Author Topic: All Elite Wrestling  (Read 21941 times)

Playboy

• Getbig V
  • If the bar ain't bending, you're just pretending
All Elite Wrestling
« on: January 18, 2019, 04:57:53 AM »
Last week, All Elite Wrestling held a big news conference to confirm most of what we suspected. The new promotion headed by Cody Rhodes and The Young Bucks has cash, good wrestlers, and attitude, placing it in a good position to chip away at WWE’s dominance. AEW is real and it’s spectacular.

David Bixenspan wrote up a quality post-mortem of the press conference last Thursday over at Deadspin. It’s worth a read, but the final takeaway is that this is as close to a modern, wrestler-led approach to the business end of pro wrestling as we’ve ever seen. The contracts are tailored to each wrestler and merchandise rights are far more generous, with wrestlers being able to operate their own merch shops—a far cry from WWE’s draconian control of wrestlers’ image and exclusivity clauses.

All of that is good, but where AEW represents a real change is in how injuries are handled. As Bixenspan notes, the rumored health insurance wasn’t confirmed, but AEW  will be covering costs for any injuries incurred at their events. That’s a massive change from how most promotions—WWE generally takes care of in-ring injuries, as well—deal with injury issues and puts pressure on them to change up how pro wrestlers are taken care of.

Health insurance must be an integral part of any worker-centered promotion, however: the men and women of AEW are employees and they deserve the benefits which come with that status. Pro wrestling has historically been a perverse foreshadowing of our current age of precarity. We’re all independent contractors now, working by the gig and paying for travel expenses. And besides, AEW has the money.

We know this by, of course, looking at the Khans, Shahid and Tony, who are the co-owners. They’re wildly wealthy, worth twice or more what Vince McMahon is. This is their third sporting venture, after Fulham FC and the Jacksonville Jaguars; their portfolio is the definition of the billionaire sports adventurer. But we also know just by looking at what information we have about the contracts.

In an interview with Chris Van Vliet, Chris Jericho let slip that his AEW money is “the biggest offer of my career by far.” Jericho has long been one of the big names in pro wrestling and worked under big contracts with WCW, WWE, and NJPW prior to this new stint in AEW.

The speculation over the past few months has been that the contracts  may be very lucrative. While we don’t have specifics, Jericho’s interview indicates they  are and that, at least at the top end, they outstrip WWE’s offerings by a wide margin. For him to be offered a contract which dwarfs an upper-card WWE contract, with the implication that the offer may have been bigger than WWE’s contracts without much negotiation, means WWE is in trouble at the one place they’re strongest since WCW folding: the size of their contracts.

This is going to have all sorts of knock-on effects. There are WWE wrestlers who are very frustrated with their lot in WWE. Little is ever said directly—nobody wants to be blacklisted by a monopoly—but murmurs always come up via snide comments on Instagram or eye-rolling in interviews. We know that Zack Ryder is hardly happy and that Rusev probaby isn’t. Andrade Almas is ready for something new. Beyond that, take your pick of who has solid grounds for being frustrated. Are Kevin Owens and Sami Zayn really content to be a duo comedy act working the same frenemies angle for the next decade? Is Kairi Sane going to risk being buried on the main roster after another two years in NXT?

This is the trap WWE has created. By buying up so many top pro wrestlers from around the world in an attempt to lock them down, WWE has assembled the most talented top to bottom roster in pro wrestling history, but by necessity can’t make them all happy. Instead, what’s happened is that every single wrestler in WWE gets more mainstream exposure than they otherwise might, making them stars in waiting for a promotion like AEW.

WWE is shook. While the AEW rumors were still coalescing, it turns out that WWE offered The Young Bucks one of the strangest contracts in its history. Knowing that the Khans weren’t going to launch AEW without the Bucks, WWE offered the brothers a contract worth AJ Styles money to each, with a clause that they could leave without consequence during the first six months if they were unhappy.

That sort of contract offer isn’t a mark of confidence, but a sign that WWE was willing to change every bit of how they do business  in this one instance to squash AEW before it started. The Young Bucks are very good, and perhaps creative geniuses for an ironic age, but the WWE contract had nothing to do with either attribute.

