Author Topic: The Clean and Press with Dumbbells  (Read 1845 times)

Crossbones

• Getbig II
The Clean and Press with Dumbbells
« on: July 26, 2014, 09:49:30 PM »
I was reading one of JPM101's posts and decided to do some research on db clean and presses. Heres a grimek article I came across.  Can't wait to go play with some dumbells at the gym tomorrow.

There are times when one just doesn't seem to have the time nor the desire to go through s complete workout, although he feels he should do some training. It is at such times that he must decide which exercise he should include that will benefit him the most for the time and effort he puts out.

Over the years many great iron Game figures have come up with some rather unique and beneficial exercises. For example, years ago when Bob Hoffman was pressed for time, even more than he is now, he devised the unusual compound movement that combined the squat and press-behind-neck. This exercise, when repeated in sufficient repetitions, produced many healthful benefits while still providing a good workout for the time involved. Others who tried it after it was mentioned in S & H magazine also found it an excellent movement to include during a busy schedule. On the other hand, lifters who wanted to stay in shape with just a minimum amount of training found that the clean and press movement supplied the need. Today this exercise is still the favorite among many who train with weights primarily for keeping in shape.

Sig Klein who ran a gym in New York for years was often pressed for time, and had to include those exercises that gave him the best results for the time he exercised. He reasoned that because it took more strength and ability to use a pair of dumbbells, the results would be equally as pronounced, consequently used dumbbells in his training almost exclusively...even to this day. Dumbbells do increase and pack greater power into muscles -- and much faster -- especially when heavy dumbbells are employed. Among his favorites was the clean and press with dumbbells which is illustrated here. His method was simple. He would clean a pair of dumbbells to this shoulders and pressed them overhead, then returned them to the starting position and repeated the movement. At times in his gym he would begin with a pair of 30s or so and work up to the other end where the 100s were. On other occasions, when he felt more energetic, he would work down for the 100s back to the 30s, and if you don't think such a routine doesn't work the arms, shoulders, back and legs, just try it an discover something unusual in exercising. Often by the time one gets to the 70s or 80s the arms and shoulders are so tight and congested, it's hard for one to move them.

Stanko and I have done the same thing in our old gym after we heard Sig had done it, which gave our arms and shoulders a terrific workout. To vary such a routine we would proceed to curl the weights up to the shoulders instead of cleaning them. This gave the biceps even greater work. With the light dumbbells reps of three to five were used, but as we progressed into the heavier ones, only single repetitions were done.

However, many years ago when I first walked into Sig's gym (around 1930) he stumped me with a pair of dumbbells...his100s. He asked whether I could clean and press a pair of 100s. I had not used heavy dumbbells until then so was not sure and told him so. He asked me to try and brought forth and awkward pair of dumbbells, each differently shaped. As I eyed them I could feel my confidence leaving me. I was capable of pressing well over 200 pounds on a barbell, but these two hunks of iron-mass looked too defying. Klein urged me to try. I grabbed one in each hand and pulled. One stayed at my shoulders but the other twisted away. Again I tackled them and again the same thing happened. I then began making excuses about the awkwardness of the pair and that I had not handled such ponderous dumbells. Sig came back with a classic reply, "A good strongman never makes excuses. He takes any thing that can be lifted, and if he can't lift it at that time, he trains on it until he does succeed."

His words contained sound logic. I pondered their meaning and, to be truthful, I never forgot them in later years.

Nevertheless, after a series of misses I finally got them to my shoulders and pushed them overhead. I admit that poor exhibition of power irked me. I then told Sig that I will come back in two weeks and do them easily. that didn't impress Sig, after all, he had heard such vague promises before. He shook his head nonchalantly and said something like, "Fine. The dumbbells will be here anytime you want to try them."

