Author Topic: Haider's Training Journal  (Read 166218 times)

Mike

• Getbig IV
Re: Haider's Training Journal
« Reply #75 on: February 14, 2007, 03:04:37 PM »
Depends on how high the box.

But basically, it will help you work on the sticking points.

And high box squats works as a partial lift, where you'll be able to use a higher load.

-Hedge

Helps with explosiveness, kinda gives you a definitive end to the movement before beginning the ascent.  I use them with clients who don't go low enough or have trouble keeping their knees from traveling forward.

haider

• Getbig V
  • Team Batman Squats
« Reply #76 on: February 15, 2007, 08:03:40 PM »
Thursday, Feb 15
Upper RE:
Speed Flat Bench:
Multiple sets with 105-115
Clean and Presses: 
70 x 5
100 x 5
130 x 5
Standing Military Press (first rep cleaned into position):
100 x 12 (wide-grip, weight lowered to a paused position on shoulders)
1-arm A-Trainer Flies (no rest): (Single pulley)
#1 x 5
#1 x 5
#1 x 5
#1 x 4... no improvement
Hammer-grip Pulldowns (2:00):
#11.5 x 8
#11.5 x 8
#12 x 8
Cybex Incline Chest Press (1:30):
150 x 10 (close-grip)
150 x 10 (wide grip)
Reverse-grip Pendaly Rows :
135 x 12
130 x 12
Close-Grip Incline Bench <alternating with> BB Curls (back resting on wall) :   
115 x 8 <alt. w/> -------
115 x 8 <alt. w/> 65 x 8
120 x 8 <alt. w/> 65 x 8
120 x 8 <alt. w/> 65 x 10   WTF  ???
Decline Pullovers (with EZ-curl bar):
70 x 20 -no rest- 75 x 8

Awesome workout, very smooth and no feeling of tiredness at all. One of the better upper workouts I've had in a while. Walked out of the gym feeling pumped and energetic. Those clean and presses take a lot out of you! Most tiring exercise in my training regimen by FAR... and this is with 5 reps alone. I will switch over to Db presses once I get the 135 x 5 goal.
follow the arrows

haider

• Getbig V
  • Team Batman Squats
« Reply #77 on: February 15, 2007, 08:09:50 PM »
Helps with explosiveness, kinda gives you a definitive end to the movement before beginning the ascent.  I use them with clients who don't go low enough or have trouble keeping their knees from traveling forward.
Depends on how high the box.

But basically, it will help you work on the sticking points.

And high box squats works as a partial lift, where you'll be able to use a higher load.

-Hedge
Your input is truly appreciatted guys  8)  :) You guys are both right. I know the west siders use these all year long and save the free weight squatting for competition only. I use it more as an exercise to add to my Squat rotation than to use the benefits you guys mention. I'm sure I'll reap the benefits though, especially the explosiveness coming out of the hole... this is a weakness of mine that I would like to be corrected.
follow the arrows

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #78 on: February 16, 2007, 08:31:46 AM »
Not sure if were talking touch-and-go box squats or dead stop box squats. Both versions can give explosive starting power from any position and better form. Excellent for muscle mass. I would prefer (personal selection for me anyway) the  dead stop version for that explosive start. Can also do these in a power rack (setting the pins at the correct position level...if your after total full range strength, than 3 pin positions are usually used). If you don't care to sit fully down with a huge amount of weight on your back, than you might consider the PR version. Front squats work extremely well with any version of this movement. As do BB Hack squats, a favorite exercise of mine. Good Luck.
F

Cap

• Getbig V
  • Trueprotein.com 5% discount code= CSP111
« Reply #79 on: February 16, 2007, 08:38:35 AM »
Not sure if were talking touch-and-go box squats or dead stop box squats. Both versions can give explosive starting power from any position and better form. Excellent for muscle mass. I would prefer (personal selection for me anyway) the  dead stop version for that explosive start. Can also do these in a power rack (setting the pins at the correct position level...if your after total full range strength, than 3 pin positions are usually used). If you don't care to sit fully down with a huge amount of weight on your back, than you might consider the PR version. Front squats work extremely well with any version of this movement. As do BB Hack squats, a favorite exercise of mine. Good Luck.
How are the BB hack squats different from the machine version in terms of strength and development?
Squishy face retard

