Author Topic: TOUGH TIMES TO BE SELLING FLEX  (Read 25015 times)

Crusher

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
TOUGH TIMES TO BE SELLING FLEX
« on: July 19, 2006, 11:02:30 AM »
This is for all you delusional Flex guys who think your rag is thriving.

According to ABC (Audit Bureau of Circulation)  Year end numbers for Flex magazine show a total circulation decline of 9.6%.  This is represents  a 7.3% drop in news stand sales and a 13.4% drop in subscriptions. 

To make matters worse, I have it from a reliable source in the magazine distribution biz (my uncle) that the word on the street is that the numbers due out in August - which will reflect first quarter 06 circulation - will show a 15% drop in news stand sales.

The asking price for the combo of M&F and Flex is reportedly $200 Million, with Flex representing 40 - 50 mill.  That equates to about 13 times gross.  Even for a thriving company 13 times gross is hard to get.  You sell a company when it is doing well, not in the toilet. 

I hope whoever is interested in buying these mags does more due diligence than just having their accountant look over the books.  A fair price for Flex in its current state would be 7 -8 million, at best.  Hopfully, someone with the kind of heart Joe Weider had will step up and buy these mags for what they are really worth and do what it takes to bring back the dignity Pecker destroyed.

BroadStreetBruiser

• Getbig V
  • "In Falcon We Trust"
Re: TOUGH TIMES TO BE SELLING FLEX
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2006, 11:03:28 AM »
hhahaha okay "crusher" hahahaha
$

ribonucleic

• Getbig V
  • I bring you ultimate reality!
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2006, 11:04:35 AM »
do what it takes to bring back the dignity Pecker destroyed.

Yeah, run "Musclehedz" in a big size again. Shrinking it like that took away our dignity.

alexxx

• Getbig V
  • Don't hate..
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2006, 11:07:27 AM »
The only way it would be dignified would be to have it read like the old physical culture and strength magazines of the past.

Nobody gives a f**k how Phil Heath trains because it is all steroids anyway.  People are sick of it and don`t care to read it.

Do you have a copie of the old mags? There is 99% advertisement. Thats even worse than now! But I agree people want believable champions on the cover like myself.

YOU HEAR SHAWN PERINE AND PETER MCGOUGH!! YOU WANT TO SAVE YOUR BELOVED MAG GET ME ON THE COVER WITH A COUPLE OF NAKED CHICKSS!!
just push some weight!

timfogarty

• Getbig V
  • @fogartyTim on twitter
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2006, 11:09:27 AM »
All physique magazines will need to adapt to the internet age or will disappear.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2006, 11:10:43 AM »
Nobody gives a f**k how Phil Heath trains because it is all steroids anyway.  People are sick of it and don`t care to read it.

you got that right.  I saw a female pro BB in my gym yesterday.  offseason, mind you.  doing some monster 30 pound DB military presses for 6 reps. brutal bacne too.

ribonucleic

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2006, 11:12:36 AM »
Nobody gives a f**k how Phil Heath trains because it is all steroids anyway.

Well, that and Met-RX's line of nutritional supplements. 

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
  • Fear is proof of a degenerate mind.
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2006, 11:12:50 AM »
All physique magazines will need to adapt to the internet age or will disappear.

Without the internet and guys such as myself and 240 or Bust. these delusional people would run amok with their lies.  The internet keeps this whole thing real and in perspective.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2006, 11:14:49 AM »
Without the internet and guys such as myself and 240 or Bust. these delusional people would run amok with their lies.  The internet keeps this whole thing real and in perspective.

LOL... imagine the Bob Chic puff pieces we'd read in FLEX... claiming all these victories over PDI tyranny lol...

littleguns

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2006, 11:15:14 AM »
Back in the day all I would read/buy is Flex,

Muscular Development has gotten soo much better!

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2006, 11:17:55 AM »
LOL... imagine the Bob Chic puff pieces we'd read in FLEX... claiming all these victories over PDI tyranny lol...

hahahahah sued.

Mars

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2006, 11:18:17 AM »
The only way it would be dignified would be to have it read like the old physical culture and strength magazines of the past.

