Author Topic: Tore my rotator cuff......  (Read 3840 times)

GET_BIGGER

• Getbig IV
  • Peace and good genes be to you
Tore my rotator cuff......
« on: December 01, 2006, 12:41:40 PM »
F**k.........had an x-ray to see how bad.  Any of you have your lifting days flash before you?

Overload

• Getbig V
  • KO Artist
Re: Tore my rotator cuff......
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2006, 08:43:13 AM »
that sucks, how did you do it?

8)

GET_BIGGER

• Getbig IV
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2006, 08:48:16 AM »
that sucks, how did you do it?

8)

Playing tackle football.  Didnt even know something happened until about 4 hours later, then I didnt sleep for 2 nights.  x-rays came back normal so that is a good thing.

Nathan

• Getbig III
  • 5'11 185 lbs
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2006, 03:26:03 PM »
Dam that sucks I got my Knee twisted in high school foot ball is still acts up all the time :(
P

Swedish Viking

• Getbig IV
  • http://plunkan.blogspot.com/
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2006, 04:06:57 PM »
yup...just regained feeling in my lower leg and foot from herniated disc #10,000.  Also tore my ham one year ago, posted pics a long time ago, but don't know where they went.

rccs

• Getbig IV
  • Alma Matter!
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2006, 04:22:10 AM »
F**k.........had an x-ray to see how bad.  Any of you have your lifting days flash before you?
Wish you a good recovery!
S

GET_BIGGER

• Getbig IV
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2006, 08:10:49 AM »
Wish you a good recovery!

Thanks bro, it has been getting better slowly every day.

BDG

• Getbig III
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2006, 08:23:07 AM »
Thanks bro, it has been getting better slowly every day.

Hey, I wanted to chime in for a bit.

I dislocated my right shoulder in wrestling a LONG time ago.... I allways have had PAIN since then. But it came and went depending if I hyper extended it lifting.  I could NOT throw a baseball with any sort of serious speed, but I couldn't do that anyway......

I thought it was a torn rotator cuff, but it wasn't.
It was a torn labrum.

6 months ago I had arthoscopy(SP) and they removed the tears, and my bursa sac as well.
6 months later, I am 95% healed, I have 95% mobility and getting better. VERY little pain, only when I over do it a bit, and I am almost Exactly where I was at my strongest prior to the surgery.  I am pushing more weight on inclines then I EVER have, for I am comfortable with my shoulder's ability to hold the weight without getting injured..

BUT.. I would also like to inform you that if you had an X-ray.... Its worthless in this type of injury.
You need a MRI.  An X-Ray will not shor a torn labrum - nor a torn cuff..

When I had the MRI, They injected some fluid in my shoulder through my pec (I don't reccommend that at all, but it had to be done, and then they took the MRI....)

If you have the injury, I reccommend seeing a surgeon to see if they reccommend therapy or sugery. 

These types of injuries seem to linger. and only get worse.....
I can post up more about the process if you want...
I will say it did hurt the first week, but the pain does go away when you work it out.  The flexibility came within 2 months time...

OSC

GET_BIGGER

• Getbig IV
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2006, 08:31:21 AM »
Hey, I wanted to chime in for a bit.

I dislocated my right shoulder in wrestling a LONG time ago.... I allways have had PAIN since then. But it came and went depending if I hyper extended it lifting.  I could NOT throw a baseball with any sort of serious speed, but I couldn't do that anyway......

I thought it was a torn rotator cuff, but it wasn't.
It was a torn labrum.

6 months ago I had arthoscopy(SP) and they removed the tears, and my bursa sac as well.
6 months later, I am 95% healed, I have 95% mobility and getting better. VERY little pain, only when I over do it a bit, and I am almost Exactly where I was at my strongest prior to the surgery.  I am pushing more weight on inclines then I EVER have, for I am comfortable with my shoulder's ability to hold the weight without getting injured..

BUT.. I would also like to inform you that if you had an X-ray.... Its worthless in this type of injury.
You need a MRI.  An X-Ray will not shor a torn labrum - nor a torn cuff..

When I had the MRI, They injected some fluid in my shoulder through my pec (I don't reccommend that at all, but it had to be done, and then they took the MRI....)

If you have the injury, I reccommend seeing a surgeon to see if they reccommend therapy or sugery. 