None of this means that AEW is destined to succeed. Pro wrestling is littered with the pet projects of rich, vain men. Tony Khan seems to be taking the day-to-day reins from the business end and he’s a pro wrestling superfan. But Ted Turner was a pro wrestling superfan, too, albeit one who was less knowledgeable about its inner workings than Khan seems to be. WCW didn’t survive, despite all the in-ring talent money could buy. It may be that the historical lesson is that pro wrestling only has the barest chance to work at a large scale with a meddling money mark, in which case that mark needs to be very, very good at what they do. We don’t know that Khan is, only that Turner wasn’t and McMahon used to be.

AEW also still needs television, which they don’t have. In a sign that the universe is a vicious appreciation for irony, TNT and TBS are the two networks coming up the most in rumors, 20 years after the Turner networks swore that pro wrestling was never going to be on their corner of cable after WCW died.

If they get that deal, AEW is cemented as a big deal. As it is, something has already broken in pro wrestling’s treatment of its workers. They’ve always borne the costs for everything their profession needs: clothing, travel, healthcare, and the hard work of continuous creative self-invention. They take all the risks. We have confirmation that they’re getting ready to see a lot more of the rewards.

stingray

• Getbig III
Re: All Elite Wrestling
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2019, 12:01:18 PM »
They going to have anybody in there more than 90kg?

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2019, 05:35:03 AM »
They going to have anybody in there more than 90kg?
That's the thing, the days of huge physiques in wrestling is over. Its taken a different turn.

stingray

• Getbig III
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2019, 06:45:02 PM »
That's the thing, the days of huge physiques in wrestling is over. Its taken a different turn.

Yeah I have noticed that, ok I understand crack down on hard drugs,cocaine,ice etc, but don't mind the steroid use in wrestling.

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2019, 01:01:04 PM »
Yeah I have noticed that, ok I understand crack down on hard drugs,cocaine,ice etc, but don't mind the steroid use in wrestling.
That's always been a grey area and touchy subject for me. The general public simply doesn't understand Anabolic Steroids. Period. There is nothing wrong with small reasonable dosages of steroids taken. No different than drinking beers. Drink 4 in a row and your good...drink 24 in a row and your going to the hospital like anything else in life. People will take 8 balls of cocaine, pop extra strength Advil's like pez when they have a headache, pills for birth control, pills for coughs/colds, pain killers for back pain, but everyone thinks "steroids are bad because they saw on CNN"  ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2019, 05:39:18 AM »
Looks like they just signed Kenny Omega. Rumors are that Anderson & Gallows, Dean Ambrose and possibly A.J Styles will sign once their contracts expire.

cheftim

• Getbig III
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2019, 11:41:43 AM »
AEW gets Ambrose, Goldberg, AJ Lee, CM Punk, and Vince is in serious trouble. Lesnar has no loyalty to WWE and would definitely jump ship to AEW. Just imagine if the AEW owners dug deep into their pockets and paid the Rock for an appearance. Vince has dodged many bullets in my life time. I think his nine lives are close to running out. 

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2019, 05:25:46 AM »
I just read that Ambrose will be re-signing with WWE. Not sure though if there is any truth to that one.

cheftim

• Getbig III
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2019, 06:47:17 AM »
I just read that Ambrose will be re-signing with WWE. Not sure though if there is any truth to that one.
If I were him I'd walk before AEW starts getting bigger names. Right now is when his value is the highest for them. WWE will always be there. VKM takes everybody back. If the boys from the Shield are as tight as everyone says Ambrose leaving is a big deal. He could bait Reigns and Rollins to join when their contracts run out. If AEW gets the Shield and CM Punk things will definitely get interesting.

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2019, 04:40:56 AM »
If I were him I'd walk before AEW starts getting bigger names. Right now is when his value is the highest for them. WWE will always be there. VKM takes everybody back. If the boys from the Shield are as tight as everyone says Ambrose leaving is a big deal. He could bait Reigns and Rollins to join when their contracts run out. If AEW gets the Shield and CM Punk things will definitely get interesting.
They got Jericho and for big bucks.

cheftim

• Getbig III
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2019, 11:02:06 AM »
https://wrestlingnews.co/wwe-news/report-dean-ambrose-still-planning-on-leaving-wwe/
Unless he gets more money with a lesser schedule I cannot see why he would stay. He'll always be in Reigns and Rollins shadow in WWE. He could go to AEW and become a potential top guy while making the big bucks.

