Author Topic: Intermittent Fasting - Experiences & Discussion:  (Read 34046 times)

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
Intermittent Fasting - Experiences & Discussion:
« on: May 28, 2012, 12:29:23 PM »
There've been quite a few threads discussing the practice of intermittent fasting (IF) on Getbig; strangely enough, many of them on the G&O of all places.

For anyone unfamiliar with the concept, IF is a simple premise in which you essentially (typically) utilize an 8-hour eating window and a 16-hour fasting window per 24-hour period.
IF has received praise for being superior to conventional diet approaches - even for bodybuilders looking to optimize fat-loss and muscle preservation.

This thread is for anyone wishing to discuss any and all facets of IF.
Having never tried it myself (yet), I'm quite curious to read about the experiences, results, and finer details of those who have.

epicmass

• Getbig II
Re: Intermittent Fasting - Experiences & Discussion:
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2012, 12:37:14 AM »
I learnt most of what I know about IF from www.leangains.com

IF is the only method of 'dieting' I have tried that has allowed me to lose significant body fat whilst maintaining all my muscle, and sometimes even continuing to make small gains in strength/muscle whilst losing body fat and not using hormones.

I follow the typical 16 hour fast / 8 feeding window, although I don't follow the leangains macro nutrient cycling.

I would be interested to hear from anyone that has used IF whilst on hormones.

BigCyp

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2012, 07:17:16 AM »
FWIW

While cutting, I had days where through general busyness/travel I couldn't get down my mega 2400 kcals - so around 3-4pm I would literally stuff down about 2000 kcals worth of clean food. Mainly did this so that I didnt end up eating my muscles during the night lol, always woke the next day looking good so i'm sure it cant hurt.

CalvinH

• Getbig V
  • Spastic Tarted Cvunt
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2012, 07:39:11 AM »
In the last two weeks I went Tue,Wed,Thur on one meal a day.
lost around 8lbs,I would get very tired by the end of the three days and I felt flat.no pump to my muscles unless I was lifting or just finished.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2012, 07:51:11 AM »
In the last two weeks I went Tue,Wed,Thur on one meal a day.
lost around 8lbs,I would get very tired by the end of the three days and I felt flat.no pump to my muscles unless I was lifting or just finished.

What, specifically, were you eating, and at what time of day?

I think one meal per day may be a little excessive. Optimal results seem to be achieved by eating throughout the 8-hr window. One of my goals of this thread is to not only learn WHO has tried IF, but also to examine the finer details of HOW they used it.

There's a good bit of science to support the benefits of this protocol; even with regards to bodybuilders.
I just need more anecdotal feedback before being brave enough to try it for an extended period.

To many folks, the words "fasting" and "muscle preservation" don't go together. Although, the cascade of different mechanisms this method triggers seem to make sense - particularly the hormonal aspect.

The Bodyrecomposition article is also doing a thorough job of convincing me.

CalvinH

• Getbig V
  • Spastic Tarted Cvunt
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2012, 08:01:58 AM »

What, specifically, were you eating, and at what time of day?

I think one meal per day may be a little excessive. Optimal results seem to be achieved by eating throughout the 8-hr window. One of my goals of this thread is to not only learn WHO has tried IF, but also to examine the finer details of HOW they used it.

There's a good bit of science to support the benefits of this protocol; even with regards to bodybuilders.
I just need more anecdotal feedback before being brave enough to try it for an extended period.

To many folks, the words "fasting" and "muscle preservation" don't go together. Although, the cascade of different mechanisms this method triggers seem to make sense - particularly the hormonal aspect.

The Bodyrecomposition article is also doing a thorough job of convincing me.

Late in the afternoon...chicken and a salad
I was mostly going for weight loss,wasn't worried about losing a little muscle.after eating normal on Fri by Sat I filled out and looked good :)

ritch

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2012, 11:19:16 AM »
another fad you won't hear jack shit about in a little while...
?

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2012, 04:13:54 AM »
another fad you won't hear jack shit about in a little while...

This one's already been around longer than many fad diets.
Also, unlike its counterparts, the science coming out in regards to this one supports it, rather than discredits it.

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2012, 08:13:33 AM »

Also, unlike its counterparts, the science coming out in regards to this one supports it, rather than discredits it.

Kinda makes sense intellectually when thinking about how we evolved.

ritch

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2012, 09:54:39 AM »

I don't give a crap about the science. When I start to see guys who are big and ripped doing this, I will give it a second look.

There's not much science to prove the whole 6 meals a day thing, but it works and the best f'in physiques on the plantet have been built doing it this way.
?

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2012, 10:29:47 AM »
I don't give a crap about the science. When I start to see guys who are big and ripped doing this, I will give it a second look.

There's not much science to prove the whole 6 meals a day thing, but it works and the best f'in physiques on the plantet have been built doing it this way.

The best physiques on the planet are on huge amounts of drugs.  But who cares anyway, the topic is around first hand experience with intermittent fasting, not about someone randomly guessing it doesn't work.

