Author Topic: Just for once a serious qustion about biceps training..  (Read 7611 times)

Nasty Nate

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
Re: Just for once a serious qustion about biceps training..
« Reply #50 on: September 04, 2011, 08:29:42 PM »
This is the way to go, if you're spending hours on dozens of sets you're not weight training, you're doing aerobics.

x2

Schmoff

• Getbig V
« Reply #51 on: September 04, 2011, 08:37:38 PM »
If you want a bodypart to grow.....superset it.

???

Hulkotron

• Getbig V
  • I read at least a dozen primary sources a day
« Reply #52 on: September 05, 2011, 12:46:30 PM »
32 sets of curls is the key to swole guns brah.

wild willie

• Getbig V
« Reply #53 on: September 05, 2011, 04:32:04 PM »
32 sets of curls is the key to swole guns brah.
Johnny Fuller style!

GroinkTropin

• Getbig IV
« Reply #54 on: September 06, 2011, 04:22:32 AM »
I haven't read the thread. Here is some things I have put together which have transformed my arms.

#1 Understand the function of the biceps vs brachialis and understand the value of each.
#2 Know the exercises to work three positions of flexion for your biceps- midrange, stretch and peak contraction.
#3 Know your biceps fiber makeup.

Once you know the above, then you construct a routine based on needs.

For example, right now I am focusing a lot on working my brachialis. If your biceps themselves are big but your upper arm is small, chances are your brachialis is underdeveloped. Look at Ronnie or Phi Heath, each has amazing biceps BUT their amazingness is due in large part to well developed Brachialis. Reason being, a huge brachi will push your biceps up!!! Same thing with calves, you do seated calf raises because your soleus muscle sits UNDERNEATH your gastroc. So, doing seated calf raises does not develop your gastroc it just makes it LOOK MUCH BETTER. You need a well developed brachialis much like you need a well developed soleus.

Getting your brachialis to fire can be tough if it's weak. Here is a tip- your arms and your legs are very similar in form and function-in order to get your brachi to fire you need to take biceps largely out of the movement. To do this you need your upper arm above/behind your head. Behind the head cable curls, behind head spider bench curls and cable crossover curls work best here.

It is easy to mistake forearm developing movements like hammers for being something that develops your brachialis but this is false. When doing hammers your forearms and biceps are prime movers.

Anyway, I am tired. Moving on. Hitting biceps requires 3 movements- 1 for midrange, 1 for stretch and 1 for peak contraction. Midrange is like barbell curls, stretch is any type of curl for biceps which allows your arms to cross the plane of your body (think incline db curls) peak contraction is like standing unsupported concentration curls.

Trick to training your positions of flexion is to accentuate what each exercise is best at. Meaning, barbell curls heave that fucking weight up, explosive but controlled (specially on the negative). Stretch make sure you get a full stretch and a "bounce" at the bottom to engage the myotatic reflex (similar to a baseball pitcher, when throwing the ball, he will jerk his arm back just before the forward movement which launches the ball) and peak contraction, well hold the contraction for a spit second.

You might recognize this routine- it happens to be what Arnold built his biceps with. The trick is to objectively look at your arms and decide if your brachi needs work or not. If so work them first, if not work them after biceps but ALWAYS do some work for your brachialis.

Triceps have three heads but you can really only work 2 with emphasis. For the most part I just do the three POF for them- Pushdowns or ez bar skull crushers, then something behind the head for stretch and some type of cable curl or kickback for peak contraction. Simple.

Here is a GREAT GREAT GREAT video series explaining what I was saying about biceps vs brachialis, though Scott makes no mention to POF training (imagine he'd want to be paid for that info, it is quite rare. I paid good money for a video series back in the day explaining all of it).

Watch all the video's but arm training begins on video 8 I am pretty sure.

There you have it- work your brachialis apart from biceps but work it equally, hit the 3 positions of flexion for bi's and tri's, keep volume minimal and intensity high and you will get the biggest arms your genetics will allow.

Either that or just mega dose steroids like gh15 keeps telling you...I prefer to grow through training my ass off, but that's just me. Steroids are a tool, no more no less. They should never take the place of intelligent intense training imho....

GroinkTropin

• Getbig IV
« Reply #55 on: September 06, 2011, 04:43:18 AM »
btw if you search positions of flexion you might run across this moron. shitty form all around and he lists spider bench curls as a stretch position movement for biceps which is false!!!

There are only 2 exercises I know of which truly work the stretch position of the biceps. again, your arms MUST cross the plane of your body!!

Incline dumbell curls and low pulley cable curls facing away from cable stack.

like so
&feature=related

and ...well I couldn't find a youtube of the cable curl being done right. I will shoot one myself fuck me. they are hard to find apparently because no one does them right!

if anyone wants to torrent look around the positions of flexion videos came from ironman magazine. paul demayo was the model for most of the videos.

http://pjlusa-exercise.blogspot.com/2006/01/positions-of-flexion-by-steve-holman.html

GroinkTropin

• Getbig IV
« Reply #56 on: September 06, 2011, 04:44:55 AM »
btw if you search positions of flexion you might run across this moron. shitty form all around and he lists spider bench curls as a stretch position movement for biceps which is false!!!

There are only 2 exercises I know of which truly work the stretch position of the biceps. again, your arms MUST cross the plane of your body!!