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #80 on: February 16, 2007, 12:28:48 PM »
Think of BB Hack squats as akin to a reverse DL (both can be a proven mass builder). But taking out the element that the shins and knee's might get in the way of the lift.  Like the DL can for a lot of people. The weight (for the most part) is in line with the body when coming straight up.Do not have to lean forward as in the DL. Hacks can affect the upper back very strongly, as the regular DL can.  If anyone wishes, they can put the heels on a 2" block, BB plates, etc for more fovus on the quads themselves. Good Luck.
F

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #81 on: February 16, 2007, 12:38:10 PM »
How are the BB hack squats different from the machine version in terms of strength and development?

Good example of a well-designed machine doing it better than free weights, just like pullovers. Barbell hacks can be tough on the back and knees & can be uncomfortable. It's also hard to hold significant weight by hand, not to mention all of this taking the concentration off the thighs in ways a machine won't. IMO it doesn't target the thighs as well.

Cap

• Getbig V
  • Trueprotein.com 5% discount code= CSP111
« Reply #82 on: February 16, 2007, 12:46:40 PM »
Good example of a well-designed machine doing it better than free weights, just like pullovers. Barbell hacks can be tough on the back and knees & can be uncomfortable. It's also hard to hold significant weight by hand, not to mention all of this taking the concentration off the thighs in ways a machine won't. IMO it doesn't target the thighs as well.
I've found that the super slow Milos stripping sets work well on the hack squat machine.
Squishy face retard

haider

• Getbig V
  • Team Batman Squats
« Reply #83 on: February 18, 2007, 06:43:11 PM »
Awesome fvcking post JPM, thanks for your input. I'm loving the idea of doing front squats like this. Something I've thought about doing before but was weary of doing so. I'm also thinking if rotating in the BB Hack Squats to replace my deadlifts would be a good idea to give my back a rest. Otherwise I'm thinking platform deadlifts would be a good idear for the extended range of motion to work on the lower part of the deadlift to a greater degree.

I've found that the super slow Milos stripping sets work well on the hack squat machine.
Good idea for hypertrphy day  :o
follow the arrows

haider

• Getbig V
  • Team Batman Squats
« Reply #84 on: February 18, 2007, 06:58:22 PM »
Saturday, Feb 17
Lower RE:
Rack Deadlifts (from kneecap)*:
185 x 5 (double overhand)
250 x 5 (double overhand)
315 x 3 (over-under)
380 x 3 (over-under)
450 x 2 (over-under)... 3rd rep was going up just fine, didn't have the grip strength  :'(
405 x 3
Speed Parallel Box Squats (to a bench):
6 sets w/ 165-175
Parallel Sqts (medium-wide stance):
225 x 8
260 x 8   EAAASSYYYY   8)
205 x 20   Nice
Lying Leg Curls (Cybex):
110 x 10
110 x 10
110 x 8
Weighted Crunches:
BW x 10
BW+25 x 10
BW+35 x 10
BW+40 x 10
1-legged Db Sqts** :
(60lb + 65lb db) x 8
(60lb + 65lb db) x 8

*Deadlifts are completely reset for each rep.
**Different weight dumbells used to add 5 lb to last PR

Overall a smooth but hard workout.. my quads got sore a few min after the 20 repper Squats. Rack Pulls were a disappointment because my grip failed. I have atleast 30 pounds left in me on these, just gotta wait for my grip to catch up. I will attempt this ift next time again to see if my grip catches up any. No more straps for me. The Squats were surprisingly easy, the weights just went up like nothing, so next time I'm gonna use 275 on these. 1-legged Sqts are hard... my ass is so sore now after I did these last night.

