Author Topic: Christianity Out, Islam In  (Read 4319 times)

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
Re: Christianity Out, Islam In
« Reply #25 on: October 14, 2006, 01:00:57 PM »
I don't see that much.  Morality-based teaching/training isn't about scaring people.  It's about right and wrong.  I have never told my children they will go to hell if they sin.  I talk to them all the time about honor, integrity, honesty, their reputation, kindness, forgiveness, purity, etc.  I do talk about consequences, which is simply a reality.  You have to tell them the consequences of immoral behavior and they ought to be afraid of the consequences, but that doesn't mean their training is based entirely on fear.  Don't you think it would be odd to talk about stealing without talking about the consequence (jail, etc.)?  Why should morality-based training be any different? 

I use real life examples all the time with my kids.  For instance, a couple months ago some kids were killed in a tragic car accident.  One of their friends who was not in the car had asked his mother by phone whether he could go for a ride with his friends.  The mom said no and the kid didn't go.  Obedience saved his life.  We talked about that at the dinner table. 

Another example is a credit card I found on the ground one night in town.  I called the company to let them know so they could cancel the card, then brought it home and cut it up in front of my kids. 

Those are the kinds of lessons I use with them.   

I wasn't inferring you scare your children into doing the right thing.  My point was, the message religous organizations are senidng is based on the fear of going to hell and that message isn't being accepted the way it used to be.  The delivedry needs to be changed IMO.