Author Topic: How often do you superset biceps with triceps?  (Read 11191 times)

Meso_z

• Getbig V
How often do you superset biceps with triceps?
« on: November 08, 2008, 02:04:07 AM »
Do you think on an ARMS day its better than doing lets say bis first and then tris?

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
Re: How often do you superset biceps with triceps?
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2008, 02:31:05 AM »
How often? Not very often.
Z

webcake

• Getbig V
  • Not now chief...
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2008, 02:55:49 AM »
Well i don't give arms they're own day, so i generally train tris and bi's seperately. That being said, i don't really do direct bi work that much.

Anyway, i'd go with supersets. Seems like a time effecient way of training and gets a good pump in the arms.
No doubt about it...

Bobby

• Getbig V
  • is da lordes plan
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2008, 06:35:19 AM »
never.

when i train both on the same day i always start with tris
tank u jesus

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2008, 06:51:06 AM »
Personal preference. Some like it for the psychological effect of flushing the entire area, and/or because it can save a little time in each workout. I've always preferred to focus on one muscle more thoroughly at a time. The better use of supersets IMO is compound supersets, 2 consecutive sets done for the same rather than opposing muscles. This term is often confused with using only compound exercises, whereas i'm talking about using any 2 isolation or compound exercises for the same muscle consecutively.

mitchyboy

• Getbig III
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2008, 09:06:55 AM »
If I work bis and tris together, I alternate bi and tri moves, for 3 -4 sets. First a curl, all sets, then an extension, all sets.
Back to a curl, then an extension. You stay real strong all the way through. That being said, I usualy work tris with chest, and bis with back. :)

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2008, 09:14:13 AM »
I alternate bi and tri moves, for 3 -4 sets. First a curl, all sets, then an extension, all sets.
Back to a curl, then an extension.

That's an interesting permutation of the usual superset approach worth trying. I saw someone do something different like that, also worth trying-he supersetted 2 exercises for the same muscle in superset fashion, but with the usual minute rest in between sets.

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2008, 10:36:59 AM »
i workout triceps then biceps.  my last movement for triceps is super setted with my first movement for biceps. both are high rep...but one is a burn out and one is a warm up.  normally it will be something like rope pull downs and cable curls.

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2008, 10:39:56 AM »
but one is a burn out and one is a warm up.  normally it will be something like rope pull downs and cable curls.

It's common to use something like this for a final burn out; also worth trying at the start or middle or a workout instead.

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2008, 10:43:19 AM »
It's common to use something like this for a final burn out; also worth trying at the start or middle or a workout instead.
whaddya mean ?

heres what i am saying

straight bar push downs
warm up
warm up
work set
work set

overhead dumbell extension
warm up
warm up
work set
work set

close grip bench
warm up
warm up
waork set
work set

rope pull downs/cable curls
rpd burn out
cc warm up
rpd burn out
cc warm up
rpd burn out
cc warm up

barbell curls
warm up
warm up
waorkj set
work set

alt. dumbell curls
warm up
warm up
work set
work set

front double bicep curls
burn out
burn out
burn out

done.

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2008, 10:52:58 AM »
whaddya mean ?

Use what you've described as part of the main course of the workout, instead of just at the beginning/end. Sometimes we get locked in to suppositions of how something's only good as a finishing technique, etc. when it's not necessarily true.

ozman

• Getbig IV
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2008, 12:51:33 PM »
I don't

leonp1981

• Getbig IV
  • mmmmm....
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2008, 01:43:20 PM »
If I'm training arms in one workout, I'll do something like:

CG Bench - 4 x 12/10/8/8
Barbell curl - 4 x 12/10/8/8
Lying extensions - 3 x 10
DB Curls - 3 x 10

then a superset of:
Pressdowns with Preacher curls - 3 x 15

The superset at the end is to get a lot of blood in there to finish.

There have been studies done that show that when supersetting antagonistic muscles, you are actually stronger in the second movement.  E.g. Start with a set of lying extensions, then go straight to barbell curls, you will be stronger in the curls than you would be if doing regular sets.

big L dawg

• Getbig V
  • i always tell the truth even when i lie...
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2008, 01:50:27 PM »
you should start with which ever is weaker.I superset at the end of bi's leading into tri's.
DAWG

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2008, 01:57:47 PM »

There have been studies done that show that when supersetting antagonistic muscles, you are actually stronger in the second movement.  E.g. Start with a set of lying extensions, then go straight to barbell curls, you will be stronger in the curls than you would be if doing regular sets.

