Author Topic: Misery Index: The Obama Depression - "Private sector doing just Fine"  (Read 153297 times)

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
Re: Misery Index: The Obama Depression - "Private sector doing just Fine"
« Reply #775 on: July 09, 2012, 08:39:21 PM »
wait a MFing minute, hoss.

I'll give you every point EXCEPT social security.  That money BELONGS to the people who paid it.   The average american pays almost 400k into social security.  When I reach retirment age, some bitch ass 38 year old congressman is going to tell me that my 48 years straight of working --- I don't deserve my money back?  Suddenly that's an ENTITLEMENT?

Shit, i'm all for cutting 90% of welfare and ending all unemployment after 2 weeks.  Beyond that - go fuck yourself if i work 50 years and don't get my money back.  Fuck all that.  SS is not an entitlement.

We are broke.  Sorry.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #776 on: July 09, 2012, 08:41:13 PM »

We are broke.  Sorry.

Killing bin laden wasn't free.   Shoudl we have cancelled that mission because we had to borrow $ from china to do it?

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #777 on: July 10, 2012, 06:13:41 AM »
YEESH: Small Business Optimism Tanks
Joe Weisenthal|Jul. 10, 2012, 7:31 AM|679|5

Ugly number from the NFIB: The latest Small Business Optimism survey collapsed from 94.4 last month to 91.4 this month.

That's well below the 93.3 that was expected.

From the announcement:

The Index of Small Business Optimism declined 3 points in June, falling to 91.4. The decline is significant, relinquished the gains achieved earlier this year and is a clear indication of slow growth. Only one of the 10 Index components improved, expected credit conditions. Nearly one-quarter of owners cite weak sales as their most important business problem (23%), followed by taxes (21%) and unreasonable regulations and red tape (19%).

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/june-nfib-small-business-optimism-2012-7#ixzz20E0Uh9MP

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #778 on: July 10, 2012, 06:16:53 PM »
Companies Are Laying People Off At The Highest Rate In Two Years
AP    | Jul. 10, 2012, 7:11 PM | 735 | 5
i
WASHINGTON (AP) — U.S. employers advertised more jobs in May than April, a hopeful sign after three months of weak hiring.

Job openings rose to a seasonally adjusted 3.6 million, the Labor Department said Tuesday. That's up from 3.4 million in April. It's also the second-highest level in nearly four years, just behind March's 3.7 million.
A rise in openings could mean hiring will pick up in the coming months. It typically takes one to three months to fill a job.

The report "suggests business attitudes toward hiring are not in complete free-fall," Michael Feroli, an economist at JPMorgan Chase, wrote in a note to clients.
Even with the increase, the competition for jobs remains fierce. There were 12.7 million unemployed people in May, or an average of 3.5 unemployed for each open position. That's down from a ratio of 3.7 in April. In a healthy job market, the ratio is usually around 2 to 1.
And more openings have yet to translate into greater hiring.
For the April-June quarter, the economy added an average of only 75,000 net jobs a month, according to the government June employment report released last Friday. That's roughly a third of the average monthly jobs added in the January-March quarter.
Businesses and governments have been slow to fill jobs in the past year.
Since May 2011, openings have increased by more than 18 percent. But gross hiring has risen only about 4 percent.
Openings are more than 50 percent higher than they were in June 2009, when the recession ended. But they are still below pre-recession levels of about 5 million per month.
The government's monthly employment report measures net hiring.
Tuesday's report, known as the Job Openings and Labor Turnover survey, measures gross hiring. That rose in May to 4.36 million, the second-highest level in two years.
But when layoffs, quits and other separations are subtracted, the net gain is close to the 77,000 reported Friday for May.
Layoffs increased in May to the highest level since July 2010.

A weaker job market has also led to smaller pay increases. Wages for those who have jobs are barely keeping up with inflation. Without more jobs and higher pay, consumers won't have the income needed to fuel more spending and economic growth.

The slow pace of hiring also suggests businesses aren't confident enough in the economy to add permanent employees. Nearly a third of the jobs added last month were temporary hires. That is usually seen as a good sign, because it indicates employers need more workers and will soon hire permanently. But many economists now say it suggests that companies are simply reluctant to add workers for the long term.
Overall, the economy isn't growing fast enough to generate more jobs. The economy expanded at a 1.9 percent annual rate in the first three months of the year, down from a 3 percent pace in the final three months of last year. Growth likely didn't pick up much in the April-June quarter, economists say.

whork

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #779 on: July 11, 2012, 02:53:06 AM »
Killing bin laden wasn't free.   Shoudl we have cancelled that mission because we had to borrow $ from china to do it?

333... say we are broke yet he wants to keep and give tax breaks for millionaires(as if they need them ::))

He claims Obama is a failure. Apparently the criteria for failure in 333... mind is killing our enemies, not being hit by terrorist attack, not crashing the economy etc.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #780 on: July 11, 2012, 05:25:18 AM »
The New Recession Is Here And It Can't Be Stopped
Mike "Mish" Shedlock, Global Economic Trend Analysis|38 minutes ago|3|

Mike "Mish" Shedlock Mish is an investment advisor at Sitka Pacific Capital. He writes the widely read Mish's Global Economic Trend Analysis.

There is a big difference between making a claim the economy is in recession from a claim the economy is headed for one.

Case for a Global Recession

I think the entire global economy is in recession and said so on July 6, 2012 in Plunging New Orders Suggest Global Recession Has Arrived

However, we need to define the term "recession"

Contrary to popular myth, recession does not mean two consecutive quarters of economic contraction. Rather, two consecutive quarters of economic contraction is a sufficient, but not necessary condition.