Does anyone have the cliff's notes on leangains?   I've been there, but the data seems to be all over the place.
Y

ritch

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2012, 10:37:09 AM »
The best physiques on the planet are on huge amounts of drugs.  But who cares anyway, the topic is around first hand experience with intermittent fasting, not about someone randomly guessing it doesn't work.

Does anyone have the cliff's notes on leangains?   I've been there, but the data seems to be all over the place.

tonnes of guys here with shitty ass physiques who use drugs. Your "point" is void.
?

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2012, 10:48:19 AM »
tonnes of guys here with shitty ass physiques who use drugs. Your "point" is void.

My point is that the topic of the thread is intermittent fasting and asking for first hand experience.   Every post you have here is "void" and just trolling.

But, to use your own words, you're ony interested in it if it involves "big ripped guys".
Y

ritch

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2012, 11:09:25 AM »
My point is that the topic of the thread is intermittent fasting and asking for first hand experience.   Every post you have here is "void" and just trolling.

But, to use your own words, you're ony interested in it if it involves "big ripped guys".

Nice reply, or lack of one. I guess I should have entered the standard no homo so fags like you don't think I'm out for spank material. Fuckin' grow up please.

thanks.
?

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2012, 11:25:04 AM »
Fuckin' grow up please.

....says the guy who's trolling and offering nothing to the thread topic.
Y

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2012, 01:31:41 PM »
Nice reply, or lack of one. I guess I should have entered the standard no homo so fags like you don't think I'm out for spank material. Fuckin' grow up please.

thanks.

I see you're a new member here. Unlike the Gossip & Opinion, the Nutrition board is for serious discussion. As such, it is heavily moderated.
A quick glance at your posting history on this particular forum shows not one post consisting of anything contributing to the discussions. While that is not the problem, posts like the one quoted above violate the rules of this forum:

1. Show common courtesy at all times. Know the difference between a difference of opinion and a personal attack. Don't engage in insults.
http://www.getbig.com/boards/index.php?topic=62144.msg935828#msg935828

Please refrain from making these types of posts in the future.

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2012, 03:56:06 PM »
Tremble before mighty Monty!!!  ;D

Seriously though. Can't we all play nice?

On the topic. I'm starving. Haven't eaten since a light lunch at noon.

Thinking about Rotten Ronnie'e on the way home. Nothing makes me more vascular than chicken nuggets.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2012, 03:58:31 PM »
Tremble before mighty Monty!!!  ;D

Seriously though. Can't we all play nice?

On the topic. I'm starving. Haven't eaten since a light lunch at noon.

Thinking about Rotten Ronnie'e on the way home. Nothing makes me more vascular than chicken nuggets.

Dude, you've got to send me your recipe for the fried chicken tits made with coconut oil!

ritch

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2012, 04:56:41 PM »
I see you're a new member here. Unlike the Gossip & Opinion, the Nutrition board is for serious discussion. As such, it is heavily moderated.
A quick glance at your posting history on this particular forum shows not one post consisting of anything contributing to the discussions. While that is not the problem, posts like the one quoted above violate the rules of this forum:
http://www.getbig.com/boards/index.php?topic=62144.msg935828#msg935828

Please refrain from making these types of posts in the future.

seriously? I read much worse between members, you can't deny that, no moderator steps in. My post was pale in insults to the others.

Saying I have not contributed? Listen, this site is 80% ball busting. And I'm cool with that, not may threads are even serious, if they are, they end up in train wrecks and that's what most come here for. I know my way around the whole food, training, supps and drugs fairly well as I've been at this for 23 years.

So I unerstand you have a job to do, but if you ask of me to behave, then please do the same to every other clown who posts shit on this site.

Thanks.
?

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2012, 05:12:55 PM »
Listen, this site is 80% ball busting.

The G&O and Alphabet boards are for that.

We (including Ron) reserve the Training and Nutrition boards for serious discussion on their respective topics.

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2012, 05:37:33 PM »
Picked up Eat Stop Eat, which looks to be a book on IF but not by the guy who writes leangains.

I'll give it a read and see if it makes sense for me.   The trouble I have is that my window would end around 8, and that would ruin booze, so I have to see what it says here.....
Y

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2012, 05:50:32 PM »
The trouble I have is that my window would end around 8, and that would ruin booze, so I have to see what it says here.....

That's a serious roadblock!
 ;D

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2012, 06:17:01 PM »

That's a serious roadblock!
 ;D

No kidding!

I'm hoping the science isn't so exact!   The problem I have is that when I lean out, I get flat and weak.   I'm hoping something like this eliminates that.  I'm skeptical, but might give it a try.
Y

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2012, 06:24:25 PM »
No kidding!

I'm hoping the science isn't so exact!   The problem I have is that when I lean out, I get flat and weak.   I'm hoping something like this eliminates that.  I'm skeptical, but might give it a try.

Have you tried having a small amount of protein & fat with the alcohol?  Something like cheese?
: