Author Topic: People Question if Dex is too small to be Mr. O  (Read 6255 times)

Parker

• Getbig V
  • He Sees The Stormy Anger Of The World
People Question if Dex is too small to be Mr. O
« on: February 04, 2009, 01:17:34 PM »
Well, back in 2003, Flex Magazine had a pic of Richard Jones and asked the question (a hype one): Future Mr. O? Well Richard is 5'7, and about 215. Now if Flex was hyping their under 5'10 man as the next Mr. O, why is it questioned that Dex is too small to be Mr. O?

Also, people couldn't stand when  Jay was the Mr. O, said he looked like a fridge (I did say that as well), And people can't stand Dex now. Also, a small minority couldn't stand it because Ronnie won controversially sometimes, yet he was too dominate to overthrow. Ronnie had to beat himself for Jay to win.   

I think the problem is people are expecting a Dominate Mr. O like Ronnie, and that won't happen for a while.  But, I like the see-saw affect, Because Dex won last year, and say Phil wins this year, it just might revitalize Bodybuilding and give it more "street cred" as being more legit....

Here's Richard Jones...

http://musclememory.com/magCover.php?fl;2110;Flex

Brutal_1

• Getbig V
  • Your best is...
Re: People Question if Dex is too small to be Mr. O
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2009, 01:25:49 PM »

Nothing wrong with a short man winning the show...it can still be very entertaining

just not good enough

hipolito mejia

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2009, 02:05:07 PM »
There's not such thing as too small to be Mr.O.
Youre either good or not....

1- Columbu was small (short),  but a true powerhouse and inspiration (at least in 76')
2- Zane was damn small but bb fans were inspired by him.
3- Dickerson was small but was cool and the best BB in the world in 82 plus was deserving the tittle since the past 3 years.....

The problem with Dexter is that he looks like he's all drugs,high lats,high calves weird torso (chest insertion ) and his head looks like a chesse burger.

just_a_pilgrim

• Getbig IV
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2009, 02:09:10 PM »

1- Columbu was small (short),  but a true powerhouse and inspiration (at least in 76')
3- Dickerson was small but was cool and the best BB in the world in 82 plus was deserving the tittle since the past 3 years.....

The problem with Dexter is that he looks like he's all drugs,high lats,high calves weird torso (chest insertion ) and his head looks like a chesse burger.

spinnis

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2009, 02:15:01 PM »

BECAUSE THERE WASNT ANY MONSTERS BACK THEN

retard haha

hipolito mejia

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2009, 02:18:08 PM »
BECAUSE THERE WASNT ANY MONSTERS BACK THEN

retard haha

Because there wasnt many DRUGS back then ...you had to be better than average to make it.

MAMA GUEVO haha

bodybuilder1234

• Getbig IV
  • Manny Pacquiao KO Floyd 1
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2009, 02:36:08 PM »
Well, back in 2003, Flex Magazine had a pic of Richard Jones and asked the question (a hype one): Future Mr. O? Well Richard is 5'7, and about 215. Now if Flex was hyping their under 5'10 man as the next Mr. O, why is it questioned that Dex is too small to be Mr. O?

Also, people couldn't stand when  Jay was the Mr. O, said he looked like a fridge (I did say that as well), And people can't stand Dex now. Also, a small minority couldn't stand it because Ronnie won controversially sometimes, yet he was too dominate to overthrow. Ronnie had to beat himself for Jay to win.   

I think the problem is people are expecting a Dominate Mr. O like Ronnie, and that won't happen for a while.  But, I like the see-saw affect, Because Dex won last year, and say Phil wins this year, it just might revitalize Bodybuilding and give it more "street cred" as being more legit....

Here's Richard Jones...
http://musclememory.com/magCover.php?fl;2110;Flex

I think the real reason people dont like him is because he has the personality of a brick wall.
Nothing really interesting about his personality on and off the stage, great physique but lacks charisma and showmanship needed to gain attention.

disco_stu

• Getbig V
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2009, 02:43:08 PM »
size has only something to do with it.

thats been the problem for years- size has been over emphasized.

its possible to make up for horrible genetics and symmetry with size...you can put it on here and there to get the look you're after.