Nobody gives a f**k how Phil Heath trains because it is all steroids anyway.  People are sick of it and don`t care to read it.

So true. they always make it look like they have studied years to know how to stimulate muscle growth.. all genetics. easy as that. and with drugs they are "champions".

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2006, 11:30:26 AM »
Flex need some of those razor sharp images of Adonis deadlifting! And that nude photo as a pullout-poster.
That would bring sales up.
Z

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2006, 11:33:17 AM »
Flex need some of those razor sharp images of Adonis deadlifting! And that nude photo as a pullout-poster.
That would bring sales up.

Yes!

timfogarty

• Getbig V
  • @fogartyTim on twitter
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2006, 11:50:51 AM »
haha, COLT probably gets more subscriptions than Flex. 

I think a bodybuilding mag in the same format as Colt would do well:  heavy paper, 60-80 pages, stapled, 90% full page photos, no ads or perhaps only a few pages in the middle, even an insert easily removed, $15 an issue, quarterly.   The emphasis would be on photo journalism:  contest coverage, up and coming athletes, as well as established ones.

LurkyLurker

• Getbig III
  • Advices
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2006, 11:56:43 AM »
Thanks for the 411 John.

BTW- Loved the cooking show!

I ETA PI

• Getbig III
  • TAPPA KEGGA BREW!
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2006, 11:58:16 AM »

Yes, thank you for the enlightenmen, you bastion of truth.

impavid delusions of grandeur

Rambone

• Getbig V
  • “Billy’s taking Art? What the hell for?”
« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2006, 11:58:28 AM »
I think a bodybuilding mag in the same format as Colt would do well:  heavy paper, 60-80 pages, stapled, 90% full page photos, no ads or perhaps only a few pages in the middle, even an insert easily removed, $15 an issue, quarterly.   The emphasis would be on photo journalism:  contest coverage, up and coming athletes, as well as established ones.
With each issue having a life-size poster of Tom Prince

G o a t b o y

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Time-Out in Dubai, India with Swampi the Cocksmith
« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2006, 12:03:56 PM »
With each issue having a life-size poster of Tom Prince

"FLEX magazine almost died for you bittches!"  >:(
Ron: "I am lazy."

HUGEPECS

• Getbig V
  • School of Hard knocks Gym
« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2006, 12:10:57 PM »
"FLEX magazine almost died for you bittches!"  >:(

Flex was selling for a reasonable price, but they jack the price back up. I still read that shit anyway
Get Big, or Die Trying

IceCold

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2006, 12:18:34 PM »
as i gift i've got a 5 year sub. to FLEX.  as soon as pecker took over, the mag kinda sucked.  all they did was have arnold features,  like 2 training features, no new great research reports, etc.

but over the past year or so, its gotten much better.  particularily, the part when a writer goes to a gym and records the actual workout and compiling a compilation of the best bodyparts etc.  no other mag does that. 

the pics are the best, but they could probably do away with the team FLEX bs and post some scientific stuff.  but overall, i think they are doing a good job. 

MD is good, but it has so much useless shit in there.  Besides, who ever said you can ONLY have/read 1 bbing mag?
R.I.P. DIMEBAG DARRELL ABBOTT (1966-2004)

mwbbuilder

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2006, 12:19:26 PM »
All magazine subscriptions are down. It's the age of the internet. It has nothing to do with Flex, Pecker, Muscular Development competition, layout, or steroids.

Sports Illustrated, Time, Newsweek, ect...all way down.

The only way your magazine is up is if it was yet published 5 years ago.

End of story.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2006, 12:20:57 PM »
hahahaha remember being 18 years old and attempting to casually buy a copy of Playboy.  Those days are gone. all you need now is google.

ribonucleic

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: July 19, 2006, 12:45:27 PM »
hahahaha remember being 18 years old and attempting to casually buy a copy of Playboy.  Those days are gone. all you need now is google.

I hear you, brother.

If they'd had the Internet in the early 80s, I would never have left the house.

Crusher

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #24 on: July 19, 2006, 01:31:26 PM »
Thanks for the 411 John.

BTW- Loved the cooking show!

Grow up Shari.....