It was a little over two weeks early one morning, just shortly after Sig had opened the gym that I arrived, bursting through the door with such aggressiveness that it even surprised Sig. He was busy with some of his business clientele, so I threw off my jacket, took the dumbells from the rack and placed them on the floor in front of me. I grabbed each dumbbell and simultaneously pulled them both up to my shoulders, and then proceeded to push them then alternately in a see-saw fashion. By now everyone in the gym was watching me. And when I reached about 15 reps Sig yelled out, "That's enough. That's enough!" With this I replaced the bells on the rack and looked triumphantly at Sig who congratulated me for the fine performance, adding, "Now you see what a little practice and persistence can do." I nodded approvingly.

How was I able to lift these cumbersome weight when I failed rather miserably just two weeks before? Simple. On returning home I fashioned a pair handles to be used for dumbells, and employed them in all my exercises, in particular the clean and press exercise. After a short time the ability to handle them came easily, and all I had to do was concentrate on heavier ones. In any case from that day on I became a great enthusiast over dumbbells, and even to this day my workouts are done primarily with dumbells. The only time I ever handle a barbell is when I do squats or deadlifts, and this is because there are no dumbbells readily available to supplement this need.

I must also mention the fact that during the time I practiced with these dumbbells my press with a barbell also increased. Later I tried my best press with a barbell and found I could do 10 or 15 more pounds easier that what I did before starting to train with dumbbells...so dumbbell training is far superior for power than a barbell, in other words, it's easier to handle a single unit, such as a barbell, than two separate items, such as dumbbells.

The exercise suggested here by Sig Klein is truly a superb movement, and when one does it correctly and in sufficient number of counts, it gives the whole upper body a great workout. On the other hand, if you haven't used dumbbells very much, keep in mind that they are more difficult to handle than a barbell. For example, if you are capable of pressing a 225-pound barbell you may still have trouble pressing a pair of 100s...at least until you develop "the natural knack" for handling a dumbell in each hand. that's the real trick and a test of power. Consequently, handling heavy dumbells can pack power into your arms, shoulders, back and legs faster that a barbell ...because dumbbells require that much more effort. For this reason dumbbells should be, occasionally included in your training if you seek overall development and strength.

Light dumbbells can be taken along on trips or vacations for a fairly good workout, but heavy bells are out as you can imagine. During the years I traveled about posing for art classes in schools I always toted around a pair of screw-type dumbbells. Not having a car I traveled by Greyhound, so a 40-pound bag wasn't much to contend with even in this type of traveling. I did endless pullovers, all forms of lateral raises and other leverage exercises, but when it came to the legs and back these dumbbells were just too light. Later I decided to take four 25-pounders along. They put unusual stress on my suitcase, which by then needed reinforcement , but the heavier dumbells provided me with a much better workout. Later I started figuring that if I had four additional 25-pounders, that would really give me a workout...but when I added those extra weights I started having problems -- all kinds. To carry all this weight required a larger, stronger bag...but even that didn't last. Next I used straps and rope around the bag to "keep it all together" and to carry it. Carrying the bag also made it tough going. I had to change hands frequently, or carry the case on my chest. My low back and oblique muscles took on a new look from all the exercise and strain I imposed on those areas, but I continued regardless of the stress. In fact my side bending exercise improved to the the point where I could handle 100 pounds in the exercise easily. But there were incidents.

One time, as I handed my bag to the driver for storage, it nearly pulled his arm out. He tried lifting it but was unable to move it. He gave me a funny look and then somewhat facetiously asked: "What have you in this bag, a safe?"

My reply, attempting to be funny was, "Yeah, two of 'em."

He didn't think it was funny so told me to "load the suitcase onto the bus myself -- he wasn't going to rupture himself," he snarled.

As I lifted and shoved the case into position he eyed me suspiciously, then walked away sort of growling to himself. I knew that he was thinking. It happened before, so chuckling to myself I boarded the bus. A few hours later I reached my destination. As the driver opened the storage compartment, he unloaded the smaller bags and then seeing me standing there, half growled, "If you want your bag, YOU GET IT. I won't touch it." He was right...he wouldn't touch it.

