Author Topic: Arnold Schwarzenegger - 💪Muscle gallery  (Read 2105077 times)

DroppingPlates

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team Pocahontas
Re: Arnold Schwarzenegger - Muscle gallery
« Reply #2375 on: November 01, 2015, 02:15:17 AM »
Other than Oliva, who do you think "rated" better than him 1970-75?

I'm not an expert in that era, but I always loved Serge Nubret's physique. Sure, he wasn't the biggest guy on stage, his back was lagging  and he was a bit shy on stage (like most guys back then), but he had a great shape.
Weird that they placed Franco 2nd in '73 :-\

Azzaro

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #2376 on: November 01, 2015, 02:27:39 AM »
peak arnold had great proportions. Yea he's pushing the tri out here but if you haven't got it, it won't show. Look at the size, volume and definition of that arm at pushing 70 and honestly say it aint impressive.
Rare shot

"Thanks to Weider Principles and products i'm better than ever....I dried up while gaining incredible mass...and the Mr Olympia title"

hench

• Getbig V
« Reply #2377 on: November 01, 2015, 03:00:39 AM »
Serge had one of those physiques that suffered when he opened up, his fdb was below par, same as his fls, he looked best just relaxed. Check at this side tri pic though, he looked good from the side. His relaxed back shot was great too.

I'm not an expert in that era, but I always loved Serge Nubret's physique. Sure, he wasn't the biggest guy on stage, his back was lagging  and he was a bit shy on stage (like most guys back then), but he had a great shape.

pellius

• Getbig V
  • RIP Keith Jones aka OnlyMe/NoWorries. 1/10/2011
« Reply #2378 on: November 01, 2015, 03:10:24 AM »

When I first saw "Pumping Iron" I wasn't familiar with bodybuilders and didn't know who any of the names of the time were then. The most jaw dropping scene for me is when they first introduced Serge Nubret. Seeing him just standing relaxed as his abs contracted and relaxed as he breathed was near shocking! I never saw anything like that ever in my entire life and just the sense of awe it instilled with me.

Upper body wise I like Serge better than Arnold when just standing relaxed. In comparison poses I did feel that Arnold was better in the majority of them. But as I don't walk around in real life striking bbing poses I would have prefer Serge's upper body over Arnold. But he really lost it in the leg department. When compared side by side and full length with Arnold I thought Arnold was vastly superior. Not only dwarfing Serge in over all size but Serge's legs, especially his calves, where such a glaring deficiency. It's odd that you would choose Serge as you are very critical of Arnold's quad development when Serge's is far weaker in the leg department.

I will say this: Serge achieved his greatest shape ever in 1975. Due to political reasons which I forget, he was told that he would not be allowed to compete. So he dropped his training prep and I forget how much weight and size he lost but I believe it was 15 pounds. Basile would know all this. Then at the last minute he was allowed to compete. I don't think there has been any photos published prior to the Mr. O except I believe one of them posted below. Assuming he was just 10-15 pounds heavier on stage than he was in 1975 then I think it would have been a different story. Not a different out come. No way Serge would be allowed to beat Arnold under any circumstances especially in South Africa in that time. But he would have beat him in the court of public opinion.

Perhaps at his all time best there would have been more truth to his warning to Arnold in the pump room, "Looks like I can take you."

pellius

• Getbig V
  • RIP Keith Jones aka OnlyMe/NoWorries. 1/10/2011
« Reply #2379 on: November 01, 2015, 03:14:11 AM »
Serge had one of those physiques that suffered when he opened up, his fdb was below par, same as his fls, he looked best just relaxed. Check at this side tri pic though, he looked good from the side. His relaxed back shot was great too.

That's it. That's exactly what I was trying to express. Standing relaxed he was flawless but you put it exactly right that much was lost when he "opened up". That why I think a good FDB is one of the hardest poses to look good in. Everything opens up and stretches out and the weaknesses shine. And that was one of Arnold's stronger poses.

DroppingPlates

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team Pocahontas
« Reply #2380 on: November 01, 2015, 06:19:38 AM »
When I first saw "Pumping Iron" I wasn't familiar with bodybuilders and didn't know who any of the names of the time were then. The most jaw dropping scene for me is when they first introduced Serge Nubret. Seeing him just standing relaxed as his abs contracted and relaxed as he breathed was near shocking! I never saw anything like that ever in my entire life and just the sense of awe it instilled with me.

Upper body wise I like Serge better than Arnold when just standing relaxed. In comparison poses I did feel that Arnold was better in the majority of them. But as I don't walk around in real life striking bbing poses I would have prefer Serge's upper body over Arnold. But he really lost it in the leg department. When compared side by side and full length with Arnold I thought Arnold was vastly superior. Not only dwarfing Serge in over all size but Serge's legs, especially his calves, where such a glaring deficiency. It's odd that you would choose Serge as you are very critical of Arnold's quad development when Serge's is far weaker in the leg department.

