Author Topic: Over 45 training  (Read 415099 times)

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Re: Over 45 training
« Reply #250 on: August 13, 2015, 07:49:38 AM »
I train the tibialis anterior with this thing.  Works perfect. Great for runners to keep the foot stable to prevent shin splints. 

I still have zero calf development. I might have negative calves.  ;D

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #251 on: August 13, 2015, 07:53:28 AM »
I train the tibialis anterior with this thing.  Works perfect. Great for runners to keep the foot stable to prevent shin splints. 

I still have zero calf development. I might have negative calves.  ;D
yeah..this... ;)

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #252 on: August 13, 2015, 08:06:47 AM »
Worked delts and arms today. No warm ups listed.

Dumbbell press 2 x 10 ( complete failure on last rep)
Dumbbell laterals 2 x 10
Rear dumbbell laterals 2 x 12
Barbell shrugs 2 x 10 (thinking about using the hammer strength shrug machine but I just don't see how this is better or worse)

Weighted dips 2 x 10 (deep using a 25lbs plate)
Seated behind head pulley tricep extensions 2 x 8
traditional tricep push downs 3 x 10

EZ curl bicep 2 x 10
Nautilus machine alternate curl 3 x 8 (feels fantastic)
Pulley curls with a straight bar 2 x 10

reverse barbell curls 2 x 10 ( felt really weak in these. Used 80lbs)
wrist curls 2 x 20 90lbs.

ab coaster 2 x 25 with 25lbs of resistance
Twisting ab machine 2 x 10 ( one of the best ab machines I have ever used)

Gym observations:

1. Sad looking really big powerlifting physique type guy who comes to the gym and just does one exercise a day. Today was squats. He will spend 45 minutes on squats and leave. Just looks sad sitting around between sets.

2. Gym was packed with steroid guys. Do they all consult each other to dress alike prior to training. They wear the same uniform. A baseball type cap on backward, ear buds or full head sets; ratty tank tops, high top sneakers, knee length shorts and their gallon jug of water.  Most of them have the steroid bloat look to their muscles.

3. The gym steroid mayor was giving advice to a girl working out. Over heard him say something to the effect, " I know you don't want my advice but let me tell you about a person that didn't listen to me. I saw him on his back in a pool of sweat injured because he didn't listen to me."  I want so bad to punch this guy in the face.

4. One big in shape bodybuilder who looks like a fashion model has the most effeminate mannerisms and voice.  It just doesn't go with his image.

5. I said it before. Some of the most hardest trainers and most knowledgeable ones are some of the females here.  

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #253 on: August 13, 2015, 11:42:13 AM »
Worked delts and arms today. No warm ups listed.

Dumbbell press 2 x 10 ( complete failure on last rep)
Dumbbell laterals 2 x 10
Rear dumbbell laterals 2 x 12
Barbell shrugs 2 x 10 (thinking about using the hammer strength shrug machine but I just don't see how this is better or worse)

Weighted dips 2 x 10 (deep using a 25lbs plate)
Seated behind head pulley tricep extensions 2 x 8
traditional tricep push downs 3 x 10

EZ curl bicep 2 x 10
Nautilus machine alternate curl 3 x 8 (feels fantastic)
Pulley curls with a straight bar 2 x 10

reverse barbell curls 2 x 10 ( felt really weak in these. Used 80lbs)
wrist curls 2 x 20 90lbs.

ab coaster 2 x 25 with 25lbs of resistance
Twisting ab machine 2 x 10 ( one of the best ab machines I have ever used)

Gym observations:

1. Sad looking really big powerlifting physique type guy who comes to the gym and just does one exercise a day. Today was squats. He will spend 45 minutes on squats and leave. Just looks sad sitting around between sets.

2. Gym was packed with steroid guys. Do they all consult each other to dress alike prior to training. The wear the same uniform. A baseball type cap, ear buds or full head sets; ratty tank tops, high top sneakers, knee length shorts and their gallon jug of water.  Most of them have the steroid bloat look to their muscles.

3. The gym steroid mayor was giving advice to a girl working out. Over heard him say something to the effect, " I know you don't want my advice but let me tell you about a person that didn't listen to me. I saw him on his back in a pool of sweat injured because he didn't listen to me."  I want so bad to punch this guy in the face.