In the US, the NBER is the official designator of recession start and end points. Many recessions have started with GDP still growing.

The "Conditions for Global Recession" are even looser. "The International Monetary Fund (IMF) considers a global recession as a period where gross domestic product (GDP) growth is at 3% or less. In addition to that, the IMF looks at declines in real per-capita world GDP along with several global macroeconomic factors before confirming a global recession."

Given current conditions are what one would expect from outright stagnation (if not worse), I am confident a global recession has begun.

What About a US Recession?

On June 21, I gave 12 Reasons US Recession Has Arrived (Or Will Shortly).

Tipping the Balance to Now (Not Shortly)
 The Third Consecutive Weak Payroll Report
 The pending Global Collapse In Auto Sales
 Plunge in China Import Growth (For discussion see China Import Growth Plunges, Trade Surplus Hits 3-Year High; Will US Response Be Protectionism? Is China Headed For a Deflationary Shock?)

That is enough for me. And I am not the only one to feel that way.

ECRI's Achuthan: "I Think We're in a Recession Already"

Link if video does not play: ECRI's Achuthan Says U.S. Economy Is in Recession

Partial Transcript of Video

Achuthan on whether he can reaffirm his recession call from last year:

“Yeah…I think a lot of people forget what our call was. What we said back in December was that the most likely start date for the recession would be in Q1 and if not then, by the middle of 2012. I'm here to reaffirm that. I think we're in a recession. I think we’re in a recession already. As I said back there, it is very rare that you know you're going into recession when you’re going into recession. It often takes some big hit on top of the head. In the last recession, it took Lehman to wake people up and the recession before, it took 9/11.”

Those are exactly the kinds of things that irritate me about the ECRI. The fact of the matter is Achuthan was calling for a recession in September, not December, and not June.

For details, please see my September 30, 2011 post ECRI Calls Recession Based on "Contagion in Forward Indicators"; Just How Timely is the Call?

Tom Keen: "Single Sentence, why recession now"
 ECRI's Lakshman Achuthan: "Contagion in Forward-Looking Indicators"

That link clearly shows I thought a recession was imminent as well. Those are the facts. It is silly to try and hide them.

Yet, in December (after economic data firmed), Achuthan moved the date forward to June, wanting another 6 months to be proven correct.

My question in September "Just How Timely is the Call?" was a good one. The ECRI has been both very early and very late. Far from the perfect track record they claim.

That my friends is the nature of making predictions. No one is perfect, not me, not Achuthan, not anyone, and it is very foolish to pretend otherwise.

Actually, I have no problem at all with Achuthan moving the date forward. Conditions change. My problem, is revisionist history that makes it appear as if a recession call in September was a recession call for June (made in December).

All this nonsense goes away the moment Achuthan admits the ECRI does not have a perfect track record.

That said, I think Achuthan is now correct. However, I thought so in September. So be it. I was wrong. The solution when you were wrong is easy, simply say you were wrong.

The Other Extreme "Recession is Not Imminent"

Please consider the other extreme, Recession is Not Imminent by Dwaine van Vuuren.

Among the bearish voices I most respect is John Hussman, whose work I read regularly. He is thorough and quantitatively rigorous. Whenever I am convinced there will be no recession, I temper my enthusiasm by re-reading his articles to make sure I maintain a balanced view. One day he will be right and I will be wrong, but at least I won't be blindsided.

But the data don't show catastrophe. Looking at the Leading SuperIndex, we are a bit worse off than last summer and the summer before that. We just put in a leading SuperIndex peak on April 13 (10 days after the SP-500 peak) that is lower than the prior two peaks. This slowdown, if not checked in time, may well be the one that pushes us into recession. But even that worst-case scenario is still three to four months away, according to the SuperIndex recession-path projections in our regular weekly report.

Emphasis in italics added.

I disagree. The global data is an outright catastrophe. Moreover, the jobs reports in the US and the US ISM manufacturing numbers are  a catastrophe as well.

I am amused by van Vuuren's statement "at least I won't be blindsided". I suggest he already is.

"We Have Reached the Point that Delineates an Expansion from a New Recession"

John Hussman asks What if the Fed Throws a QE3 and Nobody Comes?

With regard to the economy, I noted two weeks ago that the leading evidence pointed to a further weakening in employment, with an abrupt dropoff in industrial production and new orders.

Mike Shedlock reviews the litany of awful figures we’ve seen since then, focusing on the new orders component of global purchasing managers indices: U.S. manufacturing new orders and export orders plunging from expansion to contraction, Eurozone new export orders plunging (only orders from Greece fell at a faster rate than those of Germany), and an accelerating decline in new orders in both China and Japan.

Recall that the NBER often looks for “a well-defined peak or trough in real sales or industrial production” to help determine the specific peak or trough date of an expansion or recession. From that standpoint, the sharp and abrupt decline we’re seeing in new orders is a short-leading precursor of output. As the chart below of global output suggests, I continue to believe that we have reached the point that delineates an expansion from a new recession.

On the employment front, Friday’s disappointing report of 80,000 jobs created in June may be looked on longingly within a few months, as we continue to expect the employment figures to turn negative shortly. That said, it remains important to focus on the joint action of numerous data points, rather than choosing a single figure as an acid test. I noted last week in Enter, the Blindside Recession, GDP and employment figures are subject to substantial revision.

