Author Topic: Do people actually think having a car makes sense.  (Read 10222 times)

MikMaq

Do people actually think having a car makes sense.
« on: September 02, 2012, 03:18:52 PM »
Seriously are people really that stupid to believe that the average american should have a car. Ive encountered alot of people lately that believe students should be allowed cars while possessing government backed student loans.

Am I missing something here, Id love for a coherent reason to own a car but I can find none other than status symbol.

To keep this bodybuilding related my primary concern is the fitness of the masses. ::)

Nomad

• Getbig IV
Re: Do people actually think having a car makes sense.
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2012, 03:20:30 PM »
Seriously are people really that stupid to believe that the average american should have a car. Ive encountered alot of people lately that believe students should be allowed cars while possessing government backed student loans.

Am I missing something here, Id love for a coherent reason to own a car but I can find none other than status symbol.

To keep this bodybuilding related my primary concern is the fitness of the masses. ::)

How do you get groceries?
all drugs - TPPIIP

MikMaq

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2012, 03:21:53 PM »
I always live within a ten minute walk to the grocery store, well actually its crossing a parking lot at the moment. Even if I didnt itd be far cheaper to get a cab, once every 2 weeks.
next stupid question please.

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2012, 03:22:18 PM »

are you retarded? oh nevermind retard.

G_Thang

• Getbig V
  • The World South of the USA isnt for pussies!
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2012, 03:23:04 PM »
 ::)

$5+ a day in bus and trolley fairs in California, which equals about $200 a month.  Oh, and 2 hours to travel 25 miles with transfers and all, because there are NO FUCKING DIRECT ROUTES!

Now, please die!

haider

• Getbig V
  • Team Batman Squats
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2012, 03:23:05 PM »
Did not have to look at the username to guess the thread was started by a retard
follow the arrows

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2012, 03:23:46 PM »

Translated = you couldn't answer 3 out of 5 questions correctly on Repo Games so they took your car.
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

MikMaq

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2012, 03:29:08 PM »
::)

$5+ a day in bus and trolley fairs in California, which equals about $200 a month.  Oh, and 2 hours to travel 25 miles with transfers and all, because there are NO FUCKING DIRECT ROUTES!

Now, please die!
California is expensive no matter which way you choose to live. But seriously the transit in the states is the shit, I get that you need it because your cities suck, but that isnt why having a car makes sense, thats because you have no choice.

Radical Plato

• Getbig V
  • Rhetoric is the art of ruling the minds of men.
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2012, 03:31:00 PM »
V

MikMaq

« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2012, 03:31:24 PM »
Translated = you couldn't answer 3 out of 5 questions correctly on Repo Games so they took your car.
My parents offered me a car, I did not take, because I would have to be slightly less righteous when trolling, and because it wouldnt benefit me. This is a real question, other than living in a shitty city(which I dont), I cant see why anyone would ever need a car.

DKlent

• Getbig III
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2012, 03:38:42 PM »

WTF are you talking about??  What a dumb ass thread!

1. I own a car because my school is a 20 minute drive from where I live. No direct Bus routes. It takes me 20 minutes to get to school in my car, it would take me over 2 hours to get to school on a bus.

2. When I grocery shop, I usually get a large single bag of groceries. Too heavy to carry or too heavy to bike. Also buses don't run late at night when I do my shopping due to my school and work schedules.

3. I often take trips out of the city to visit friends and family. Taking a bus or a cab to do this would be far too difficult and pointless on a cost basis.

4. What do student loans have to do with anything? Students get money, which they must pay back anyway, thus they shouldn't be able to drive cars? That's the dumbest thing I've heard today jackass.

5. Having "No choice" in having a car or not IS A REASON why it "makes sense". Tell me how, in a rational coherent manner, why not having a car makes sense if you MUST have a car to function?  ::)

6. I agree, transit systems in America suck. One more reason to have a car.

7. I own my car, paid it down. Paid 1,300 for it and put thousands more of work into it over the years. It isn't pretty but it gets me from A. to B.

8. When I go to school I take many classes, and this usually means a backpack weighing well over 50lbs. Biking, or even walking, the distance to school would not work with such a load. Not to mention other things I carry for school for projects and such.

9. Rent closer to campus is too high and the houses closer to campus are ghetto and crappy.

And finally...

10. Shut the fuck up.

Parker

• Getbig V
  • He Sees The Stormy Anger Of The World
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2012, 03:39:49 PM »

Gen Y doesn't believe in driving, as many can't afford the cars that they want or can't afford a car period. Plus, many don't see the need to drive to see their friends, when they can text of message them. Meeting face to face has been replaced by the internet...

And then there is the laziness factor...why drive when you can do everything at home or have your parents do it. Which is why Driverless cars are being pushed. So that people can do what they want (Facebooking, texting) without the trouble of actually driving a car.

If you have ever had the joy of driving a great RWD cad like a M3, Porsche 911, Lexus IS, or even a Mustang, or regular BMW, then you would never ask the question. The feeling of a great handling car is a great feeling. Plus the fact that you can control it, it give you confidence.

quadzilla456

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2012, 03:41:30 PM »
Did not have to look at the username to guess the thread was started by a retard
lol!

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2012, 03:48:10 PM »
"ive met many people recently who believe students should be allowed cars while possessing government backed student loans"

it seems to me you think the government should outlaw this from happening ?

just a couple points..   

1. alot of people dont live close enough to work and school in order to walk or ride a bike there and they dont have access to public transportation that could provide them transportation either.

2. those who do have access to public transportation alot of times the public transport isnt economical in terms of affordability.

