Author Topic: What do you guys think about Craig Kukuk  (Read 5351 times)

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
What do you guys think about Craig Kukuk
« on: December 02, 2006, 09:48:30 PM »
I know he never competed in the UFC because of his lower back and his wife absolutely siad no way.  But back in the early 90's late 80's even Rickson and all the Gracies said Craig is the one person they would not like to fight.  Of anyone I have ever seen there is no one even close to Craigs punching power.  He wss just unreal.  I have seen him fight guys when we would go out and it was ugly.  His power was unmatched by anyone.  He had incredible forearm strength.  His grip was awesome.  Once he learned the GJJ he was the perfect fighter.  Unreal stand-up with now the skill of GJJ.  Has anyone ever trained or seen Craig.  I haven't seen him since the mid 90's.  The Gracies and Craig had a huge falling out becasue of the video sales.

I honestly wouldn't give Liddell past the first round with Craig.  Nowadays I think he may be retired or soemthing in Utah.

Scimowser

• Getbig V
  • Make them remember you
Re: What do you guys think about Craig Kukuk
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2006, 10:37:55 AM »
a quick search said he teaches in a place called Boise in Idaho. Lots about him and Renzo though
Scouser on Tour

Thin Lizzy

• Getbig V
  • It’s all a fraud
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2006, 09:55:50 PM »
I know he never competed in the UFC because of his lower back and his wife absolutely siad no way.  But back in the early 90's late 80's even Rickson and all the Gracies said Craig is the one person they would not like to fight.  Of anyone I have ever seen there is no one even close to Craigs punching power.  He wss just unreal.  I have seen him fight guys when we would go out and it was ugly.  His power was unmatched by anyone.  He had incredible forearm strength.  His grip was awesome.  Once he learned the GJJ he was the perfect fighter.  Unreal stand-up with now the skill of GJJ.  Has anyone ever trained or seen Craig.  I haven't seen him since the mid 90's.  The Gracies and Craig had a huge falling out becasue of the video sales.

I honestly wouldn't give Liddell past the first round with Craig.  Nowadays I think he may be retired or soemthing in Utah.

I remember Craig telling us that Rickson kicked his ass every day for three years. At the time, I remember thinking "How can anybody be better than Craig?"

It's a shame that Craig never got to show his skills in MMA. There's no doubt he would've been a major force. He had it all: the size, strength, speed and skill. At that time, the only guy with similar attributes was Marco Ruas.

americanbulldog

• Getbig IV
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2006, 10:02:49 PM »
I remember Craig telling us that Rickson kicked his ass every day for three years. At the time, I remember thinking "How can anybody be better than Craig?"

It's a shame that Craig never got to show his skills in MMA. There's no doubt he would've been a major force. He had it all: the size, strength, speed and skill. At that time, the only guy with similar attributes was Marco Ruas.

The original Gracie/Kukuk videos are still some of the best.  Craig seemed the better teacher of the two, spoke very slowly, broke things down.  I loved that series because they would demonstrate technique, then shown it used in real vale tudo fights.  Brings back some good memories. 

Thin Lizzy

• Getbig V
  • It’s all a fraud
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2006, 11:27:21 PM »
The original Gracie/Kukuk videos are still some of the best.  Craig seemed the better teacher of the two, spoke very slowly, broke things down.  I loved that series because they would demonstrate technique, then shown it used in real vale tudo fights.  Brings back some good memories. 

When I first saw this thread, I went and grabbed one of those tapes. I have the whole set.

It's great to view them again as an advanced student and  pick up a lot of the subtle things they do that would've gone over my head in the early days.

But you have to remember, that, when those tapes were made, Renzo had just moved to the states, and his English left a lot to be desired.

Right Now, the most literate BJJ teacher would have to be New Zealand John Daneher. The guy has a PHD in philosophy from Columbia University.

americanbulldog

• Getbig IV
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2006, 11:33:44 PM »
When I first saw this thread, I went and grabbed one of those tapes. I have the whole set.

It's great to view them again as an advanced student and  pick up a lot of the subtle things they do that would've gone over my head in the early days.

But you have to remember, that, when those tapes were made, Renzo had just moved to the states, and his English left a lot to be desired.

Right Now, the most literate BJJ teacher would have to be New Zealand John Daneher. The guy has a PHD in philosophy from Columbia University.

I rewatched those things so much that I had to invest and get DVD versions of them.  Still THE enclyopedia of Jits. 

