Author Topic: Arnold owning the competition at the 1980 Olympia - check it out!  (Read 40916 times)

Zugzwang

• Getbig II
  • adirtyjob.blogspot.com
Re: Arnold owning the competition at the 1980 Olympia - check it out!
« Reply #50 on: January 05, 2006, 04:44:04 AM »
What's Mentzer gotta do with this? Coming in 5th he's outta the discussion regardless of Arnold. It should be about Arnold and Dickerson who's the man that came second.

Was Mentzer better than Dickerson? Better than Zane? Better than Coe? If not, then he wouldn't have won anyway.

That's the thing that everyone seems to forget; I think if usual bullshit like the Weiders wanted to 'punish Mentzer' was true, they'd have put him at tenth. The fact is while Arnold may not have been the best on stage (which most agree with), there were three other people between him and Mentzer, so even if Arnold hadn't been there, Mentzer wouldn't have been Mr O 1980. Would he still have quit with a fourth place and a no-show Arnold? Who knows and/or cares, but the guy was obviously on the way to his various mental episodes and this was obviously the straw. If he'd have won, perhaps things would have been different, but this isn't like Coleman/Cutler 2001 or Coleman/Levrone 2002. Mentzer wasn't second, and that's it. Either way, Arnold or no Arnold, he wasn't going to be Mr O.

What I'd like to know, and has never been explained, is exactly WHY Arnold came back in 1980? I hear he was promoting a film - how does THAT work, exactly, given how miniscule an audience pro bodybuilding has always commanded? I wouldn't have thought it would have made any difference at all, and in hindsight, the entire debacle is a major blemish on his pro career.
adirtyjob.blogspot.com

Lord Humungous

• Getbig V
  • REVOLUTION CALLING!
« Reply #51 on: January 05, 2006, 05:33:03 AM »
Arnie was smooth as sheetrock he should have never won. Another Weider travesty!
X

phyxsius

• Getbig V
  • Mini Getbigger
« Reply #52 on: January 05, 2006, 05:46:01 AM »
Arnold: " even if they are in better shape, i will spend one night before the contest and they will never win. "

I wonder how many nights did Mentzer spent with Arnold?
I am a mini beast

Mussolini

• Getbig IV
  • riding shotgun on the team Nasser War wagon
« Reply #53 on: January 05, 2006, 06:08:50 AM »
The only thing Mentzer had on Arnold was legs, Arnold killed hom in Chest, abs, Arms and Traps, Arnold had a bigger back Mentzer had a little more detail in his back.

As for Arnold Selling his sole, dont forget it was Arnold who helped out Mikes brother Ray and payed all his medical bills when he was suffering from kidney disease,
shotgun on the team

Slick Vic

« Reply #54 on: January 05, 2006, 07:04:00 AM »
God bless his soul but Mike just didn't beat Arnold THAT PARTICULAR NIGHT. My opinion of the only man who gave Arnold a run for his money.... Chris Dickerson. Arnold was a complete everything.

BigAlski

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #55 on: January 05, 2006, 07:16:53 AM »
I think it's important to look at the broader picture when judging Arnold.  Ya he was a young son of a bitch but in hindsight he did a lot to repair that.  Even his political aspirations are rooted in others, since he is so rich he doesn't need the money or fame. 

The fact is...Arnold did a LOT for bodybuilding, more than anyone else.  If his true naysayers had their way (movie critics that think his acting is shit) every musclehead would be stereotyped as a POS and a retard.  Even in pumping iron, you can see he tries to make amends with Lou's family way back and Lou did have some problems that would not have made him a good posterboy for bodybuilding.  He has been an exemplary spokesman for our sport and did the best he could.  At least he has attoned for his mistakes, unlike so many others.

