Author Topic: "Muscle-Ups"...  (Read 4686 times)

Lion666

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • You gotta bring it to get it!
"Muscle-Ups"...
« on: January 15, 2010, 10:11:37 PM »
those pull-up into dip hybrid move...  they're are killer on the shoulders... almost feels like a pull-up power clean and dip to finish it off...  great move... took a while to get the hang of,,, gotta be explosive with em...
gonna stay at them for a while,,, work up to a set of 10

know there was a thread with vids posted a while back,,,
anyone here do them...?
thoughts?

gonna work in those upside down pull-ups too... anyone do those???

gordiano

• Getbig V
  • TEAM "CUTE PENIS", TEAM TRIFLIN' RONNIE COLEMAN
Re: "Muscle-Ups"...
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2010, 10:14:30 PM »
I have seen a couple of Crossfit twinks doing 'em at my gym.
HAHA, RON.....

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2010, 10:15:20 PM »
A "Crossfit" gimmick.

Hulkotron

• Getbig V
  • also shopped my pic you tried to make it subtle
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2010, 11:10:56 PM »
I've never done them but seems like they would be very hard (i.e. bad) on the shoulders.  If you want to do dips and pullups just do dips and pullups.

Parker

• Getbig V
  • He Sees The Stormy Anger Of The World
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2010, 11:44:34 PM »
those pull-up into dip hybrid move...  they're are killer on the shoulders... almost feels like a pull-up power clean and dip to finish it off...  great move... took a while to get the hang of,,, gotta be explosive with em...
gonna stay at them for a while,,, work up to a set of 10

know there was a thread with vids posted a while back,,,anyone here do them...?
thoughts?

gonna work in those upside down pull-ups too... anyone do those???
Are you talking about those vids that I posted about a month ago with those dudes in the park/playground?

Purple Aki

• Getbig IV
  • penisory contact with her volvo.
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2010, 11:53:17 PM »
Are you talking about those vids that I posted about a month ago with those dudes in the park/playground?

Parker, have you seen any of the bartenders' videos? Watching some 300lb rapper trying to do pull ups is one of the funniest things I've seen for a while.

Parker

• Getbig V
  • He Sees The Stormy Anger Of The World
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2010, 12:07:58 AM »
Parker, have you seen any of the bartenders' videos? Watching some 300lb rapper trying to do pull ups is one of the funniest things I've seen for a while.
No, I haven't I'll check it out later. I'm at work, and my workplace has blocked Youtube or any video sharing site, and I can't even google pics.

Purple Aki

• Getbig IV
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2010, 05:19:37 AM »
No, I haven't I'll check it out later. I'm at work, and my workplace has blocked Youtube or any video sharing site, and I can't even google pics.

The rapper's called Nore, apparently, and he's a bit of a chubbster.

Stark

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2010, 05:30:58 AM »
 :-[

Wiggs

• Getbig V
  • Child of Y'srael
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2010, 08:44:42 AM »
:-[

Holy shit, Simon Cowell has been hittin' the sauce hard 8)

polychronopolous

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2010, 08:47:12 AM »
Holy shit, Simon Cowell has been hittin' the sauce hard 8)

:)

Lion666

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2010, 08:48:37 AM »

yeah you got it Parker... i remember watching those when you posted them,,, couple guys at the gym do'em,,, knew they were tough but no idea like that...  you could be able to do 20 str8 wide grip pull-ups and not do 1 of those.
explosiveness & technique,,, they're really cool.
you do them Parker???
I'm up to 4 sets of 1,,, lol with allotta fails before i got there

johnnynoname

• Getbig V
  • i have a face like a shovel
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2010, 08:50:39 AM »
A "Crossfit" gimmick.

with all due respect, coach but i think that is a cop out post

Crossfit aside, muscle ups are very hard and demanding

while i don't think that a training program should revolve around "muscle ups" i do think that they are a great supplement/"something extra" to add to your training repertoire..particularly if you are looking for a more "Statue of David" type physique

people on here are saying the same things about "muscle ups" that they said about burpees and it is a known fact that "burpees" are the shit

Lion666

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2010, 08:53:09 AM »

while i don't think that a training program should revolve around "muscle ups" i do think that they are a great supplement/"something extra" to add to your training repertoire..particularly if you are looking for a more "Statue of David" type physique

people on here are saying the same things about "muscle ups" that they said about burpees and it is a known fact that "burpees" are the shit

exactly johnny,,, did them at the start of my chest back routine,,, just for something different.  surprised at the difficulty of them.