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2019, 11:55:45 AM »
https://wrestlingnews.co/wwe-news/report-dean-ambrose-still-planning-on-leaving-wwe/
Unless he gets more money with a lesser schedule I cannot see why he would stay. He'll always be in Reigns and Rollins shadow in WWE. He could go to AEW and become a potential top guy while making the big bucks.
He's had his time too and made his money. He did stints in New Japan as well. Plus he has Fozzy. I don't think he really cares at this point.

WoogsRaven

• Getbig III
  • Whisper sumthin nice and I'll make ya scream twice
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2019, 11:55:33 AM »
AEW will definitely give WWE a run for it's money. Competition is always good, to the fan's benefit.

cheftim

• Getbig III
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2019, 08:33:44 AM »
JR is a huge sign. The big one will be The Best In The World. 100% Punk and AJ Lee will join to try and bring down the WWE. That to me is the most interesting part of all this. If that whole controversy didn't happen with Punk leaving the WWE bitter I wouldn't see AEW as a threat. VKM, Stephanie, and her Doofus husband HHH know that if AEW signs CM Punk they are gonna be in trouble. I apologize. I forgot how to post youtube vids properly.
&t=61s

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2019, 05:07:32 AM »
JR is a huge sign. The big one will be The Best In The World. 100% Punk and AJ Lee will join to try and bring down the WWE. That to me is the most interesting part of all this. If that whole controversy didn't happen with Punk leaving the WWE bitter I wouldn't see AEW as a threat. VKM, Stephanie, and her Doofus husband HHH know that if AEW signs CM Punk they are gonna be in trouble. I apologize. I forgot how to post youtube vids properly.
&t=61s
I doubt Punk will go. He stated many times that he was completely done with pro wrestling.

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2019, 04:01:36 PM »
I doubt Punk will go. He stated many times that he was completely done with pro wrestling.

Interesting...

What other options has he got lined up?

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2019, 04:45:17 AM »

Interesting...

What other options has he got lined up?
MMA and comic cons

cheftim

• Getbig III
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2019, 08:25:12 AM »
I'll bet anything he's going to AEW. I admire his MMA run but he's a wrestler. Punk's had enough time away from the ring to clear his mind. He and AJ are gonna sign a huge deal and be the faces of the company. After he signs the WWE crowd will rain down constant chants of CM PUNK at every event. This will be way bigger then Razor going to WCW.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2019, 04:46:10 PM »
MMA and comic cons

Last I'd heard, he lost both of his "high-profile" matches, and has been doing more or less commentary for a UFC affiliate.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2019, 04:47:21 PM »
I'll bet anything he's going to AEW. I admire his MMA run but he's a wrestler. Punk's had enough time away from the ring to clear his mind. He and AJ are gonna sign a huge deal and be the faces of the company. After he signs the WWE crowd will rain down constant chants of CM PUNK at every event. This will be way bigger then Razor going to WCW.

He's claimed he's DONE with pro-wrestling. The upstart of AEW will prove just how strong his convictions are.

cheftim

• Getbig III
« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2019, 06:40:43 AM »
https://wrestlingnews.co/wwe-news/dean-ambrose-gave-a-final-bow-to-the-fans-after-wwe-monday-night-raw-went-off-the-air/?fbclid=IwAR3fRRgeTh1gvk08EZpyqilSMA7-uO7uIOaq-2DEdCMtnYuPhnErH3hPb0k
All those years they were pushing him as the leader of the shield and he was gonna be the next big superstar. I never saw anything special in Dean Ambrose. Especially when they rebranded him into a lunatic never giving a story behind what made him crazy. Hopefully they market him correctly in AEW. Talent wise I cannot see him leaving hurting VKM at all. But his departure could definitely inspire others to follow.

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
  • Dumb people think Trump is smart.
« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2019, 10:50:37 PM »
All the money in the world won't matter if they can't put out a compelling product that makes people want to watch it each week.  Which means they are going to have to go back to the old school way of booking and developing angles/feuds.   Something Vince doesn't know how to do.

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2019, 12:05:47 PM »
All the money in the world won't matter if they can't put out a compelling product that makes people want to watch it each week.  Which means they are going to have to go back to the old school way of booking and developing angles/feuds.   Something Vince doesn't know how to do.
Took the words right out of my mouth

cheftim

• Getbig III
« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2019, 01:51:20 PM »
Took the words right out of my mouth
The only guy I see on the roster being able to do any kinda story telling is the MIZ.