Author Topic: The Last Topic on Postworkout Nutrition  (Read 5102 times)

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Re: The Last Topic on Postworkout Nutrition
« Reply #25 on: August 02, 2008, 01:01:47 PM »
How about a big juicy steak and Sweet potatoe..............End of story :)

Because it takes 15-20 minutes to consume that; whereas, it takes 15-20 seconds to consume that shake.

Besides, why does it have to be "either/or"? I say consume the shake, immediately after the workout. Then, eat the steak and potatoe about 45-60 minutes later.

;D

QuakerOats

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • bring amberlamps!!!
« Reply #26 on: August 02, 2008, 01:06:46 PM »
i like using a BCAA powder and creatine with some carbs PWO and then eat a solid meal 30 minutes after that.

Go 4 It

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • "The World Meets Nobody Half Way"
« Reply #27 on: August 02, 2008, 01:09:39 PM »
I been lifting seriously for a few years now, never really got into the nutritional side, just made sure to eat atleast six times a day, eat a ton of protein, and tapper off the carbs at night. Since I started incorporating some basic meal timing strategies (pre/post workout nutrition), I've seen a great deal of improvement. Just my two cents.

candidizzle

• Getbig V
  • Trueprotein.com 5% discount code= TRB953
« Reply #28 on: August 02, 2008, 01:12:49 PM »
I been lifting seriously for a few years now, never really got into the nutritional side, just made sure to eat atleast six times a day, eat a ton of protein, and tapper off the carbs at night. Since I started incorporating some basic meal timing strategies (pre/post workout nutrition), I've seen a great deal of improvement. Just my two cents.
:)  most people do.  its very important to get all you can out of pre/post workout.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #29 on: August 02, 2008, 01:17:26 PM »
I ate chicken and brown rice post-workout for over a year and got great results...........better than my previos shakes with dextrose and creatine monohydrate.

Post-workout shakes are mostly hype by the magazines.

Arnold, and tons of other greats just pounded food after training and they looked incredible.

The more shakes you drink,the more whey you buy,the more money the companies make.

I use whey for conveinience only,but food is just as good and better most of the time,including after training.

I`ve been training a long time and this is from real world experience,not from reading a magazine.

Experiment with it for yourself and see the good results you`ll obtain.

Todays "scientific" shit is still shit.

Keep it simple,it`s not brain surgery.

No, it's not! But, I don't see why some folks are trying to make it a case of "food vs. supplements". If you have both, why not use both?

The post-workout shake thing isn't new. I've read about that, since the mid-90s, particularly in an article from IronMan by George Turner. "The 7 Secrets of Building Mass" (or something to that effect). With regards to shakes, he simply recommended you take one within 45 minutes after training. Back in the day, I'd simply have weight-gain shake (the third of the day, for me) after showering and hitting the pool, which took about 30 minutes.

It's funny that the "anabolic window" seems to be getting smaller by the years. First, it was within 45 minutes after training; then, it was a half-hour; then, it became 10-15 minutes. Now, people want you to suck down a shake the second you rack the weight on your final exercise.

And, the shakes are more "high-tech". Again, I just took another weight-gain shake (because it was all I could afford), which had milk and egg protein, some maltodextrin and simple sugar.

Now, it's cross-flow, ion-exchanged, smack-it-up-flip-it-rub-down whey isolate protein, waxy maize starch, creatine, BCAAs, beta-alanine, arginine, the butcher, the baker, and the candlestick maker.

Don't get me wrong. I use this stuff, too (when GNC or Vitamin Shoppe marks the prices WAAAAAY down for clearance  ;D ). But, don't get too wrapped around the axle about this stuff. Whey isolate is great; but if all you got is milk and egg or even soy, then gulp that down after you finish training. Waxy Maize is the lastest carb craze. But, if funds don't permit, good old-fashioned dextrose (or even sucrose) will still get the job done.

It ain't "old school vs. new school". Drink a shake immediately after training; have a solid meal about 45 minutes later. And, let the growing begin!!!

