Author Topic: I'm throwing in the towel!  (Read 16456 times)

Marty Champions

• Getbig V
Re: I'm throwing in the towel!
« Reply #75 on: December 16, 2010, 03:16:55 PM »
personally i think dude just needs some facial hair

he cannot re-attain the boyish ripped look he once had without alot of suffering wich in the end wont be worth it cause he will rebound

grow some facial hair, eat whatever you crave but dont eat any meat, youll have plenty of energy , sexdrive and hair when its all put into place my friend . Hoes like some mean facial hair, even my facial hair is all fucked up and uneven but i let it grow like i dont give a damn and hoes always checkin me out son

A

Reeves

• Getbig IV
« Reply #76 on: December 16, 2010, 03:25:30 PM »
I read your post but not the entire thread but I think I got the gist.

Forget about bodybuilding per se. Think in terms of health and fitness. I gave up bodybuilding in my mid twenties. I started to do more circuit training where you just move from one exercise to the other without sitting around for a minute or two. That way you combine aerobic training with muscle training. I got this from Arthur Jones who use to say to train your muscles anaerobically and your body aerobically.

I cut down my training to three days a week dividing up my upper body into two workouts using push/pull and the third day for legs. When I was active in sports I just trained twice a week dividing into upper/lower.

Rarely in life do we have the ideal situation. We have to make trade offs. It doesn't have to be an all or nothing thing. Training two days a week, if that's all you do, isn't going to turn you into a mutant God, but it's better than nothing and the cost to your personal isn't that high. And it will put you head and tails above the masses in terms of fitness and quality of life.

This man speaks the truth.  Physical culture is what bodybuilding used to be.  Health and strength along with a good physique will serve you a lifetime.

cephissus

• Getbig V
« Reply #77 on: December 16, 2010, 03:27:07 PM »
I read your post but not the entire thread but I think I got the gist.

Forget about bodybuilding per se. Think in terms of health and fitness. I gave up bodybuilding in my mid twenties. I started to do more circuit training where you just move from one exercise to the other without sitting around for a minute or two. That way you combine aerobic training with muscle training. I got this from Arthur Jones who use to say to train your muscles anaerobically and your body aerobically.

I cut down my training to three days a week dividing up my upper body into two workouts using push/pull and the third day for legs. When I was active in sports I just trained twice a week dividing into upper/lower.

Rarely in life do we have the ideal situation. We have to make trade offs. It doesn't have to be an all or nothing thing. Training two days a week, if that's all you do, isn't going to turn you into a mutant God, but it's better than nothing and the cost to your personal isn't that high. And it will put you head and tails above the masses in terms of fitness and quality of life.

Good post.

I'm lifting three times a week now, upper / lower style.  After two weeks, if I'm not losing enough fat I think I'll throw in barbell complexes two days a week to speed things along.  Then, once I get really lean I'll see if I can build up some of my lagging body parts now that I know how to get rid of the nerve impingement that's been hampering me for years.

But I don't think I'm ever again going to go on a "bulking diet" and I may even want to try to drop some muscle just to get my total bodyweight down for blood pressure purposes.

I'm definitely trying to find balance between the "cost to my personal life" and what I consider a satisfactory physique, looks and healthwise right now.  So far it's actually been fun!

cephissus

• Getbig V
« Reply #78 on: December 16, 2010, 03:32:11 PM »
he cannot re-attain the boyish ripped look he once had without alot of suffering wich in the end wont be worth it cause he will rebound

haha we'll see!  back then I was about 8% doing whatever the hell I wanted dietwise, and really, really stupid training.  I remember going to see what was for lunch at my house, deciding i didn't like it, and then eating a dozen cupcakes instead.  and that was only about 4 years ago!

now that I actually know how to control my diet and train properly, I think I'll be able to get a better physique without even half the effort.

also i'm not suffering on my diet so far... i can't stand eating and love cutting back, being hungry all the time.

pellius

• Getbig V
  • RIP Keith Jones aka OnlyMe/NoWorries. 1/10/2011
« Reply #79 on: December 16, 2010, 03:33:31 PM »
Good post.

I'm lifting three times a week now, upper / lower style.  After two weeks, if I'm not losing enough fat I think I'll throw in barbell complexes two days a week to speed things along.  Then, once I get really lean I'll see if I can build up some of my lagging body parts now that I know how to get rid of the nerve impingement that's been hampering me for years.

But I don't think I'm ever again going to go on a "bulking diet" and I may even want to try to drop some muscle just to get my total bodyweight down for blood pressure purposes.

I'm definitely trying to find balance between the "cost to my personal life" and what I consider a satisfactory physique, looks and healthwise right now.  So far it's actually been fun!

