Author Topic: In need of calf routine  (Read 9724 times)

davie

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
Re: In need of calf routine
« Reply #25 on: May 23, 2006, 02:58:13 AM »
I make myself do 10 sets 3 times a week, I do alot of running during the rugby season,sprints etc and my calves are used to taking alot of work, so iv bumped up the volume, but keep intensity as high as possible.

Il do 5 sets on seated calf raises, do 15 reps pausing at top of rep for about 5 secs then lower, once uv dun 15 reps fire out another 10 quicker paced reps without the pause at top of rep,good burn.
From ther i move to leg press amchine and do 5 sets of 20 reps heals in.
Il do that twice a week on mondays and fridays....if i do calves on wed aswell it will be standing DB raises 5 sest 15 followed by 5 sets of 10 standing BB raises.

Might drop a session as il be sprinting once a week during summer.

Il let u no at end of summer LOL.

davie
It isn't the mountains ah

Baby_Hercules

• Competitors II
  • Getbig III
  • myspace.com/babyhercules1914
« Reply #26 on: May 23, 2006, 05:21:06 AM »
Thanks for your post. Sounds intense.

GoneAway

• Getbig V
« Reply #27 on: May 23, 2006, 06:15:31 AM »
Baby-Hercules, your hard work has really paid off. Good luck on bringing up those calves!

Training question: What have you done to get your chest so thick and wide?

davie

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #28 on: May 23, 2006, 06:29:13 AM »
It is pretty hard. I am just trying to cover the different rep ranges to work calves fully.

davie
It isn't the mountains ah

sammy1980

• Getbig II
  • congrats to the new mr o: melvin anthony
« Reply #29 on: May 23, 2006, 06:53:53 AM »
baby_hercules: id say..pick one calf exercise and do 5-6 sets everytime your in the gym ( at the start of the session). Use different  calf exercises everytime...5-20reps is good. Make sure to stretch em between sets.When you brush you teeth in the morning stand on one leg and do calf raises...for high reps (50+).

Baby_Hercules

• Competitors II
  • Getbig III
  • myspace.com/babyhercules1914
« Reply #30 on: February 08, 2007, 08:47:15 AM »
Baby-Hercules, your hard work has really paid off. Good luck on bringing up those calves!

Training question: What have you done to get your chest so thick and wide?
I just happened to see this reply. Haven't read this thread in a while. I must say weighted dips have been a staple in my chest routine for a long time. They work the lower and outer pecs as well as the triceps. This exercise is considered by many to be the upperbody squat.

AVBG

« Reply #31 on: February 08, 2007, 04:36:38 PM »
I just happened to see this reply. Haven't read this thread in a while. I must say weighted dips have been a staple in my chest routine for a long time. They work the lower and outer pecs as well as the triceps. This exercise is considered by many to be the upperbody squat.

very true Baby_Herc.. I do the dips (super-sets) with flat flys at the end of my chest workout.

GoneAway

• Getbig V
« Reply #32 on: February 08, 2007, 08:36:58 PM »

Thanks, BH. I've tried them for chest but not doing them at the moment. Instead I do them for triceps. Very taxing exercise.

pobrecito

• Getbig V
« Reply #33 on: February 11, 2007, 10:53:51 AM »
Training calves should be no different than any other muscle group.

Dorian Yates built the best calves of all-time training them once per week using two exercises, the standing and seated calf raise. His key was extreme poundages: 1400lbs on the standing calf raise.

The Luke

• Getbig IV
  • What's that in the bushes?
« Reply #34 on: February 11, 2007, 01:53:12 PM »
Training calves should be no different than any other muscle group.

Dorian Yates built the best calves of all-time training them once per week using two exercises, the standing and seated calf raise. His key was extreme poundages: 1400lbs on the standing calf raise.

True,

But Dorian is a pure blooded Irish/Scottish celt.... should people do what I do for my calves? Two sets of seated raises the first week of January? By the end of February my calves are usually up around the 18.75'' mark... they slowly shrink down to 17.5'' (cold) by around June and just stay there.

I'm Irish... 5'4''/5'5'' tall 210-225 lbs (pot belly) 20ish% bodyfat and my 17.5'' calves are simply ridiculously huge. But with a gastroc muscle that extends a full two thirds of the way down my lower leg, and only about five inches of Achilles tendon (due to a long and broad soleus muscle).... I'm man enough to admit I know very little about calf training and wouldn't expect anyone to follow my advices.

The Luke