Author Topic: Sean Penn: Impeach George W. Bush, Dick Cheney  (Read 17421 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Sean Penn: Impeach George W. Bush, Dick Cheney
« on: December 19, 2006, 11:22:25 AM »
 ::)

Sean Penn: Impeach George W. Bush, Dick Cheney
Tuesday, December 19, 2006

By Roger Friedman

Oscar-winning actor Sean Penn called for the impeachment of President George Bush and Vice President Dick Cheney in an impassioned speech Monday night in New York.

The occasion was Penn's winning the first annual Christopher Reeve First Amendment Award from the Creative Coalition, a non-partisan advocacy and lobbying group founded by New York actors such as Reeve, Ron Silver and Susan Sarandon more than a decade ago.

Penn was one name on a long list of honorees that included Branford Marsalis, Harvey Keitel and Marcia Gay Harden. He was introduced by PBS' Charlie Rose, who was preceded by Matthew Reeve, the documentary-making eldest son of Christopher Reeve and Gae Exton.

Penn, wearing slicked-back hair, suit and tie, came to the stage at Duvet, a party space on West 21st St., with serious intentions. Unfortunately, his cell phone rang a couple of times during his pointed remarks, and finally he had to answer it.

Such are the consequences of public speaking in the modern era.

Penn is no stranger to controversy, politics or their intersection. But last night's speech was a little different — even for him — amping him up to the next level in the war between liberals and conservatives over the war in Iraq.

Penn spoke in measured tones but was actually quite inflammatory. The combination worked. He also threw a verbal grenade into the crowd when he said: "So look, if we attempt to impeach for lying about a [oral sex act], yet accept these almost certain abuses without challenge, we become a [human] stain on the flag we wave."

The deleted word registered the level of shock it was supposed to, even for the fairly A-list hip crowd that included Heather Graham, Laurence Fishburne, Kerry Washington, Ruben Santiago Hudson, Giancarlo Esposito, Tony Goldwyn, Joe Pantoliano, Richard Belzer, Tamara Tunie and Richard Schiff, plus media types such as John Sykes, Matt Blank (Showtime) and Gerry Byrne.

Penn's proclamation went beyond just staining the red, white and blue. He preceded that line with: "Let's put his administration under oath," he said. "And then if the crimes of treason, bribery or other high crimes and misdemeanors are proven, do as Article 2, Section 4 of the United States constitution provides, and remove the president, vice president, and … civil officers of the United States from office."

He added: "If the Justice Department then sees fit to bunk them up with Jeff Skilling, so be it."

Penn later told me he's thrilled for Clint Eastwood's double successes with "Letters from Iwo Jima" and "Flags of Our Fathers."

Penn is directing his own movie, based on Jon Krakauer's story "Into the Wild," with Marcia Gay Harden leading an all-star cast. It's due out next year from Paramount Vantage.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,237357,00.html

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
Re: Sean Penn: Impeach George W. Bush, Dick Cheney
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2006, 12:09:52 PM »
Impeaching Bush for violating the Presidency is definitely something that should be investigated.

Let it be investigated, and only impeach Bush and/or Cheney if there is something substantial, not like when that homo Starr went after Clinton.

That was a disgrace.

If an investigation cannot find anything substantial, then just drop it.

This is about protecting the Checks and Balances of the US Constitution, so I pray they won't fcuk with it just to score some party political points.

But indeed, Bush seems like he's been violating the presidency somewhat.

-Hedge
As empty as paradise

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2006, 01:01:39 PM »
8 year ago todayhttp://www.cnn.com/ALLPOLITICS/stories/1998/12/19/impeachment.01/

House Impeaches Bill Clinton

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2006, 01:06:26 PM »
8 year ago todayhttp://www.cnn.com/ALLPOLITICS/stories/1998/12/19/impeachment.01/

House Impeaches Bill Clinton

Ah memories.   :)  What a fiasco.  A partisan impeachment in the House.  DOA in the Senate.  Wouldn't be any different with Dubya, except it will never get off the ground.   

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2006, 01:10:38 PM »
yeah, that was great political entertainment.

I especially liked it when Newt Gingrinch resigned when his extra-marital affair became known then 9 days later Livingston resigns for the same reason.   I wonder wtf they were thinking?  F'ng hypocrites

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2006, 01:15:39 PM »
Absolute hypocrites.  Larry Flynt allegedly had a lot of Congressmen shaking in their boots.  He was going to do a story on various extra-marital affairs by members of Congress around that time.  He apparently backed off when the wife of one of the targets called and pleaded for their privacy. 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2006, 02:33:05 PM »
Justify what?  I'm just talking about whether there are grounds to impeach Bush.  I haven't heard a credible argument from you or anyone else on impeachment.  Lots of hyperbole (like Sean Penn).  That's about it. 

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2006, 02:57:23 PM »
Here's (presumably) is a whole book of arguments.

Mr. Intenseone

« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2006, 03:17:37 PM »
Here's (presumably) is a whole book of arguments.

I looked up the author, she's obviously a liberal Bush hater, so far I found 51 articles she wrote bashing the President!!

Cap

• Getbig V
  • Trueprotein.com 5% discount code= CSP111
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2006, 03:21:15 PM »
Honestly Rob, celebrities opinions don't matter.  Just ask Alice Cooper who said the same thing.  They live a good life no matter who is in office.  Nothing but the next movie role affects them.
Squishy face retard

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2006, 03:54:08 PM »
I looked up the author, she's obviously a liberal Bush hater, so far I found 51 articles she wrote bashing the President!!