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2006, 01:17:20 AM »

Craig respected the Gracies more than I have ever seen him respect anyone.  He was the perfect student and wass so dedicated.  I am pretty sure when he saidhe got his ass kicked by Rickson all those years he meant it through training.  Back then it was one on one in the garage with no air and the doors all closed.  10 minutes was murder.  It was non-stop.  And these guys (Gracies) did it 12+ hours a day, everyday.  What made Craig so dangerous was his punching power.  you have to see it in person to believe it.  He hit a guy so hard at Don Jose's (a dance bar) that it cut the guys cheek wide open wear his teeth were coming through the side of his mouth.  All four knuckles on Craigs right hand were cut to the bone.  I heard it from 100'  away.  He could hit so hard.  He may say it as does another one of my friends they said I hit harder than Craig.  I always say no way but they think I do.  I think Craig just said it but didn't mean it.  We had some great times together when we were younger.  His mom was the best. 

SinCitysmallGUY

• Getbig V
  • FIST-ta-CUFF Radio
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2006, 01:00:05 PM »
Craig respected the Gracies more than I have ever seen him respect anyone.  He was the perfect student and wass so dedicated.  I am pretty sure when he saidhe got his ass kicked by Rickson all those years he meant it through training.  Back then it was one on one in the garage with no air and the doors all closed.  10 minutes was murder.  It was non-stop.  And these guys (Gracies) did it 12+ hours a day, everyday.  What made Craig so dangerous was his punching power.  you have to see it in person to believe it.  He hit a guy so hard at Don Jose's (a dance bar) that it cut the guys cheek wide open wear his teeth were coming through the side of his mouth.  All four knuckles on Craigs right hand were cut to the bone.  I heard it from 100'  away.  He could hit so hard.  He may say it as does another one of my friends they said I hit harder than Craig.  I always say no way but they think I do.  I think Craig just said it but didn't mean it.  We had some great times together when we were younger.  His mom was the best. 

He trains a fight group called Primal Tribe Fight Club. Myold man trained with them for a short time.. Since im looking into getting back into fighting and need to wrok ground and I moved back to Boise,Id i am going to give him a call since my old man knows those guys... how well do you think having him as a trainer/teacher would be valuable.... I believe it would be great... i will mention that story when i meet him, more then likely here in the next month or so...

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2006, 05:47:53 PM »
He trains a fight group called Primal Tribe Fight Club. Myold man trained with them for a short time.. Since im looking into getting back into fighting and need to wrok ground and I moved back to Boise,Id i am going to give him a call since my old man knows those guys... how well do you think having him as a trainer/teacher would be valuable.... I believe it would be great... i will mention that story when i meet him, more then likely here in the next month or so...

I have no idea what Craig islike as a teacher.  Back then we were best friends.  I moved ot Hawaii 89' so we lost contact.  I would see him occassionally when I went back then he moved away and got married.  I feel like callinghim aand saying hi.  It has been awhile.  I can't even remember the last time we talked.

Thin Lizzy

• Getbig V
  • It’s all a fraud
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2006, 08:38:06 PM »
I have no idea what Craig islike as a teacher.  Back then we were best friends.  I moved ot Hawaii 89' so we lost contact.  I would see him occassionally when I went back then he moved away and got married.  I feel like callinghim aand saying hi.  It has been awhile.  I can't even remember the last time we talked.

I do

He's incredibly articulate and great at breaking down moves and explaining them. He's also not afraid to give you a kick in the ass if you need one.

SinCitysmallGUY

• Getbig V
  • FIST-ta-CUFF Radio
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2006, 08:16:25 AM »
I do

He's incredibly articulate and great at breaking down moves and explaining them. He's also not afraid to give you a kick in the ass if you need one.

Sounds just like the teacher/instructor i need to get my ass back into fighting shape and get my mind set back there to...

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2006, 08:37:18 PM »
If anyone can get me his email send it to me.

SinCitysmallGUY

• Getbig V
  • FIST-ta-CUFF Radio
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2006, 06:55:48 AM »
If anyone can get me his email send it to me.

I can give you a contact number for him....

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2006, 11:07:59 AM »
I can give you a contact number for him....

thanks man that would be cool. I'd like to say hi

SinCitysmallGUY

• Getbig V
  • FIST-ta-CUFF Radio
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2006, 04:25:45 PM »

thanks man that would be cool. I'd like to say hi

Hit me up PM style and i'll shoot it to you...