You will, I believe, burn more fat by moving quickly from exercise to exercise. It's similar to the Tabata protocal theory where you metabolism is elevated much longer after training thus burning more calories than if you move more slowly or do low intensity cardio. Even between sets if I don't jump on the weights right away, such as after a set of squats where I have to catch my breath first before doing another exercise, I still walk back and forth to keep moving. I want to keep moving the entire 45 minutes or so that I am training. I think of it as keeping the fire burning. Just walk back and forth or do easy lunges in the corner somewhere. Just don't do any of that shadow boxing shit.

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
« Reply #80 on: December 16, 2010, 03:43:52 PM »
Hey pellius, did you know that AJ only had the cadets for the West Point study rush from one exercise to the next one only once per week? The other 2 weekly sessions were at a normal pace.

Hulkotron

• Getbig V
  • also shopped my pic you tried to make it subtle
« Reply #81 on: December 16, 2010, 03:52:19 PM »
Who the hell "diets" on 3500 calories a day?  Even if you weigh 257 that's well over your BMR.

pellius

• Getbig V
« Reply #82 on: December 16, 2010, 04:00:49 PM »
Hey pellius, did you know that AJ only had the cadets for the West Point study rush from one exercise to the next one only once per week? The other 2 weekly sessions were at a normal pace.

No, I did not. Do you have a source for this? I've pretty much read all his works, at least those that are easily available, but never heard of this.

cephissus

• Getbig V
« Reply #83 on: December 16, 2010, 04:03:16 PM »
Who the hell "diets" on 3500 calories a day?  Even if you weigh 257 that's well over your BMR.

Well that was just a starting point for me since I seem to maintain weight at about 4500 cals.  I went with my instincts and have immediately lowered it to about 3000 maybe even slightly less.  I'm in no great rush -- if 3000 doesn't work, i'll just lower it some more.

I would be interested in hearing how you're supposed to feel during a diet though.  So far I've been somewhat hungry for about half the day, content for about half.  A couple of times I've dipped into "very hungry" / starving mode for and hour or two.  Are you supposed to be starving all the time, or just mildly hungry?

On a somewhat related note, I actually felt a little pukey during my last leg day, which is something that hasn't happened in a looooooong time.  I wonder if it's connected to being hungry?

Marty Champions

• Getbig V
« Reply #84 on: December 16, 2010, 04:22:12 PM »
if you increase your metabolism with exercise youll only get hungrier and over eat. just train to have some decent fitness dont be all obsessed about low bodyfat, youll be much happier when your not obsessed, there ALWAYS rebound fat gain even if you do get ripped. that fat and water come back on quicker than lightening unfortunatley that is the law of anatomy
A

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
« Reply #85 on: December 16, 2010, 04:37:45 PM »
Type "Maximizing aerobic potential by Arther Jones" into the google search engine.

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #86 on: December 16, 2010, 07:44:58 PM »

monster 18 inch legs with the definition of a beach ball, walmart employee of the month certificate,arts and crafts area where you spend your weekends pasting photos of yourself into FLEX magazine for "inspiration", and 13 foot high cabinets in your muscle bear lovers log cabin.

no one

• Getbig V
  • have i hurt your feelings?
« Reply #87 on: December 16, 2010, 08:42:15 PM »

monster 18 inch legs with the definition of a beach ball, walmart employee of the month certificate,arts and crafts area where you spend your weekends pasting photos of yourself into FLEX magazine for "inspiration", and 13 foot high cabinets in your muscle bear lovers log cabin.

you forgot brutal $19 nylon swim shorts from the 1980's.
b

magicuser

« Reply #88 on: December 16, 2010, 09:03:19 PM »
critics must all post pics showing thier ripped superiority

Army of One

• Getbig V
« Reply #89 on: December 16, 2010, 09:10:52 PM »
I called it

Clever gimmick, be interested to see which direction he takes it, Im thinking an adonis gimmick whereby the "guy" claims to eat ice cream and bath in sugar water and gets back to a ripped 185 in 3 months?

I'm following wave lengths dieting guide, so I won't be doing anything too extreme, just reducing calories until I'm shedding 1-3 lbs a week.

Master Blaster

• Getbig V
  • Not sure if getbig full of trolls or trolls getbig
« Reply #90 on: December 16, 2010, 09:37:44 PM »
he's actually done some interesting posts, if he's a gimmick he's playing a long game of chess

Meso_z

• Getbig V
« Reply #91 on: December 16, 2010, 11:13:01 PM »
You should seriously consider pming "fatpanda" for some "dieting advice".