3. yes, the current economic system we have is completely unsustainable and  big part of that has to do with the extremely prevalent useage of combustion engines to provide transport for people who do not live in close proximity to their work/school/family/entertainment/shopping destinations.

4. in order to cure these problems..  whats the solution ? dont know. hard to say. ideally we would have everyone living where they wrk. ideally everyone would be working in environmentally sustaiable production careers. ideally we would have pollution free public transportation avilable at affordable costs for everyone who needs it. etc etc etc

el numero uno

• Getbig V
  • Clean your room, bucko.
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2012, 04:02:03 PM »

WTF are you talking about??  What a dumb ass thread!

1. I own a car because my school is a 20 minute drive from where I live. No direct Bus routes. It takes me 20 minutes to get to school in my car, it would take me over 2 hours to get to school on a bus.

2. When I grocery shop, I usually get a large single bag of groceries. Too heavy to carry or too heavy to bike. Also buses don't run late at night when I do my shopping due to my school and work schedules.

3. I often take trips out of the city to visit friends and family. Taking a bus or a cab to do this would be far too difficult and pointless on a cost basis.

4. What do student loans have to do with anything? Students get money, which they must pay back anyway, thus they shouldn't be able to drive cars? That's the dumbest thing I've heard today jackass.

5. Having "No choice" in having a car or not IS A REASON why it "makes sense". Tell me how, in a rational coherent manner, why not having a car makes sense if you MUST have a car to function?  ::)

6. I agree, transit systems in America suck. One more reason to have a car.

7. I own my car, paid it down. Paid 1,300 for it and put thousands more of work into it over the years. It isn't pretty but it gets me from A. to B.

8. When I go to school I take many classes, and this usually means a backpack weighing well over 50lbs. Biking, or even walking, the distance to school would not work with such a load. Not to mention other things I carry for school for projects and such.

9. Rent closer to campus is too high and the houses closer to campus are ghetto and crappy.

And finally...

10. Shut the fuck up.

Dumbass reasons, you can do everything you just mentioned putting a little bit more effort. However if you can really afford it then  buy it, a lot of people need a car anyway.

andreisdaman

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2012, 04:09:52 PM »

in NY city there's a grocery on every corner

MikMaq

« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2012, 04:12:44 PM »
Gen Y doesn't believe in driving, as many can't afford the cars that they want or can't afford a car period. Plus, many don't see the need to drive to see their friends, when they can text of message them. Meeting face to face has been replaced by the internet...

And then there is the laziness factor...why drive when you can do everything at home or have your parents do it. Which is why Driverless cars are being pushed. So that people can do what they want (Facebooking, texting) without the trouble of actually driving a car.

If you have ever had the joy of driving a great RWD cad like a M3, Porsche 911, Lexus IS, or even a Mustang, or regular BMW, then you would never ask the question. The feeling of a great handling car is a great feeling. Plus the fact that you can control it, it give you confidence.

First off I love cars a bigger factor in why I dont want a beater, is if Im driving it needs to be a descent car to be enjoyable.

And the social shit is total nonsense if I had to pay for insurance and gas, my going out budget would be destroyed, not only would I have to give up drinking, but Id have to find parking every time Im hanging with my friends. This is one of the main reasons why I didnt bother with a free car, insurance would be 200 a month( which would cover my liquor) , still would need cab fare when I drink, not to mention Id need a contingency fund for breakdowns.

Dumbass reasons, you can do everything you just mentioned putting a little bit more effort. However if you can really afford it then  buy it, a lot of people need a car anyway.
Id have no problem with people owning cars if they werent getting into debt to purchase them, but logically a large part of  the population cant afford a car in cash, which means they shouldnt have one in the first fucking place.

Irongrip400

• Getbig V
  • Pan Germanism, Pax Britannica
« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2012, 04:13:15 PM »
I just got in my car, went to Total Wine and picked up a six pack of Bitburger beer and a Macanudo. How do I get that back to my house on a bike?

MikMaq

« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2012, 04:15:18 PM »
I just got in my car, went to Total Wine and picked up a six pack of Bitburger beer and a Macanudo. How do I get that back to my house on a bike?
Well you could just drink at a bar since you wouldnt have to cheap out to pay for it.

Irongrip400

• Getbig V
  • Pan Germanism, Pax Britannica
« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2012, 04:19:49 PM »
Well you could just drink at a bar since you wouldnt have to cheap out to pay for it.

Did that Friday night. Now I'm just home and reflecting. You know, bossin it up.

Parker

• Getbig V
  • He Sees The Stormy Anger Of The World
« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2012, 04:21:34 PM »
Man, you can get a good beater, you can get a Crown Vic for 500-800 dollars, hook it up, and they last for yrs. Or you can get a nice beater for 5k...

There are literally tons of cars out there that people can get w/o going broke. The problem is, too many people think that they "deserve" the best, when you have to work for it.

arce1988

• Getbig V
  • ARCE USA USMC
« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2012, 04:23:03 PM »
  Ride a bike

Nirvana

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: September 02, 2012, 04:23:17 PM »

MikMaq

« Reply #23 on: September 02, 2012, 04:44:07 PM »
Man, you can get a good beater, you can get a Crown Vic for 500-800 dollars, hook it up, and they last for yrs. Or you can get a nice beater for 5k...

There are literally tons of cars out there that people can get w/o going broke. The problem is, too many people think that they "deserve" the best, when you have to work for it.
You got me atleast interested, how much do you actually pay a month.

I figured to be about 300-500 a month including average out repairs insurance, registration, and gas.

Natural Man

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: September 02, 2012, 05:04:31 PM »
the real question is, do families need more than one car... to his ill answer NO. There s a right middle to be found between no car and 3 or 4 cars for a family.