Author Topic: Tried Indian food for the first time in my life  (Read 9670 times)

Henda

• Getbig V
Re: Tried Indian food for the first time in my life
« Reply #25 on: October 02, 2016, 11:32:04 AM »
Indian food is fucking liftin, dry meat, shitty fat chips the tandoori mixed grills are good the rest is shite

OB1

• Getbig IV
  • "Happiness equals reality minus expectations."
« Reply #26 on: October 02, 2016, 11:51:34 AM »
Never been to the UK, but everyone I know who has says the food is terrible.

Why is that?

Maybe because it is?
One of my theories is their taste nerves get amputated at birth time...
©

FermiDirac

• Getbig IV
  • That'll do pig, that'll do
« Reply #27 on: October 02, 2016, 11:57:24 AM »

Why is that?

There are few things here in the world that can beat a grilled sandwich along with a pint of ale and some crisps at a British pub. There's a disgustingly good one close to the Southern border of Hyde park (can't remember the name or location): generous amounts grilled chicken, mayonnaise, avocado and bacon on bread toasted over fire. Other than that, I would recommend giving haggis pie a go, a traditional Scottish dish.

The thing is, most countries are connected in such a manner that you can get cuisine from pretty much every corner of the world almost everywhere (at least in EU). You can eat everything from fancy French food in a Guide Michelin star restaurant to a sloppy kebab at the street corner, so you're not constrained in any way. You could live your entire life in the UK without having to eat traditional "British cuisine" even once.

NaturalWonder83

• Getbig V
« Reply #28 on: October 02, 2016, 04:05:08 PM »
Goat vindaloo is horribly spicy
I like the somoas, chicken tikka, and the rice pudding
w

El Diablo Blanco

• Getbig V
  • Nom Nom Nom Nom
« Reply #29 on: October 02, 2016, 04:23:06 PM »
Indian food, as with Chinese and Mexican food, is slop. You have to really wonder what the hell is in it, if it requires that many herbs and spices, to make it taste good.

The spices are there more for protecting you from bacteria. Remember these countries leave meat sitting out all day. They don't have the same refrigeration we have.

OB1

• Getbig IV
« Reply #30 on: October 02, 2016, 04:26:43 PM »
The spices are there more for protecting you from bacteria. Remember these countries leave meat sitting out all day. They don't have the same refrigeration we have.

How are spices able to protect from bacteria?
©

denarii

• Getbig V
« Reply #31 on: October 02, 2016, 04:39:17 PM »
Maybe because it is?
One of my theories is their taste nerves get amputated at birth time...

try pollen street restaurant next time you go then

OB1

• Getbig IV
« Reply #32 on: October 02, 2016, 04:40:48 PM »
try pollen street restaurant next time you go then

Will do.
©

Bindare_Dundat

• Getbig V
  • KILL CENTRAL BANKS, BUY BITCOIN.
« Reply #33 on: October 02, 2016, 05:01:34 PM »
all looks like baby shit to me. I won't eat food from a country where they "brush" their teeth and bath in corpse and shit infested water. 

The Abdominal Snoman

• Getbig V
  • DON'T BE A TRAITOR TO YOUR TRIBE
« Reply #34 on: October 02, 2016, 05:02:49 PM »
Vindaloo isn't really Indian food. It was created by Voodoo Vince G when he was a practicing medicine man in the mountains of Haiti. Hope you never crossed Voodoo Vince. Most that DO, and eat his VindaLOO, have bad bad things happen to them from his VOODOO...

chokeslam

• Getbig II
« Reply #35 on: October 02, 2016, 06:33:13 PM »
Bought a new house a little while ago. Two sets of neighbors moved in. And by that I mean their entire families of 20 people each. They cook Indian everyday.

9am, big blast of garlic from both homes. A half hour later there's a huge amount of onions that get cooked up. Then it's mystery herb time. Sometimes it smells aromatic and tasty, but most of the time it smells obnoxious. Gotta close my windows everyday unless I want my house to stink.

The Abdominal Snoman

• Getbig V
  • DON'T BE A TRAITOR TO YOUR TRIBE
« Reply #36 on: October 02, 2016, 07:26:08 PM »
Bought a new house a little while ago. Two sets of neighbors moved in. And by that I mean their entire families of 20 people each. They cook Indian everyday.

9am, big blast of garlic from both homes. A half hour later there's a huge amount of onions that get cooked up. Then it's mystery herb time. Sometimes it smells aromatic and tasty, but most of the time it smells obnoxious. Gotta close my windows everyday unless I want my house to stink.

That's the fucking worst. Some of the shit those fuckers cook up smells like a meth lab. To think they eat that shit all the time...

phreak

• Getbig V
  • Food is amazing
« Reply #37 on: October 03, 2016, 12:14:26 AM »

Why is that?

