Author Topic: Lobbyist linked to McCain sues NY Times for $27 million  (Read 651 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Lobbyist linked to McCain sues NY Times for $27 million
« on: December 31, 2008, 07:57:26 AM »
I guess we'll find out if the story was true or not. 

Lobbyist linked to McCain sues NY Times for $27 million

(CNN) -- A lobbyist who was romantically linked to Sen. John McCain in a New York Times article has sued the paper for $27 million, saying the story has damaged her career and "sense of personal self-worth."

Vicki Iseman sued the New York Times Company and writers and editors who worked on the front-page story, which she said falsely intimated she had an affair with the senator and used their relationship to gain perks for her clients.

"The damage to Ms. Iseman caused by the story has continued to the present and has not abated," the lawsuit said. "The article destroyed the heart and soul of Ms. Iseman's professional identity and sense of personal self-worth."

The Times issued a statement saying it stands by the story, according to the Richmond Times-Dispatch.

The lawsuit charges that The New York Times acted with negligence and malice in publishing the article, having "utterly failed to find evidence supporting their preconceived hypothesis that Sen. McCain and Ms. Iseman had a romantic relationship."

The lengthy report, which ran February 21, said McCain aides became so concerned about the relationship between the two that they blocked her access to the senator during his first campaign for the Republican presidential nomination.

The lawsuit details comments that reporters and editors from other media outlets made about the story in which they said the Times implied an inappropriate or romantic relationship.

The lawsuit said that the relationship between Iseman and McCain "was entirely ethical, professional and appropriate."

It also noted the article included that Iseman and McCain denied having a romantic relationship.

"These denials, which most readers would understand as 'obligatory,' and therefore what Ms. Iseman and Sen. McCain would be expected to say, did not negate the defamatory meanings that otherwise pervaded the article."

As a result of the article, the lawsuit said, Iseman found that "professional associates, clients, members of Congress, congressional staffers and others that were vital to Ms. Iseman's livelihood and reputation changed their attitude about her."

http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/12/30/mccain.times/index.html

BM OUT

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Re: Lobbyist linked to McCain sues NY Times for $27 million
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2008, 08:44:23 AM »
Another NY TIMES lie.What a shameful rag that is.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2008, 08:47:26 AM »
is there anyone on the planet besides this chick who even cares?

I doubt anyone on GB.com gives a rats ass

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2008, 08:52:56 AM »
is there anyone on the planet besides this chick who even cares?

I doubt anyone on GB.com gives a rats ass
while i agree its not as big as obama strutting around in hawaii with his shirt off  ::) these ppl need to be held accountable for what they print. I wish ppl would get on here and sue 240 for his daily spin fest.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2008, 09:16:03 AM »
while i agree its not as big as obama strutting around in hawaii with his shirt off  ::) these ppl need to be held accountable for what they print. I wish ppl would get on here and sue 240 for his daily spin fest.

I'm don't disagree with that but I just don't care about this chick or even McCain.

It's yesterdays news

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2008, 09:54:12 AM »

Definitely need to be held accountable. 

Mars

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2008, 09:57:09 AM »
probably jewish.

IFBBwannaB

• Getbig V
  • BAN stick!
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2008, 09:59:32 AM »
probably jewish.

How many times in your life you felt inferior to Jewish people you know?

You like blowing yourself up for a fairytale about 72 young virgin boys?