Lakshman Achuthan at ECRI has observed the first real-time negative GDP print is often seen two quarters after a recession starts. Earlier data is often subsequently revised negative. As for the June employment figures, the internals provided by the household survey were more dismal than the headline number. The net source of job growth was the 16-19 year-old cohort (even after seasonal adjustment that corrects for normal summer hiring). Employment among workers over 20 years of age actually fell, with a 136,000 plunge in the 25-54 year-old cohort offset by gains in the number of workers over the age of 55. Among those counted as employed, 277,000 workers shifted to the classification “Part-time for economic reasons: slack work or business conditions.”

Permabears?

Hussman has been labeled a "permabear". So have I. So has Dave Rosenberg. So have many others. It only seems that way. The reality is Hussman, I, and Rosenberg were bullish at the March 2009 bottom.

However, the market shot up so far, so fast, that valuations became quickly stretched.

I cannot speak for the others, but I surely underestimated the effect of global coordinated liquidity move by central bankers virtually everywhere (US, EU, UK, China, Australia, Canada, etc.).

The result was we had a 10-year stock market rally in three years. Those patting themselves on the back for their "no recession" call were correct only because of  a massive coordinated liquidity pump by central bankers worldwide.

Unless the "no recession" callers specifically counted on that, then they were lucky with their forecast.

What about now?

What if the Fed Throws a QE3 and Nobody Comes?
 What if stock market valuations reach typical bear market valuations?
 What if a recession is really at hand?

I do not believe the Fed is in control. Such ideas are a myth.

If the Fed could prevent recession we would never have them. Yet we do, don't we?

The fact of the matter is Fed tail-chasing policies combined with fractional reserve lending and moral-hazard bailouts have amplified the crest and trough  of every boom and bust.

Deep Problems

Hussman comments ...

Our economic problems run far deeper than what can be healed by more reckless bubble-blowing by the Federal Reserve. At the center of global economic turmoil is a mountain of bad debt that was extended on easy terms by weakly regulated lenders with a government safety net. Global leaders have done all they can to protect the lenders at the expense of the public – to make good on the bond contracts of mismanaged financial institutions by breaking the social contracts with their own citizens. The limit of this unprincipled madness is being reached.

The way out is to restructure bad debt instead of rescuing it. Particularly in Europe, this will require numerous financial institutions to go into receivership, where stock will be wiped out, unsecured bonds will experience losses, senior bondholders will get a haircut on the value of their obligations, and loan balances will be written down. Bank depositors, meanwhile, will not lose a dime, except in countries where the sovereign is also at risk of default. Even there, depositors will probably not lose any more than they would if they held sovereign debt directly. In the U.S., the pressing need continues to be mortgage restructuring, and an emerging recession is likely to bring that issue back to the forefront, as roughly one-third of U.S. mortgages exceed the value of the home itself

Recognizing the Limits of Madness

I agree. The key statement is "The limit of this unprincipled madness is being reached."

The problem is not only recognizing the limits of "unprincipled madness" but also recognizing the market's willingness to play along. It always lasts longer than one thinks possible.

At the end of the line, every possible person is sucked into belief current conditions can go on forever. We saw that in the 2000 dot-com bubble, the housing bubble, the commercial real estate bubble that followed the housing bubble, and we see it now in the "Fed is omnipotent belief bubble".

The only reason we have escaped recession so far is the amazing effort central bankers and global governments have put forth to avoid what needs to be done. Congratulations to those who recognized this condition in advance.

However, no credit can be given to those with the misguided belief such policies and efforts will last perpetually. The end of the line always comes.

No Decoupling

There was no decoupling in 2008 and there will be no reverse decoupling now. For further discussion please see Will the US Economy Continue to Decouple From the Rest of the World?

Recession Has Begun

In this case, the data speaks for itself. We are at the end of the line. The recession is not coming, it is not down the road, it is not likely, it is not at even at-hand.

Rather, the recession has begun. Fiscal stimulus from Congress is not coming and no amount of QE is going to stop it.

Mike "Mish" Shedlock
 http://globaleconomicanalysis.blogspot.com
Click Here To Scroll Thru My Recent Post List

Read more: http://globaleconomicanalysis.blogspot.com/2012/07/case-for-us-recession-and-global.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+MishsGlobalEconomicTrendAnalysis+%28Mish%27s+Global+Economic+Trend+Analysis%29&utm_content=Google+Reader#ixzz20JeDfHWB

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #781 on: July 11, 2012, 06:22:02 AM »

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #782 on: July 12, 2012, 11:46:34 AM »

"The Use Of Temps Is Outpacing Outright New Hirings By A 10-To-1 Ratio"
Submitted by Tyler Durden on 07/11/2012 19:03 -0400

David Rosenberg

New Normal

For many months, if not years, we have been beating the drum on what we believe is the most hushed, but significant story in the metamorphosis of the US labor pool under the New Normal, one which has nothing to with quantity considerations, which can easily be fudged using seasonal and birth death adjustments, and other statistical "smoothing" but with quality of jobs: namely America's transformation to a part-time worker society. Today, one of the very few economists we respect, David Rosenberg, pick up on this theme when he says in his daily letter that "the use of temps is outpacing outright new hirings by a 10-to-1 ratio." And unlike in the old normal, or even as recently as 2011, temp hires are no longer a full-time gateway position: "Moreover, according to a Manpower survey, 30% of temporary staffing this year has led to permanent jobs, down from 45% in 2011.... In today's world, the reliance on temp agencies is akin to "just in time" employment strategies." Everyone's skillset is now a la carte in the form of self-employed mini S-Corps, for reason that Charles Hugh Smith explained perfectly well in "Dear Person Seeking a Job: Why I Can't Hire You." Sadly, that statistic summarizes about everything there is to know about the three years of "recovery" since the recession "ended" some time in 2009.