4. On big in shape bodybuilder who looks like a fashion model has the most effeminate mannerisms and voice.  It just doesn't go with his image.

5. I said it before. Some of the most hardest trainers and most knowledgeable ones are some of the females here.  
would love to see a pic of gym, course i know it's impossible not proper gym etiquette [probably misspelled]. i get a kick out of this too i have a free pass to the 3 gold's gyms in my area... some of what you see is really funny...one guy probably weighs about 350 lbs sits in the middle of the dumbell area surrounded by the biggest dbs in the place, have yet to see him do one rep with them however... steroid dudes with horrible acne jizzing up the benches and such... skinny guys hiding in the crevices of the gym taking it all in...the ballerinas guys in tights dancing to the music in their headsets very effintemately i might add.old guys[ i should talk] walking in front of people during their set to grab a 10 lb db to take to some remote area to do who knows what with..... it's a zoo i tell you a zoo.. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
F

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #254 on: August 13, 2015, 12:58:35 PM »
back.

started with ,,tbar row standup chest to pad version,,,warmed with 45 ,,2 plates/2.5/2.5
upper pulldown to chest with small narrow bar x3 160/170/170
cable low row 160/180/180
behind neck pulldowns x3...these do not bother me like some people ..its old school stretch ..
finished wide grip chin ups x3x10 I was done by these,,,

traps,,did some extra work here..
shrugs...225/275/275/295
cable shrug single handle done together and pulled them towards rear a bit x3

CALVES 5 SETS'pigeoned towed calf raises....160-220,,feet positions depends sometimes they work a bit more,,i know Donny says ehh...

abs

It is interesting that you do chin-ups well into your routine. I do them first because they are hard for me and I don't want to poop out too soon.

I've noticed most folks, like you, use a lot of resistance on barbell shrugs. Although I can handle a fair amount of resistance, for me, it limits the range of movement somewhat. What is your take on doing them heavy verses going lighter? I hold the weight at the top for a second or so. I also try to roll my shoulders either forward or back for a complete attack on the traps. I also like the cable upright row for traps.

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #255 on: August 13, 2015, 01:02:45 PM »
It is interesting that you do chin-ups well into your routine. I do them first because they are hard for me and I don't want to poop out too soon.

I've noticed most folks, like you, use a lot of resistance on barbell shrugs. Although I can handle a fair amount of resistance, for me, it limits the range of movement somewhat. What is your take on doing them heavy verses going lighter? I hold the weight at the top for a second or so. I also try to roll my shoulders either forward or back for a complete attack on the traps. I also like the cable upright row for traps.
WELL...I LIKE CABLE UPRIGHTS,,I DO THEM WIDER AND ONLY ABOVE MID CHEST LEVEL AS TO HIT SIDE DELTS MORE,,,SHRUGS I DO A HOLD LIKE YOU OR MORE POWER UP AND STRETCH AT BOTTOM..I DO BOTH LIGHTER REPS AT 20 WITH 225,,275 I DO FOR 12 USUALLY SO ITS HEAVY AND REPS ,,315 IS MAXX

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #256 on: August 13, 2015, 01:14:17 PM »
WELL...I LIKE CABLE UPRIGHTS,,I DO THEM WIDER AND ONLY ABOVE MID CHEST LEVEL AS TO HIT SIDE DELTS MORE,,,SHRUGS I DO A HOLD LIKE YOU OR MORE POWER UP AND STRETCH AT BOTTOM..I DO BOTH LIGHTER REPS AT 20 WITH 225,,275 I DO FOR 12 USUALLY SO ITS HEAVY AND REPS ,,315 IS MAXX

I prefer using the Hammer Strength Plate-Loaded Iso-Lateral Horizontal Bench Press for shrugs. I straddle the bench grab the handles and I am good to go. There is something about the angle of the handles that really works well for me. I also like that they are iso-lateral so you can't cheat with your stronger side.

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #257 on: August 13, 2015, 01:15:18 PM »
I prefer using the Hammer Strength Plate-Loaded Iso-Lateral Horizontal Bench Press for shrugs. I straddle the bench grab the handles and I am good to go. There is something about the angle of the handles that really works well for me. I also like that they are iso-lateral so you can't cheat with your stronger side.