I don't know about that.

leonp1981

• Getbig IV
  • mmmmm....
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2008, 02:59:33 PM »
I don't know about that.

I'll have a dig around and see if I can find it, although admittedly it was a magazine article.   :-\

I think it was one of those, "Univ. of x did a study and found..." mini articles.

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2008, 09:11:26 PM »
you should start with which ever is weaker.I superset at the end of bi's leading into tri's.
everyboyd is different and i dont want to tell anybody what they should or should not do. everyone should stick to what works best for them.

but consider the following

99% of guys have overpowering biceps, because they train equal sets and equal reps with biceps and triceps and follow this mantra. the tricep is the larger muscle and is three heads, the bicep is a smaller muscle and is two heads. a roportional andaesthetic arm will be 2/3 tricep and 1/3 bicep.

IMO   the tricep should get more sets than the bicep and and should be trained first.

Meso_z

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2008, 03:30:40 AM »
If I'm training arms in one workout, I'll do something like:

CG Bench - 4 x 12/10/8/8
Barbell curl - 4 x 12/10/8/8
Lying extensions - 3 x 10
DB Curls - 3 x 10

then a superset of:
Pressdowns with Preacher curls - 3 x 15

The superset at the end is to get a lot of blood in there to finish.

I believe thats true because i noticed it on Friday when i did supersets.

Although i do supersets once in a couple of months, not too often.

big L dawg

• Getbig V
  • i always tell the truth even when i lie...
« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2008, 03:45:37 AM »
everyboyd is different and i dont want to tell anybody what they should or should not do. everyone should stick to what works best for them.

but consider the following

99% of guys have overpowering biceps, because they train equal sets and equal reps with biceps and triceps and follow this mantra. the tricep is the larger muscle and is three heads, the bicep is a smaller muscle and is two heads. a roportional andaesthetic arm will be 2/3 tricep and 1/3 bicep.

IMO   the tricep should get more sets than the bicep and and should be trained first.

alot of people don't know what works for them.my tri's are Superior to my bi's.because of this it makes sense to train bi's when I'm fresh early in the workout.and if I did what you suggest having more sets for tri's than bi's I would look very disproportionate.as I said my tri's genetically respond better than bi's.but your right everone is different.
DAWG

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2008, 08:10:35 AM »
if I did what you suggest having more sets for tri's than bi's I would look very disproportionate.as I said my tri's genetically respond better than bi's.but your right everone is different.

Exactly, it's case by case, not so easy to generalize as to what to do first or what's more developed, varies by the individual.

Rimbaud

• Getbig V
  • There can be only one.
« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2008, 11:33:48 AM »
Do you think on an ARMS day its better than doing lets say bis first and then tris?

I like having an "arms" day. I probably train arms twice a week.

Alex23

« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2008, 11:47:55 AM »
I like having an "arms" day. I probably train arms twice a week.

I've been divided for years on this one. I love arm day; but it taxes your entire training split; following arm day, can't do chest, shoulder or back... well you can but you'll interrupt the recovery and little grow will occur...

My best mass split:

Day 1 morning: Chest- front shoulder 1 triceps 'heavy' exercise.  evening: light triceps
Day 2 morning Legs
Day 3 morning back - side delts 1 biceps'heavy' ex. evening: light biceps
Day 3 off.

Biggest I've been was on this routine.

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #22 on: November 09, 2008, 10:50:07 PM »
following arm day, can't do chest, shoulder or back...
thats bullshit dude..  get that out of flex magazing mr.google??   ::)   

anyway you could try this on for size

day one = chest tris bis
day two = quads hams calves
day three = back shoulders traps
day four = rest
day five = repeat day one
etc etc

;)

io856

« Reply #23 on: November 10, 2008, 03:16:16 AM »
following arm day, can't do chest, shoulder or back... well you can but you'll interrupt the recovery and little grow will occur...
Nosaka K, Newton M. Repeated eccentric exercise bouts do not exacerbate muscle damage and repair. 2005 Feb;16(1):117-22

CalvinH

• Getbig V
  • Spastic Tarted Cvunt
« Reply #24 on: November 10, 2008, 09:06:52 AM »
I've been divided for years on this one. I love arm day; but it taxes your entire training split; following arm day, can't do chest, shoulder or back... well you can but you'll interrupt the recovery and little grow will occur...

My best mass split:

Same here dude.if I'm not combining them with another body part I always do them on Fri.
I lift all week and take off weekends so I have time to rest before the week starts.

as for tri's first,bi's first,supersets.I don't ever do the same workout so that doesn't matter 2 me.