Author Topic: Barber Shop Fined for not Cutting Woman’s Hair  (Read 6216 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Barber Shop Fined for not Cutting Woman’s Hair
« on: September 09, 2015, 02:47:27 PM »
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot. 

Barber Shop Fined for not Cutting Woman’s Hair
By Todd Starnes

But the barbershop is still one of those places — a sanctuary for manliness. Except — that is – in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania.

John Interval owns Barbiere – a high end gentleman’s barber shop in the town of Washington. The shop features leather chairs, beer on tap and Sinatra on the stereo.

The other day Mr. Interval was slapped with a big fine after he refused to cut a lady’s hair – $750.

The state’s Bureau of Professional and Occupational Affairs said he was guilty of gender discrimination.

But Mr. Interval says it’s got nothing to do with discrimination.

“I didn’t really consider it so much a discrimination thing as — it’s a barber shop — for guys,” he told television station KDKA.

Seems a lot of folks agree with Mr. Interval. Nearly 100 have signed a petition opposing the board’s ruling.

“I think it’s ridiculous,” customer Jeff Andrewson,” told The Observer-Reporter. “You can clearly see no women come here to get their hair cut.”

But the state says the law is the law — which makes about as much sense as a guy going to a gynecologist for a prostate exam.

http://radio.foxnews.com/toddstarnes/top-stories/barber-shop-fined-for-not-cutting-womans-hair.html?intcmp=hplnws

Al Doggity

• Getbig V
  • Old School Gemini
Re: Barber Shop Fined for not Cutting Woman’s Hair
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2015, 04:00:00 PM »
But the state says the law is the law — which makes about as much sense as a guy going to a gynecologist for a prostate exam.

But a prostate and a vagina are two different things. A hair is hair regardless of whether the owner is male or female. A woman who goes to a barbershop to get her haircut would probably want it in a pretty basic style- or at least a style that is common on guys. Assuming that's the case, what good reason is there to decline her business?

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2015, 04:06:19 PM »
But a prostate and a vagina are two different things. A hair is hair regardless of whether the owner is male or female. A woman who goes to a barbershop to get her haircut would probably want it in a pretty basic style- or at least a style that is common on guys. Assuming that's the case, what good reason is there to decline her business?

Hair is not hair.  Men and women often have very different hairstyles, lengths, etc.  Only way I could see this making sense is if the woman wanted her cut like a dude. 

Still, who the heck files complaints over stupid stuff like this?  What a bunch of pansies we have in this country these days.   :-\

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2015, 04:07:01 PM »
And think about it:  would you let someone cut your hair who is being forced to do so?  What kind of cut do you think you'll get.  lol

TuHolmes

• Getbig V
  • Darkness is fated to eventually be destroyed...
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2015, 04:28:12 PM »
And think about it:  would you let someone cut your hair who is being forced to do so?  What kind of cut do you think you'll get.  lol

Now you're talking about two different things.

The reality is that no, they shouldn't go to someone who wouldn't want their business. That's ridiculous. Like making people who are against gay marriage bake you a cake. Fuck them. Don't give them your money.

However.

Hair is not hair.  Men and women often have very different hairstyles, lengths, etc.  Only way I could see this making sense is if the woman wanted her cut like a dude. 

Still, who the heck files complaints over stupid stuff like this?  What a bunch of pansies we have in this country these days.   :-\

Wrong, hair IS hair.

A person has to be licensed to cut hair in a state. It's that simple. If you are a barber or a "stylist", you must pass certain amount of studies of both women and men, and you are licensed.

If a person can't cut both sexes, they probably aren't worth a shit anyway, but reality is that once you license something, you can't just decide I won't do it based on a sex of a person.

Fact: Barbers have tougher testing and regulations than food preparers.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2015, 05:07:55 PM »

Kim Davis is probably 5 minutes from filing her own lawsuit.  So there's that.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2015, 05:38:16 PM »

The reality is that no, they shouldn't go to someone who wouldn't want their business. That's ridiculous. Like making people who are against gay marriage bake you a cake. Fuck them. Don't give them your money.

However.

Wrong, hair IS hair.

A person has to be licensed to cut hair in a state. It's that simple. If you are a barber or a "stylist", you must pass certain amount of studies of both women and men, and you are licensed.

If a person can't cut both sexes, they probably aren't worth a shit anyway, but reality is that once you license something, you can't just decide I won't do it based on a sex of a person.

No, hair is not hair.  I don't care what the requirements are for getting a license.  In the real world, some places cater to certain genders.  What kind of idiot is going to force someone to cut their hair period, much less someone who admits not being good at cutting the hair of a certain gender?  This is ridiculous. 

Al Doggity

• Getbig V
  • Old School Gemini
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2015, 05:41:02 PM »
Yes, hair is hair.

Hair is not hair.  Men and women often have very different hairstyles, lengths, etc.  Only way I could see this making sense is if the woman wanted her cut like a dude.  
Like I said in the last post, if she went to a men's barbershop she probably wanted either a simple cut or a typically male cut. This is a picture of her:

It's a typical male cut. If he declined to cut her hair because she's female, it's discrimination.

Still, who the heck files complaints over stupid stuff like this?  What a bunch of pansies we have in this country these days.   :-\
Being refused service based on gender is not silly and does not make her a pansy.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2015, 05:47:07 PM »
Yes, hair is hair.
Like I said in the last post, if she went to a men's barbershop she probably wanted either a simple cut or a typically male cut. This is a picture of her:

It's a typical male cut. If he declined to cut her hair because she's female, it's discrimination.
Being refused service based on gender is not silly and does not make her a pansy.

I'm not really talking about whether this is discrimination.  Businesses that are open to the public like this cannot discriminate.  It's just friggin stupid. 

That is not a simple male hairstyle.  Are you kidding me? 

Irongrip400

• Getbig V
  • Pan Germanism, Pax Britannica
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2015, 05:54:14 PM »

However.

Wrong, hair IS hair.

This is what I've been saying this whole time these little incidents keep happening. Don't like their policy? Take your business elsewhere. What better way to show your disgust for their business practice than to go to a competitor. This woman was most likely fishing for this. Some people just like getting angry about perceived injustices.

TuHolmes

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2015, 06:02:52 PM »
No, hair is not hair.  I don't care what the requirements are for getting a license.  In the real world, some places cater to certain genders.  What kind of idiot is going to force someone to cut their hair period, much less someone who admits not being good at cutting the hair of a certain gender?  This is ridiculous.  
Yes, hair is hair.

Your hair is not special compared to anyone else's, and neither is hers.

Whether a business caters to women or men doesn't matter. They are not legally allowed to deny the other sex.

Yes, hair is hair.

Looks pretty unisex to me.

I've seen tons of guys with hair like that.

No way would a guy be turned down based upon that haircut.

This is what I've been saying this whole time these little incidents keep happening. Don't like their policy? Take your business elsewhere. What better way to show your disgust for their business practice than to go to a competitor. This woman was most likely fishing for this. Some people just like getting angry about perceived injustices.

Of course... She most likely was fishing... which is really why the person should have just cut her hair and fucked it up if he couldn't get it right.

She couldn't sue for a bad cut... she would just have to live with it.

Al Doggity

• Getbig V
  • Old School Gemini
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2015, 06:05:21 PM »
I'm not really talking about whether this is discrimination.  Businesses that are open to the public like this cannot discriminate.  It's just friggin stupid. 

That is not a simple male hairstyle.  Are you kidding me? 

I said that it is a typical male cut and it is. Any barber who cuts male hairstyles would be able to handle it.

Al Doggity

• Getbig V
  • Old School Gemini
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2015, 06:10:11 PM »

That is not the luxury of being discriminated against. It's not about establishing friendships or getting vengeance, it's about getting service without undue hassle. Maybe you think this is minor, but women pay something like twice as much for haircuts. Maybe she wanted to save money. Maybe she thought a shop that specializes in men's hair would give her closer to what she was looking for. The guy who turned her business away doesn't even believe he was discriminating even though his only reason for turning away her business was that she was a woman.

TuHolmes

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2015, 06:13:58 PM »
That is not the luxury of being discriminated against. It's not about establishing friendships or getting vengeance, it's about getting service without undue hassle. Maybe you think this is minor, but women pay something like twice as much for haircuts. Maybe she wanted to save money. Maybe she thought a shop that specializes in men's hair would give her closer to what she was looking for. The guy who turned her business away doesn't even believe he was discriminating even though his only reason for turning away her business was that she was a woman.