The grin on my face may have irked him more, because as I grabbed my bag and swung it into position and walked nonchalantly away, I chanced to look back and by his pantomiming gestures to another driver I knew he was bewildered. I made even a greater effort to stand and walk straighter!

Somehow my suitcase that particular day felt lighter even though earlier I thought someone did pack a safe into it. The bag weighted between 235 to 240 pounds, and by all the belts and ropes around it, it was hard telling what it weighed or what it contained, unless one tried lifting it, then he was bound to get a surprise.

A similar incident happened in Chicago during the approaching 1947 Mr. America contest. Contestants from all over the country were converging at the hotel that served as headquarters for the Senior Nationals that year. A group of us were in the lobby, talking when a taxi pulled up and out jumps Eric Pederson and a couple of other Mr. America contenders. As they were paying the fare a couple of bellhops rushed over to take their bags. Eric and the others said they would carry their own bags but the bellhop insisted. Eric then handed him the bag and it nearly pulled him to the floor.

"What the..." came the surprised gasp from the bellhop's mouth as he walked away mumbling to himself. Eric and the other burst out in laughter as he grabbed the bag and walked towards the desk to check in. We walked over to him and asked what he had in the bag that nearly pulled the slender bellhop out of shape.

"Nothing but a pair of 60-pound dumbells," was his answer. "I gotta pump up, ya know, so I brought these along to train in my room," and he did with a lot of others who found out he had some dumbbells to exercise with.

That apparently was a good idea because that was the contest in which Eric tied with Reeves for first, and it took another ballot to break the tie. On the second count Reeves nosed out Pederson for the win.

Eric, some of you may remember, had terrific arms and shoulders as well as fine legs, and on trips he always toted some weights along. He always had fun when porters or bellhops wanted to assist him with this bag, though he always tried to avoid it. However, if they insisted he always handed it to them for a shocking surprise. Then they always looked back and wondered what was in that bag, never guessing its just weights!

In any case, next time you need a a little exercise and are not energetic enough to go through a full routine, try the clean and press with dumbells. Do enough reps but never less than six, and repeat it in three to six sets and I will guarantee that you will feel like you've had a terrific workout.. and you will have ... plus, you'll be reaping the benefits of healthful exercise.

jpm101

• Getbig IV
Re: The Clean and Press with Dumbbells
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2014, 08:16:43 AM »
The DB Clean & Press might prove too much of a challenge for a lot of men.  It's a learning exercise, in that time is needed to learn to do it the right way. That and a few are just not coordinated (athletic abilities) enough, which can most always be improved with practice (the more reps you do, the better you should be in about everything in lifting). This movement requires balance, quickness and timing, which can be improved by most. If you spend way too much time working with machines, using DB's may require that much more time to adjust to.

If interested, might suggest a very light pair of DB's, if starting out with this exercise. Going for higher rep, the C&P can prove a very good cardio movement..simply because the whole body will be involved in the lift...from the floor to overhead. Try doing one arm at a time while learning the DB C&P, to get used to the physical mechanics of the movement is another method used. More focus on each arm.

Another common way to do the C&P is to have the DB's resting on a bench/box/platform. Can power clean the DB's into position at shoulder height and than press overhead. There is also the DB Clean & Jerk, demanding more of a athletic effort. Either way, a great exercise to develop power, timing and quickness. Along with improved muscular development.

Good Luck.
F

jpm101

• Getbig IV
Re: The Clean and Press with Dumbbells
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2014, 08:54:11 AM »
An interesting added benefit when including DB C&P's (at times only DB cleans) is that guy's find it easier to lift and to put into position a pair of DB's when doing heavier DB benches or inclines. Not that much of a struggle as it had been in the past....spending time worrying if you can get the DB's up and ready for the actually bench press.

Seen guy's practice DB cleans sitting on a bench. A guy from Italy, I once knew, did DB C&P while sitting flat on he floor, legs stretch way out. Pretty powerful guy, at the tome.

Good Luck.
F