From Gluskin Sheff

More on that Payroll Report

The more we sift through it, the more we didn't like it. Even with the bump in June hours worked and average weekly earnings, the reality is that the Q2 results for both slowed markedly. The economy has hit stall speed yet again — the third time in the past three years.

On top of that, some other details in the data were disturbing. The ranks of the unemployed rose 29k on top of a 220k surge in May. Those who were unemployed and just completed temporary work soared 218k after a 137k increase in May to stand at the highest level since November 2010 (right when QE2 began!). The total pool of available labour jumped 258k to 19.3 million which means that there is now but one job opening for every six people out there who are either actively or passively looking for work. No wonder wage pressures are fading fast.

There are some pundits who believe that the +25k pickup in temp agency employment is a good sign since in the past this sector acted as a leading indicator for job creation... if only we can bring back those old days. In today's world, the reliance on temp agencies is akin to "just in time" employment strategies — the use of temps is outpacing outright new hirings by a 10-to-1 ratio. The reality is that few businesses want to commit and this shows through in the Household Survey as well with part-time employment in an uptrend and full-time in a downtrend. Moreover, according to a Manpower survey, 30% of temporary staffing this year has led to permanent jobs, down from 45% in 2011.

As this all relates to the upcoming U.S. election, there are some more interesting tidbits to chew on. Looking at the social groupings in the data, we see that since President °barna moved into the White House in January 2009, the unemployment rate for African Americans has climbed to 14.4% from 12.7%, the unemployment rate for Hispanics has risen to 11% from 10%, the unemployment rate for women has risen to 8% from 7%, and the unemployment rate for youth (20 to 24 years old) has jumped from 12.4% to 13.7%. By and large, these were the segments of the popu}ation that helped President Obama win in that historic election in November 2008. The Reaganesque' question that must be posed is: Are these folks better off than they were four years ago?

Average:
Your rating: None Average: 5 (15 votes)

www.zerohedge.com

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #783 on: July 13, 2012, 06:13:41 AM »
Small-business confidence drops to lowest level in eight months
 Hotair ^ | 07/11/2012 | Ed Morrissey

Posted on Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Yesterday, Barack Obama responded to criticism of his plan to hike taxes on those earning as little as $250,000 a year --- a class which includes a large number of small-business owners --- by claiming that those entrepreneurs have no greater friend than the current President. He pointed to a number of tax breaks and credits he championed for small businesses, and dismissed the effects of hiking their taxes now:

Now, we can already anticipate — we know what those who are opposed to letting the high-end tax cuts expire will say. They’ll say that we can’t tax “job creators.” And they'll try to explain how this would be bad for small businesses.

Let me tell you, the folks who create most new jobs in America are America’s small business owners. And I've cut taxes for small business owners 18 times since I've been in office. (Applause.) I’ve also asked Congress repeatedly to pass new tax cuts for entrepreneurs who hired new workers and raised their workers’ wages.

But here's the thing that you have to remember. The proposal I make today would extend these tax cuts for 97 percent of all small business owners in America. In other words, 97 percent of small businesses fall under the $250,000 threshold. (Applause.) So this isn’t about taxing job creators, this is about helping job creators.

Apparently, job creators aren't buying that argument. The latest report from the National Federation of Independent Business shows a drop in optimism to the lowest level in eight months among small-business owners, and the inclination to hire falling even further:

The National Federation of Independent Business’s Small Business Optimism Index fell to 91.4 in June, down 3 points from May, according to data released Tuesday. Economists had predicted a milder fall to 93.

A sub-index that tracks expectations about economic and business conditions over the next six months sank eight percentage points to -10%, after rising three points to -2% in May. (Overall optimism slipped in May, but only slightly.) Another sub-index that tracks plans to hire dropped three percentage points to 3% in June after rising one percentage point in May.

Small businesses said “weak sales” were their most pressing problem and that they weren’t adding a lot of jobs and not planning to in coming months. “After a somewhat promising start, owner optimism has reversed trend solidly,” the NFIB’s chief economist William Dunkelberg said. “The June results were an economic downer.”

The NFIB notes that confidence dropped in nine out of ten categories — with credit being the only upside:

There was no good news in the June survey. The Small Business Optimism Index posted a decline of 3 points, falling to 91.4. This is a clear indication of slow growth. Only one of the ten Index components improved, expected credit conditions. Labor market indicators, spending plans for capital equipment and inventories took a drubbing, accounting for about 40% of the decline. Neither the Supreme Court’s decision on healthcare nor the highway spending bill effects are included in the June data….

The 10 Index questions lost a total of 30 percentage point in net favorable responses. The impact of the SCOTUS decision on health care will show up in the July survey as it occurred late in the month, ditto for the transportation bill which didn’t make much of a news splash. The health care decision was probably not what most owners expected, so “disappointment” over that will be reflected in the July survey responses. With over 20 new taxes ($800 billion) and most of the regulations yet to be written by HHS, the implications for employee costs remain unclear.

Pile onto that a President looking for a tax hike down to the $250K level, and it’s no wonder small businesses are feeling a lot more pessimistic. Given that even Obama acknowledges that the engine of job creation is small business, one might think that a President who needs to start seeing better jobs reports ASAP would try to reduce the fiscal and regulatory burdens that these entrepreneurs face rather than escalate them. Unfortunately, Obama seems more inclined to play class-warfare games than to get job creation back on track — and these small business owners know it.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #785 on: July 13, 2012, 06:49:44 AM »
Jim Powell, Contributor

I cover economic and political history.

