Author Topic: Do You Care?  (Read 1984 times)

orangeman

Do You Care?
« on: August 16, 2012, 07:20:15 PM »
do you care if people who are not immediate family or really close friends die? I couldnt care less if I dont know them. I do not understand peoples sympathy for people they dont know.

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
Re: Do You Care?
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2012, 07:28:21 PM »
 ;D

haider

• Getbig V
  • Team Batman Squats
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2012, 07:32:38 PM »
do you care if people who are not immediate family or really close friends die? I couldnt care less if I dont know them. I do not understand peoples sympathy for people they dont know.
Well, then you should. Its human to have empathy.
follow the arrows

HTexan

• Getbig V
  • Heath must lose!!
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2012, 07:39:38 PM »
Well, then you should. Its human to have empathy.
i think you mean sympathy?
A

haider

• Getbig V
  • Team Batman Squats
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2012, 07:52:02 PM »
i think you mean sympathy?
Cant have sympathy without empathy. I think sympathy naturally flows from empathy because if you REALLY are able to put yourself in someone else's position and think of their pain as as real as yours, you WILL sympathise with them.

Ofcourse its possible to not have sympathy while having empathy.. for example if someone gets caught doing a terrible crime you can empathise with their situation of being in a shitload of trouble while not feeling any sympathy for them.
follow the arrows

HTexan

• Getbig V
  • Heath must lose!!
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2012, 07:54:44 PM »
Cant have sympathy without empathy. I think sympathy naturally flows from empathy because if you REALLY are able to put yourself in someone else's position and think of their pain as as real as yours, you WILL sympathise with them.

Ofcourse its possible to not have sympathy while hqving empathy.. for exqmple if someone gets caught doing a terrible crime you can empathise with their aituation of being in a shitload of trouble while not feeling anu y sympathy for them.
wrong. Two different things. I googled and posted a link for your stupid ass. hope this helps
http://www.diffen.com/difference/Empathy_vs_Sympathy
A

haider

• Getbig V
  • Team Batman Squats
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2012, 07:59:39 PM »
wrong. Two different things. I googled and posted a link for your stupid ass. hope this helps
http://www.diffen.com/difference/Empathy_vs_Sympathy

Their definition is too technical. Besides, what makes this website an authority on the definitions?

I never claimed they were the same thing, did you even bother reading my post  ???
follow the arrows

hrspwr

• Getbig IV
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2012, 05:55:02 AM »

Yes. Not only empathy as previously mentioned but out of simple respect.
time under tension

bighead

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2012, 09:01:31 AM »

Benny B

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Ron = 'Princess L' & many other gimmicks - FACT!
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2012, 09:29:23 AM »

You suffer from Narcissistic Personality Disorder, and quite possibly some degree of Antisocial Personality Disorder as well.
!

Nirvana

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2012, 08:05:52 PM »
no one gives a shit. they just pretend to.

wild willie

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2012, 08:44:47 PM »
You sound like a friggin moron.

booty

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2012, 08:48:39 PM »
Well that's because you are a friggin nutcase/headfuck.

OTHstrong

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Jasher
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2012, 01:10:54 AM »
First you have to define the word ``care``.I am not bothered at all if some random person in China dies, however if some magical force (stupid example I know) approached me and said ``that guy in China is about to die but I will give you the power to decide if he lives or dies for a 100 dollars``I would gladly pay the 100 dollars and decide for him to live.

JOHN MATRIX

• Getbig V
  • the Media is the Problem
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2012, 07:11:38 AM »
no one gives a shit. they just pretend to.

I always am feeling like i have to pretend to..or thats somethings wrong with me cause i can be so indifferent. Maybe its more common than i thought

HTexan

• Getbig V
  • Heath must lose!!
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2012, 09:59:55 AM »
Their definition is too technical. Besides, what makes this website an authority on the definitions?

I never claimed they were the same thing, did you even bother reading my post  ???
youre a retard. ::)
A

haider

• Getbig V
  • Team Batman Squats
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2012, 10:23:42 AM »
youre a retard. ::)
You've offered nothing to the discussion, and you're calling me a retard. Tell me again how I said they are one and the same thing? Thought so, retard.
follow the arrows

HTexan

• Getbig V
  • Heath must lose!!
« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2012, 01:44:26 PM »
You've offered nothing to the discussion, and you're calling me a retard. Tell me again how I said they are one and the same thing? Thought so, retard.
I offered plenty.
I pointed out two different words with two different meaning your stupid slow bus riding ass confused as the same. Stop posting you're embarrassing yourself.
A

haider

• Getbig V
  • Team Batman Squats
« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2012, 03:45:27 PM »
I offered plenty.
I pointed out two different words with two different meaning your stupid slow bus riding ass confused as the same. Stop posting you're embarrassing yourself.
Five posts later you still have not answered my question.

You sound like a kid who once learned something in class, and upon hearing about the topic years later decides to jump into the discussion "guns blazin'" but only ends up making an ass of himself. So tell me, did you have to memorise the definition of empathy vs sympayhy in freshman psych? :D

Now, now, in your own words, will you offer an explanation? Or will you keep barking? Point out clearly how I said empathy was the same as sympathy. Simple question.
follow the arrows

haider

• Getbig V
  • Team Batman Squats
« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2012, 04:12:36 PM »
To move forward I will offer to summarise the simple points I was making, which I'm willing to admit maybe totally wrong.

#1 Empathy is the ability to put yourself in someone's shoes, and sympathy is a feeling of goodwill towards a person.

#2 You can only have sympathy, if you already have empathy for a person. Not vice versa.

On statement #1 we do not disagree. In statement #2, I have said that there is a pre-condition for sympathy, i.e. you must feel what the other person is feeling on some level before you can have sympathy or antipathy toward them. This seems like common sense to me, but you have taken issue with it. As it turns out the website you posted has a technical definition for empathy which totally separates it from sympathy. I don't understand how this is possible, so I presented my view as summarized above.

Actually, I can offer a counter explanation. It maybe possible to have sympathy if you have been conditioned by society to feel for a person in pain despite not really having empathy for them. My counter-counter explanation is that on some level you are still empathizing with their pain in an abstract sense, whether or not you can relate to the situation which brings about the pain.
follow the arrows

OTHstrong

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Jasher
« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2012, 04:15:25 PM »
FFS Haider and HTexan you guys are arguing over something retarded,  ???

:-\

haider

• Getbig V
  • Team Batman Squats
« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2012, 04:17:17 PM »
 :-[

Surely you must have some empathy regarding the situation I find myself in, considering you get into long drawn out discussions on the religion board  ;D
follow the arrows

OTHstrong

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Jasher
« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2012, 04:33:41 PM »
:-[

Surely you must have some empathy regarding the situation I find myself in, considering you get into long drawn out discussions on the religion board  ;D
8)    sadly enough  :D