3Dkiller

• Getbig IV
  • Fuck The New World Order
« Reply #56 on: January 05, 2006, 09:12:41 AM »
so arnie psyched this loser out. Mentzer lost it. He should have watched pumping iron and learnt his place, as arnold's man bitch. When bitches go crazy, they have to be put down. Arnold: " even if they are in better shape, i will spend one night before the contest and they will never win. " all this bullshit about arnold not being a nice guy, please , this isnt fucking kindergarten, competition is competition. who gives a shit if arnold wasnt in "his best shape" fact is arnolds worst shape is better than "Mentzers best shape " by miles.

mentzer could never look like the best:

you sure about that ? look at the pics above Mentzer is looking far better then arnold.
Arnold is just joe weiders Golden boy thats why he always win, its always the damn politics!.
TEAM WOLF

MikeThaMachine

• Getbig V
  • WTF Happened, BBing Is Dead. I Didn't Miss A Thing
« Reply #57 on: January 05, 2006, 09:52:38 AM »
Some people will never just give up and admit Arnold was the man and no one could beat him. :)
I

Howard

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #58 on: January 05, 2006, 10:56:09 AM »

He didn't look into Metzners eyes, not because he was afraid, but because it would make Mike even more angry by doing so.
Arnold was a master at playing mind games. From the breakfast scene in Pumping Iron where he just slams Louie and Louie lost the contest right there, to the backstage pump room where he just won't take his eyes off Louie to psych him out. Arnold knew how to get under peoples skin in order to piss them off, make them lose concentration or just plain irratate them.
If Arnold was afraid of Metzner, how come he's sitting there so relaxed? Just calmly waving his hand, but yet he's totally afraid that Metzner may pounce any moment? Yeah right.  ::)

Platz said that Arnold would win, because he is Arnold and just takes over when he hits the stage. I agree that Mentzer may have been in better consition as were some others, but as usual, Arnold took the day.
Arnold just had that presence and charisma, allowed him to be such a big Hollywood draw and one of the very few bodybuilders that could generate a following in braod audiance.
Having said all that, I would have given Mentzer 1st, Callender or Platz 2nd , etc

Slick Vic

« Reply #59 on: January 05, 2006, 01:36:18 PM »
Some people will never just give up and admit Arnold was the man and no one could beat him. :)
Very well said.  ;D

bmacsys

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #60 on: January 05, 2006, 02:01:58 PM »
Arnold owns nothing, and he knew it. You can see clearly in this pic that Arnold didn't DARE to look in the eyes of Mentzer.

Arnold was just a shadow of himself that day. In my eyes Mentzer won. Sadly that day was the day Mike Mentzer died.
The House that Ruth built

bmacsys

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #61 on: January 05, 2006, 02:04:57 PM »
1980 olympia winner=Arnold
End Of story.

The story is that this sport has no credibility. The better man has many times come out on the short end of the stick. And if you are a true fan of the sport you realize thats wrong.

WiseGuy

• Getbig IV
« Reply #62 on: January 05, 2006, 02:29:01 PM »
By the way assclowns, this pic says it ALL

Arnold=OWNED

>:(

The Luke

• Getbig IV
  • What's that in the bushes?
« Reply #63 on: January 05, 2006, 03:31:11 PM »
Politics might play a bigger part in this than we realise...

Aside from the obvious economic reasons and downplaying the conspiracy theories, Joe and Ben Weider (and the IFBB officials) might well have had reservations about giving Mike Mentzer the win because of something else, something potentially more damaging/embarrassing to bodybuilding as a whole.

They were happy to give Mike second place the year before ('79) against an immaculate Frank Zane, in '80 he was much improved: better conditioning; better posing; better presence and more mass. Whereas Zane was slightly off his '79 condition (he was slightly sunburned, blurred and a little reddened) so why didn't Mike at least beat Zane (3rd) in the 1980 Olympia?

So many questions???

Why did Arnold even enter?
Why on such short notice?
Why did TV execs refuse to air the finished footage shot by the camera crew (that were following Arnold around everywhere) on the grounds that "an obviously fixed show doesn't count as SPORT"?