Who else do you expect to write a book like that? 

If it's factual (I don't know because I haven't read it) then that's all that should matter

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2006, 04:05:20 PM »
I agree a biased author can present the facts in an unbiased way, but that usually doesn't happen.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2006, 04:07:36 PM »
I agree a biased author can present the facts in an unbiased way, but that usually doesn't happen.

true - but then again good luck finding anyone who's not biased in some way.  Just picking a side automatically makes you biased to some degree.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2006, 04:14:32 PM »
true - but then again good luck finding anyone who's not biased in some way.  Just picking a side automatically makes you biased to some degree.

Yes we all have biases, but the issue is whether the author has a bias against the person/ideology that he or she is writing about. 

Mr. Intenseone

« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2006, 04:18:03 PM »

I can see being unbias toward someone, but 51 articals is a little extreme!!

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2006, 04:32:57 PM »
I can see being unbias toward someone, but 51 articals is a little extreme!!

isn't it odd that we're debating a book that none of us have even read?

Cavalier22

• Getbig IV
  • Citizens! The Fatherland is in Danger
« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2006, 04:35:32 PM »
clinton lied under oath, something that for all the outrage Bush has never done.

Bin Laden himself said that when Clinton pulled america out of somalia after mogadishu it made him believe that the US, or more specifically its politicians, were too weak and cowardly to respond to force in kind. this led to an increase in both terrorist attacks on the US and the boldness of the attacks.  

Oh whoops. Sillly  me.  Bin laden had nothing to with 911, I forgot.
Valhalla awaits.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2006, 04:48:51 PM »
isn't it odd that we're debating a book that none of us have even read?

lol.  True, true.   :)  . . . Wait, we're discussing whether the author has a bias, not the subject matter of the book. 

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2006, 04:54:35 PM »
lol.  True, true.   :)  . . . Wait, we're discussing whether the author has a bias, not the subject matter of the book. 

yeah but how do we know if the book is bias.

Is there anyone on the planet that is not biased for or against Bush. 

He's one of the most polarizing people on the planet

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2006, 04:55:31 PM »
clinton lied under oath, something that for all the outrage Bush has never done.

Bin Laden himself said that when Clinton pulled america out of somalia after mogadishu it made him believe that the US, or more specifically its politicians, were too weak and cowardly to respond to force in kind. this led to an increase in both terrorist attacks on the US and the boldness of the attacks.  

Oh whoops. Sillly  me.  Bin laden had nothing to with 911, I forgot.

That could be because Bush never goes under oath.  That might change soon

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2006, 04:59:47 PM »
yeah but how do we know if the book is bias.

Is there anyone on the planet that is not biased for or against Bush. 

He's one of the most polarizing people on the planet

We don't know.  The problem with reading a book written by an author who is biased against the subject matter of the book is people won't trust the content, or in many cases won't even read the book.  Based on Mr. I's find, I probably wouldn't read this book.   

I think the president of the United States is always a polarizing figure.  I don't think Bush is any more polarizing that Clinton.  Conservatives absolutely hated Clinton.  It's the nature of the beast (politics).

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2006, 05:11:26 PM »
We don't know.  The problem with reading a book written by an author who is biased against the subject matter of the book is people won't trust the content, or in many cases won't even read the book.  Based on Mr. I's find, I probably wouldn't read this book.   

I think the president of the United States is always a polarizing figure.  I don't think Bush is any more polarizing that Clinton.  Conservatives absolutely hated Clinton.  It's the nature of the beast (politics).

Well, just to belabour the point.  How do we even know she's biased.  The person who said it clearly has his own bias.  Has he read all 51 articles.  How many other articles has she written.  Are they all one-sided?? and on and on - blegh - do we really even care anymore

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: December 19, 2006, 05:59:26 PM »
Well, just to belabour the point.  How do we even know she's biased.  The person who said it clearly has his own bias.  Has he read all 51 articles.  How many other articles has she written.  Are they all one-sided?? and on and on - blegh - do we really even care anymore

I don't know if she's biased.  I know Mr. I has a conservative bias.  Okay, it's more of a religion.   :)  But I'll take his word for it. 

But back to the impeachment issue:  I think it's all smoke.  No fire. 

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #23 on: December 19, 2006, 06:08:33 PM »
I don't know if she's biased.  I know Mr. I has a conservative bias.  Okay, it's more of a religion.   :)  But I'll take his word for it. 

But back to the impeachment issue:  I think it's all smoke.  No fire. 

So someone with a conservative bias can be objective in declaring that someone else has a liberal bias???  It can't go both ways. 

BTW - I'm not reading the book either.  It's irrelevant.  The House will investigate and if they decide there is an impeachable offense then they may choose to initiate an impeachment.  If it passes the House it goes to the Senate and then they get to decide.  Personally, I suspect that Bush has committed many crimes worthy of impeachment but I also think that impeachment would be really really bad for our country.   Besides, who wants a pissed off Dick Cheney running the country or for that matter Nancy Pelosi?

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #24 on: December 19, 2006, 07:46:01 PM »
Honestly Rob, celebrities opinions don't matter.  Just ask Alice Cooper who said the same thing.  They live a good life no matter who is in office.  Nothing but the next movie role affects them.

Alice Cooper said celebrity opinions don't matter?  Doesn't that mean that his opinion on celebrity opinions doesn't matter?