But adding it and achieving the look at any size is the key to great BB.

Mr.O should be the best BB..period. Not the biggest.

That means equal consideration for size, aesthetics, symmetry, balance in all the compulsory poses, presentation, conditioning etc.

No One can touch Dex right now..and IMO for the last few years. I still consider the front dbi pose as the leveller- and most pro BB's look crap doing it. Dex is one of the few that looks good doing it.

That's why he's mr.o

He's the best BB.

hipolito mejia

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2009, 03:42:30 PM »
I think the real reason people dont like him is because he has the personality of a brick wall.
Nothing really interesting about his personality on and off the stage, great physique but lacks charisma and showmanship needed to gain attention.

BB is not a Mr.popularity contest.

WHo cares about charisma when ur flexing in the O stage?

You really do?

The guy doesnt have an amazing physique (nor amazing body part) take the top 6 of 10 years ago and he woud have placed 7th.

OneMoreRep

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2009, 03:47:39 PM »
I don't think Dexter is too small to be Mr. Olympia, but the damn troll certainly is too ugly to be Mr. Olympia..

"1"

Topskin69

• Getbig IV
  • Deshay with the gauge, Vanilla with the nine.
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2009, 04:03:41 PM »

I dont think Dexter is too small....I do however, think that Dexter is too much of a Douchebag to be Mr. O.

I wonder if he loses the title next year, that he will smack his bitch up again?

M!

oldman

• Getbig III
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2009, 06:25:43 AM »
Back in the day, the champs had something special about them...Arnolds chest and biceps, Robbys arms, Columbos back...

You might be able to achieve the size they had, but the wow factor is something everyone does not have!!!

Dex is a one time Olympia like Samir was, Heath wont win this year.  Heath wont win until his chest outshines his arms.

For example, if Cutler cam in with a great back, he would take it again.  Ronnie could take it again if he reinvented himself.

There are no legends anymore...

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2009, 06:44:27 AM »
Back in the day, the champs had something special about them...Arnolds chest and biceps, Robbys arms, Columbos back...

You might be able to achieve the size they had, but the wow factor is something everyone does not have!!!

Dex is a one time Olympia like Samir was, Heath wont win this year.  Heath wont win until his chest outshines his arms.

For example, if Cutler cam in with a great back, he would take it again.  Ronnie could take it again if he reinvented himself.

There are no legends anymore...

I find it strange that we hear the same things, when it comes to guys criticizing bodybuilders they don't like. They'll claim that a certain top-ranked bodybuilder will never win the Olympia. Then, if he actually pulls it off and does it, the subject switches to, "Oh, he'll just win it one time, like Samir" (exactly what some folks said about Jay Cutler two years ago).

Nobody thought when Ronnie won his first title that he would tie Haney's record of 8 straight, especially given the fact that he barely beat Flex Wheeler to become Mr. Olympia. As for the "legends" thing, it's hard for Jackson to be a legend, considering that THIS IS HIS FIRST OLYMPIA TITLE. Give him time and who knows. Ten years from know, he could be among the bodybuilding legends.

saucetradomous

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2009, 06:47:59 AM »

....it just might revitalize Bodybuilding and give it more "street cred" as being more legit....

I picture a bunch of alley dwellers dealing methamphetamines talking about how credible bodybuilding is now..

Palpatine Q

• Getbig V
  • Disdain/repugnance....Version 3: glare variation B
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2009, 07:01:18 AM »
Dex has been an idiot in my book ever since Arnold Schwarzennegger handed him the Mic after Dex won the Arnold.
Instead of promoting the sport, the dedication it requires to be successful, and what an honor it was to win, he basically said he just rolled outta bed that morning and showed up.......and then pimped Muscletech.

