Author Topic: "Back in The Days When I Was Young..."  (Read 13173 times)

Parker

• Getbig V
  • He Sees The Stormy Anger Of The World
"Back in The Days When I Was Young..."
« on: December 02, 2010, 12:39:39 PM »
Okay, this is the "Back in The Days " Thread, where you talk about your "Back in Days", what you reminisce about, what you miss, and even what you don't miss...

I'll start, I miss recess, kickball, and home made lunches, Pacman Atari, Commodore 64, my first Nitendo (Duck Hunt, etc), lottos (shoes), BK (British Knights), Alligator shirts. No perverts kidnapping kids, and Rite Aide used to sell Playboys  ;D

"I remember way back when...back in days"

And yeah, this was inspired by Ahmad's "Back in Day"

SilverSpoon

• Getbig IV
Re: "Back in The Days When I Was Young..."
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2010, 01:12:42 PM »
Lotto's Boris Becker model was damned near perfect.
I miss Diadora as well.  I once had a Diadora t-shirt that said:  "Diadora:  Like Ferraris for your feet".

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
  • Call the vet, cause these pythons are sick!
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2010, 01:15:57 PM »
I miss dodgeball in PE and trying to rupture someones spleen.

I miss that weird feeling you got in your nether region when climbing the rope.....WTF was that all about?

I miss watching sports and thinking it really mattered to me.

I miss the music from back in the day....grew up on RUN-DMC, Beastie Boys and hair bands (who all blow away the shit on radio now).

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2010, 01:28:34 PM »
This is a great thread, I had a few glasses of a great Chardonay at lunch and can't think straight. Get back soon on this!

Parker

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2010, 01:30:03 PM »
Lotto's Boris Becker model was damned near perfect.
I miss Diadora as well.  I once had a Diadora t-shirt that said:  "Diadora:  Like Ferraris for your feet".
I had Diadoras as well...
And "panting" girls, and getting head during class movies...
I miss half days in school during senior yr. I miss K-Swiss, and polo shirts, De La Soul (Me Myself and I), tribe Called Quest, Big Daddy Kane, Heavy D, Bahamadia, Patra, In Living Color, Fat Albert, He-Man, GI Joe,.

Mr Nobody

• Getbig V
  • Falcon gives us new knowledge every single day.
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2010, 01:34:56 PM »
I miss my BB competion days before I figured out you got to be on drugs to take it to a higher level and then finding out most of the audience are fags. A damn depressing wake up call.

makaveli25

• Getbig V
  • RTR
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2010, 01:37:04 PM »
I miss smoking a little bit of bud at the park and playing basketball all day in the summer. After that I would have a soccer game or something and then go to the gym and lift weights. Lots of energy a ton of endurance. I was a great athlete.

epic_alien

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2010, 01:38:54 PM »
troop shoes,

british knights, i had the ambassador

some overall jeans with only one strap on.

quicksilver shirts

fuck i wore some stupid shit

Benito Mutumbo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2010, 01:41:26 PM »
Thursday night television from the 80's

8pm Magnum
9pm Simon & Simon
10pm Hill Street Blues

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2010, 01:42:35 PM »
Friday night CBS....

Incredible Hulk

Dukes of Hazzard

Parker

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2010, 01:53:28 PM »
The Cosby Show, Fresh Prince of Bel Air, Blossom (yeah, I liked Six), Moesha,

Wonder Woman (The theme song was the shit), The Greastest American Hero,

Head Tennis Rackets (good for hitting people), My High Top Fade (6" high, with a part in the front)
I don't miss my dad driving me to and from practice in his 1976 Volvo.

Bell Biv Devoe (Poison), Johnny Gill.

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2010, 01:56:52 PM »
The Cosby Show, Fresh Prince of Bel Air, Blossom (yeah, I liked Six), Moesha,

Wonder Woman (The theme song was the shit), The Greastest American Hero,

Head Tennis Rackets (good for hitting people), My High Top Fade (6" high, with a part in the front)
I don't miss my dad driving me to and from practice in his 1976 Volvo.

Bell Biv Devoe (Poison), Johnny Gill.

Parker, I've seen fades making a comeback on college hoops players and even a few younger dudes I've seen around town. You should get a fresh cut... ;D

SilverSpoon

• Getbig IV
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2010, 01:58:09 PM »
Parker, I was sponsored by K-Swiss beginning in '93.
Lots of dudes made fun of my SI-18's.  I had every color, including black with purple (my favorite at the time).  They just didn't know K-Swiss yet.
By "sponsored", I mean this:  K-Swiss would "sponsor" you if you were the #1 tennis player at your high school and had a certain Middle States tennis ranking.  You got 1/2 off first pair, 1/2 off second pair, and third pair for free.
Then came the clothing deal, where they would throw you lots of t-shirts and socks, a few warm-ups (my favorite brand was Sergio Tachinni and Fila back then).

Parker

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2010, 02:09:08 PM »
Parker, I was sponsored by K-Swiss beginning in '93.
Lots of dudes made fun of my SI-18's.  I had every color, including black with purple (my favorite at the time).  They just didn't know K-Swiss yet.
By "sponsored", I mean this:  K-Swiss would "sponsor" you if you were the #1 tennis player at your high school and had a certain Middle States tennis ranking.  You got 1/2 off first pair, 1/2 off second pair, and third pair for free.
Then came the clothing deal, where they would throw you lots of t-shirts and socks, a few warm-ups (my favorite brand was Sergio Tachinni and Fila back then).

Ive heard of that, K-Swiss sponsoring tennis players, back when they were big...
I liked Filas, but Diadoras were the first name brand shoes I had, other than Zips...