Follow(15)

Op/Ed

7/10/2012 @ 4:22PM |2,605 views

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jimpowell/2012/07/10/why-long-term-unemployment-has-doubled-under-president-obama

Why Long-Term Unemployment Has Doubled Under President Obama

"The media’s fixation on the headline unemployment rate has obscured the soaring number of long-term jobless." (Image credit: Getty Images via @daylife)

The media has focused on prolonged unemployment over 8 percent, while generally downplaying a shocker: the soaring number of people unemployed for more than 6 months.

According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, back in January 2009 when Barack Obama was sworn in, there were 2.6 million people unemployed for more than 6 months.  By June 2012, the ranks of the long-term jobless soared more than 100 percent to 5.3 million.

President Obama has promoted long-term unemployment by adopting policies that make it harder and more expensive for employers to hire people.  He has relentlessly pushed for higher taxes, higher energy costs, compulsory unionism and, of course, Obamacare.  One doesn’t need a Harvard degree to figure out that when government makes hiring more difficult and expensive, there’s likely to be less of it.

Obama’s policy of extending and re-extending unemployment benefits is another culprit.  Many academic studies show how unemployment benefits undermine the urgency of finding a job.  People can afford to be more picky, and as a result they’re out of work longer.  But the longer they’re out of work, the more out of touch they’re likely to be and the harder to find a another job.

From an employer’s point of view, it’s always difficult to determine whether a job seeker will be able to do what he or she is supposed to.  Calling references often doesn’t reveal much, since an employer might be sued for making candid comments about a former employee’s performance.  An employer might be willing to confirm only that a particular individual was an employee at the firm.  Moreover, many washouts have had glowing resumes.  It’s no wonder employers seem to feel more comfortable making an offer to somebody who has a job rather than somebody who lost a job.

As extended unemployment benefits finally expired, large numbers of out-of-work people have applied for Social Security disability benefits.

Stephen Goss, Chief Actuary of the Social Security Administration acknowledged that “when people become unemployed, they seek a way to continue having income.  So, we had an increase in the number of applications and the number of people receiving benefits.”

The Social Security Administration reported that in May 2012, the latest period for which statistics are available, more than 10 million people were receiving disability benefits at an annual rate of about $130 billion.  These people, incidentally, aren’t counted among the unemployed – another way the unemployment rate under-states the severity of our current crisis.

Reportedly many of the applications for disability benefits have been based on claimed mental illness.  It’s difficult to independently verify such claims.  Even when a claim is about a physical condition, there is no medical test for pain – doctors must rely on what patients report.  During the last calendar year, there were 2.9 million applications, and about 35 percent were awarded benefits.

To the extent that disability benefits create incentives to exaggerate real or imagined problems like mental illness, they’re surely making people even less employable than they were before.

In addition, by signing up for extended unemployment benefits and disability benefits, large numbers of people have created a forbidding “hole” in their resume.  Many employers might wonder whether an applicant with such a hole was in prison during the unexplained time.  If an applicant doesn’t volunteer a convincing explanation, an employer might be reluctant to ask, since the result could be an anti-discrimination lawsuit.

No surprise, then, that disability benefits are a factor reducing participation in the labor market.  MIT economist David H. Autor pointed out that “the program provides strong incentives to applicants and beneficiaries to remain out of the labor force permanently.”

The surge of disability claims has caused financial problems for the government, too.  According to Autor, “the program’s expenditures on cash transfers and medical benefits – exceeding $1,500 per U.S. household – are extremely high and growing unsustainably.”

The 2012 annual report of Social Security trustees acknowledged as much: “The Disability Insurance (DI) program satisfies neither the long-range test nor the short-range test [of solvency]. The Trustees project trust fund exhaustion in 2016, two years earlier than projected last year.”

The issue isn’t whether some people need a helping hand.  The issue is how government programs create perverse incentives that multiply rather than solving problems.

Jim Powell, a Senior Fellow at the Cato Institute, is the author of FDR’s Folly, Bully Boy, Wilson’s War, Greatest Emancipations, Gnomes of Tokyo, The Triumph of Liberty and other books.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #786 on: July 13, 2012, 06:27:51 PM »
Free Republic
Browse · Search   Pings · Mail   News/Activism
Topics · Post Article
Skip to comments.

Consumers gloomier on jobs, finances
Yahoo Finance ^ | July 13,2012 | Leah Schnurr and Jason Lange
Posted on July 13, 2012 9:22:52 PM EDT by Hojczyk

Consumer sentiment cooled again in early July to its lowest level in seven months as Americans took a dim view of their finances and job prospects, a survey released on Friday showed.

Separately, producer prices rose only slightly last month as energy costs dropped, suggesting inflation pressures remain muted and leaving the door open for more efforts to stimulate the economy by the Federal Reserve.

Consumer sentiment eroded for the second month in a row after a streak of gains that started in September and Americans' attitudes about their financial situations for the coming year reached an all-time low.

Analysts said that while the drop in the main index was disappointing, attitudes were still not as dire as last summer when fears of an imminent recession were high.

At the same time, however, "The lack of a rebound, despite some help from lower gasoline prices and a modest bounce in equities in the past month, raises the specter of growth remaining stuck at a low level for a while," said Jim O'Sullivan, chief U.S. economist at High Frequency Economics.

The Thomson Reuters/University of Michigan's preliminary reading on the overall index on consumer sentiment fell to 72.0 from 73.2 in June, frustrating economists' expectations for a slight gain to 73.4.