These types of injuries seem to linger. and only get worse.....
I can post up more about the process if you want...
I will say it did hurt the first week, but the pain does go away when you work it out.  The flexibility came within 2 months time...

Hey appreciate the post, doc says give it another week and if it hasnt been getting better I will have a MRI.  Hopefully I am just gonna work it out lightly, take some glucose and hopefully have  a full recovery in 3-6 months.  Otherwise I will get it checked out further.  Im not gonna let this take away from my workouts in the long run, whether surgery or me making it go away.........lol

BDG

• Getbig III
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2006, 08:37:24 AM »
I would stop working it out for the week.... Do legs n cardio...  Anti inflam, and glutamine.

Stretch it daily, and perhaps, ice it......

Honestly, I fought the surgery for years, but it got so bad, I had to do something. So I saw a surgeon and she promised me that I could continue lifting post surgery as soon as she gave me the o.k.
She knew that I compete, and I was not willing to give it up, where as my ORIGINAL doc told me it was time to quit lifting.

I hit a PR on inclines the other day, without ANY pain or discomfort, SOOO... rest it, and if it is not better, have it looked at....  A few months is not a big deal to take off it it insures that you will not hurt your shoulder any more....

I only have 3 dots on my shoulder from the sugery, and I hope to fade them with Vitamin E and some sun....

But not a big deal......
OSC

GET_BIGGER

• Getbig IV
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2006, 08:44:20 AM »
Oops, I meant glutamine.........I also have been doing electrotherapy almost every night.  But when I workout...(extremely lightly always of course) my shoulder feels better after..so thats why I havent taken time off......maybe I should.

BigAnt

• Pros
  • Getbig III
  • What don't kill me...makes me stronger
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2006, 02:18:12 AM »
I hada full thickness tear of the left rotator cuff 3 years ago, had surgery, 100% better.  Partial tear of right rotator cuff last year, rehabbed myself (I do PT work)  You must do int. & ext. rotation work for stabilizer muscles and keep stretching.  Layoff all pressing movements for some time.  Try to work "around" the injury if you can, I used mostly dumbbells and machines, kept my reps a little higher than normal (15-20)  Do a lot of rear delt and scapula work...And remember soreness is good, blood and oxygen getting to the muscles for rehab, pain is bad, anything with pain stop it!   And ice it a lot to keep inflamation down.

Hope this helps

gtbro1

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2006, 02:22:03 AM »
  That sucks man.I strained my ac joint a few years ago and it has never been right since. I still cannot bench press without pain.

GET_BIGGER

• Getbig IV
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2006, 11:14:58 AM »
Glad to say shes getting better.  DB shoulder pressed 80 pounds last week for some reps, gonna try for 90 this week......so I figure Im about 75% healed.  Virtually no pain moving it around.....hurts a lil towards the inner of my shoulder if I tweak it just right with some weight, but I'm just going slow, staying with my normal routine.....going extremely light......and its getting better by the day, actually quicker than I anticipated.   

BDG

• Getbig III
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2006, 11:54:38 AM »
Glad to say shes getting better.  DB shoulder pressed 80 pounds last week for some reps, gonna try for 90 this week......so I figure Im about 75% healed.  Virtually no pain moving it around.....hurts a lil towards the inner of my shoulder if I tweak it just right with some weight, but I'm just going slow, staying with my normal routine.....going extremely light......and its getting better by the day, actually quicker than I anticipated.   
WHAT I WOULD RATHER SEE YOU DO IS:

Smith machine FRONT presses.  Lighter than normal = MUCH MORE SAFE than a dbell press.....
Then I would focus on side laterals if it doesn't hurt.. Perhaps doing drop sets...
Like.. Doing the 60s for 10 - drop to the 30s for 10...  For a burn.....

You have too much risk with dbells and too much movement for a recently injured shoulder..
Perhaps you could also focus on a hammer press.......  With a minimal of 8 rep range...... 
I would stay away from any ROM that aggravates the shoulder.....

OSC

GET_BIGGER

• Getbig IV
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2006, 01:18:09 PM »
Good post........Im gonna take you up on that. 

Jr. Franco

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2006, 01:29:58 PM »
rough man rough, be carefull and heal that shit properly
Aint a hobby, way of Life