Another thing I wanna add is that I have noticed I dont get nearly as tired doing Rack Deadlifts as when I do regular deads.. I almost had to force myself to rest mroe in between sets.
follow the arrows

haider

• Getbig V
  • Team Batman Squats
« Reply #85 on: February 19, 2007, 10:16:28 AM »
I'll revise the above and say that my grip failed because of the incredibly smooth bar. I think on a normal oly bar my grip would have been fine. Will resume with straps until I get ahold of a better bar, but continuing with more rigorous grip training.
follow the arrows

haider

• Getbig V
  • Team Batman Squats
« Reply #86 on: February 20, 2007, 09:22:33 PM »
Tuesday, Feb 20:
Upper ME:
Flat Bench Press:       
95 x 10
135 x 5
175 x 3
205 x 2     WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(
185 x 3 (Paused)
Free-weight T-bar Rows(using 25 lb plates):
140 x 6
130 x 8
110 x 12

Neutral-grip* Low-Incline Db Presses:   (2:00)    
65's x 8
65's x 8
65's x 8

Super-strict Wide-grip Pullups** <supersetted with> Strict Wide-grip Pullups***:   (2:00)
Fuck that shit
BTN Wide-grip Pullups:
BW x 8
BW x 8
1-arm A-trainer Cable Flies:    (Single Pulley)
#1 x 5
#1 x 3.... nothing left in chest
Decline Tricep Ext (w/ a pause):
85 x 12
85 x 12
Incline Db Curls:
35's x 12
35's x 10

* Neutral-grip = Palms facing each other

Enjoyable workout besides the benching; its just not for me. I had a nice arch going too, and the saddest part is my previous best is 205 x 4, hahahahah. AND THAT WAS BEFORE LAST SUMMER STARTED, HAHAHAHA. No progress there at all  :'(

Nice work on everything else. I put the incline a notch down for the db presses and it helped focus on my chest a lot more, nice and wide stretch on the bottom as well. Arms went very well too, pretty mcuh everything today was a PR.
follow the arrows

davie

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #87 on: February 21, 2007, 03:21:40 AM »
Bro is ur shoulder work done on your RE day?

Only 2 sets for each arm muscle, i take it u attacked them each set hard??

davie
It isn't the mountains ah

haider

• Getbig V
  • Team Batman Squats
« Reply #88 on: February 24, 2007, 11:40:44 AM »
Bro is ur shoulder work done on your RE day?

Only 2 sets for each arm muscle, i take it u attacked them each set hard??

davie
yes, I leave heavy shoulder stuff for RE day. On ME day all pressing is chest related, whereas on RE day its almost all shoulders and triceps. No, I didnt attack the arms extra hard, just did higher reps to make up for the lower volume. 2 sets with the back and chest work isnt all that bad I think. Maybe I'll add in some supersets next time though.

Thursday, Feb 22
Lower ME:
Parallel Box Squats w/ a pause (to a bench):   
135 x 5
185 x 5
235 x 3
285 x 1
315 x 3  Hard as shit
255 x 8 
Sumo SLDL's (using 25 lb plates):
305 x 5
315 x 5

255 x 8.... almost fell over backwards on 7th rep ;D
Cybex Leg Press (sled):       (no lockout)
6 plates + 35 x 10 (close stance)
7 plates x 10 (medium-wide stance)
Speed Deadlifts:
5 sets w/ 225
Power Shrugs(deadlifted from the ground)*: (1:00)
265 x 7 (double overhand)
265 x 7 (double overhand)
255 x 6 (double overhand)
280 x 10 (double overhand w/ straps)
Static holds:
315 to almsot failure (over-under)
405 to failure (over-under)
405 to failure (over-under)..... NOT safe for the hands.