QuakerOats

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • bring amberlamps!!!
« Reply #30 on: August 02, 2008, 01:18:14 PM »
gotta say that Candy is almost always right on the money about his nutrition advice, you may not like the attitude but when he talks about needing  ALOT OF protein, the importance of good PWO nutrition, healthy fat intake, etc. he's right on the money, people eat WAY to small protein portion sizes, this 4-5 oz. bullshit is for 11 year old girls.

candidizzle

• Getbig V
« Reply #31 on: August 02, 2008, 02:37:45 PM »
gotta say that Candy is almost always right on the money about his nutrition advice, you may not like the attitude but when he talks about needing  ALOT OF protein, the importance of good PWO nutrition, healthy fat intake, etc. he's right on the money, people eat WAY to small protein portion sizes, this 4-5 oz. bullshit is for 11 year old girls.
thank you.  even if people don't think protein is necessary, calories and food intake are. and the best way to get calories witout getting fat is by eating more protein.

for flexington...

you know what i think is good workout nutrition..

here

this is what i did today, 

drink two scoop's of 80% whey isolate/20% leucine mixed with skim milk and saigon cinnamon

trained chest

came home, and ate a big bowl of frosted flakes with three scoops of that same whey/leucine with cinnamon and skim milk. had vegetable capsules with that bowl.    as i ate that bowl of Post workout nutrition, i started to Cook about 12 ounces ground beef. i combined the beef, once cooked, with one whole can black beans. i mixed in some salsa, some onions, and some garlic. by the time i as done eating my cereal/whey, my homemade chili type meal was ready. and i went straight into eating that.

that, my friend, is how you eat.

QuakerOats

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • bring amberlamps!!!
« Reply #32 on: August 02, 2008, 03:55:00 PM »
that shit sounds tasty. :P

QuakerOats

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • bring amberlamps!!!
« Reply #33 on: August 02, 2008, 04:08:02 PM »
12 oz. should be the minimum portion of meat you should be eating if you're serious.

Bobby

• Getbig V
  • is da lordes plan
« Reply #34 on: August 03, 2008, 08:01:43 AM »

trained chest

came home, and ate a big bowl of frosted flakes with three scoops of that same whey/leucine with cinnamon and skim milk. had vegetable capsules with that bowl.    as i ate that bowl of Post workout nutrition, i started to Cook about 12 ounces ground beef. i combined the beef, once cooked, with one whole can black beans. i mixed in some salsa, some onions, and some garlic. by the time i as done eating my cereal/whey, my homemade chili type meal was ready. and i went straight into eating that.

Frosted flakes? :D

brutal GI ...might as well have dextrose >:(

:D
tank u jesus

QuakerOats

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • bring amberlamps!!!
« Reply #35 on: August 03, 2008, 08:21:39 AM »
Frosted flakes? :D

brutal GI ...might as well have dextrose >:(

:D
that's the point, it was post workout.

Bobby

• Getbig V
  • is da lordes plan
« Reply #36 on: August 03, 2008, 10:02:56 AM »
that's the point, it was post workout.

he said earlier that he didn't 'believe' in dextrose pwo and only had whey...yet here he has almost the same thing as dextrose...
But it's the wrong sugar, it's sucrose/fructose, What is needed is glucose and that is was dextrose is

You can't go halfway here! it's either or, pick a side >:( ;D

Dex+whey or NO pwo shake at all...

without carbs in the shake there will not be enough insulin response to take the protein into the muscles

Pretty good read: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=231345
tank u jesus

candidizzle

• Getbig V
« Reply #37 on: August 03, 2008, 10:11:14 AM »
he said earlier that he didn't 'believe' in dextrose pwo and only had whey...yet here he has almost the same thing as dextrose...
But it's the wrong sugar, it's sucrose/fructose, What is needed is glucose and that is was dextrose is

You can't go halfway here! it's either or, pick a side >:( ;D

Dex+whey or NO pwo shake at all...

without carbs in the shake there will not be enough insulin response to take the protein into the muscles

Pretty good read: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=231345
   no thats wrong. insulin is counter balanced by igf-1. when one is low the other is inversly high. you will always absorb your food.

GetBigOrDieTrying

• Getbig II
« Reply #38 on: August 03, 2008, 10:59:07 AM »
I drink Vitargo and whey after a workout and then a big solid about 45 min later.