It was the lowest level since December 2011.

Only 19 percent of consumers expected to be financially better off in the coming year, the lowest proportion ever recorded by the survey. Americans were also gloomy about their longer-term prospects, with 39 percent anticipating their situation would be better in five years.

"You can't get overly concerned at the moment, but it's just an indication that the average household is pretty queasy about the current state of play and the U.S. economy," said Cary Leahey, managing director and economist at Decision Economics.

(Excerpt) Read more at finance.yahoo.com ...

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #787 on: July 15, 2012, 05:18:44 AM »
http://www.dailyjobcuts.com

hey let's all worry about Bain capital from 12 years ago!!!!! 

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #788 on: July 15, 2012, 08:17:02 AM »
In the dumps with the American Dream

We used to be ambitious and enthusiastic; now the new normal is malaise. Shouldn’t we strive for more?

By Tom Keane

July 15, 2012

In 1979, then-President Jimmy Carter told the nation he had detected a malaise in America, “a crisis of confidence ... that strikes at the very heart and soul and spirit of our national will.” That malaise arguably lost him reelection, with candidate Ronald Reagan forcefully rejecting the notion that America’s best days were behind it. Reagan’s optimism bested Carter’s pessimism.

Might the same storyline play out again this year?

It’s not President Barack Obama claiming malaise. Politicians have learned well the lesson from Carter’s loss: Voters will blame leaders, not themselves, for such talk. Nevertheless, as suggested by a fascinating recent poll from Anderson Robbins Research, the Great Recession of 2008 has exacted a terrible cost on the country, one measured by Americans’ feelings of confidence and hope. Anderson Robbins calls it the “New Normal”: a dramatic resetting of our sense of what, exactly, is the American Dream.

The national survey, conducted this spring and commissioned by local communications firm Solomon & McCown, asked what respondents thought were the most important elements of the American Dream. Where once economic success and upward mobility would have ranked high, they ranked last in the poll. Respondents said they increasingly valued things such as good marriages (83 percent) and “a long and healthy retirement” (77 percent).

In other words, we just want to be happy.

And what’s wrong with that, you may ask? Nothing, really. It feels very European, a kind of inward-turning mindset where people get out of the rat race and focus on being content. But, to be blunt, America historically never was about being happy. For us, it’s been “the pursuit of happiness,” a phrase that is all about striving, not attaining. The American Dream required ambition and taking risks; it was about fame, fortune, and making things better for the next generation. No more, it seems. We’re all a bit frightened and ready to hunker down.

One can easily understand why. The 2008 recession was unlike any since the Great Depression. Vast amounts of wealth were lost, including homes and retirement accounts. And despite Herculean federal spending — and predictions of a much quicker turnaround — the recession’s effects have lingered. Unemployment and underemployment remain high; many people have simply given up, dropping out of the workforce altogether. Fifty-five percent of Americans feel personally scarred by the recession: 41 percent in Anderson Robbins’s survey say they “still have a ways to go,” while 14 percent say they may never recover. Indeed, the pollsters found that in general Americans now feel more “thrifty,” “determined,” and “worried.” Perhaps not surprisingly, we also feel a lot less “hopeful,” “charitable,” and “lucky.” Most profoundly, fully 59 percent believe that the next generation of Americans will have even fewer opportunities for achieving the American Dream.

The New Normal sounds like malaise to me.

One sees, perhaps, an opportunity for Mitt Romney. Pulling a page from the 1980 election, Romney might well seize upon Americans’ new-found gloom and blame it on the incumbent. “Are you better off now than you were four years ago?” was Reagan’s famous question, and one suspects that the answer to that question today would also be negative. If Romney could convey an attitude as buoyantly upbeat as Reagan’s, he might well capture the votes of those distressed at this new version of the American Dream.

On the other hand, where in 1980 the impression of America’s place in the world was defined by the ignominy of the Iranian hostage crisis, Obama can point to dramatic successes such as the killing of Osama bin Laden. Moreover, much of the power of the American Dream resonates not for those who already have done well, but for those at society’s margins. That includes immigrants, gays, minorities, and even women — and Obama seems rhetorically far more in their corner than does Romney (and especially the version of Romney one saw during the primaries).

Of course, all of this assumes that Americans really don’t want the “New Normal.” I hope they don’t. Europe is a pleasant but dull place. I’d rather the excitement, spirit and — yes — frustration of the old American Dream than a timid world where we’re all just grateful to get by.

http://bostonglobe.com/opinion/2012/07/14/america-new-normal-really-just-malaise/airGznEk32xnlST6BbgizI/story.html

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #789 on: July 16, 2012, 05:18:11 AM »
Economists less optimistic as early 2012 gains wither
 Fox News ^ | 7/16/2012 | ap

Economists say the sales and profit gains of early this year are disappearing, and they are increasingly pessimistic about short-term growth.

They also are gloomy because of the potential impact in the U.S. from Europe's financial crisis, the possible expiration of the Bush tax cuts in December, and the prospect of major cuts in federal spending.

A survey by the National Association for Business Economics released Monday also found less evidence of hiring, confirming the trend in recent monthly jobs reports from the government.

In the quarterly survey of 67 economists who work for companies or industry trade groups, 22 percent reported rising employment in July, down from about 30 percent in the last three surveys and 42 percent a year ago. On the positive side, only 9 percent said employment was falling. The rest said it was unchanged.

(Excerpt) Read more at foxnews.com ...