I've heard it whispered by a former high level IFBB judge that leading up to the Olympia the Weiders discovered that Mike Mentzer was addicted to amphetamines. They weren't willing to risk giving the Olympia crown and thereby the ambassadorship of the sport to a man who might well spiral out of control at any time (which subsequently happened).

They did what they did in an attempt to protect the newly burgeoning popularity of bodybuilding from a major scandal. And no doubt they wished to re-exert their control/ownership of bodybuilding and the bodybuilding market.

Apparently, they were under the impression that Mike "would get the message and clean himself up" (apparently Joe's exact words). It seems Ben and Joe really felt that Mike had much more potential to go mainstream (movies, TV etc) than even Arnold (better looking, more articulate and more intelligent) and were confident that he could be groomed for greatness as a Weider Athlete. They could easily afford to offer him several times the income he was making from his mail order courses (advertised in Weider magazines) and thought he would be a better long term investment than Arnold's arrogant bully routine.

They knew Arnold was training hard (juicing) for Conan and had apparently already decided that should Arnold enter the O (always a possibility with a publicity hungry Arnold) that a tie-breaker decision in favour of Arnold over Mentzer would set them up for the mother of all Olympias in '81, which would go to Mike (presumably in another sensational tie breaker), with Arnold conceding defeat in a gentlemanly manner and endorsing Mike as his successor. (in exchange for a controling percentage of the IFBB pro contest promotion business)

About eight weeks out they found out about Mike's addiction... (which apparently wasn't much of an issue for an unhindered Mentzer) and voila! Arnold is in to do the O albeit as a dark horse last minute entry, the camera crew follow him and Platz as they prepare for the show (footage which later became Arnold's Comeback video when the TV stations refused it).

Arnold goes on to endorse Platz as his successor, the bodybuilding ideal: mens sana in corpore sano, Mike Mentzer is lost to the mists of obscurity.

Just another viewpoint to ponder, enjoy guys...

The Luke   

bmacsys

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #64 on: January 05, 2006, 03:57:46 PM »

Aside from the obvious economic reasons and downplaying the conspiracy theories, Joe and Ben Weider (and the IFBB officials) might well have had reservations about giving Mike Mentzer the win because of something else, something potentially more damaging/embarrassing to bodybuilding as a whole.

They were happy to give Mike second place the year before ('79) against an immaculate Frank Zane, in '80 he was much improved: better conditioning; better posing; better presence and more mass. Whereas Zane was slightly off his '79 condition (he was slightly sunburned, blurred and a little reddened) so why didn't Mike at least beat Zane (3rd) in the 1980 Olympia?

So many questions???

Why did Arnold even enter?
Why on such short notice?
Why did TV execs refuse to air the finished footage shot by the camera crew (that were following Arnold around everywhere) on the grounds that "an obviously fixed show doesn't count as SPORT"?

I've heard it whispered by a former high level IFBB judge that leading up to the Olympia the Weiders discovered that Mike Mentzer was addicted to amphetamines. They weren't willing to risk giving the Olympia crown and thereby the ambassadorship of the sport to a man who might well spiral out of control at any time (which subsequently happened).

They did what they did in an attempt to protect the newly burgeoning popularity of bodybuilding from a major scandal. And no doubt they wished to re-exert their control/ownership of bodybuilding and the bodybuilding market.

Apparently, they were under the impression that Mike "would get the message and clean himself up" (apparently Joe's exact words). It seems Ben and Joe really felt that Mike had much more potential to go mainstream (movies, TV etc) than even Arnold (better looking, more articulate and more intelligent) and were confident that he could be groomed for greatness as a Weider Athlete. They could easily afford to offer him several times the income he was making from his mail order courses (advertised in Weider magazines) and thought he would be a better long term investment than Arnold's arrogant bully routine.