Im  trying to get lean its just whey post work out followed by a solid with veggies. The solid meal can consist of any source of protein. I just drink the whey to buy me some time until I get the solid in.

I think there is a lot of hype about this window. You build and repair muscle for much longer than just and hour after your work out. Other wise we would just consume all our protein post work out?

I was lucky enough to train with a Pro. He dismissed all my beliefs in what should be done. I was so anal about my post work out shake. After our work out , I drank mine , he said " Man I need some food" We went to a restaurant and he had a potato , 300g fillet steak , and 500ml orange juice with some slin  ;D No whey. He did drink whey and use vitargo but it was later in the day after that solid meal. More of a convince thing to get the calories in. I eat as much solid food as possible. Supplements are exactly that , they supplement a well constructed diet not make up for a shit one.

Im with MCWAY I say combine both its not either or... Why choose one when you can use both?

candidizzle

• Getbig V
« Reply #39 on: August 03, 2008, 11:01:12 AM »
i like both as well. i get my fast digesting nutrients and then my whole food at the same time however. take my whey AND  eat some meat. by the time the meat is entrering the blood stream they whey is probably all used up.

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
« Reply #40 on: August 03, 2008, 11:40:00 AM »
Some people after worrying so much about their post-workout meal,eat like total shit the rest of the day.

Instead of obsessing over this one meal,they should try to eat perfectly for their needs at all meals..........I bet most don`t.

flexingtonsteele

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • The new age pussy Punisher!
« Reply #41 on: August 03, 2008, 11:51:33 AM »
Some people after worrying so much about their post-workout meal,eat like total shit the rest of the day.

Instead of obsessing over this one meal,they should try to eat perfectly for their needs at all meals..........I bet most don`t.

very true. most people go and slam a shake right after there workout and think there going to get big. But the mcgriddle they had for breakfast and the pizza they are going to devour for dinner doesnt help out too much!

candidizzle

• Getbig V
« Reply #42 on: August 03, 2008, 03:02:11 PM »
yes, i know some kids who buy  no explode and nitro tech and cell tech (no im not kidding) and they use these every workout, but the rest of their daily intake is all taco bell and carls jr.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #43 on: August 03, 2008, 03:12:07 PM »
yes, i know some kids who buy  no explode and nitro tech and cell tech (no im not kidding) and they use these every workout, but the rest of their daily intake is all taco bell and carls jr.

In Florida, "Carl's Jr." is known as "Hardee's". But, your point is well made. CELL-TECH, NITRO-TECH, and N.O.-XPLODE won't help you, if the rest of your diet is abysmal. Some people eat like that, only to later claim that "supplements are worthless" and that, when they just started eating real food, they got better results.

In actuality, they ran out of money. So, they had no choice but to go back to the basics and buy high-quality foods. When they get decent results, they claim it was all about eating real food, instead of taking supplements.

Had their diets been on point, AND they were taking supplements like CELL-TECH, NITRO-TECH, and N.O.-XPLODE, business would have really picked up and they would have had even greater gains.

candidizzle

• Getbig V
« Reply #44 on: August 03, 2008, 03:13:16 PM »
In Florida, "Carl's Jr." is known as "Hardee's". But, your point is well made. CELL-TECH, NITRO-TECH, and N.O.-XPLODE won't help you, if your rest of your diet is abysmal. Some people eat like that, only to later claim that "supplements are worthless" and that, when they just started eating real food, they got better results.

In actuality, they ran out of money. So, they had no choice but to go back to the basics and buy high-quality foods. When they get decent results, they claim it was all about eating real food instead of taking supplements.

Had their diets been on point, AND they were taking supplements like CELL-TECH, NITRO-TECH, and N.O.-XPLODE, business would have really picked up and they would have had even greater gains.
yes, good insight !   

the amount of evidence to support proper workout supplementation is staggering.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #45 on: August 03, 2008, 04:41:34 PM »
yes, good insight !   

the amount of evidence to support proper workout supplementation is staggering.

Agreed, both in scientific research and in trial-and-error, real-world experience.

