Author Topic: NBA to test for HGH starting in the 2013-14 season  (Read 1732 times)

AlphaMaleDawg

• Getbig IV
NBA to test for HGH starting in the 2013-14 season
« on: March 08, 2013, 10:24:01 AM »
The NBA and National Basketball Players Association are close to an agreement to test players' blood for human growth hormone (HGH), according to sources with direct knowledge of the talks. Testing could begin as soon as the 2013-14 season.

The NBA has long had HGH on its list of banned substances, but has never tested for it, because doing so means collecting players' blood, which the union has never allowed, and because there was little agreement about the test's reliability.

But those concerns have eroded lately, sources say, with a frenzy of progress in talks between the league and union. A decisive factor: Major League Baseball and its respected union have agreed to blood tests for HGH, weakening the basketball union's claims that the test was unreliable or that blood testing is too invasive.

Terms of the 2011 NBA collective bargaining agreement created a committee to hash out the particulars of HGH testing. Progress had been slow, until recently.

There has also been pressure from the World Anti-Doping Agency, which chided the NBA for "gaps" in their testing program last fall, as well as the U.S. Congress. In late 2012, Rep. Elijah Cummings called delaying HGH testing over concerns about the test "incredibly ridiculous."

In a statement emailed to ESPN.com, Cummings elaborated: "According to the expert witnesses who testified at our hearing, there is consensus among the scientific community that HGH testing is safe and reliable. Since the NBA agreed last year to start HGH testing -- and since professional basketball players already compete in the Olympics where they are subject to HGH testing -- there is no reason to delay HGH testing for the NBA itself. My hope is that all our professional sports leagues implement HGH testing right away to set an example for millions of young athletes across the country who look up to them."

With the two sides agreeing in principle, over the last few months, to test players' blood for HGH, the more talks have been about the conditions under which blood specimens could be collected.

At the moment, NBA players are subject to six urine tests a year, two of which occur in the offseason. It is unknown how many blood tests will be added to the schedule, if that blood will be examined for anything beyond HGH, and if the blood tests will be in addition to, or instead of, urine tests.

A further complication had been that the union itself is in disarray, with longtime executive director Billy Hunter suspended for misconduct and subject to federal investigation. Staff attorney Ron Klempner is directing the union on an interim basis. Sources insist HGH testing can proceed regardless, and the union can and will implement HGH tests before resolving its leadership issues.

Those with knowledge of the talks say it is a foregone conclusion that HGH tests are coming, as soon as next season.

NBA commissioner David Stern predicted as much at the All-Star Game in Houston in February, saying "we have a comprehensive drug testing program that has a long list, probably a hundred or so, I'm not even sure the number, of drugs that are prohibited, including HGH, subject to an agreement of the validity of an appropriate testing protocol. And we expect that to happen, we really do, before the start of next season."

Until recently, none of the major north American sports -- MLB, the National Football League, the National Hockey League and the NBA -- made blood tests a major part of their anti-doping programs. This was in no small part in response to privacy concerns raised by those sports' unions. Athletes are not unionized in international sports like track and field and cycling where blood testing is common, and even extends to comprehensive measures like biological passports, which have been lauded by anti-doping experts.

Baseball recently led a breakthrough among major leagues by announcing an agreement to collect and analyze players' blood, not just for HGH but for other substances, too, including with biological passports.

Stern acknowledged last month that basketball lagged behind baseball in that regard.

"There will always be some kind of leap frogging there, as there was in 1983 which we were the first league to have an anti-drug program and dealt with a variety of things. So it's always subject to be improved," he said. "But together with our Players' Association, which I think has taken a leadership role here, I'm sure we will continue to improve it."

_aj_

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • The Return of the OG
Re: NBA to test for HGH starting in the 2013-14 season
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2013, 10:28:27 AM »
Expect Lebron to come down to earth next year.

michael arvilla

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • facebook.com/michael.arvilla
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2013, 10:30:26 AM »
Isn't there no difference from from naturally occurring HGH and artificial HGH?
(they would be virtually indistinguishable from each other)

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2013, 10:31:54 AM »
Expect Lebron to come down to earth next year.

lol he has better shoulders than dennis wold

Natural Man

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2013, 10:37:36 AM »
they accept to do tests that cannot detect the drugs they have in their bodies, they accept to warn everyone when they re going to occur and obviously all docs know how to go thru them, basically, a vast joke, but it will reassure the average fan after the lance armstrong scandal. Still all of them are on ped, just like in any pro sport. That's the way it works. Stern, everyone in the nba know they re all on ped and they all do their best to act as if they werent. Enough of the hypocrisy, only the average joe who has no clue about drugs or the kid, teen, will buy into it so will soccer moms. It's only a PR move to hide the truth.