*Grip training, reps till grip gives out

Nice way to finish off the squats in this cycle, sumo's were also stronger than last time. Its too hard to do the grip training w/ bare hands though, and I dont think they allow chalk in the gym. Its too hard on my callouses and Im afraid they might rip pretty bad on me, since it has happened to me before with only 245 pounds on the bar before (long time ago). Tell me what you guys think about training with gloves, or any other suggestions. Thanks.
follow the arrows

haider

• Getbig V
  • Team Batman Squats
« Reply #89 on: February 27, 2007, 11:38:19 AM »
shit... didnt realise I havent updated in a couple of days  ;D

Saturday, Feb 24
Upper RE:
Speed Flat Bench:
Multiple sets with 105-115
Clean and Presses: 
75 x 5
105 x 5
135 x 5
Standing Military Press (first rep cleaned into position):
105 x 12 (wide-grip, weight lowered to lower neck)
1-arm A-Trainer Flies (no rest): (Double pulley)
10 x 5
10 x 5
10 x 5... boring
Hammer-grip Pulldowns:
160 x 8
165 x 8
170 x 6... sure there is a PR in there somewhere, different machine than usual.
Gironda Bench Press(to the neck):           (new) 
95 x 10
115 x 10
115 x 10
Reverse-grip Pendaly Rows :
135 x 12
135 x 12
... a bit sloppy at the end
Close-Grip Incline Bench:   
130 x 8
125 x 7
120 x 8
BB Curls (back resting on wall):
75 x 8
75 x 7
70 x 7
Decline Pullovers (with EZ-curl bar):
N/A

This workout was a lot longer than it should have been. I just took my time with every exercise. Easy PR on the clean and presses. Also tried Gironda's version of the bench press, which I thought hit my pecs pretty hard, with a nice stretch at the borrom and good contraction at the top. At the top of the movement u bring the elbows in towards each other by "shrugging" the arms together. This can be felt instantly in the inner chest.
follow the arrows

alexxx

• Getbig V
  • Don't hate..
« Reply #90 on: February 28, 2007, 05:06:46 PM »
Looks much better. Stay with those Gironda bench presses that's how Arnold did them too.
just push some weight!

haider

• Getbig V
  • Team Batman Squats
« Reply #91 on: February 28, 2007, 08:13:09 PM »
Looks much better. Stay with those Gironda bench presses that's how Arnold did them too.
Thanks Alexxx, I'm wondering if I can do a db press substitute for this exercise. That would be ideal for my goals.

Monday, Feb 26
Lower RE:
Rack Deadlifts (from kneecap)*:
185 x 5 (double overhand)
245 x 5 (double overhand)
315 x 3 (over-under)
380 x 3 (over-under)
445 x 3 (double overhand w/ straps)
495 x 3 (double overhand w/ straps).... lower back did round
405 x 0 (over-under)... dead
Speed ATG Squats:
6 sets w/ 165-175 and a quick single with 185
Parallel Sqts (medium-wide stance):
235 x 8
275 x 8   YESSSS
225 x 20    :o
Nautilus kneeling leg curls (unilateral):
90 x 10
90 x 10
90 x 10

Hanging leg raises (till torso is parallel to floor):
2 sets x couple reps each.... LATS WERE PUMPED

One of the toughest workouts I have had in a while. I really pushed myself and didnt hold back one bit with any exercise. Decided to just go for the 5 plates on Rack Pulls and holy shit was it hard... my lower back has been wrecked since then. Never doing that shit again. Only going for lifts that will allow an arched back from now on. PR'ing on squats after that was probably not the smartest thing to do but it sure was badass  ;D These weights would have crushed me a couple of months ago  8) My spotter told me I was going below parallel on those, but oh well... its better than risking not going to parallel. I followed up the workout with some "core" exercises using the the 10 lb balls, pretty fun stuff! Also got my heart rate going for a bit.
follow the arrows

alexxx

• Getbig V
  • Don't hate..
« Reply #92 on: February 28, 2007, 08:26:54 PM »
Thanks Alexxx, I'm wondering if I can do a db press substitute for this exercise. That would be ideal for my goals.