Back in college, my post-workout shake was serving of Mega Mass, 10 oz of powder mixed in water, (the third such shake of the day for me). That contained about 1100 calories: 210 g carbs, 55 grams protein, 3 g fat. The protein in Mega Mass was milk, egg, whey; the carb sources, I believe, were maltodextrin and fructose.

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #46 on: August 03, 2008, 07:41:55 PM »
i just down an ALN maximus shake.. protien blend, malto-d, ets, etc. GOOD STUFF! I'm curious about WM though. Seems some people love it and others don't see much of a difference. Either way.. eat after a workout and you'll be fine.  ;D

No Patience

• Getbig IV
  • adaptation is the creator of evolution
« Reply #47 on: August 04, 2008, 07:06:42 AM »
I think the PWO shake is the most over exxaggerated myth in bodybuilding. Its making things too complicated. There is nothing better than whole food PERIOD.  And out of all the protein sources, id rather have a nice big juicy steak, and there arent too many carb sources better than sweet potatoes. Therefore id choose sweet taters and a juicy steak cooked medium rare post workout!

I dont need no studies or nothing, im going off real life experience, and most guys i talk to that look good dont drink shakes after there workouts, they EAT FOOD! Same with myself, ive been doing that for the past six months or so and the results speak for themselves.

you are right, there is absolutely no substitute for real food.....basically the more natural the better, and quick digesting liquids is not a natural way of ingesting calories

although i do it out of convenience, i agree with you

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #48 on: August 05, 2008, 09:00:51 AM »
I think the PWO shake is the most over exxaggerated myth in bodybuilding. Its making things too complicated. There is nothing better than whole food PERIOD.  And out of all the protein sources, id rather have a nice big juicy steak, and there arent too many carb sources better than sweet potatoes. Therefore id choose sweet taters and a juicy steak cooked medium rare post workout!

I dont need no studies or nothing, im going off real life experience, and most guys i talk to that look good dont drink shakes after there workouts, they EAT FOOD! Same with myself, ive been doing that for the past six months or so and the results speak for themselves.

Too complicated? What's complicated about having a shake immediately after a workout and eating a meal about 30 - 45 minutes later?

Once I'm finished training, I hit the locker room, grab my bag, and make a shake. And, it takes me all of a few seconds to consume it. Then, I drive home and get something to eat (either what my wife has cooked or some chicken/beef and rice/potatoes/veggies, if I beat her home).

you are right, there is absolutely no substitute for real food.....basically the more natural the better, and quick digesting liquids is not a natural way of ingesting calories

although i do it out of convenience, i agree with you

Nobody's talking about substituting real food. It's about utilizing BOTH shakes and food.

strength

« Reply #49 on: August 13, 2008, 06:20:05 PM »
i have to disagree, if your eating good solid food all day long, like a good bodybuilder is supposed to be, your going to have a constant trickle of aminos in your bloodstream all day long. So even if u do eat a steak which is a slow digesting protein, u have all of those other aminos in your bloodstream that you have already eaten during the day.

I honestly think people try to make this muscle building thing too complicated.

Heres an easy formula.......eat a lot of good solid food, train hard, sleep well, drink lots of water, take your fish oils, and enjoy life. If you do that you'll put on muscle like no other. Ive seen far too many guys at the gym finish there last set of curls then go pound a protein shake immediately pwo. Yet they have been the same size for the past 2 years. Then ive seen guys who make my head spin when i see them, go down the street to the local mexican restaurant after a workout, get a carne asada plate with rice and beans, and they are fucking hyooge. Coincidence I THINK NOT! 

Just food for thought candi! :)

true'r words were never spoken my friend.  A lot of us have full time jobs, kids, a wife, basically RESPONSABILITIES other than our PWO shake.  Most of us do not compete.  I don't know how these guys have time to weigh out there foods, measure their intake of carbs and protien to the exact mg.  I have to get up at 5:30 am just to have time to train, after work is wife/kids/dinner.  I am lucky, i am a desk jockey so i can bring my tuna/chicken to work, but i think a lot of guys on here are full of crap, because if everone on here was as strict as they claim then we'd have 10,000 members @ 7 % all year round.