Meso_z

• Getbig V
« Reply #92 on: December 16, 2010, 11:13:44 PM »
You will, I believe, burn more fat by moving quickly from exercise to exercise. It's similar to the Tabata protocal theory where you metabolism is elevated much longer after training thus burning more calories than if you move more slowly or do low intensity cardio. Even between sets if I don't jump on the weights right away, such as after a set of squats where I have to catch my breath first before doing another exercise, I still walk back and forth to keep moving. I want to keep moving the entire 45 minutes or so that I am training. I think of it as keeping the fire burning. Just walk back and forth or do easy lunges in the corner somewhere. Just don't do any of that shadow boxing shit.
Interesting...

cephissus

• Getbig V
« Reply #93 on: December 16, 2010, 11:20:50 PM »
I called it

lol i mentioned wave length in the opening post...

edit -

also my legs are 26 in believe it or not and that certificate is for personal training (ACSM) lol... i'm never going to use it.

Formerly_Owner76

• Getbig III
  • Long Time Troll!
« Reply #94 on: December 17, 2010, 01:08:37 AM »
I was gonna ask, if you squat.
Good upper body, but legs look like someone else's.
Good idea though, get more cut, keep training hard.

cephissus

• Getbig V
« Reply #95 on: December 17, 2010, 02:57:05 AM »
Thanks!

I just found out two days ago how my posture has led to nerve impingement that basically shuts off my hams, glutes, erectors, and even quads.  Extremely frustrating problem, which took me years to figure out.

Now that I know about the impingement, I'm going to see if I can fix it and bring up these weak body parts to match my lats, chest, and abs after I finish dieting down as much as I can.

Marty Champions

• Getbig V
« Reply #96 on: December 17, 2010, 05:12:31 AM »
Thanks!

I just found out two days ago how my posture has led to nerve impingement
that basically shuts off my hams, glutes, erectors, and even quads.  Extremely frustrating problem, which took me years to figure out.

Now that I know about the impingement, I'm going to see if I can fix it and bring up these weak body parts to match my lats, chest, and abs after I finish dieting down as much as I can.

dont put your faith in man/doctor...god will ask you one day why you accepted me-di-sin from some man who told you he had the answer as apposed to gods natural food remedies. We all make mistakes though but just need to take a bigger look at the industry we are putting trust in

many of these tweaks in our body can be worked out on there own

if you have impingment that is a form of inflamation brought on about by the heme-iron found in meats
A

barrettaswine

• Getbig II
« Reply #97 on: December 17, 2010, 05:40:07 AM »
I am 51 years old and I understand exactly where you are coming from. "bodybuilding" is supposed to "enhance" your life and health. If you can keep it in check, it really does. The only time  you should obsess about it is if you are entering a contest for prize money aka "pro". The workout routine I follow is 3 days a week, monday,wednesday,friday. After years of dilusional training, I do a complete body workout every workout. I do a couple of light warmup sets and one WORK set to failure for each excercise. I move from machine to machine without  a break and I get a great pump and sweat going!! People actually can't  get that it works, It's great!! It also only takes about 45 minutes to a hour to complete. Good luck and  enjoy your training and most importantly, your life. barreta.

Rearden Metal

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team Honey Badger cuz he don't Care.
« Reply #98 on: December 17, 2010, 07:48:23 AM »
Nice meltdown No0b, run along back to your comic books and fizzy fountain drinks.

Actually, coming from someone who doesn't give a shit either way, he just destroyed you.

pellius

• Getbig V
« Reply #99 on: December 17, 2010, 12:48:59 PM »
Type "Maximizing aerobic potential by Arther Jones" into the google search engine.

Found it. And I do remember reading it many years ago. Like 25+ years ago. I'm not sure if he recommended doing circuit type training only once a week even though he had the cadets do it only once a week. I suspect even on the other workouts he wasn't allowing them to just sit around between sets for a couple of minutes. Certainly with Casey it was non stop during the entire phase of his training.

I'm a huge fan of Jones thought he was a genius. I loved his no nonsense attitude though I think it hurt him from being more well know and recognized. Most people just did not seem to like him. And by all accounts the feeling was mutual. Still, his writings made a lot of sense and I always found some gems in all of his articles. A coupled from the one you referred me to:

Referring to aerobics guru, Dr. Kenneth Cooper:

"Personally, knowing him quite well, I would suggest that Cooper concern himself with things that he understands, which might limit him to things like tying his own shoes, if he is ever capable of that."

And one of my biggest complaints of people who say they train for two hours but 85% of their time is spent sitting around txting, on the phone, bull shitting and just hogging equipment and not allowing you to work in even though I'll be done with the equipment while they are still halfway through their txt msg.

"If, as usually happens, you perform a set of heavy exercise for strength building purposes, and then sit on your ass or shoot the shit with a friend for five minutes before performing the next exercise, then you probably will increase both your muscular size and strength, will doing little or nothing in the way of improving your cardiovascular condition."

If, as usually happens, you perform a set of heavy exercise for strength building purposes, and then sit on your ass or shoot the shit with a friend for five minutes before performing the next exercise, then you probably will increase both your muscular size and strength, will doing little or nothing in the way of improving your cardiovascular condition.