There is no substitute for the bench press. But if you need to even your chest out then by all means go with them.
just push some weight!

haider

• Getbig V
  • Team Batman Squats
« Reply #93 on: March 02, 2007, 01:53:10 PM »
Wednesday, Feb 28:
Upper ME:
Flat Bench Press w/ a pause:    (new)   
95 x 10
115 x 5
135 x 3
165 x 3
190 x 3
Singles: (no rest, complete rest for each rep)
190 x 1
190 x 1
190 x 1... hit failure
Free-weight T-bar Rows(using 25 lb plates):
145 x 5
Neutral-grip* Low-Incline Db Presses:   (2:00)    
70's x 8
70's x 6
65's x 7
BTN Wide-grip Pullups:
BW+5 x 8
BW+10 x 8

BW x 7 (alternating BTN and front)
Decline Tricep Ext (w/ a pause) <alternating with> 1-arm Db Spider Curls  (new):
90 x 12 <alt w/> 25 x 9
90 x 12 <alt w/> 20 x 12
------- <alt w/> 20 x 15 - 20 x 6 - 20 x 5 - 20 x 5
Side laterals: (short rest periods)
15 x 15
15 x 15
15 x 15(palms facing up)- 20 x 5 - 25 x 5 (cheating, regular)

* Neutral-grip = Palms facing each other

Went a little bit lower on the volume, so its a semi-deload. Ive been feeling pretty shitty this week so Im gonna go easier on the volume. Also, out of frustration with bench Im trying new techniques of my own, adding in singles followed by the triples. Also will work upto a semi-heavy single on RE day. For example, on the coming RE day I plan on workig upto one single with 195, which is the weight I plan to use for ME day for my 3rm attempt. The rest of the workout was awesome, chest and tri's were pumped! Lats are still sore from that workout, even with the lower volume.  8)

follow the arrows

haider

• Getbig V
  • Team Batman Squats
« Reply #94 on: March 04, 2007, 01:05:15 PM »
New Lower ME rotation:
ATG Squats

Friday, March 2
Lower ME:
ATG Squats:   
150 x 5
185 x 5
225 x 5
250 x 3
275 x 5... tied old PR, I think.
Rack Good Morning's:
135 x 5
155 x 5
185 x 5
205 x 5
Weighted Situps
BW+50 x 10
BW+45 x 10
Barbell Hack Squats (short rest periods):          (new)
225 x 5
225 x 5
225 x 5
225 x 5
Speed Deadlifts:
6-8 singles with 225-245
Power Shrugs(deadlifted from the ground)*: (1:00)
275 x 8 (over-under grip)
275 x 8 (over-under grip)
275 x 8 (over-under grip)  + 15 breath counts static hold.

*Grip training, reps till grip gives out

Startes the new ME exercise, ATG Sqts, which went smoothly for the most part.... would have liked more speed on the heavy set. Went easy on the workload for the rest of the exercises to let my body chill out for a bit. Fell on my ass on the first rep of BB Hack Squats, LOL. This is a pretty awkward movement, not only is it harder to keep balance but you gotta make sure u move your butt away in a timely manner for the bar to clear... u guessed right, I hit my ass on the way up 3 out of 5 reps every time  ;D Speed deadlifts went rather smoothly today, good speed and very comfortable. The power shrugs will now be done with an over-under grip so I can use more weight. Static holds were added for extra grip training.  :)
follow the arrows

haider

• Getbig V
  • Team Batman Squats
« Reply #95 on: March 05, 2007, 06:32:40 PM »
No workout today, gotta write a paper that's due tomorrow. This is actually good since my schedule's been a mess lately and I need to catch up with school. It also serves as additional recovery time from all the battering from the last cycle. This motivates me to hit the gym even harder, OH YES!  8) Gonna destroy some fvcking weights tomorrow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