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #790 on: July 16, 2012, 05:57:53 AM »
OOF: JUNE RETAIL SALES FALL UGLY 0.5%
Joe Weisenthal|26 minutes ago|528|4

Ugly!

Retail sales fell 0.5% in June.

That's well below expectations of a gain of 0.2%.

It's also wel worse than a decline of 0.2% seen last month.

Excluding autos, the decline was 0.4%.

And excluding autos and gas the decline was 0.2%.

Click here to see the report.

This chart from the report shows how ugly the month was across every main category.

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/june-retail-sales-2012-7#ixzz20n1w5HzO

________________________ _____________

Hey - let's all worry about romney from 12 years ago! 

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #791 on: July 16, 2012, 06:35:57 AM »
Only 23% Of US Companies Plan To Hire In The Next 6 Months

Mike "Mish" Shedlock, Global Economic Trend Analysis|13 minutes ago|3|

Mike "Mish" Shedlock Mish is an investment advisor at Sitka Pacific Capital. He writes the widely read Mish's Global Economic Trend Analysis.

Only 23% of US Companies Plan to Hire in Next 6 Months; "Lights Out" Moment Coming Up
 ECB Advocates Forcing Senior Bondholders to Take Losses on Spanish Debt; What's It Mean?
 Loan Moratorium in Italy for Small and Medium-Sized Businesses; GDP Expected to Contract 2 Percent
According to the latest survey from the National Association for Business Economics (NABE) hiring over the next six months looks grim.

A NABE Poll Shows Fewer U.S. Companies Planning to Hire

Only 23 percent of the firms polled in June plan to add to staff in the next six months, the National Association for Business Economics said on Monday.

NABE's prior survey, conducted in late March and early April, had shown 39 percent of companies planning to add workers.

A July 6 Labor Department report, showed companies asked employees to work longer hours last month, even though they slowed the pace of hiring.

Among companies that produce goods rather than provide services, the impact was even greater, with nearly four in five reporting a Europe-driven decline in revenues.

Three months earlier, only about a quarter of total firms polled thought sales had fallen

Lights Out Moment Coming Up

This report is consistent with my report US Manufacturing ISM Contracts for First Time in Three Years; New Orders and Prices Plunge; Perfect Miss: 0 of 70 Economists Polled By Bloomberg Expected Contraction

Hiring plans are also consistent with the Case for US and Global Recession Right Here, Right Now.

All of a sudden, consumers and businesses alike are going to have a "lights out" moment where orders dry up, hiring dries up, and unemployment heads North.

If the NABE poll is correct (and it is certainly consistent with other data), that time has arrived.

Mike "Mish" Shedlock
 http://globaleconomicanalysis.blogspot.com
Click Here To Scroll Thru My Recent Post List

Read more: http://globaleconomicanalysis.blogspot.com/2012/07/only-23-of-us-companies-plan-to-hire-in.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+MishsGlobalEconomicTrendAnalysis+%28Mish%27s+Global+Economic+Trend+Analysis%29&utm_content=Google+Reader#ixzz20nBhCwLZ

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #792 on: July 16, 2012, 07:54:03 AM »
CHART OF THE DAY: Retail Sales Growth Is Freefalling, And Goldman Has Slashed Its Q2 GDP Number
Joe Weisenthal|39 minutes ago|0|

June retail sales came out this morning, and contrary to expectations of a 0.2% rise, they actually fell 0.5%.

This caused Goldman to cut its Q2 GDP tracking estimate from 1.3% to 1.1%.

This chart shows year over year growth in retail sales, and as you can see... it's divebombing.

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/chart-of-the-day-june-retail-sales-2012-7#ixzz20nVM9GTE

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #793 on: July 16, 2012, 11:42:15 AM »
All Of The Big Wall Street Banks Are Lowering Their Economic Forecasts Today
Joe Weisenthal|6 minutes ago|79|

Sandra Mu/Getty Images

That dismal June retail sales report is causing a mass GDP-forecast-slashing parade on Wall Street.

Here's Goldman's Jan Hatzius...

Retail sales declined by 0.5% (month-over-month) in June, while the consensus had looked for a 0.2% gain. Key details of the report were also weaker: non-auto retail sales declined by 0.4%, and growth in April was revised down. Similarly, “core”/control retail sales (ex-autos, gasoline and building materials) was weak, declining 0.1% in June. The weakness reflected lower sales across a variety of categories, including general merchandise stores, electronics, furniture, sporting goods stores, and health and personal care retailers. Merely food and beverages, clothing, and non-store retailers posted gains on the month. The report was a negative for our tracking estimate of Q2 GDP growth, which we reduced by two tenths to 1.1%.

And here's Deutsche Bank's Joe LaVorgna...

June retail sales were much softer than expected, which obviously has further negative implications for Q2 economic output. Headline retail sales fell -0.5% as motor vehicle sales were down -0.6%. Excluding autos, sales were down -0.4%, as there was broad-based weakness across the various subcomponents: furniture (-0.8%), electronics (-0.8%), building materials (-1.6%), health/personal care (-0.7%), sporting goods (-1.6%), general merchandise (-0.2%) and restaurant (-0.2%) all fell; gasoline spending was down (-1.8%), but this was not a surprise given the weakness in retail gas prices which over time is a positive for households. Retail control, which is the direct input used by the Commerce Department in estimating real GDP—it is defined as retail sales less autos, building materials and gasoline—fell -0.1%. This was after a flat reading in May and a -0.1% decline in April. Note that March retail control was up 0.3%. With respect to revisions, May was basically unrevised, but April was revised down: headline and ex auto sales were lowered -0.3% in April to -0.5% and -0.6%, respectively. The net effect of weaker than expected retail sales, inclusive of revisions, is less Q2 consumption which we are tracking at +1.3%. This is down from our previous estimate of +1.8% and causes us to lower our forecast of Q2 real GDP by another 0.4% to +1.0%.

