Author Topic: Ripitup's Powerlifting Training - USPF Nationals June 28/29 (RESULTS/VIDS p. 11)  (Read 47267 times)

ripitupbaby

• Pros
  • Getbig V
  • 2010 Olympia Pro Powerlifting Champ
Re: Ripitup's Powerlifting Training - USPF Nationals June 28/29
« Reply #75 on: April 25, 2008, 06:49:20 PM »

I stopped liftin until the fall

Be sure to enjoy some of that California sun this summer!

I did a light bench and speed squat workout tonight.  Raw benching, no chains tonight (I forgot them!).

BENCH
warmup - bar x 15, 95 x 12
5 sets 135 x 5

RAW BOARD PRESSES
2-board, kinda heavy but not too bad
165 x 5
175 x 5
175 x 5

CLOSE GRIPS
135 x 5
135 x 5
135 x 5
These were actually a bit heavier than I intended.

SPEED SQUATS
warmup - bar x 15, 95 x 6
125 x 3
135 x 3
135 x 3
135 x 3
135 x 3

Four workouts this week, cardio 4 out of the 5 days, double cardio on one day... I am exhausted, and my legs hurt all over.  I am not even sure if my knee still hurts...I don't think it does. 
This weekend, no lifting...just cardio both days and a good ab workout tomorrow.
Next week, I'm flipping my training split and starting from the back end.  And I have to cram in all of my lifting Mon-Thurs (which sucks but that's the way it goes), so I'm planning on starting with a big bench workout. 

:)

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #76 on: April 25, 2008, 07:38:17 PM »
i know you probably mentioned it earlier but why on earth are you doing so much cardio, Rip?

Geo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #77 on: April 25, 2008, 09:36:04 PM »
i know you probably mentioned it earlier but why on earth are you doing so much cardio, Rip?

agree....

substitute the cardio with a 16 oz steak and a baked potato

New Hank Wood

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #78 on: April 26, 2008, 04:37:25 AM »
Lori, you sound very enthusiastic and that is a good thing. 

Word of advice, watch you don't hurt your spine. 

The deadlift leaves your vertebrae quite vulnerable.  Even with correct technique, once fatigue creeps in ,  you are left wide open to back injury.

As most are aware also, the squat is a great strength builder, but it too can cause serious spinal problems further down the track.

For long term health and vitality, i would steer clear of the big three; the squat, bench and deads.

davie

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #79 on: April 26, 2008, 05:10:17 AM »
Looking good rip,must feel weird but good havig to buy new clothes as ur shoulders/legs/back are getting bigger?!

davie
It isn't the mountains ah

ripitupbaby

• Pros
  • Getbig V
« Reply #80 on: April 26, 2008, 06:06:28 AM »

The deadlift leaves your vertebrae quite vulnerable.  Even with correct technique, once fatigue creeps in ,  you are left wide open to back injury.

As most are aware also, the squat is a great strength builder, but it too can cause serious spinal problems further down the track.

For long term health and vitality, i would steer clear of the big three; the squat, bench and deads.

Thanks for the concern, but that makes it kind of hard to do powerlifting.   ???

davie

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #81 on: April 26, 2008, 06:15:46 AM »
I think u should stick with the basics to put on size, and tha includes squating,deadlifting and bench pressing.

davie

ripitupbaby

• Pros
  • Getbig V
« Reply #82 on: April 26, 2008, 06:19:52 AM »
As for doing so much cardio -  I'm prepping for the North Americans (bodybuilding), starting this week.  I picked up the cardio significantly a couple weeks ago and did one double session this week just to remind myself what it's like.  I'm hoping not to do double sessions (except maybe on some of the non-training days) until after the PL meet, which is in nine weeks. 

davie, I'll spare you the details, but clothes are a huge problem.  I have about 4 sizes in my closet.  Right now, I'm in my fat clothes, but they are all big in the waist and painted on my legs and ass.  So in some ways, it's a good thing I have started my diet, as this is probably the biggest I'll be.  And I'm still relatively small...I can't imagine what the real big girls do for clothes.  I am pretty psyched to diet down and see what I look like since my training has been so different.   8)

davie

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #83 on: April 26, 2008, 06:59:02 AM »
davie, I'll spare you the details, but clothes are a huge problem.  I have about 4 sizes in my closet.  Right now, I'm in my fat clothes, but they are all big in the waist and painted on my legs and ass.  So in some ways, it's a good thing I have started my diet, as this is probably the biggest I'll be.  And I'm still relatively small...I can't imagine what the real big girls do for clothes.  I am pretty psyched to diet down and see what I look like since my training has been so different.   8)

Well, good for u, ur putting in the work and ur obviously getting the rewards!!