They knew Arnold was training hard (juicing) for Conan and had apparently already decided that should Arnold enter the O (always a possibility with a publicity hungry Arnold) that a tie-breaker decision in favour of Arnold over Mentzer would set them up for the mother of all Olympias in '81, which would go to Mike (presumably in another sensational tie breaker), with Arnold conceding defeat in a gentlemanly manner and endorsing Mike as his successor. (in exchange for a controling percentage of the IFBB pro contest promotion business)

About eight weeks out they found out about Mike's addiction... (which apparently wasn't much of an issue for an unhindered Mentzer) and voila! Arnold is in to do the O albeit as a dark horse last minute entry, the camera crew follow him and Platz as they prepare for the show (footage which later became Arnold's Comeback video when the TV stations refused it).

Arnold goes on to endorse Platz as his successor, the bodybuilding ideal: mens sana in corpore sano, Mike Mentzer is lost to the mists of obscurity.

Just another viewpoint to ponder, enjoy guys...

The Luke   

All I can say is "WOW"!

bmacsys

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #65 on: January 05, 2006, 04:01:17 PM »

The Luke   

From what I remember at the time Mike seemed to get the most coverage in Muscle Builder and Power in the 1978-1979 timeframe. More than Robby Robinson, more than Frank Zane etc..

BigAlski

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #66 on: January 05, 2006, 04:07:29 PM »
Well even Mike admitted he was prepared to punch Arnold after his comment about Zane (which, IMO wasn't out of line, even though it was in bad taste).  I cannot remember ANY sporting event where someone punched another competitor in this manner although I am sure it happened.  Even in boxing I cannot remember an incident amongst champions.  So I suppose if he was jacked on speed and willing to walk up and punch another competitor he shouldn't be competing.

The Luke

• Getbig IV
  • What's that in the bushes?
« Reply #67 on: January 05, 2006, 04:17:30 PM »
Believe it bmacsys,

The Weiders are business men first and bodybuilding enthusiasts a distant second.

The source for this story was a guy who used to do some judging for the IFBB on the European scene and was involved in running the Irish FBB (RIFBB) and then owned/ran the IANB Natural federation for some time. He got to meet all the big names in the late 70's early 80's as they came to Ireland/Dublin for guest posings and seminars. He started the IANBF (Irish Amateur Natural Bodybuilding Federation) because he became disillusioned with the drug scene and the increasingly criminal element that the drug dependency brought with it.

Hence all his stories were "warts and all".

The Luke

Slick Vic

« Reply #68 on: January 05, 2006, 07:06:38 PM »
He won. Get over it!  :-*

Bodies

• Getbig III
« Reply #69 on: January 06, 2006, 01:43:40 AM »

"He said something to denigrate Samir Bannout that I thought was uncalled for. I passed on that, feeling Samir should have defended himself.

What did he say to denigrate Samir?  Did he call him a sand n igger or something?

Kegdrainer

• Getbig IV
  • team yeah buddy
« Reply #70 on: January 06, 2006, 02:04:44 AM »
He won. Get over it!  :-*

monster quads

phyxsius

• Getbig V
  • Mini Getbigger
« Reply #71 on: January 06, 2006, 03:41:10 AM »
Monster traps
I am a mini beast

Tubbs

• Getbig IV
  • Getbigger!
« Reply #72 on: January 06, 2006, 03:49:14 AM »
Wow, do you mean bodybuilding contests are fixed?! :o Great news...If it wasn't so, Dorian wouldn't have 6 Sandows, but 2...and Ronnie should not have more than 5. With those corrupted methods, the IFBB takes away excitement from this sport, what a bunch of morons.

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
  • Dumb people think Trump is smart.
« Reply #73 on: January 06, 2006, 05:59:23 AM »
Mike coulda shoulda woulda.....

But he didn't.

Karl Kox

• Getbig V
  • There's no Kayfabe in the business anymore.
« Reply #74 on: January 06, 2006, 07:11:03 AM »
He looked great at the 74 O but anyone but him should have one in 80.
he had small shoulders
saggy pecs
and skinny legs