Author Topic: Tricep atrophy in older lifters  (Read 12396 times)

Omega

• Getbig III
Re: Tricep atrophy in older lifters
« Reply #25 on: November 05, 2014, 03:31:23 PM »
Hasnt this been attributed directly to HGH use?

jude2

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #26 on: November 05, 2014, 09:06:03 PM »
Hasnt this been attributed directly to HGH use?
Not at all. It is the same for most older people.  As we age we stop doing things overhead, either from bad shoulders or just don't have to lift anything over our heads anymore as we age.  It is mainly the long head of the triceps that atrophies.  So don't stop doing over head triceps presses. I noticed mine getting smaller from just doing close grip and a lot of different push downs.  Started back on the overhead triceps extensions and they have improved. Don't go the easy route.

Danimal77

• Getbig V
  • Yo Adrian
« Reply #27 on: November 05, 2014, 09:26:09 PM »
TEAM TRICEPS!

That bacne is out of control  :-X

Slik

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #28 on: November 05, 2014, 10:00:01 PM »
I gotta go with tommy on this one. Lack of overhead raising or lack of lifting your arms overhead as we age I think has very little to do with why the tricep atrophies. What the op is referring to I believe is not that the tricep is just a smaller 100 percent intact version of the previous larger sized tricep but rather a distortion of the muscle in which it appears that the muscle bellies have shortend. Often times the older lifter still has A fair amount of bulk at the top of the tricep however the gap between the elbow and where the tricep begins is much larger than when the lifter was younger.  The tricep is largely innervated by the radial nerve. The radio nerve originates from C-5 C6 C8 and T1 vertebrae. I believe its the T1 area that is mostly the culprit. Where lifter place the heavy bar on their back while squatting. I think T1 is the culprit for a few reasons number one, The biceps shares its nerve innervation was C5 and C6. If it were this area being damaged we're shutting off nerve supply we would see just as many or people was shortened biceps which just isn't the case short and tricep is much more common. Secondly as we age we tend to get a forward head carriage which puts tremendous pressure at the cervicothoracic Junction. Lastly as I stated earlier T1 take a lot of abuse as we put literally hundreds of pounds sometimes resting on that spinous. When that area breaks down over time it put pressure on a branch of the radial nerve which leads to slow death of the tricep.

Just one mans theory.

Blame Siri for f'd up speak to text n I'm too lazy to fix it

Stan Diego

• Getbig III
  • A whales vagina
« Reply #29 on: November 05, 2014, 10:21:27 PM »

Cableguy

• Getbig IV
  • Cableguy no longer...
« Reply #30 on: November 05, 2014, 10:51:48 PM »
I gotta go with tommy on this one. Lack of overhead raising or lack of lifting your arms overhead as we age I think has very little to do with why the tricep atrophies. What the op is referring to I believe is not that the tricep is just a smaller 100 percent intact version of the previous larger sized tricep but rather a distortion of the muscle in which it appears that the muscle bellies have shortend. Often times the older lifter still has A fair amount of bulk at the top of the tricep however the gap between the elbow and where the tricep begins is much larger than when the lifter was younger.  The tricep is largely innervated by the radial nerve. The radio nerve originates from C-5 C6 C8 and T1 vertebrae. I believe its the T1 area that is mostly the culprit. Where lifter place the heavy bar on their back while squatting. I think T1 is the culprit for a few reasons number one, The biceps shares its nerve innervation was C5 and C6. If it were this area being damaged we're shutting off nerve supply we would see just as many or people was shortened biceps which just isn't the case short and tricep is much more common. Secondly as we age we tend to get a forward head carriage which puts tremendous pressure at the cervicothoracic Junction. Lastly as I stated earlier T1 take a lot of abuse as we put literally hundreds of pounds sometimes resting on that spinous. When that area breaks down over time it put pressure on a branch of the radial nerve which leads to slow death of the tricep.

Just one mans theory.

