administrator/CEO  The POTUS is the one to give that order not the DS even though he has the authority to do so, in this situation, the POTUS is the one.  

It appears the goal was to increase the chance of an uninterrupted attack while lessening the risk for outright exposure, with a bias toward lessening the risk for outright exposure, as such exposure would place the blame on our own leaders.  
You are starting with the assumption that there was a goal of this sort with zero bases in fact.  In other words, you are working from a false premise or unproven premise.  That makes it a logical fallacy.  "It appears the goal.." is your false premise.  
Obviously, denying a shootdown order wouldn't help to achieve the goal.
The opportunity never presented its self.  Which is one of the basis for the reason why you charge falls flat.

So..using the rules that were intended only for a long range threat, the idea is to perpetuate a condition whereby an attacking plane is able to succeed within a lagged reaction time.  Although a situation may arise that could lead to a request for engagement rules on a particular plane, the chances remain greatly increased that such a plane will hit a target before it happens.

That is how such a goal is to be accomplished.
Kind of doing the same thing here also, in that you are using a unproven premise as the basis for your charge then adding legit facts to it.  

It is very meaningful.  Because at this point, we have at least two executives whose actions are consistent with that of persons interested in achieving the suspected goal.

Most importantly, their actions are consistent with this in an otherwise unexplainable way.

Not really because an order of this type would have come from the president.  No one else would be willing to actually make the decision.  

Jack T. Cross

• Getbig V
« Reply #161 on: December 30, 2011, 01:55:16 PM »
That’s why I asked you to give me what Rumsfeld would have said:  Who does he call,

He could call a random drinking buddy, but since the Department of Defense dictates that he and the President are to be the lawful source of all military commands, it may make more sense call the President.  Let's start there.

Following your reasoning in this thread, why wouldn't he maintain an open line of communication with the President to field any potential requests for engagement rules?  To attempt contact after the fact would cost time, and would increase the chance of a successful attack.

when does he say it and what does he say.  "Shoot down the next plane you think is hijacked?"  That's a recipe for disaster.

The scope of possible rules in this case was very limited.  A plane that had failed visual recognition, was bearing onto a population center and had refused to break course, would be a threat and would be destroyed.  

The time to establish rules for engagement with such a threat is not after it has been discovered at a critical phase in such a movement.

What if they have the wrong plane in their sights? (can easily happen with hundreds flying around that day, insufficient primary radar, no AWACS, etc.)

After visual placement, with a skilled fighter pilot that has been trained to his core, the chances are below consideration when pitted against the other possibilities.

By the way, if this is an attempt to explain Donald Rumsfeld's actions, it would suggest that he--and only he, as there wasn't communication with anyone else--had presumed, unilaterally, to know better of the proper cognitive handling of such a scenario than the people who are actually trained to do so, including the military pilot on the scene.

What if the plane is being retaken by the passengers but there isn't any communication because the radio was broken?

And the plane was to wildly careen into a city, rather than being purposely driven there?

What if it was a transponder malfunctioned?

It would still pass visual recognition.

There are other issues to:

What if it was only that attack? (WTC's)  then issuing a shoot down order could result in a mistake.

What if there were to be a dozen more attacks?

Rumsfeld is not a field commander, he's an administrator/CEO  The POTUS is the one to give that order not the DS even though he has the authority to do so, in this situation, the POTUS is the one.

It was a joint power, requiring both.

You are starting with the assumption that there was a goal of this sort with zero bases in fact.  In other words, you are working from a false premise or unproven premise.  That makes it a logical fallacy.  "It appears the goal.." is your false premise.

It is the only premise that would set the stage for the actions that took place.  These otherwise strange behaviors were necessary to increase the chance of a successful attack while minimizing the risk for full exposure.

Because the behaviors were necessary for the goal, they took place.  Because they took place, we can now examine them.

The opportunity never presented its self.  Which is one of the basis for the reason why you charge falls flat.

Not sure what you're saying.  If a shootdown request had been received, chances are very high it would have been granted.  The necessary slant was toward minimizing risk for outright exposure, as the "war on terror" would have become a war on corrupt officials.

Kind of doing the same thing here also, in that you are using a unproven premise as the basis for your charge then adding legit facts to it.  

Not really because an order of this type would have come from the president.  No one else would be willing to actually make the decision.