You said ur feeling clothes tighter in the shoulders and back, its funny how a few people say that even tho one third of the program is absed around alot of set/work on chest lol.
Not knocking it tho as im starting this myself.I know we do shoulder and back work, It just kinda shows the benifit to the hole upper body that the basics can have.

davie

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #84 on: April 26, 2008, 08:10:50 AM »

shut up pussy. :D

JohnnyVegas

« Reply #85 on: April 27, 2008, 06:03:16 PM »
Make sure the camera is in the right position.  If you don't have someone to film you, just place it on the floor about 4 feet behind you. 

And please do the workout in a G-string.

Or better yet, let me do the vidoe taping for you!

Thank you sweety.

ripitupbaby

• Pros
  • Getbig V
« Reply #86 on: April 29, 2008, 04:21:54 AM »
OK last night was a heavy bench workout.

RAW BENCH W/CHAINS
warmup - bar x 15, 118 x 10 (chains only)
Chains weigh 73 pounds, so the numbers below are weight at the top
168 x 5
188 x 5
208 x 5
208 x 5
188 x 5
188 x 5
178 x 5

NEGATIVES
My husband is an awesome spotter.  I finally did these correctly, and they burned the shit out of my front delts.
225 x 3
225 x 3

CLOSE GRIPS
140 x 5
145 x 5
145 x 5 I was surprised at how easy these were. 

I think that I'll be getting the bench shirt back on starting next week, if all goes well.

Oh, no speed squats last night.  My legs are still getting used to the beating they have been taking lately.   :P

48 mins of cardio yesterday morning, 48 mins of cardio this morning

ripitupbaby

• Pros
  • Getbig V
« Reply #87 on: May 01, 2008, 07:02:10 AM »
I managed to re-arrange things so that I can train on Saturday, so I took Tuesday off and did a heavy deadlift workout last night.  In general, I was in sorry-ass shape for this workout, and it was a struggle to get through it.  I was in a meeting for 7 hours straight yesterday without a break, and I completely missed three meals because I was not prepared.  And I have been fighting severe migraines for two days.  I took two doses of prescription meds yesterday afternoon, which fkd me all up, and I dragged myself into the gym for this workout.  It went "OK" given how I felt. 

Numbers are all weird again because of kilo/pound plates.

DEADLIFTS
warmup - bar x 15, 111 x 8, 133 x 5
177 x 5
197 x 5
221 x 5
221 x 5
193 x 5
193 x 5

RACK DEADS
A little more than an inch below my knees.  These were ridiculously heavy, and I had a hard time holding on to the bar.  First set, I couldn't keep my grip well enough to do the third one.  I need chalk in my gym bag ASAP.
269 x 2
269 x 3

SUMO DEADS
163 x 3
163 x 3
163 x 3

I finished off with three sets of DB rows, 50 pounds x 8 each arm.  I could have gone heavier, but I was not up for it.

No cardio yesterday, 45 minutes on the bike this morning.  I'm down four pounds from last Monday.

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #88 on: May 01, 2008, 07:07:24 AM »
why when you pull...do you do 3 different deadlift movements?  ???

honeslty i don't see how that could be very productive for your deadlift girl..i'd say pick one of them and beat the hell out of it..then work on accessory shit to help the deadlift.

ripitupbaby

• Pros
  • Getbig V
« Reply #89 on: May 01, 2008, 07:10:52 AM »
why when you pull...do you do 3 different deadlift movements?  ???

honeslty i don't see how that could be very productive for your deadlift girl..i'd say pick one of them and beat the hell out of it..then work on accessory shit to help the deadlift.

WELL..... I'm beating the hell out of the regular deads lol.  And the rack deads I do just on my heavy day, sort of like doing negs on the bench.
And the sumos are for trying to learn how to do them...that's why they are so much lighter.  Sumo deads feel weird!

I ripped all of the callouses off my hands and fingers last night... >:(

Geo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #90 on: May 01, 2008, 08:34:07 AM »

I ripped all of the callouses off my hands and fingers last night... >:(

it's nothing more than a right of passage.....

kind of like when qwi chang caine (micheal caradine/kung fu guy) finished his kung fu school and as his final test he had to carry that hot barbeque across the backyard using only his bare forearms

Vet

• Getbig IV
  • Immortal
« Reply #91 on: May 01, 2008, 10:18:39 AM »

Dude.... where did you get that crap from.  ;D

ripitupbaby

• Pros
  • Getbig V
« Reply #92 on: May 02, 2008, 04:26:11 AM »
Last night was a speed bench workout, plus some other stuff.

