Author Topic: bodybuilding is dead. -Paul Dillett  (Read 11801 times)

jon cole

• Getbig IV
Re: bodybuilding is dead. -Paul Dillett
« Reply #25 on: November 27, 2013, 05:23:50 AM »
" It's nowhere nearly as popular as what it used to be in the '80s and '90s when it was at its peak. It was a different time."

Is he right?

Most people including even many bb'ers don't find today's elite competitors bodies appealing at all. They know there's no way in hell of achieving it without insane amounts of drugs. Therefor their respect for them is void.

Prior to the mass monster trend you saw people on stage with shapes that you'd actually want to look like.

Physique catches a lot of heat but the truth is  you look great and sexy, pick up girls, stay healthy and even if you dont have amazing genetics you can do it. There's a recent long ass thread on here about Ulysses being possibly the most aesthetic bodybuilder today, he has a large following..and he doesn't even compete in the IFBB. I used to think Musclemania and WBFF were second rate federations with clown acts, until I recently took a trip to the UK with 1 of my buddies Anthony Defosse who was competing in 1. (He's since signed up to the thunderdome, give him a warm welcome bitches )

First off, it had the hottest fucking women I ever seen in my life (damn you marriage!) ..very feminine tightly toned bodies with big round asses.  ;D but also, alot of the guys had sick builds aswell. Well conditioned and aesthetic looks albeit much smaller. Builds that would inspire the average person to pick up weights instead of grossing them out. The show was also much more entertaining than any npc event or pro show outside The Olympia that I've attended.

Some might say this is the pussification of bodybuilding, but IMO it's the art of building a pussyslaying physique.

Thoughts?

bbing died in 2001/2002, when mitsuru okabe started to film boring guy doing partial dead on smith machine and customised hammer strenght lat machine.
asstropin

bigkid

• Getbig IV
« Reply #26 on: November 27, 2013, 05:39:57 AM »
Bodybuilding seems to be getting bigger to me and its annoying.  My whole facebook is filled with girls hashtagging #eatclean #traindirty or putting NPC in front of their name and other stupid bullshit like that.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #27 on: November 27, 2013, 05:57:26 AM »
Bodybuilding has always been a subculture of a sport. It's also a sport that couldn't exist without drugs. It's sad because it could have been the symbol of health and fitness instead of being so tied to drugs. I know Don Horworth took dianabol but if there wasn't the drug involvement in bodybuilding I would like to think the Olympia winner would look something like his picture.

Meaningless

• Getbig III
« Reply #28 on: November 27, 2013, 06:24:53 AM »
Bodybuilding seems to be getting bigger to me and its annoying.  My whole facebook is filled with girls hashtagging #eatclean #traindirty or putting NPC in front of their name and other stupid bullshit like that.

This.

Pro bodybuilding is dying out though.

ProudVirgin69

• Getbig V
  • hardcore redneck electric champion
« Reply #29 on: November 27, 2013, 06:41:59 AM »

Seriously, it seems like girls are more into the "gymrat" thing then guys these days

Ronnie Rep

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #30 on: November 27, 2013, 07:46:45 AM »
Bodybuilding was and will always be a niche sport!

theEsquire

• Competitors II
  • Getbig II
« Reply #31 on: November 27, 2013, 08:03:48 AM »

This.

"Competing," or at least training with competitive aspirations, has definitely become a "thing."  It's annoying, especially to those of us who feel like actual accomplishments should garner praise and admiration, not 'effing tweets and instagay pics of your latest workout.

In regards to "bodybuilding" being dead, I think the only thing to do is try to build a classical and aesthetic physique and just out-class and out-condition these npc frankensteins.  Just because everyone is doing it, doesn't mean you have to.

The_Punisher

• Getbig V
  • The Unrighteous Shall Pay
« Reply #32 on: November 27, 2013, 08:07:13 AM »
Big Paul said this had nothing to do with Diuretic uses....he just forgot to drink enough water,...sure. we believe you, Big Paul

galeniko

• Getbig V
« Reply #33 on: November 27, 2013, 08:08:04 AM »
I wonder if Zyzz would've been so popular if he was the size of a typical bodybuilder. He was the perfect example of a great looking build that naive people thought could've been obtained naturally
yah he was the exact perfect aesteticaly pleasing and within reality goals physique.

the very naive would think can be done naturaly, the more realistic will know it akes a bit supplements.

ppl are stupid they want to belive this and that can be done naturaly, but the thought process behind it is not vs steroids, its to ensure themselves(much more naively)that only if they tried the right steroids, they too could look like that.

ppl can say what they want about zyzz, but the guy was open about how he looked natty(knda shit)and when on bit gear, yah his prefered choice was sust-tren blend.

as for pro bbuilding, yeah at the pace the athletes are dropping dead,it could literaly die ;D

if it werent for the guts, the deformed faces, itd be ok.

the mags always always, since arnold days, made sure to not show offseason pics, bc the bloofy look the always figured wouldnt be very practical and useful to boost popularity.

things have changed, nobody gives a fuck about abiut mags, the bloofy offseason pictures are ont he web, (and not for diet capsules marketing purpose lie MMI did with lee priest back then)and the drugs taken are kinda known.

ofc the average twink out there still doesnt know shit about how gear works and what it does, they overly exagerate the effects often, but the ppl are more informed overall.and seeing sideefects like huge guts even when shredded, this has many ppl start to think.

n

Pet shop boys

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #34 on: November 27, 2013, 08:17:52 AM »
he's right... it's always going to be less and less mainstream as guys get bigger.  But what is mainstream?  Glee and "The Voice"?  Hey, I'll stick with this obscure sport anyday over that.