The order would have had to come from the National Command Authority.  An order from any other source would increase the chance of a successful attack.

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #162 on: December 30, 2011, 02:33:43 PM »
He could call a random drinking buddy, but since the Department of Defense dictates that he and the President are to be the lawful source of all military commands, it may make more sense call the President.  Let's start there.

And where was the president at this time?  Reading stories to children when he learns of the attack at 9:06.  He finishes the stories at about 9:16 and doesn't leave the school until 9:29.  So that's out.
Following your reasoning in this thread, why wouldn't he maintain an open line of communication with the President to field any potential requests for engagement rules?  To attempt contact after the fact would cost time, and would increase the chance of a successful attack.

Mainly because he's not a field commander.  He's an administrator/CEO role in the military.  Something I have said over and over that you seem to ignore.  But its the reality.  Much of your charge is hindsight based, and puts too much on Rumsfeld role in this.  

The scope of possible rules in this case was very limited.  A plane that had failed visual recognition, was bearing onto a population center and had refused to break course, would be a threat and would be destroyed.

What if the passengers has retaken the plane while flying at a low altitude?

What if destroying the plane would result in the plane crashing into a populated area?

What if the plane is flying in a cloud patch?

The time to establish rules for engagement with such a threat is not after it has been discovered at a critical phase in such a movement.
 No, the point is you don't establish ROE on the fly and then pass them down in the heat of battle for the decision to be made by a General.  Its takes time to consider all possibilities and scenarios.  The order must be made by the president in real time.  

After visual placement, with a skilled fighter pilot that has been trained to his core, the chances are below consideration when pitted against the other possibilities.

Not at all.  "Skilled" is not the issue here.  The issue here, is Rumsfeld not being the one to make a decision of this sort on his own accord and being responsible enough to not try and work out ROE's to pass down to a fighter pilot in the heat fo the moment in the 30 minutes after the second attack.  The idea if laughable and shear ignorance (no offense) on your part regarding how the military works.  

By the way, if this is an attempt to explain Donald Rumsfeld's actions, it would suggest that he--and only he, as there wasn't communication with anyone else--had presumed, unilaterally, to know better of the proper cognitive handling of such a scenario than the people who are actually trained to do so, including the military pilot on the scene.
 A flaw in your reasoning foreshadowing more to come later in this thread.  

And the plane was to wildly careen into a city, rather than being purposely driven there?

It would still pass visual recognition.

refer above.  

What if there were to be a dozen more attacks?

Then it wouldn't have mattered as it already didn't matter any way.  Only 2 alert bases were in proximity to respond with few armed jets available.  Again, as you constantly analyzed this in heindsight, nothing like this was prepared or planned for.  

It was a joint power, requiring both.

I don't think so.
It is the only premise that would set the stage for the actions that took place.  These otherwise strange behaviors were necessary to increase the chance of a successful attack while minimizing the risk for full exposure.

Because the behaviors were necessary for the goal, they took place.  Because they took place, we can now examine them.

Is it Jack?  Com on, be objective for just a moment.  The "Only" premise?  Your consistent use of logical fallacies as the basis for your charge is why most arguments on this matter aren't taken seriously.  

Not sure what you're saying.  If a shootdown request had been received, chances are very high it would have been granted.  The necessary slant was toward minimizing risk for outright exposure, as the "war on terror" would have become a war on corrupt officials.

Probably not.  There would have been a delay, BUSH would have likely hesitated and chances are the pilot wouldn't have followed through on the order.  Additionally,  people die either way as a result, but to pull the trigger and order the shoot down isn't taken easily as you seems to think it would have been.  But of course, in hindsight things are easy to decide aren't they?

The order would have had to come from the National Command Authority.  An order from any other source would increase the chance of a successful attack.

Nah, only the president and the Commander in Chief would give the order. He'd pass it down to NORAD who in turn would order Gen. Arnold to order NEADS who would order the plane.  Or, a radio link would be set up directly with the fighter and Air Force One, but that would take too long.  that's why much changed after 9/11 and now a 2-Star can make the order.

All of which...............  is completely meaningless to this discussion because, Bush was in a class room, no further threats were identified and the military was still active and responding. And the bottom line is your charge is based on something that didn't happen in that the opportunity for a shoot down order never presented itself because there weren't any identified threats in the 30 minutes after the 9:03 attack.