Washington, Pennsylvania seems a small rural place.

How old was the guy in question?

The comparison is stupid. Almost every single person has hair. If the artist formerly known as Beach Bum doesn't understand the difference, then he should take an anatomy class.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2015, 06:16:04 PM »
I said that it is a typical male cut and it is. Any barber who cuts male hairstyles would be able to handle it.

That is not a typical male cut.  

Not all barbers are able handle cuts like that and, again, why the heck would anyone go to a barber who expressly tells them they can't do it?  Absurd.  This is the kind of thing I expect from academics or bureaucrats who don't really operate in the real world.  

TuHolmes

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2015, 06:20:48 PM »
That is not a typical male cut.  

Not all barbers are able handle cuts like that and, again, why the heck would anyone go to a barber who expressly tells them they can't do it?  Absurd.  This is the kind of thing I expect from academics or bureaucrats who don't really operate in the real world.  

It's just a very high fade. Barbers do it ALL the time.

Also, why are you speaking for the barber?

He specifically said it was a Barber shop FOR MEN.

He never said he couldn't do the cut or it wasn't possible for him.

He said he did it because she was a woman.

That's the straight definition of discrimination.

"But Mr. Interval says it’s got nothing to do with discrimination.

“I didn’t really consider it so much a discrimination thing as — it’s a barber shop — for guys,” he told television station KDKA."

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2015, 06:24:42 PM »
It's just a very high fade. Barbers do it ALL the time.

Also, why are you speaking for the barber?

He specifically said it was a Barber shop FOR MEN.

He never said he couldn't do the cut or it wasn't possible for him.

He said he did it because she was a woman.

That's the straight definition of discrimination.

"But Mr. Interval says it’s got nothing to do with discrimination.

“I didn’t really consider it so much a discrimination thing as — it’s a barber shop — for guys,” he told television station KDKA."

That is much more than a high fade.  That's Kid N Play haircut.  lol   

Nobody is saying it wasn't discrimination.  I'm talking about how friggin stupid this is. 

TuHolmes

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2015, 06:25:47 PM »
That is much more than a high fade.  That's Kid N Play haircut.  lol   

Nobody is saying it wasn't discrimination.  I'm talking about how friggin stupid this is. 

That's called a high fade. Just extremely high.

Of course this is coming from someone who says hair isn't hair, so it's to be expected that you don't know the difference.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2015, 06:30:28 PM »
That's called a high fade. Just extremely high.

Of course this is coming from someone who says hair isn't hair, so it's to be expected that you don't know the difference.

It's not just a high fade.  It's a cartoonish fade. 

But this is coming from someone who says some of the most naïve things I've read on the board. 

TuHolmes

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2015, 06:33:00 PM »
It's not just a high fade.  It's a cartoonish fade. 

But this is coming from someone who says some of the most naïve things I've read on the board. 

Sorry There Beach, if you ask my brother the Barber, he says it's a high fade.

You can go ahead and keep dreaming your dream land, but really, the only person who takes you seriously on the board is you.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2015, 06:34:25 PM »
Sorry There Beach, if you ask my brother the Barber, he says it's a high fade.

You can go ahead and keep dreaming your dream land, but really, the only person who takes you seriously on the board is you.

I don't give a rip who you ask. 

I don't take myself seriously, so you're wrong about pretty much everything.   :)

TuHolmes

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2015, 06:35:29 PM »
I don't give a rip who you ask. 

I don't take myself seriously, so you're wrong about pretty much everything.   :)

Coming from you, I will take it as a compliment. If you thought I was right, I would question my sanity.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2015, 06:37:33 PM »
Coming from you, I will take it as a compliment. If you thought I was right, I would question my sanity.

Oh I know exactly how you feel.  lol 

TuHolmes

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2015, 06:39:12 PM »
Oh I know exactly how you feel.  lol 
You certainly do laugh a lot at nothing.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: September 09, 2015, 06:40:55 PM »
You certainly do laugh a lot at nothing.

I most certainly do.  Especially at you.   ;D  But that's how happy folks roll.