Author Topic: Josh Barnet vs Andre Arlovski  (Read 3738 times)

gymrat75

• Getbig III
Josh Barnet vs Andre Arlovski
« on: August 14, 2008, 12:57:29 AM »
Any predictions? I see it going the same way Arlovski's last fight went.

http://mmajunkie.com/news/5048/inside-mma-review-breaking-down-andrei-arlvoski-vs-josh-barnett.mma

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
Re: Josh Barnet vs Andre Arlovski
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2008, 01:45:17 AM »
Josh for the win.
Z

TheIronWarrior

• Getbig II
  • Do you know Meecho?
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2008, 08:40:36 AM »
Gotta say this is going to be a good match. I think Josh is going to take this match. Most likely, second round KO by strikes. My prediction......

Dball

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2008, 10:59:29 AM »
Any predictions? I see it going the same way Arlovski's last fight went.

http://mmajunkie.com/news/5048/inside-mma-review-breaking-down-andrei-arlvoski-vs-josh-barnett.mma

You think Andre is going to outstrike Josh? Wow, bold statement.

MindSpin

• Getbig V
  • MMA > Boxing
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2008, 11:25:07 AM »
The "Pit Bull" will be getting neutered in this match up.
w

gymrat75

• Getbig III
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2008, 03:21:35 PM »
Yes, I just do not think Josh is nearly as fast as Andre Arlovski. The man is very very quick on his feet.

*ChuteBoxe*

• Getbig IV
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2008, 04:16:04 PM »
Josh is slick enough to avoid Andre's right hand, Arlo did train with Freddie Roach for his last fight, but I still have yet to see him throw a left hook.  He's still a 1-6 fighter, which at my club we call the dudes who just throw a jab followed by an over hand right a little too much.  The only improvement I saw in Arlo was it looked like he got his aggression back, which he will need to keep under control against Josh or he'll end up on his back getting out positioned/Gnp'd or worse.  That being said, Josh all the way.
Predictions
 40/61

SinCitysmallGUY

• Getbig V
  • FIST-ta-CUFF Radio
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2008, 12:48:33 PM »
Josh is slick enough to avoid Andre's right hand, Arlo did train with Freddie Roach for his last fight, but I still have yet to see him throw a left hook.  He's still a 1-6 fighter, which at my club we call the dudes who just throw a jab followed by an over hand right a little too much.  The only improvement I saw in Arlo was it looked like he got his aggression back, which he will need to keep under control against Josh or he'll end up on his back getting out positioned/Gnp'd or worse.  That being said, Josh all the way.

If it stays standing I have Arlo all day LONG! If it goes to the ground I have Josh by brutal GNP.. Either way I see it at least going to the second.

Geo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2008, 04:13:05 PM »
If it stays standing I have Arlo all day LONG! If it goes to the ground I have Josh by brutal GNP.. Either way I see it at least going to the second.

ditto

Dball

« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2008, 08:22:28 PM »
Andre's right hand is brutal, for sure.  Josh won't want to strike with him for long. If Andre musters up some great takedown defense we could really be in for a fight.

SinCitysmallGUY

• Getbig V
  • FIST-ta-CUFF Radio
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2008, 10:09:19 PM »
Andre's right hand is brutal, for sure.  Josh won't want to strike with him for long. If Andre musters up some great takedown defense we could really be in for a fight.

I think Andre has one of the best jabs for a HW. The man has some dangerous hands and no question has Josh out matched in this department. However when it goes to the ground I think the tables turn a 180 Degree. Andre will not want to get taken to the ground, I think he can survive a round or two, but if it stays on the ground for two long, I think we will see Josh control the fight. I could see Josh strinking for the takedown, but he will want to shoot early to avoid having to stand with Andre for two long, let's just hope Andre has been trainin sprawl defense lots.

gymrat75

• Getbig III
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2008, 01:33:56 AM »
Why do you think Andre was slated to fight Fedor for the main event until Fedor reported his hand injury and had to pull out? Because the Affliction match makers see Andre Arlovski better than Josh Barnett.