You can't charge somebody for a crime for something they didn't do when doing it wouldn't have made any difference the end result other than potentially causing a horrific accident due to an incompetent order.  

And you can't use a logical fallacy (make a charge based on an unproven or assumed baseless premise) to prove wrong doing.  

PS:  i think we got to the "what" to say, but you never did the "who" and "when."

PPSS:  Every time i talk to some of the people i personally (not on the internet) know about this, who have had a life time of expertise and experience is this particular thing we are talking about, "Air defense, ATC, Flight operations etc." They often laugh and state the military doesn't operate like a video game or movie, they just aren't that fast to react to anything, especially things unplanned for.  And they are not like minded skeptics for sure.  One of them, i have had long debates with on the JFK assassination who in spite of on any solid evidence still believes JFK was a conspiracy and Oswald wasnt a lone shooter.

Jack T. Cross

• Getbig V
« Reply #163 on: December 30, 2011, 04:26:22 PM »
I want to review every point very carefully, so let's look at this more slowly:

And where was the president at this time?  Reading stories to children when he learns of the attack at 9:06.  He finishes the stories at about 9:16 and doesn't leave the school until 9:29.  So that's out.

Since it didn't render him unable to use a communication device, please tell me how this would prevent contact.

Remember, to follow your reasoning in this thread, we are talking specifically about the National Command Authority maintaining a line of communication to field potential requests for engagement rules:

Quote from: United States Department of Defense
The National Command Authority (NCA) is the ultimate lawful source of miltary orders.  The NCA consists only of the President and the Secretary of Defense or their duly deputized alternates or successors.

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #164 on: December 30, 2011, 05:01:26 PM »
I want to review every point very carefully, so let's look at this more slowly:

Since it didn't render him unable to use a communication device, please tell me how this would prevent contact.

Remember, to follow your reasoning in this thread, we are talking specifically about the National Command Authority maintaining a line of communication to field potential requests for engagement rules:

It's out because the POTUS is not an issue in this other than the fact he would make the decision to shoot down a hijacked civilian plane.

Remember hindsight!  Rumsfeld first thought, reasonably at 9:03 is not OMG we have got to get RoE's worked out and pass it to the fighter pilots ASAP for the many reasons I have said over and over. 

You have a decent line of criticism on how we defended out our country that day, even in Rumsfeld's actions to a degree considering he's not a battlefield commander, what you don't have is a case for foul play. 

Insert everything I have written so far on this thread:  ( I don't feel like typing  that much)  :)

Jack T. Cross

• Getbig V
« Reply #165 on: December 30, 2011, 09:07:35 PM »
It's out because the POTUS is not an issue in this other than the fact he would make the decision to shoot down a hijacked civilian plane.

Remember hindsight!  Rumsfeld first thought, reasonably at 9:03 is not OMG we have got to get RoE's worked out and pass it to the fighter pilots ASAP for the many reasons I have said over and over. 

You have a decent line of criticism on how we defended out our country that day, even in Rumsfeld's actions to a degree considering he's not a battlefield commander, what you don't have is a case for foul play. 

Insert everything I have written so far on this thread:  ( I don't feel like typing  that much)  :)

Let's look at it from Rumsfeld's perspective at 09:03:

**He knew we had been attacked using a method whereby hijacked airliners had been purposely flown into buildings.

**He knew we had been unable to stop them because they had taken off from nearby points.

**He knew more planes were still in the air.

At this point, do you believe he somehow calculated that there wasn't a risk for another attack to be performed in the same way?

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #166 on: December 30, 2011, 10:39:20 PM »

Let's look at it from Rumsfeld's perspective at 09:03:
**He knew we had been attacked using a method whereby hijacked airliners had been purposely flown into buildings.
**He knew we had been unable to stop them because they had taken off from nearby points.

At this point, do you believe he somehow calculated that there wasn't a risk for another attack to be performed in the same way?

I am not trying to figure what he did or didn't believe because we will never know and ANY speculation on what he did or didn't believe will be exactly that: SPECULATION.  You don't incriminate people based on speculation.  You incriminate them on facts.  I focus on what we DO KNOW.