I will say this: Serge achieved his greatest shape ever in 1975. Due to political reasons which I forget, he was told that he would not be allowed to compete. So he dropped his training prep and I forget how much weight and size he lost but I believe it was 15 pounds. Basile would know all this. Then at the last minute he was allowed to compete. I don't think there has been any photos published prior to the Mr. O except I believe one of them posted below. Assuming he was just 10-15 pounds heavier on stage than he was in 1975 then I think it would have been a different story. Not a different out come. No way Serge would be allowed to beat Arnold under any circumstances especially in South Africa in that time. But he would have beat him in the court of public opinion.

Perhaps at his all time best there would have been more truth to his warning to Arnold in the pump room, "Looks like I can take you."

You're clearly better known with that era, so thank you for sharing that. You're correct about Serge's legs, they were clearly lagging. Calves? Well they count, but I believe that the importance of calves is overrated and most black guys simply have high insertions, no one is perfect..
Serge could could have done better on stage when he was posing with more confidence, but ok, this applies to many guys (also Robby for example).
Pretty sad how Serge's life ended in mysterious circumstances..

Simple Simon

« Reply #2381 on: November 01, 2015, 06:46:26 AM »

Which is the most important pose of all in real life.

hipolito mejia

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #2382 on: November 01, 2015, 10:41:17 AM »
So 'best' means average sized triceps?

It's what happened when you flex your arm what matters.

Best arms are those that beat the competition and  shall succeed generations to come

For the past 40 years Everybody wants arms like Arnold , Robby Robinson Albert Beckles

Winklar has huge triceps .....but who cares really ?

hazbin

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #2383 on: November 01, 2015, 10:50:23 AM »
back then judging was based 90% on the compulsory poses as long as you were in reasonably lean condition.  the super lean priority didn't start till the late 70's when zane started winning.  my interpretation of it anyway, judging criteria has never - and can never - be explained on a tangible level.

DroppingPlates

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team Pocahontas
« Reply #2384 on: November 01, 2015, 11:49:50 AM »
It's what happened when you flex your arm what matters.

Best arms are those that beat the competition and  shall succeed generations to come

For the past 40 years Everybody wants arms like Arnold , Robby Robinson Albert Beckles

Winklar has huge triceps .....but who cares really ?

Flexing your arm is just one single position, just like the bicep is just one part of the upper arm, roughly for 33%.

Nothing against those 3 old schoolers, but I don't need the opinions of others to define my own one.
It's pretty populistic these days to nag about the current generation of bodybuilders (speaking of beating dead horses...)
Roelly has often been credited for his great pair om arms, since his triceps are both thick and striated to the max.

Thespritz0

• Getbig IV
« Reply #2385 on: November 01, 2015, 01:34:24 PM »
Which is the most important pose of all in real life.
^^
Yep...

hipolito mejia

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #2386 on: November 01, 2015, 04:21:22 PM »
 ;D

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #2387 on: November 01, 2015, 04:55:08 PM »
back then judging was based 90% on the compulsory poses as long as you were in reasonably lean condition.  the super lean priority didn't start till the late 70's when zane started winning.  my interpretation of it anyway, judging criteria has never - and can never - be explained on a tangible level.
exactly,,zane created a marble masterpiece'his own'creation,zane knew hoe to pose his best like arnold ,accentuate the best for him was condition and classic poses,i watched a video of one of his mr o wins he posed for 3'35 sec :o,,each pose held for 3-5 sec's then segued into next pose which flowed effortlessly..today 90 seconds of crab shots,rear lat spread and fdb ,power shots ::)

Tarantula157

• Getbig III
« Reply #2388 on: November 01, 2015, 06:12:32 PM »
might not have seen this one either...
true

hipolito mejia

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #2389 on: November 01, 2015, 08:34:45 PM »
 ;D

hipolito mejia

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #2390 on: November 02, 2015, 01:18:11 PM »
 ;D

thebrink

• Getbig V
« Reply #2391 on: November 02, 2015, 02:14:55 PM »
So 'best' means average sized triceps?

Best looking arms. Not most developed. Remember, bodybuilding is about looking good  ;)

DroppingPlates

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team Pocahontas
« Reply #2392 on: November 02, 2015, 02:54:26 PM »
Best looking arms. Not most developed. Remember, bodybuilding is about looking good  ;)

An underdeveloped tri (or overdeveloped bi) doesn't look good to me.

jude2

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #2393 on: November 02, 2015, 07:56:17 PM »
;D
oil versus no oil. look at the difference.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #2394 on: November 07, 2015, 08:43:55 PM »

hipolito mejia

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #2395 on: November 08, 2015, 08:00:25 PM »
 ;)

hipolito mejia

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #2396 on: November 17, 2015, 07:29:42 AM »
 ;D

hipolito mejia

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #2397 on: November 17, 2015, 07:52:59 AM »
By his early 20's he already had the best legs in the business.

Legs only Getbiggers can hate of course.

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #2398 on: November 17, 2015, 08:40:09 AM »
By his early 20's he already had the best legs in the business.

Legs only Getbiggers can hate of course.
waist looks shopped or terrible in that pose ,,he did have wide waist from front...

hazbin

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #2399 on: November 17, 2015, 11:17:38 AM »
waist looks shopped or terrible in that pose ,,he did have wide waist from front...

something does look off in that pic, but oddly not to enhance or look better??  but he did have a wide waist and was smart enough to give a little twist to shrink its look substantially