Blame Siri for f'd up speak to text n I'm too lazy to fix it

Interesting theory. I've wondered why mine have shortened since I've never torn anything. I wonder if the process can be reversed, if even just a little. I'm guessing not.

visualizeperfection

• Getbig V
  • Getbig sponsored athlete.
« Reply #31 on: November 05, 2014, 10:54:34 PM »
I hear upright rows for reps (10-12) with slow negatives help.

tommywishbone

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Biscuit
« Reply #32 on: November 05, 2014, 11:26:06 PM »
Interesting theory. I've wondered why mine have shortened since I've never torn anything. I wonder if the process can be reversed, if even just a little. I'm guessing not.

Exactly right.  There is no "tearing" there is no recognisable trauma in most cases. Years of heavy continuous weight training will cause cervical disc degeneration and that's what causes the condition.  

Reverting the process?  You raise a very important point.
a

anabolichalo

• Getbig V
  • my love for ronnie will never die
« Reply #33 on: November 05, 2014, 11:34:39 PM »
Brutal acne. Brutal
That bacne is out of control  :-X

i guess that makes you feel better about your inferior triceps

C-BuZz

• Getbig IV
« Reply #34 on: November 05, 2014, 11:46:04 PM »
TEAM TRICEPS ACNE!

I agree man, that's terribad.

D.O.A.

• Getbig IV
  • Revenge is a dish best served ice cold
« Reply #35 on: November 06, 2014, 03:30:33 AM »

gracie bjj

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #36 on: November 06, 2014, 03:59:53 AM »
my tris r about the same i guess,they where never really great anyway though
R

XFACTOR

• Getbig V
« Reply #37 on: November 06, 2014, 04:46:26 AM »
I know what you mean.

I'll be 51 next june

hahahha I have to give you credit man, which takes a lot for me to do. 51!!!! Just unbelievable.

You do any cardio or sports? 

gracie bjj

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #38 on: November 06, 2014, 05:07:53 AM »
hahahha I have to give you credit man, which takes a lot for me to do. 51!!!! Just unbelievable.

yea gigantic looks awesome for 51,great shape
R

XFACTOR

• Getbig V
« Reply #39 on: November 06, 2014, 05:23:28 AM »
TEAM TRICEPS!

Ok man enough with the vomit inducing photos.  We got it, you have some muscle. I can't have that acne popping up on my screen like that.

Slik

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #40 on: November 06, 2014, 09:24:49 AM »
this process can be slowed.  most getbiggers r chiro haters but i don't give a shit.  Search the thread where I posted a lot of great stuff about it.  This is not a chiro commercial so I am just answering your question. I also dont have the time to argue about it check the old thread for that please.

1.  Find a good chiro n see them once a month whether you have pain or not.  Disc and spinal degeneration causes no symptoms unitl it becomes very advanced.  Getting adjusted on a regular basis can slow down spinal degeneration.   IMO find a doc who still does old school chiropractic and their main thing is adjusting you.  Should be relatively cheap.  35-50 bux in most parts of the country.

2.  If u sleep on your back never ever use a traditional pillow that that juts your head up chin to chest. Its the way we are taught but it is wrong and puts a lot of pressure on this t1 area.  Simply get a bath towel, fold it in half so it is half its width but its length is still just as long.  Then roll it up like a sleeping bag then sleep with this under your neck.  It opens the airway and restores the natural curve at night.

3.  Lastly I use this nealry on a daily basis.  Its pretty inexpensive. Im sure you getbiggers could build this yourself but I buy them.  its patented too n no thats not me who sells them.  Just trying to share some knowledge.

http://pettibonsystem.com/product/cervical-traction-regular

tommywishbone

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Biscuit
« Reply #41 on: November 06, 2014, 09:36:38 AM »
 :D  I have owned and used that exact device.  Mixed to no results unfortunately but the prior damage was too extreme. 
a

Slik

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #42 on: November 06, 2014, 09:48:32 AM »
:D  I have owned and used that exact device.  Mixed to no results unfortunately but the prior damage was too extreme. 
Honestly im not exactley sure either but the theory is good. it tractions the neck which teeters miss. I use it about daily for prevention.

no one

• Getbig V
  • have i hurt your feelings?
« Reply #43 on: November 06, 2014, 10:00:23 AM »

right? guys a inspiration. both he and simon.

im a little less than a decade behind groink and i'll tell you buddy it ALL changes at 40. people used to tell me this. im like nah im a stud, im going to be a stud till im 50 blah blah blah.