Fact:  HE did not delibarately thwart the defense of the nation due to his inaction.  

Fact:  HE did not deliberately thwart the defense of the nation due to his actions.

Fact:  He was not an active on duty general at the time.

Show me otherwise.  

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #167 on: December 30, 2011, 11:06:36 PM »
PS I was mistaken about where he was at 9:03.  He was in his office with a CIA breifer and was notified by His assistant to the DS of public affairs, Patricia Clarke, about the second plane hitting. He instructs his chief of staff, Larry De Rita and Patricia to go to the emergency Support center and wait for him, because he wanted to make a few phone calls.  (likely to NORAD who told him there no identified threats ATM). At either 9:10 or 9:25 According to terrorism tsar Richard Clarke who was at the WH (some reports are conflicting) he was on a video conference with other leaders, such as the FBI director. 

So it's not like he was  sticking his head in the sand as the basic CT rhetoric will have your believing he was absent and unreachable for 2 hours.

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #168 on: December 30, 2011, 11:15:41 PM »
Here another little tid bit that makes it silly to think he knew a plane was going to hit the pentagon and didn't worry about it because the pentagon is so big and would have been the perfect alibi:  his office is on the outer ring!  So now he's got a 1/5-10 chance of getting hit.  Com on Jack!

Jack T. Cross

• Getbig V
« Reply #169 on: December 31, 2011, 11:42:21 AM »
PS I was mistaken about where he was at 9:03.  He was in his office with a CIA breifer and was notified by His assistant to the DS of public affairs, Patricia Clarke, about the second plane hitting.

As I mentioned several times earlier, he was told by an assistant Secretary of Defense, Torie Clarke, who was watching it on TV.

He instructs his chief of staff, Larry De Rita and Patricia to go to the emergency Support center and wait for him, because he wanted to make a few phone calls.  (likely to NORAD who told him there no identified threats ATM).

Again, as I mentioned several times earlier, he told them to "wait" in the meeting room, as he had a routine daily briefing and wanted to "make a few phone calls".  If the phone calls took place, they had no known effect on the events, and most importantly did not include contact with anyone as a member of the National Command Authority.

It should be mentioned that his assistants "waited" for him for more than an hour.

At either 9:10 or 9:25 According to terrorism tsar Richard Clarke who was at the WH (some reports are conflicting) he was on a video conference with other leaders, such as the FBI director.

Yes.  It conflicts with every other account, including what would become Rumsfeld's own testimony.  

Originally, Richard Clarke placed Rumsfeld in a video conference at the exact time Rumsfeld was found to have been recorded at the destruction site.  

Jack T. Cross

• Getbig V
« Reply #170 on: December 31, 2011, 11:44:38 AM »
This is important, OzmO.  Please tell me if you deny that his knowledge included the following:

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #171 on: January 02, 2012, 10:43:58 AM »
This is important, OzmO.  Please tell me if you deny that his knowledge included the following:

I am not trying to figure what he did or didn't believe because we will never know and ANY speculation on what he did or didn't believe will be exactly that: SPECULATION.  You don't incriminate people based on speculation.  You incriminate them on facts.  I focus on what we DO KNOW.

Fact:  HE did not delibarately thwart the defense of the nation due to his inaction.  

Fact:  HE did not deliberately thwart the defense of the nation due to his actions.

Fact:  He was not an active on duty general at the time.

Show me otherwise.  

I am confused what part of this reply don't you understand or don't agree with?

Besides at that moment, 9:03 he didn't know all 3.

He didn't know hijacked planes were flown into buildings because at 9:03 he hadn't been notified any flights were hijacked.  He can assume, but he wouldn't act on it until there was verification.  

He didn't know where those planes came from because even if the news, (which i don't think it was) was reporting at 9:03  which flight it was and were it originated from,  the military would independently verify it first.  It would have taken a few minutes at the very best for the news to figure out which flight it was.

He knew only that 3000-5000 planes were in the air in the USA at the time.  That's all.

So your speculative laced argument falls terribly flat.  And again, this isn't a video game or movie.  And at best, your assumptions here are based on hindsight.