MELT F***** DOWN!
follow the arrows

haider

• Getbig V
  • Team Batman Squats
« Reply #96 on: March 06, 2007, 10:39:47 PM »
Tuesday, March 6
Upper RE:
Speed Flat Bench:
105 x 3
105 x 2
105 x 2
115 x 2
115 x 2
115 x 2.. good speed on these, nice arch.
Ramp up:
135 x 1
165 x 3.. good speed
195 x 1
Seated Db Press (w/ pause on shoulders):          (new)
60's x 5
55's x 5
55's x 6
Pec Deck (pushing with elbows only):                  (new)
37. 5 x 10
37. 5 x 10
37. 5 x 10
CG Chins (paused hang at bottom):
BW+40 x 5
BW+45 x 5
BW+50 x 5
Gironda Bench Press(Db variation):                     (new) 
50's x 10
50's x 10....  :o
T-bar Rows (using 25 lb plates) :
100 x 12
100 x 12
Close-Grip Incline Bench <alternated with> BB Curls (back resting on wall)   
130 x 8 <alt w/> 75 x 8
130 x 8 <alt w/> 75 x 8
130 x 8 <alt w/> 75 x 8
Rear Delt BB Rows:                                             (new)
70 x 10
80 x 10
80 x 10

Feeling good!!  8) Perhaps I shoudl stick to these many rest days, it keeps motivation up and just feels better. Lots of new exercises today. Started out with Db presses, and old sucky exercise of mine.. same as bench press. These fuckers just wouldnt increase  ;D Some real easy and some hard PR's today. The Incline CG Bench went up like nothing on every set, while the BB Curls were tough as shit and very tiring!

The Gironda Db bench is the most annoying, and tiring exercise I have done for chest. I couldnt believe how tired I was getting from this exercise. I gotta man up to it though, so I will stick to it for a few weeks!  8)
follow the arrows

davie

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #97 on: March 10, 2007, 02:16:42 PM »
Looking good bro.

Meant to ask u how are u finding the BB hacks for ur quads??

davie
It isn't the mountains ah

haider

• Getbig V
  • Team Batman Squats
« Reply #98 on: March 10, 2007, 02:33:33 PM »
Looking good bro.

Meant to ask u how are u finding the BB hacks for ur quads??

davie
Thanks davie, where the hell you been bro?!! Hows the workouts?

I dunno yet abt the BB Hacks w/ respect to how good they are for my quads. What I can tell you is that I feel them a lot in the upper thighs.  :)
follow the arrows

haider

• Getbig V
  • Team Batman Squats
« Reply #99 on: March 10, 2007, 02:46:19 PM »
New Deadlift ME rotation:
Extra ROM Deadlifts

Friday, Mar 10
Lower RE:
Extra ROM Deadlifts (using 25 lb plates)*:      (new)
145 x 5
195 x 5
245 x 3
295 x 3
365 x 3
365 x 1.. to test speed.
Speed ATG Squats:
6 doubles w/ 175
ATG Front Box Sqts:      (new)
135 x 6
165 x 6
165 x 6
165 x 6... can't handle more than 6 reps on this exercise.
Glute Ham Raises (ghetto setup):      (new)
BW x 5 negatives (Full ROM)
BW x 3 (3/4 ROM)
BW x 3 (3/4 ROM)
BW x 3 (3/4 ROM)
BW x 10 negatives (Full ROM)   :o
Hanging Leg Raises (straight legs):
BW+15 x 8
BW+15 x 8
BW+10 x 8 -DS- BW x 10

Smooth workout. Brother spotted that my deadlift speed was slower than normal today after he watched me do my heavy set. What I was doing was loosing my drive on the upper part of the exercise, which I corrected when I did it again for 1 rep. Gotta keep it in my head to keep the drive, and PULL BACK, not up. This requires more hip drive, and a concious effort on my part to stay focused throughout the whole ROM.

I took JPM's suggestions and tried Box Front Squats, and these definitely hit my quads harder than the regular version. The problem is that I was feeling a bit uncomfortable during the exercise, so I kept the reps lower so I wouldnt have to be in an uncomfortable position for too long. Next workout I'll man up for a higher rep set, hopefully.

GHR's are absolutely THE BEST exercise you can do for your hamstrings. This absolutley obliterated my hamstrings like nothing else. I set it up in the power rack, using a barbell and a pad for my knees. Slide your ankles underneath the bar , get in proper position, make sure your knees are firmly placed on the pads, and there you have a perfect GHR postion  ;) (you will have to add weight to the bar obviously to keep it from lifting up)
follow the arrows