i was ok going into 41. i could half ass my diet, and half ass my training and still look decent. then at 41-42 everything started to change. food impacts you more. your energy drops slightly. ive always had good joints so aches and pains arent an issue, apart from needing to rehab my knees/ it bands last winter after playing ball but that was a not stretching problem affecting my jolints, not wonky joints themselves. but the cosmetic end of this- which is why we do it really- takes a shit ton more work.

ah, you'll find out soon enough :D
b

Deadlifted

• Getbig II
« Reply #44 on: November 06, 2014, 10:11:22 AM »
yea gigantic looks awesome for 51,great shape
Looks good for any age imo. Lots of younger guys (including myself) would love to be that size. Clearly the work has been put in.

Cableguy

• Getbig IV
  • Cableguy no longer...
« Reply #45 on: November 06, 2014, 10:24:59 AM »
this process can be slowed.  most getbiggers r chiro haters but i don't give a shit.  Search the thread where I posted a lot of great stuff about it.  This is not a chiro commercial so I am just answering your question. I also dont have the time to argue about it check the old thread for that please.

1.  Find a good chiro n see them once a month whether you have pain or not.  Disc and spinal degeneration causes no symptoms unitl it becomes very advanced.  Getting adjusted on a regular basis can slow down spinal degeneration.   IMO find a doc who still does old school chiropractic and their main thing is adjusting you.  Should be relatively cheap.  35-50 bux in most parts of the country.

2.  If u sleep on your back never ever use a traditional pillow that that juts your head up chin to chest. Its the way we are taught but it is wrong and puts a lot of pressure on this t1 area.  Simply get a bath towel, fold it in half so it is half its width but its length is still just as long.  Then roll it up like a sleeping bag then sleep with this under your neck.  It opens the airway and restores the natural curve at night.

3.  Lastly I use this nealry on a daily basis.  Its pretty inexpensive. Im sure you getbiggers could build this yourself but I buy them.  its patented too n no thats not me who sells them.  Just trying to share some knowledge.

http://pettibonsystem.com/product/cervical-traction-regular

Thanks for the advice. I was getting adjusted as well as deep tissue for my shoulders a couple of years back until I lost my job and benefits. Five bucks for 45 minutes of deep tissue and three bucks to get adjusted. Couldn't beat it! As soon as my finances get back on track, I'll be doing that again.

The deep tissue helped a lot. Now I have to stick to machines for presses mostly to work around the pain, and it sucks that I cant hit it as hard as I'd like. I'm 52 and routinely get mistaken for being in my 30's. I love when I tell people my real age and they say "No way!"...  :) I'm not in Groink's shape though. I wasn't blessed with the best genetics for bodybuilding, but I'll look decent again once I tighten up my diet...

Simple Simon

« Reply #46 on: November 06, 2014, 10:27:04 AM »
Robin William's had one i believe.

Slik

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #47 on: November 06, 2014, 10:47:36 AM »
Thanks for the advice. I was getting adjusted as well as deep tissue for my shoulders a couple of years back until I lost my job and benefits. Five bucks for 45 minutes of deep tissue and three bucks to get adjusted. Couldn't beat it! As soon as my finances get back on track, I'll be doing that again.

The deep tissue helped a lot. Now I have to stick to machines for presses mostly to work around the pain, and it sucks that I cant hit it as hard as I'd like. I'm 52 and routinely get mistaken for being in my 30's. I love when I tell people my real age and they say "No way!"...  :) I'm not in Groink's shape though. I wasn't blessed with the best genetics for bodybuilding, but I'll look decent again once I tighten up my diet...

thanks!  Turned 50 in may. Maybe this board should be called getold.com

Btw where u getting all that for 8 bux? Some kidnapped slave parlor haha? Wow that's cheap

gracie bjj

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #48 on: November 06, 2014, 12:33:54 PM »
WE NEED TO START A 50 AND OVER SECTION SO ALL US OLD GEEZERS CAN KICK IT :D
R

tommywishbone

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Biscuit
« Reply #49 on: November 06, 2014, 02:50:21 PM »
Robin William's had one i believe.

;D  He clearly neglected to read the instructions.
a