Captain Equipoise

• Getbig V
  • back from the dead...
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2008, 11:03:26 AM »
Josh is one of the hands down toughest MMA fighters on the planet, I've seen him take beatings that would destroy other men and still keep on going, he's got an iron jaw and solid wrestling, Arlovski will die, he has a glass jaw, his hands are overrated and not much on the ground.

R.I.P Arlovski

Dball

« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2008, 11:49:29 AM »
Why do you think Andre was slated to fight Fedor for the main event until Fedor reported his hand injury and had to pull out? Because the Affliction match makers see Andre Arlovski better than Josh Barnett.

I think it was a business move more than anyhting.  Barnett is a much better fighter that Arlo, overall, and will pose the better challenge for Fedor.  Other than Randy, Josh is the fight that everyone wants to see and thinks should have happened already.  I'm not sure I'd put the fight on right away either.  Build a little momentum, a little excitement before making the fight happen.  Put him against Josh a little later in the year and then build up to the possible Coture fight. 

Trust me, it was business.  They don't think Arlo is a better fighter that Josh.

SinCitysmallGUY

• Getbig V
  • FIST-ta-CUFF Radio
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2008, 12:58:17 PM »
I think it was a business move more than anyhting.  Barnett is a much better fighter that Arlo, overall, and will pose the better challenge for Fedor.  Other than Randy, Josh is the fight that everyone wants to see and thinks should have happened already.  I'm not sure I'd put the fight on right away either.  Build a little momentum, a little excitement before making the fight happen.  Put him against Josh a little later in the year and then build up to the possible Coture fight. 

Trust me, it was business.  They don't think Arlo is a better fighter that Josh.

Spot on if you put on the superfight that you have between Josh and Fedor right away you lose all the PPV's that you can get. Think about this everyone knew who Tim Sylvia was, only the die hards knew Fedor (for the most part) Fedor destroyed Tim. People are now asking who is this Fedor guy, so you line him up against the other UFC HW champ that you have in Arlo, he walks through Arlo and then all the time your building up Josh as the #1 contender. Then you put on the superfight. Shit if Josh wins against Arlo I would still have him fight Tim to just help build some extra momentum.

gymrat75

• Getbig III
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2008, 03:48:21 PM »
Yeah, but that way its a big gamble. There is always the chance of Josh loosing and even though slim...there is the chance of Feder loosing. then everything goes out the window. The first Affliction event were all supposedly superfights.

americanbulldog

• Getbig IV
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2008, 06:31:29 PM »
Josh will win this fight.  What does Rogan call it, a small chin? 

MindSpin

• Getbig V
  • MMA > Boxing
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2008, 07:56:36 AM »

Spot on if you put on the superfight that you have between Josh and Fedor right away you lose all the PPV's that you can get. Think about this everyone knew who Tim Sylvia was, only the die hards knew Fedor (for the most part) Fedor destroyed Tim. People are now asking who is this Fedor guy, so you line him up against the other UFC HW champ that you have in Arlo, he walks through Arlo and then all the time your building up Josh as the #1 contender. Then you put on the superfight. Shit if Josh wins against Arlo I would still have him fight Tim to just help build some extra momentum.

spot on.
w

SinCitysmallGUY

• Getbig V
  • FIST-ta-CUFF Radio
« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2008, 12:21:02 PM »
spot on.

thank you sir. I just figure if you make them both walk through a past UFC champ people will be like wow look at these guys, they have to be good, they beat the X UFC champ.. While the die hards are just waiting for the shit to finally happen. 

TheIronWarrior

• Getbig II
  • Do you know Meecho?
« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2008, 03:21:27 PM »
thank you sir. I just figure if you make them both walk through a past UFC champ people will be like wow look at these guys, they have to be good, they beat the X UFC champ.. While the die hards are just waiting for the shit to finally happen. 

Freakin Sin is on Fire  :o