So at 9:03 what DID HE DO?  He did what he should have logically done.  See Jack, you can't live on speculation and "only possible way" arguments that are based solely on speculation.  It's funny thinking about it, because a few pages ago we debated about him not doing anything for 2 hours, not calling anyone etc.

but now, its been revealed that he:

1. In his office about to start a meeting with a CIA breifer.  He didn't see it on TV.
2. In the minutes after 9:03 he was notified by Victoria Clarke about a second plane hitting the WTC's
3. He's informed that a crisis management team is being set up (this is part of the communication lines)
4. He sends  Victoria Clarke and his Chief of staff  down the hall, near his office to the ESC (executive support center also part of communication lines with civilian agencies and military units.)
5. He makes some phones calls likely finding out what's going on.  

In the mean time our military is going on alert, planes are being scrambled, the WH is getting a emergency video conference set up etc, etc, etc.  

Let's focus on facts....not baseless speculation, not uninformed speculation, not arguments based on a unproven premise.....

Please show me where Rumsfeld actions or in-actions caused our defenses to be thwarted that day that would have prevented the pentagon from being hit.    

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #172 on: January 02, 2012, 10:50:19 AM »
As I mentioned several times earlier, he was told by an assistant Secretary of Defense, Torie Clarke, who was watching it on TV.

Again, as I mentioned several times earlier, he told them to "wait" in the meeting room, as he had a routine daily briefing and wanted to "make a few phone calls".  If the phone calls took place, they had no known effect on the events, and most importantly did not include contact with anyone as a member of the National Command Authority.

It should be mentioned that his assistants "waited" for him for more than an hour.

Yes.  It conflicts with every other account, including what would become Rumsfeld's own testimony.  

Originally, Richard Clarke placed Rumsfeld in a video conference at the exact time Rumsfeld was found to have been recorded at the destruction site.  

So that's what you think they did?  Clarke and the Chief of staff just stood there in the ESC and did nothign but wait?  Com on Jack.

Yeah, it was an hour  give or take before he got  there.  Why?  

1.  He was making calls with a CIA briefer present find what the hell was going on.
2.  At 9:37 he went down to see what the explosion was which turned out to be flight 77.  

Now, Jack i am getting a little tired of answering your questions over and over sometimes 2 or 3 times, yet i am feeling like you aren't answering mine:

That’s why I asked you to give me what Rumsfeld would have said:  Who does he call, when does he say it and what does he say.  

(this means there would be at least 3 answers)

and

Fact:  HE did not deliberately thwart the defense of the nation due to his inaction.

Fact:  He was not an active on duty general at the time.

Show me otherwise.  

and of course...

Let's focus on facts....not baseless speculation, not uninformed speculation, not arguments based on a unproven premise.....

Please show me where Rumsfeld actions or in-actions caused our defenses to be thwarted that day that would have prevented the pentagon from being hit.  

Jack T. Cross

• Getbig V
The 'who', as I've already said, is the other half of the NCA.  That would be President Bush.

The 'when' should be upon the plane hitting the second tower--at the very latest. 

((By the way, although I haven't said anything about Rumsfeld's actions after the first attack, they couldn't possibly be more consistent with the rest of the story.

The evidence clearly shows that regular consideration was given for attacks involving planes flying into buildings--including the WTC.  With the shock of the first tower being hit, it should have been especially concerning for those in the business. 

To think that it didn't generate any effort toward simple contact between NCA members cannot be found consistent with a protective attitude.

But it's been my pattern to give the benefit of doubt in this thread; and I am willing to do it here, too.  So let's just say 'when' is at the second hit, and he should have been primed to do so from the first hit.))

The 'what' has been the main point we've been debating, and it is a simple question of whether Rumsfeld should have waited to see if a request to establish rules would arrive, or if he should have immediately established rules for the most obvious and imminent threats involving hijacked airliners.

You have stated:

He knows when they get a hijacked plane identified and intercepted the decision can be made then.

When we're talking about a Secretary of Defense who went willingly missing for half an hour.

OzmO, you are basing your conclusions on a "they wouldn't dare" theory.  Such a theory ignores facts, and it ignores the facts as they are viewed as a whole.

Jack T. Cross

• Getbig V
 It's funny thinking about it, because a few pages ago we debated about him not doing anything for 2 hours, not calling anyone etc.

but now, its been revealed that he...

I was the one to "reveal" Rumsfeld's activities many pages ago, OzmO.

Let me guess: you didn't even read it.