Not a fair comparison, the mainstream target for bodybuilding should be for a particular audience the one with fans that follows athletes   (men) competing for a tittle

Examples : Boxing for a world tittle, or NFL Super bowl, MLB World series, NBA all star game etc ...
( The Mr. Olympia tittle is the Super Bowl of bb )......
But who care?

Btw, Philsulin sucks

WoooSSSHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH HHHHHH

Thespritz0

• Getbig IV
« Reply #35 on: November 27, 2013, 08:20:22 AM »
Bodybuilding STARTED to go downhill after PROPORTIONS went out the window... MR. OLYMPIA'S should look like this:

tommywishbone

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Biscuit
« Reply #36 on: November 27, 2013, 08:20:34 AM »
One of the most jawing dropping sights in Gold's Venice history was Dillet training arms, super setting bi's & tris, wearing a sleeveless (not tank top) T-shirt. All you could do is shake your head in disbelief at what you were seeing.
a

ob205

• Getbig III
« Reply #37 on: November 27, 2013, 08:27:51 AM »
"I hate these mass monsters TODAY"

Ronnie Rep

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #38 on: November 27, 2013, 08:33:07 AM »
One of the most jawing dropping sights in Gold's Venice history was Dillet training arms, super setting bi's & tris, wearing a sleeveless (not tank top) T-shirt. All you could do is shake your head in disbelief at what you were seeing.
Before Paul moved to S.Cal, he trained At Golds Gym in Sunrise FL.where I trained for years! I used to watch him do cable cross overs for chest and just shake my head!

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
« Reply #39 on: November 27, 2013, 08:33:25 AM »
I think the only thing to do is try to build a classical and aesthetic physique and just out-class and out-condition these npc frankensteins.  Just because everyone is doing it, doesn't mean you have to.

agreed 100000000000000000000000 000000000000000000000000 000000000000000%

MisterMagoo

• Getbig V
  • And now, what joy will I have left to live for?
« Reply #40 on: November 27, 2013, 08:33:37 AM »
said it before and i'll say it again. you can't hate ronnie or phil, jay or dorian. it's the judges. they did what they needed to in order to win trophies. if dorian's mess of a body had lost in its later years, or ronnie stopped having his bloated disaster area rewarded, things would be different.

dillet might have been a mass guy, but at least he had a small waist and didn't look like balloons.

HockeyFightFan

• Getbig V
  • Getgay is Beneath Me
« Reply #41 on: November 27, 2013, 08:34:05 AM »
Bodybuilding STARTED to go downhill after PROPORTIONS went out the window... MR. OLYMPIA'S should look like this:

Mr. Olympias should have looked like a prime Bob Paris, but the Weider brothers were never going to allow that to happen.

MisterMagoo

• Getbig V
  • And now, what joy will I have left to live for?
« Reply #42 on: November 27, 2013, 08:44:18 AM »
frankly this is why i stopped giving a shit about bodybuilding ages ago. it's like an art exhibit. there's no objective criteria, no genuine progress from generation to generation. if the judges wanted to they could randomly decide that some guy 70lb lighter than everyone else on stage is the winner and there'd be nothing to be done about it.

once you understand that bodybuilding is nothing more than a beauty pageant with a really fucked up idea of "beauty", everything feels illuminated.

Dago_Joe

• Getbig III
  • Better to look good than to feel good: ALWAYS
« Reply #43 on: November 27, 2013, 09:03:05 AM »
Big Paul said this had nothing to do with Diuretic uses....he just forgot to drink enough water,...sure. we believe you, Big Paul

Did you ever read the John Romano story about how this whole incident happened?  He was coaching Paul at the time and had some rather unorthodox fucking retarded methods for drying him out.  I forget where I read it, but the shit John had Paul doing should be attempted murder on his part. 

Natural Man

• Getbig V
« Reply #44 on: November 27, 2013, 09:18:26 AM »

Mr Olympia should look more like this:

No..."mister olympia" shouldnt exist in the first place. Bodybuilding is losers injecting veterinary steroids and other substances to get as big as possible while destroying your health for a plastic trophy and gay4pay.

It's crap, it's for losers, liars, con artists, scamers, the filth of the earth.

Physical conditioning -lifting weight and doing cardio, eating healthy- is where it's at. Everything else is extreme and damageable.

Ronnie Rep

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #45 on: November 27, 2013, 09:41:43 AM »
Did you ever read the John Romano story about how this whole incident happened?  He was coaching Paul at the time and had some rather unorthodox fucking retarded methods for drying him out.  I forget where I read it, but the shit John had Paul doing should be attempted murder on his part. 
I read that, it was in an old MD,when Romano was still with them!