BENCH
5 sets 120 pounds x 3

3 sets DB side lateral raises x 12
3 sets rotator cuffs x 12
2 sets ab crunches x 20
20 minutes of cardio

My traps were quite sore from deadlifting the night before, and my elbows did not like those speed sets at all!!
I flipped my workout schedule upside down this week, and I am not sure that I like doing speed bench work the day after heavy deadlifting.  Gonna need to try to work in a day off in between next time that happens.

No lifting tonight, 45 minutes of cardio this morning.

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #93 on: May 02, 2008, 06:24:23 AM »
okay MAGOO... pick two benching movements... raw bench then close grips or chains and boards..but not THREE different benching movements on the same day you little deadlift diva. Just two is PLENTY if you work them hard enough. You're going to stall out and not go anywhere like that..

that would be like me doing..

DE bench for 12 sets..then 3 boards for 4 sets as heavy as i can go..then turning around and doing close grip benches...

the first two was more than enough! LOL

ohter than that...you're doing fantastic! How's that diet coming?!  ;D

ripitupbaby

• Pros
  • Getbig V
« Reply #94 on: May 02, 2008, 07:28:07 AM »
okay MAGOO... pick two benching movements... raw bench then close grips or chains and boards..but not THREE different benching movements on the same day you little deadlift diva. Just two is PLENTY if you work them hard enough. You're going to stall out and not go anywhere like that..

that would be like me doing..

DE bench for 12 sets..then 3 boards for 4 sets as heavy as i can go..then turning around and doing close grip benches...

the first two was more than enough! LOL

ohter than that...you're doing fantastic! How's that diet coming?!  ;D

LOL @ MAGOO...What's the matter with doing that many movements?  What are you, a pussy or something??!?!  ;D

The diet is coming along...I'm into it, anyway, and I don't hate it yet (although I do hate the cardio)...but I have SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO far to go, it's hard to feel optimistic about where I am right now, and I occasionally get that feeling of anxiety like "is there any possible way I can get to where I need to be in time?"  I still have 17 weeks till the North Americans, so it's way to early to worry about it.  I have lost 4 pounds since the beginning of last week, 7 pounds since my bench meet on March 16, and by next week, I should be into a range of numbers on the scale that I haven't seen for like 7 months.

MisterMagoo

• Getbig V
  • And now, what joy will I have left to live for?
« Reply #95 on: May 02, 2008, 11:19:49 AM »
oh hey, wicked! there was something i meant to tell you. it was, uh... shit. i forget. wait, gimme a second.

oh yeah, fuck you.  >:(

;D

ripitupbaby

• Pros
  • Getbig V
« Reply #96 on: May 03, 2008, 03:14:30 PM »
Light Squat workout today.

SQUATS - Ass to calves baby! 
warmup - bar x 15, 95 x 12
135 x 5
155 x 5 x 2 sets
160 x 5 - this started feeling a bit heavy for a light day, and I didn't feel like I was getting enough speed off the bottom
155 x 5 x 2 sets
135 x 5

I was planning on doing a little more leg work after that, but I am having this weird problem with my left calf...it hurts A LOT after I squat.  It's the strangest thing...I don't know if it's a nerve or a blood vessel or something behind my knee, but my damn calf hurts.  So I wasn't gonna go do a bunch of calf work after that.  Went with the biceps and grip work instead.

DB BICEP CURLS
20 lbs x 12
25 lbs x 8 x 3 sets
20 lbs x 12

Grip Work - holding two 10 lb plates together in each hand for as long as I can (not very long, my grip sucks the big one) - 4 attempts

2 sets on that plate-loaded gripper machine, 1 plate on it till it hurt alot

I finished off with one big dropset of DB hammer curls, starting with 20 pounds and going all the way down to 5 pounds.

OH, and then 48 minutes on the elliptical.  ::)

Vet

• Getbig IV
  • Immortal
« Reply #97 on: May 03, 2008, 04:05:46 PM »
Hex dumbell holds are my new "my grip sucks" exercise of choice.   ;)

Geo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #98 on: May 03, 2008, 05:24:49 PM »

SQUATS - Ass to calves baby! 

I don't know about any other guys reading that thinks......

but if ya ask me.....

that's pretty damned HOT !!!

ripitupbaby

• Pros
  • Getbig V
« Reply #99 on: May 03, 2008, 08:54:02 PM »

I don't know about any other guys reading that thinks......

but if ya ask me.....

that's pretty damned HOT !!!

Geo, I never knew you were such a horny bastard.  ;D