Speaking of larger cities (London, Leeds): Brits want to appear metropolitan in their tastes, so you have restaurants catering to all nationalities. However, all those cuisines are adapted to the British palette, so everything is bland and simplistic. Makes financial sense of course.

Sure there are exceptions, but unless you are planning to splurge you will get bland slop.

The Wizard of Truth

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Fallen Angel
« Reply #38 on: October 03, 2016, 07:12:08 AM »
Most Indian restaurants in UK and Ireland are run and cheffed by pakis and bangladeshis. Try a saag, dhansak, Rogan josh or korma. Vindaloo is crazy hot

The Wizard of Truth

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Fallen Angel
« Reply #39 on: October 03, 2016, 07:19:03 AM »
You do realize Indians wipe their ass with their bare hands?
That's a Muslim tradition, most Indians are Christian or Hindu. Pakis and bangladeshis are Muslim. I will state though that I most restaurants closed by the food safety authorities here are 'indians', kebab houses or chinese

Bindare_Dundat

• Getbig V
  • KILL CENTRAL BANKS, BUY BITCOIN.
« Reply #40 on: October 03, 2016, 08:21:06 AM »
That's a Muslim tradition, most Indians are Christian or Hindu. Pakis and bangladeshis are Muslim. I will state though that I most restaurants closed by the food safety authorities here are 'indians', kebab houses or chinese

whatever. India is a shit hole and you can't expect anything but shit to come early out of it.

OB1

• Getbig IV
« Reply #42 on: October 03, 2016, 08:28:38 AM »
^^
Here... http://www.news.cornell.edu/stories/1998/03/food-bacteria-spice-survey-shows-why-some-cultures-it-hot

Interesting...
Didn't knew.
Ok, hot spices it is logical bacteria will have a hard time...
but garlic, onions and such...
©

El Diablo Blanco

• Getbig V
  • Nom Nom Nom Nom
« Reply #43 on: October 03, 2016, 09:41:01 AM »
How are spices able to protect from bacteria?

The hot chili peppers

Food bacteria-spice survey shows why some cultures like it hot

Fans of hot, spicy cuisine can thank nasty bacteria and other foodborne pathogens for the recipes that come -- not so coincidentally -- from countries with hot climates. Humans' use of antimicrobial spices developed in parallel with food-spoilage microorganisms, Cornell University biologists have demonstrated in a international survey of spice use in cooking.

The same chemical compounds that protect the spiciest spice plants from their natural enemies are at work today in foods from parts of the world where -- before refrigeration -- food-spoilage microbes were an even more serious threat to human health and survival than they are today, Jennifer Billing and Paul W. Sherman report in the March 1998 issue of the journal Quarterly Review of Biology.

"The proximate reason for spice use obviously is to enhance food palatability," says Sherman, an evolutionary biologist and professor of neurobiology and behavior at Cornell. "But why do spices taste good? Traits that are beneficial are transmitted both culturally and genetically, and that includes taste receptors in our mouths and our taste for certain flavors. People who enjoyed food with antibacterial spices probably were healthier, especially in hot climates. They lived longer and left more offspring. And they taught their offspring and others: 'This is how to cook a mastodon.' We believe the ultimate reason for using spices is to kill food-borne bacteria and fungi."

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #44 on: October 03, 2016, 12:03:01 PM »
whatever. India is a shit hole and you can't expect anything but shit to come early out of it.

Always struck me as a fascinating culture.  Coolest religions ever.  Shame about the crushing poverty though.  People have told me not to go to India because it's just too depressing.

FermiDirac

• Getbig IV
« Reply #45 on: October 03, 2016, 12:06:35 PM »
Always struck me as a fascinating culture.  Coolest religions ever.  Shame about the crushing poverty though.  People have told me not to go to India because it's just too depressing.

Not an issue in Dubai

SuperTed

• Getbig V
  • Rebirth
« Reply #46 on: October 03, 2016, 12:09:22 PM »

Best place to visit is Kerala. Lush scenery and the people there tend to be the most educated/least poor.

FermiDirac

• Getbig IV
« Reply #47 on: October 06, 2016, 10:17:59 AM »
Vindaloo has a heat measured between 100 000 and 200 000 scoville units. To put it in perspective, tabasco lies in the span 2000-3000 while a jalapeno lies around 30 000 scoville units. Next time I'll try "phall" which is said to pack on even more heat.

local hero

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • mma finance warrior of peace
« Reply #48 on: October 06, 2016, 10:25:13 AM »
Phal makes your eyes water, lip burn etc... Far too hot to get any enjoyment

FermiDirac

• Getbig IV
« Reply #49 on: October 06, 2016, 10:28:19 AM »
Phal makes your eyes water, lip burn etc... Far too hot to get any enjoyment

How does it compare to the vindaloo? Like chugging lava?