EPIC FAIL

oldman

• Getbig III
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2009, 07:34:08 AM »
McWay

Dex has been around a long time, he is no legend.  Flex is.  He wont repeat the Olympia.  I am not predicting who will be, but sometimes bodybuilders come out of nowhere to win a show.  Levrone had it, and its amazing to see what happens when the diet and training stop.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2009, 07:45:05 AM »
McWay

Dex has been around a long time, he is no legend.  Flex is.  He wont repeat the Olympia.  I am not predicting who will be, but sometimes bodybuilders come out of nowhere to win a show.  Levrone had it, and its amazing to see what happens when the diet and training stop.

Let some people tell it, Dex wasn't supposed to win it, in the first place (something once said about the man whom he defeated, Jay Cutler). Now that he has won it, we got folks saying that Jackson won't win it again (something ALSO once said about Cutler).

Flex is a legend, because HE HAS RETIRED (and has been such for several years).  I don't expect retired bodybuilders (or athletes from other venues) to look or perform the same as they did in their prime, hence the word......RETIRED.

The same applies with Kevin Levrone, especially with his trimming down INTENTIONALLY, as part of his effort to launch/continue his fledling acting career.

oldman

• Getbig III
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2009, 08:01:21 AM »
Just a note about being a bodybuilding "legend".  You dont have to retire to be a legend, either you are or you are not.  Heath may be one...for some reason Rory Leidemeyer is one. 

Dex is not one.

Stark

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2009, 09:29:13 AM »
I think it is the first step into the right direction - away from the beef to maybe back to more balanced and "flowing" bodies, god know BB needs salvation hard and you cannot force change in one day, so I guess they do it in stages.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2009, 01:58:26 PM »
Just a note about being a bodybuilding "legend".  You dont have to retire to be a legend, either you are or you are not.  Heath may be one...for some reason Rory Leidemeyer is one. 

Dex is not one.

Leidemeyer's a "legend" for all the wrong reasons. He was pegged to be one of the all-time greats; but he didn't even win his pro card. He's in that "Best bodybuilder never to win the Nationals/USA/Universe" category.

Heath is way too young to be a "legend"; right now, he's the phenom of pro bodybuilding.

He won a pro-qualifier on his first try and won his first two pro shows, against some stiff competition. He placed 3rd in his Olympia debut. He's accomplished more in three years than most good/great pros accomplish in a decade.

As I said, Jackson's legendary status has yet to be determined. He may like a football team that's a perennial playoff, whose players are a bit long in the tooth, that wins a Super Bowl, before age and free-agency tears the team apart (i.e. the 2002 Buccaneers).

Jackson has relatively quitely crept up the ranks, has been knocking on the door, and (when Cutler slipped) he cashed in and is now THE MAN.

I think it is the first step into the right direction - away from the beef to maybe back to more balanced and "flowing" bodies, god know BB needs salvation hard and you cannot force change in one day, so I guess they do it in stages.

I don't think it's "away form the beef" at all. Dex has got it all. He brought the complete package and walked away with the Sandow.

bigbobs

• Getbig V
  • Islam, Nasser and Corvettes.
« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2009, 02:43:10 PM »
Of course not  ;D

BAZZERKER

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2009, 09:22:53 PM »
In my opinion dexter has a great  physique... But to small to be mr olympia... way to small!!!  he doesnt seam to get a lotta press either.  Everyone complains they dont like mass monsters but then the small guy wins and nobody gives a shit...
I

oldman

• Getbig III
« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2009, 09:39:55 PM »
Look, Dex will be humiliated in the next O, if he competes.  There are too many other average pro physiques out there.  What makes us remember Zane, Columbo, etc

Pecs

• Getbig IV
« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2009, 09:57:33 AM »
I guess from haney onwards..... the top bodybuilder must be a really huge man, even when all covered up like cutler, yates and coleman.

Ron

• Getbigistrator
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2009, 02:29:46 PM »

I care the most on symmetry, not on the monster freaks.

Shawn Ray, and Flex Wheeler, when they were at their best at the various Olympias, should of won during those years over a 'mass monster' who had bigger muscles, but less symmetry. 

It is an overall appearance.

As for Dex, he won the Mr. Olympia, he is not too small nor too big, on that night in 2008, he was the best overall bodybuilder on stage.