Author Topic: Hillary, Obama, and Other Musings  (Read 3890 times)

OneBigMan

Re: Hillary, Obama, and Other Musings
« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2007, 03:09:41 PM »
I had dinner with some of my colleagues and their spouses/significant others last night and we had an interesting discussion about the political scene.  A good mix of liberals, conservatives, and apolitical people (all very well educated).  Here is what I found interesting from our conversation:

1.  Hillary:  Liberals really like her, but agree that she is a polarizing figure.  When we tried to pinpoint why she is polarizing, we really couldn't pin down why people hate her so much.  One young lady said her father and those in his generation would not vote for Hillary because she is a woman. 

2.  Obama:  The most interesting comment about him (in response to my comment that he hasn't defined himself on major issues) was that it isn't so much where he stands on hot button issues, but his judgment and what kind of decisions he will make when given information.  I think that is a great point.  I've been waiting for him to take positions (which he still must do and which will no doubt cost him votes from one camp or another), but maybe it's better to look at him from an intellectual standpoint?  I'm going to reevaluate how I judge him. 

3.  McCain:  We all agreed he is very old.  Liberals think he's too conservative.  One conservative thinks the war will make or break him.  If his support of Bush's troop escalation is successful, McCain is in.  If not, McCain is doomed.  I think this makes sense.

4.  Giuliani:  Liberals think he is too conservative, conservatives think he's too liberal.  Sounds like the ideal candidate.   :)  I need to reevaluate my views on him.  One ultra liberal was really impressed with how he cleaned up New York.  He may not be quite the long shot I thought he was.

5.  Republican candidates:  We agreed outside of McCain and Giuliani there isn't a sure bet Republican candidate.  After reflecting on this, I think this is true and that President Hillary (or Obama) may not be quite the long shot I thought it was. 

6.  911:  Not a word about a conspiracy in three-plus hours.  Not surprised at all.   

The only person I want to mention at this point is Hillary Rodham Clinton. The reason is I very much doubt it at this point that I could be convinced to vote for Mrs.Clinton because the Clintons 8 year term was very shacky and inconsistent. The other reason that is controversial is my consisent conservative beliefs make it very hard for me to vote for another Clinton after what President Bush's predecessor did with that college aged girl to get himself impeached in 1998-99.