Incline dumbell curls and low pulley cable curls facing away from cable stack.

like so
&feature=related

and ...well I couldn't find a youtube of the cable curl being done right. I will shoot one myself fuck me. they are hard to find apparently because no one does them right! You must face away from the pulley and allow your upper arm being worked to travel behind the plane of your body at the bottom to activate pre-stretch known as myotatic reflex or stretch reflex.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stretch_reflex

if anyone wants to torrent look around the positions of flexion videos came from ironman magazine. paul demayo was the model for most of the videos.

http://pjlusa-exercise.blogspot.com/2006/01/positions-of-flexion-by-steve-holman.html

Meso_z

• Getbig V
« Reply #57 on: September 06, 2011, 08:06:07 AM »
I haven't read the thread. Here is some things I have put together which have transformed my arms.

#1 Understand the function of the biceps vs brachialis and understand the value of each.
#2 Know the exercises to work three positions of flexion for your biceps- midrange, stretch and peak contraction.

For example, right now I am focusing a lot on working my brachialis. If your biceps themselves are big but your upper arm is small, chances are your brachialis is underdeveloped. Look at Ronnie or Phi Heath, each has amazing biceps BUT their amazingness is due in large part to well developed Brachialis. Reason being, a huge brachi will push your biceps up!!! Same thing with calves, you do seated calf raises because your soleus muscle sits UNDERNEATH your gastroc. So, doing seated calf raises does not develop your gastroc it just makes it LOOK MUCH BETTER. You need a well developed brachialis much like you need a well developed soleus.

Getting your brachialis to fire can be tough if it's weak. Here is a tip- your arms and your legs are very similar in form and function-in order to get your brachi to fire you need to take biceps largely out of the movement. To do this you need your upper arm above/behind your head. Behind the head cable curls, behind head spider bench curls and cable crossover curls work best here.

It is easy to mistake forearm developing movements like hammers for being something that develops your brachialis but this is false. When doing hammers your forearms and biceps are prime movers.

Anyway, I am tired. Moving on. Hitting biceps requires 3 movements- 1 for midrange, 1 for stretch and 1 for peak contraction. Midrange is like barbell curls, stretch is any type of curl for biceps which allows your arms to cross the plane of your body (think incline db curls) peak contraction is like standing unsupported concentration curls.

Trick to training your positions of flexion is to accentuate what each exercise is best at. Meaning, barbell curls heave that fucking weight up, explosive but controlled (specially on the negative). Stretch make sure you get a full stretch and a "bounce" at the bottom to engage the myotatic reflex (similar to a baseball pitcher, when throwing the ball, he will jerk his arm back just before the forward movement which launches the ball) and peak contraction, well hold the contraction for a spit second.

You might recognize this routine- it happens to be what Arnold built his biceps with. The trick is to objectively look at your arms and decide if your brachi needs work or not. If so work them first, if not work them after biceps but ALWAYS do some work for your brachialis.

Triceps have three heads but you can really only work 2 with emphasis. For the most part I just do the three POF for them- Pushdowns or ez bar skull crushers, then something behind the head for stretch and some type of cable curl or kickback for peak contraction. Simple.

Here is a GREAT GREAT GREAT video series explaining what I was saying about biceps vs brachialis, though Scott makes no mention to POF training (imagine he'd want to be paid for that info, it is quite rare. I paid good money for a video series back in the day explaining all of it).

There you have it- work your brachialis apart from biceps but work it equally, hit the 3 positions of flexion for bi's and tri's, keep volume minimal and intensity high and you will get the biggest arms your genetics will allow.

Either that or just mega dose steroids like gh15 keeps telling you...I prefer to grow through training my ass off, but that's just me. Steroids are a tool, no more no less. They should never take the place of intelligent intense training imho....

just curl.

JP_RC

• Getbig IV
« Reply #58 on: September 06, 2011, 08:18:06 AM »

Ok, thank you charles glass....you forgot preacher curls for the "lower" biceps though.

:-X

True

• Getbig IV
  • Zero Tolerance
« Reply #59 on: September 06, 2011, 09:00:04 AM »
I only use two exercises when training biceps. Standing barbel curl and preacher curls (preferably one arm preacher curl for more focus on each arm). These are the best exercises for putting on mass on your guns. I also found out that doing as little as 4-5 sets with a lot of intentsity made them grew quick. Ive gained a lot of mass doing one arm preacher curls, and it wasnt untill I really lowered the weight and did them real strict and properly that they began to grow. I just added the weight a little by little by time, but made sure I did them strict. Best progress ever. Now of days I really dont put that much mass on my bis anymore, and now I do up to 8 sets as well, because I feel they can take much more than before. I really have to figure something out in order to make them start growing again.

doriancutlerman

• Getbig IV
« Reply #60 on: September 08, 2011, 02:55:37 PM »
Maybe we should ask Vince Basile for the secret to bigger arms?  He claims he has the answer, but I'm not sure if he's ever followed through.  We almost always get "oh, the Getbig flotsam aren't worthy" b.s. diversion; after that, it's all about the money.  I.e., "why should I, the mighty Vince Basile, reveal my rapid hypertrophy training secrets without someone paying me?!"
t
Psh.  If you're of anywhere near average height and achieve a single-digit bodyfat with 17" or greater guns, you are gifted.  The "secret" to getting them bigger is gear, and lots of it over time.  If 500 mg of test a week doesn't push you over the edge, try 750mg.  Etc.

Simple stuff.  Beyond that, consult with Gh15.  The whole gH and insulin thing is totally alien to me, largely because of the fucking cost:  gH ain't cheap! :(