Purple Aki

• Getbig IV
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2010, 08:58:54 AM »

JNN, my current burpee variation involves a press up with a dumbbell in each hand, then a row with each dumbell whilst in stretched position of the pressup, the jump up and press both dumbbells. Rinse and repeat.

I don't know the proper name for it, but it's a bit of a killer after a while.

johnnynoname

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2010, 09:04:56 AM »
JNN, my current burpee variation involves a press up with a dumbbell in each hand, then a row with each dumbell whilst in stretched position of the pressup, the jump up and press both dumbbells. Rinse and repeat.

I don't know the proper name for it, but it's a bit of a killer after a while.

i don't think there is a "proper name" per se
i'm still trying to envision that particular variation.  It sounds like a burpee/dumbell clean and press

here are some of my favorite variations (off the top of my head)
chirpee (burpee into a chinup)
burpee snatch (with a olympic bar)
burpee box jump
bruce lee chirpee (this is more for spectacle/parkour training)- while laying on your back, do a "kip up", as soon as you land on your feet- kick out into the "plank portion" of the burpee and proceed

Purple Aki

• Getbig IV
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2010, 09:22:23 AM »
i don't think there is a "proper name" per se
i'm still trying to envision that particular variation.  It sounds like a burpee/dumbell clean and press

here are some of my favorite variations (off the top of my head)
chirpee (burpee into a chinup)
burpee snatch (with a olympic bar)
burpee box jump
bruce lee chirpee (this is more for spectacle/parkour training)- while laying on your back, do a "kip up", as soon as you land on your feet- kick out into the "plank portion" of the burpee and proceed

Nice! I already do chirpees, but i'm going to give the snatch and box jump variations a go next week. Don't know about the Bruce Lee ones, big chance of fail in front of the rest of the gym with those.

johnnynoname

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2010, 09:26:02 AM »
Don't know about the Bruce Lee ones, big chance of fail in front of the rest of the gym with those.

yeah- it would be a good idea to learn how to kip up first....however, it is a cool lookiing move once you can do it

also a tip on the chirpee (and i apologize if you already know this)- don't jump into the the pull up.  Try and find a chinning bar that is low enough so you can "stand and reach" into the pull up.
So, in essence it isn't really a "burpee" because you are not "jumping" at the end- it is more of a traditional squat thrust into a chin-up

Mars

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2010, 09:36:58 AM »
"If men knew how women thought, they'd be ten times more bold" -Sigmund Freud

Purple Aki

• Getbig IV
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2010, 09:54:05 AM »
yeah- it would be a good idea to learn how to kip up first....however, it is a cool lookiing move once you can do it

also a tip on the chirpee (and i apologize if you already know this)- don't jump into the the pull up.  Try and find a chinning bar that is low enough so you can "stand and reach" into the pull up.
So, in essence it isn't really a "burpee" because you are not "jumping" at the end- it is more of a traditional squat thrust into a chin-up

Yeah, I try to keep the pull ups strict, not too much of this "kipping" you see in youtube vids.

In the British military a burpee is a squat thrust, then stand up.

Whereas, the traditional burpee (press up followed by jumping in the air) is called a bastard - as you have to shout bastard while jumping.

We used to get punished with a variation called "gecko-ee aw-bastards". They involve: a press up where you bring your right knee to your right elbow then back up, repeated with left knee to elbow; you then try to kick your legs up and over your head - funnily enough like a donkey kicking - whilst making a loud "ee aw" noise and then finally you jump into the air whilst shouting "bastard".

If you really fucked up you could be told to do between 60 -100. It could get a little bit "emotional" torwards the end.

Lion666

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2010, 10:58:47 AM »
"If men knew how women thought, they'd be ten times more bold" -Sigmund Freud

QFT

"fortune favors the bold"