Author Topic: Bob Morris Belts  (Read 6804 times)

SLYY

• Getbig IV
  • A mug only your mom could love...
Bob Morris Belts
« on: December 21, 2008, 03:15:28 AM »
What do you guys think of these belts for powerlifting?  Anyone prefer them over Inzer, APT, Titan, or any other belt?  It's time for me to buy new belt, thanks in advance.

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
Re: Bob Morris Belts
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2008, 10:06:03 AM »
They look very good.

FWIW, Wahlander's belts are the best in the business.

Dunno if you're interested in shelling out the extra money for importing a belt though.
As empty as paradise

Stubborn

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • Who wants a mustache ride?
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2008, 03:02:56 PM »
Never really understood the preference between belts. Its all the same as long as they arent cheap as hell and break.

brent2741

• Getbig IV
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2008, 06:28:27 PM »
the  belt i got from apt was top notch, identical to inzer's middle of the road for half the cost

SLYY

• Getbig IV
  • A mug only your mom could love...
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2008, 10:02:43 PM »
Thanks for the replies.  I'm getting back into powerlifting and thought it would be best to get a "real" belt verse my $20 "play it again sports" belt, lol.  The cheap belt has lasted me a good 7 years or so....its just that I was using it for lighter weights (bodybuilding) while I deadlifted and squatted. 

I will definitely look into the Wahlander and apt belt. 

You guys have any preference as far as 10MM or 13MM?  From my research, it seems most like the 13MM with one prong.  A few seem to find the 13MM uncomfortable during deadlifts.....just wondering what your preference is for belt that will be used for squats and deads.  Thanks again all.

Stubborn

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • Who wants a mustache ride?
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2008, 10:16:22 PM »
10mm for sure. The prong setup is not so important but I figure that a single prong would have slightly more play in it. Thats what I use and it works fine for everthing in Strongman.

MisterMagoo

• Getbig V
  • And now, what joy will I have left to live for?
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2008, 10:34:31 AM »
note: i'm almost 100% positive the 13mm belt is intended for larger men whose midsections already have some "give" to it. i have a 13mm and it's almost oppressively stiff. if i hadn't dropped $100 on it (lever belt) i'd be tempted to switch 'er out for a 10mm model that's more flexible.

Vet

• Getbig IV
  • Immortal
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2008, 11:52:04 AM »
note: i'm almost 100% positive the 13mm belt is intended for larger men whose midsections already have some "give" to it. i have a 13mm and it's almost oppressively stiff. if i hadn't dropped $100 on it (lever belt) i'd be tempted to switch 'er out for a 10mm model that's more flexible.

haha.  I 've always thought the exact opposite.  I've got an inzer double prong 13mm that I got stuck in one time.  I was squatting heavy and my training partner cranked it down on me.  After my set, we couldn't get it off. I kinda had a mild comeapart, which didn't help.  It took several minutes a couple of other guys to get it off.  Because of this,  I also only use single prong belts anymore.  The worst feeling in the world is finishing a max squat, not being able to breath, and then not being able to get the belt off so you can breath.   

I personally like the belts that are sort of in between --ie a "thick" 10 mm belt is probably the best description. 

The biggest issue with a belt isn't how they perform when they are new, but how they are over time.   Cheaper belts tend to warp and the threads seem more likely to come apart.   I've gotten the best use from the one I purchased from Elitefts.  That belt is 2 years old now and really is pretty much bulletproof so far.  No thread wear, no peeling of seams, buckle is still in great shape and isn't loose.   

I've got an old Adair, which i've had for almost 5 years of pretty hars handling  (I'd keep in on the back of or in my truck in the sun,  used it for pulling the sled, etc).  It finally started to crack up near the hole I use the most and the end.   Personally, I think that was pretty good wear for a low cost belt. 

Inzer belts seem to want to stiffen up if you use them, get them really sweaty and then don't use them for a couple of weeks.   I dont' know enough about leather working to know why that happens, but is seems to be the case for every inzer belt I've ever had.   The key is to hang it upafter your workout, don't keep it rolled in a gym bag.  That said, Inzer belts are good quality.  My wife has used hers for several years and its still good. 

I've never used an APT belt.   I hear they are good quality, but I don't know from use.

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2008, 12:59:15 PM »

This type of buckle, the lever, really sucks IMO.

It only has one setting, and it easily messes up when you tries to set it real tight.

The belt manufacturers tries to sell it though, because they can sell it for a higher price.

The one thick prong is what I feel works best, and with a really thick belt, that over time will get only better and better, I think it's the best option.

Something like this

As empty as paradise

MisterMagoo

• Getbig V
  • And now, what joy will I have left to live for?
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2008, 02:28:25 PM »
i adore my lever belt, man. after struggling with a double prong for years i'm never going back. for the same reason vet said, actually. i crank my belt and it's just impossible to get the thing on and off with a regular prong buckle. the ability to just sit down and flip the lever is AMAZINGLY convenient.

and it IS adjustable, dude. you don't even need a screwdriver. a quarter works just fine.

brent2741

• Getbig IV
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2008, 02:34:19 PM »
this is what i use and i love it

Bossa

• Getbig IV
  • Is that Bossa it must be, I heard he husky
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2008, 11:00:37 AM »
I don't compete so I use the same belt I have always used....and old reebok pump one (made by cardillo)....its a classic now  ;D

burn2live

• Getbig IV
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2008, 12:47:18 PM »
i adore my lever belt, man. after struggling with a double prong for years i'm never going back. for the same reason vet said, actually. i crank my belt and it's just impossible to get the thing on and off with a regular prong buckle. the ability to just sit down and flip the lever is AMAZINGLY convenient.

and it IS adjustable, dude. you don't even need a screwdriver. a quarter works just fine.

I love my lever belt as well. Much more convenient and you're guaranteed to get the same fit each time you snap it on.