None of them would play, move, for years the way they do without peds. And fans are hypocrits as they pay to see impressive dudes going at each others, to wear their jerseys, identify with them and so on. The hypocritical animal kingdom of men.

AlphaMaleDawg

• Getbig IV
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2013, 10:41:01 AM »
Yea this is just a publicity move from the league. It says nothing about random testing and doesn't HGH leave the system quickly when discontinuing?

Chadwick The Beta

• Getbig V
  • "Stop calling me by my name."
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2013, 10:47:52 AM »
i just hope they don't test for fried chicken and watermelon
K

Hulkotron

• Getbig V
  • I ate an entire box of popsicles the day prior
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2013, 10:49:40 AM »
It would be fun to see a juice-to-the-max LeBron on stage dwarfing all of these 5'6" bodybuilders.

arce1988

• Getbig V
  • ARCE USA USMC
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2013, 02:55:08 PM »
  a lot of nba on hgh

cswol

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2013, 02:57:42 PM »
the only people who will be tested are the ones who have failed before, its a joke

_aj_

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • The Return of the OG
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2013, 03:31:19 PM »
the only people who will be tested are the ones who have failed before, its a joke

Wait, so the whole program will just be repeatedly testing Metta World Peace over and over again? Hey Lebron...ALL CLEAR!

Nails

• Getbig V
  • https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jsi5VTzJpPw
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2013, 04:43:15 PM »
They will probably suspend one white guy every year just to say they are testing

Natural Man

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2013, 04:51:43 PM »
stern and everyone knows about the players ped use, they ll keep using they wont be endangered the least, keep in mind it s their drug use that allow them to impress with their constant physical prowess millions of people who will pour their money into stern and his friends pockets. People leading the nba would shoot themselves in the feets if they ever prevented their muppets, slaves, monkeys, excuse me "athletes" to use what allows them to bring the show everynight.

jude2

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2013, 07:53:15 PM »
The test is only effective if your draw the blood the same day as u injected the gh. IIf they give these guys one day notice like the do in the NFL u will pass, just don't inject.

el numero uno

• Getbig V
  • Clean your room, bucko.
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2013, 07:57:19 PM »
I'd say almost every pro athlete is on GH these days.

shootfighter1

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Competitor- NABBA Nationals Overall Champ
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2013, 07:06:25 AM »
Besides accelerating healing after injuries, I doubt using HGH would make any meaningful difference in performance in basketball.  Sounds like a waste of time to me.

AlphaMaleDawg

• Getbig IV
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2013, 07:11:42 AM »
The test is only effective if your draw the blood the same day as u injected the gh. IIf they give these guys one day notice like the do in the NFL u will pass, just don't inject.

That's what I thought, which makes hgh testing a farce

jude2

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2013, 05:39:41 PM »
Besides accelerating healing after injuries, I doubt using HGH would make any meaningful difference in performance in basketball.  Sounds like a waste of time to me.
I coach basketball and know alot of pros, and gh is the best supp for them. They play alot of games and it is hard to recover. Look at the sides on Lebron and D. Wades jaws are growing.

Wolfsanglerune

• Getbig II
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2013, 06:03:11 PM »
if a serum test of some kind is what they intend to use i doubt it will do them any good.it only shows high gh levels 2 or 3 hours after usually admin of 8 to 10 ius

jude2

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2013, 06:10:11 PM »
if a serum test of some kind is what they intend to use i doubt it will do them any good.it only shows high gh levels 2 or 3 hours after usually admin of 8 to 10 ius
Correct. Unless they are going to look at elevated igf also

AlphaMaleDawg

• Getbig IV
« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2013, 06:48:57 PM »
Correct. Unless they are going to look at elevated igf also

Well they are doing a blood test so I would imagine they would look at igf. How long does it take igf to go back down to normal?

jude2

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2013, 06:57:09 PM »
Well they are doing a blood test so I would imagine they would look at igf. How long does it take igf to go back down to normal?
Depends, but most likely 6-12 hours, so if they don't take a shot that day they should be fine. If the igf is slightly elevated they are going to say many things could have caused it.