Here's Nomura:

According to the Census Bureau, retail sales declined for a third straight month in June, declining by 0.5% following an unrevised decline of 0.2% in May and a downwardly revised decline of 0.5% in April. The weaker-than-expected June data in addition to downward revisions have lowered our Q2 GDP tracking model to 1.2% from 1.3% previously.

Via Reuters, here's HSBC:

Consumer spending slowed abruptly in Q2. Consensus estimates of GDP growth in Q2 are likely to be lowered to 1.5% or less, down from growth of +1.9% in Q1. Pressure on the Fed to provide additional monetary accommodation will increase.

And via Jim Pethokoukis...

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/wall-street-lowers-its-gdp-forecast-2012-7#ixzz20oQqpcx5

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #794 on: July 16, 2012, 02:10:30 PM »
Daffy's closing - 1,300 jobs lost - 51 years in business
 Crains ^ | 7/16/2012 | Adrianne Pasquerelli

Posted on Monday, July 16, 2012

Daffy's Inc., a staple of the New York shopping scene for 51 years, is closing its doors. The Secaucus, N.J.-based discount retailer, which had been rumored to be in financial turmoil, said Monday that all its stores will be shuttering over the next few months, as part of a company liquidation.

In a statement, Daffy's said it "deeply regrets that this action was necessary due to the impact on its business of the uncertain economy and weak consumer spending and a lack of viable financial and business alternatives."

The discounter employs 1,300 people and operates a total of 19 locations, all of them in the New York metro area, with the exception of one in Philadelphia. Eight of them, including a 17,000-square-foot Times Square flagship that opened only last year, are in Manhattan.

(Excerpt) Read more at crainsnewyork.com ...

________________________ ___________________

PRIVATE SECTOR DOING FINE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #795 on: July 16, 2012, 07:46:41 PM »
Skip to comments.

US recession fears as retail sales fall
telegraph ^ | 10:25PM BST 16 Jul 2012 | Richard Blackden
Posted on July 16, 2012 10:23:47 PM EDT by InvisibleChurch

The 0.5pc drop last month was marked by waning demand for goods ranging from furniture to electronics as Americans retrenched in the face of weak wage growth, a slowing jobs market and persistent fears over Europe’s debt crisis.

For the second quarter as a whole, retail sales fell at an annual pace of 0.8pc compared with an increase of 6.7pc in the first three months of the year when the country’s jobs market showed signs of improvement. With the consumer again cutting back, the report raised fears among some economists that the US could slide back into recession.

“The report offers no quarter for those looking for good news for the US consumer,” said David Semmens, an economist at Standard Chartered. Nine of the 13 categories covered by today’s report from the Commerce Department showed declines, with essential categories such as food among the handful to buck the drop.

Wall Street had been expecting a gain of 0.2pc.

The weakness of the report will bring into even sharper focus tomorrow’s appearance by Federal Reserve chairman Ben Bernanke before Congress....

(Excerpt) Read more at telegraph.co.uk ...

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #796 on: July 16, 2012, 08:18:01 PM »
Skip to comments.

Property tax first-quarter revenue down, seen sliding more
Reuters ^ | 7/16/2012
Posted on July 16, 2012 8:53:49 PM EDT by markomalley

Local property tax revenue fell 0.9 percent in the first quarter of 2012 versus a year ago and likely will keep sliding in the coming quarters, a report said on Monday.

Local property tax revenue, often the most important source of income for local governments, had firmed during the previous two quarters, the Albany, N.Y.-based Rockefeller Institute said. It noted that it can take at least three years to factor in a downturn in housing prices.

The fall in property tax revenue is much sharper with inflation taken into account. It was down 2.8 percent in the first quarter of this year versus a year ago, the sixth straight quarterly decline, the report said.

Any more declines in this vital source of revenue will hit localities especially hard, the report said, as property taxes accounted for about 74 percent of their revenue in 2009.

The costs of a wide range of programs, from education to retiree benefits, are rising just as the federal government is considering deep cuts in domestic programs.

"The housing bust that helped trigger the Great Recession was deeper and broader than any housing decline since the Great Depression," the report said.

Prices of single-family homes peaked in the first quarter of 2007, on a nominal basis, and then dropped 16.7 percent through the first quarter of 2012, the report said, citing a Federal Housing Finance Agency index.

(Excerpt) Read more at news.yahoo.com ...

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #797 on: July 17, 2012, 03:36:01 AM »
Free Republic
Browse · Search   Pings · Mail   News/Activism
Topics · Post Article
Skip to comments.

Canadians Richer Than Americans For First Time In History
dailymail.co.uk ^
Posted on July 17, 2012 1:47:06 AM EDT by tsowellfan

Americans may enjoy teasing and taunting their neighbours to the north but now the jokes on them.

For the first time in recent history, the average Canadian is richer than the average American.

The net worth of the average Canadian household in 2011 was $363,202 compared to the average American household’s $319,970 worth, according to data published in Canada's Globe and Mail last month...

(Excerpt) Read more at dailymail.co.uk ...

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #798 on: July 17, 2012, 04:51:11 AM »
http://www.cnbc.com/id/48193471

What happened to the "Summer of Recovery"?

garebear

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Never question my instincts.
« Reply #799 on: July 17, 2012, 05:06:12 AM »
G