I don't miss Rustler Jeans and or fish heads...
 Our basketball team was sponsored by Nike, I know that is the norm these days. And Nike invited certain players to their camps (the norm now)

Do you remember getting Eastbay catalogs in the mail and opening it up like it was a BEST catalog...

And remember Best Catalogs, and Cheryl Teague?

noworries

• Getbig V
  • Train Heavy or Go Home
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2010, 02:21:12 PM »
Parker, Eastbay was for the black kids, no offense.
I had Hollabird, which was all things tennis and running shoes.

Are you from the west coast.  Do you know who Wayne Bryan is.  I was his assistant as a kid.  I loved tennis.  It has been awhile but I hired the same coach who taught Tracy Austin to teach my daughter.  I was lucky to play with some very famous tennis players like Bjorn Borg, Vitas Geraulitis, Vijay Armitraj, my partner for a match Nels Van Patten and a few more.  I was far far far from being in their league but I could serve pretty good and had a good backhand.

On a side note how can anyone talk about their past.  It means nothing to the present :D
No Worries 4 me

SilverSpoon

• Getbig IV
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2010, 02:24:39 PM »
Keith, I am from Jersey.
You named a bunch of guys that were from the generation before I really got into tennis.  Van Patten was an interesting one, as he grew up fairly famous.  In today's world, he would be a millionaire because of a reality show and it wouldn't matter if he didn't have any talent for entertainment or tennis.   ;D
I was actually a better basketball player than tennis player, but ended up playing Div. I tennis (I was NOT a great collegiate tennis player, but good enough to play Div. I NCAA).

Parker

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2010, 02:25:39 PM »
Parker, Eastbay was for the black kids, no offense.
I had Hollabird, which was all things tennis and running shoes.
None taken, actually Eastbay was real big with the military, and being that we reside in Annapolis and alot of people were from Ft. Meade, many had Eastbay Catalogs...

BTW, the DC area is the biggest market for New Balances--540s

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles

I also miss school assemblies, where you got out of class. Also, when you thought that "your" BMX bike was the Shit!

And yeah Epic, I used to wear my overalls with one side up... And pagers were big in high school.

HTexan

• Getbig V
  • Heath must lose!!
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2010, 02:28:40 PM »
playing basketball 5 hours + a day and eating nothing but fast food and only gaining muscle.
A

SilverSpoon

• Getbig IV
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2010, 02:29:20 PM »
Even I wore my overalls with one side up my freshman year.
Like I said, I was "down", but could crossover into full prep mode at any given time.
Shit, the reason I initially got into Kool G Rap was because of the name "DJ Polo".  My boys even replaced the "DJ" with my initials and would call me "-- Polo".  I was most definitely the only white kid that routinely listened to Kool G.

Option D

• Getbig V
  • Kelly the Con Way
« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2010, 02:33:55 PM »
Eddie Bauer Plad shirts with docker pants, Oxford shoes..

Nautica jackets with the first penny hardaways that cost 200

K-1

• Getbig IV
  • TEAM NO MERCY!!!
« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2010, 02:35:46 PM »
My old nickname "Pimp" from HS and all the females that came along with it
Sex on half days in HS
Parking lot pimping
House Parties
Pulling the baddest broads in HS as a freshman
Kung Fu theater
K-1 on espn
He-Man and Dr. Who

Parker

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2010, 02:37:28 PM »
Even I wore my overalls with one side up my freshman year.
Like I said, I was "down", but could crossover into full prep mode at any given time.
Shit, the reason I initially got into Kool G Rap was because of the name "DJ Polo".  My boys even replaced the "DJ" with my initials and would call me "-- Polo".  I was most definitely the only white kid that routinely listened to Kool G.
Kool G has a kid with Karrine Steffans...

I remember Third Base, and giving people "The Gas Face"
and the Cuban rapper who had the song "Mentriosa", and the hip hop show that featured Dee (apparently she got beat up by Dr. Dre).

Watching the women on Soul Train in their miniskirts...
The first time I saw a Pam Grier movie...
And finding out just how big D cups really are...

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #22 on: December 02, 2010, 03:27:35 PM »
I remember walking to school uphill both ways in all kinds of weather.  Pong was the only video game and we were amazed at it.  Maybe Youtube has a video of this game.  Girls all had a nice triangle bush.  Now they are all shaved.  You could drive anywhere because gas was so cheap. Anything you caught from sex could be cured with a pill or a shot.  Now sex can kill you or the disease can stay with you for life.  All girls had natural tits.  The fake ones of today look like someone put a plastic bag under the skin.  I will take real ones any day.  Moms stayed home and dads went to work.  In college many girls wore dresses or jeans with heels.  They had their hair done up.  Ever go to a college campus today?  Many of the girls are wearing dirty shoes, dirty jeans and some garbage tee shirt.  There hair looks like crap. 

Option D

• Getbig V
  • Kelly the Con Way
« Reply #23 on: December 02, 2010, 03:31:03 PM »
I remember walking to school uphill both ways in all kinds of weather.  Pong was the only video game and we were amazed at it.  Maybe Youtube has a video of this game.  Girls all had a nice triangle bush.  Now they are all shaved.  You could drive anywhere because gas was so cheap. Anything you caught from sex could be cured with a pill or a shot.  Now sex can kill you or the disease can stay with you for life.  All girls had natural tits.  The fake ones of today look like someone put a plastic bag under the skin.  I will take real ones any day.  Moms stayed home and dads went to work.  In college many girls wore dresses or jeans with heels.  They had their hair done up.  Ever go to a college campus today?  Many of the girls are wearing dirty shoes, dirty jeans and some garbage tee shirt.  There hair looks like crap. 

POST OF THE DAY!!!!!

epic_alien

« Reply #24 on: December 02, 2010, 03:32:23 PM »
"On a side note how can anyone talk about their past.  It means nothing to the present "

please tell me you were being sarcastic keith