I USE IT TOO EVERY OTHER TRAP WORKOUT  ALSO,I TURNED AROUND AND DO REAR SHRUGS TOO...

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #258 on: August 13, 2015, 06:08:47 PM »
I USE IT TOO EVERY OTHER TRAP WORKOUT  ALSO,I TURNED AROUND AND DO REAR SHRUGS TOO...

I should try this. The advantage is that I wouldn't have to look at my mug in the mirror.  ;D

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #259 on: August 13, 2015, 08:15:09 PM »
delts
 front press,,135/155/165....165-135-115 drop

side laterals seated 20/25/25/25 dbls

rear cable raises bent over x3

45 lb plate in hand front raises  these are good x3

wide uprights x3,,chest level hits side delts ,,

bi's
culrs premade curls bar 70/80/80
db incline curls 30/35/35
rope hammers x3

forarms
4 sets behind back reverse wrist curls and  4 reverse wrist curls on knee

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #260 on: August 14, 2015, 07:45:00 AM »
delts
 front press,,135/155/165....165-135-115 drop

side laterals seated 20/25/25/25 dbls

rear cable raises bent over x3

45 lb plate in hand front raises  these are good x3

wide uprights x3,,chest level hits side delts ,,

bi's
culrs premade curls bar 70/80/80
db incline curls 30/35/35
rope hammers x3

forarms
4 sets behind back reverse wrist curls and  4 reverse wrist curls on knee
front raises are great with a plate and also the Neider press. be glad to eventually get back to normal training.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #261 on: August 14, 2015, 05:51:41 PM »
Did nothing today except go to work. At work they had a meeting that was catered. I foolishly ate to my heart's content. Then  I came home and drank beer in the pool until I thought my stomach would explode.  Tomorrow is another day off or I will train back and chest.  Looking forward to the beach tomorrow.

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #262 on: August 14, 2015, 07:11:28 PM »
well once in a while a wrinkle gets thrown in your way in terms health,,,last sundays leg workout went great as usual,and i played in small pool with kids we have'garden hose water fillup lol'may be or maybe not contributed don't know,mon i felt weird /different in my groin/private area,like i overdid something possible front squats i been doing on v squat ,tried to get mind around it...so tues/wed/thurs i'm peeing every hour and it getting a bit sharp /dull pain on top 'my member'i drank a lot water/cranberry juice for a day ,today fri i said i still feel crappy,did n't affect my training overall,,,so go to doctor today for check emergency,,i took at home pee test for urinary infection it appeared i had one on the stick,,i give some urine to nurse she checks vitals all fine ..no fever,,dr comes in bluntly says your urines clean whats up,,i said don't know i feel this.this and this ok...lets talk  ..ok..

do u use steroids/gh..
how many days training
have u used a different bike in gym/home/rode a horse lol..
just weights?
are u hydrating u seem dry hmmmm..that got me thinking
kidney stones in family or my history
how much protein do u think u eat?

personal now
sex how much ?i say i'm married /wife works nights,,so its sketchy
affair or other sexual contacts,,i say huh ahh no....

he checks my nuts/glands/around abdomen
jams finger in my ass'''whooo nellie thats a first for me..prostate good..relieved
as part of his protocal to give anti biotic a chlamydia test is given,,fuck burns to have a stick swabbed in the pee hole huh prime muscle...

so,,,i'm on anti biotic ,feel better not peeing much now thats a relief,,

i burn the candle to stay lean a bit much as i get older still wanting perfection...my fault i do not drink water and it caught up to me,,i will drink my ass off now on,,,couple things i believe brought this on,,,after summer i am going to slowly bring back 5-10 lbs over winter again my body like looking ripped but i bet hates the process...

hope i did not bore u guys...

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #263 on: August 15, 2015, 05:14:08 AM »
I'm confused Flex? Urinary track infection or kidney stones? I hope you feel better soon.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #264 on: August 15, 2015, 04:28:16 PM »
I am confused too, Steve. An antibiotic is usually the course of action for a urinary track infection. Peeing a lot is also an indication that this is what you had/have. I'm curious, did the doctor prescribe Cypro (Ciprofloxacin). It is the go-to antibiotic for urinary track infections.

Don't get paranoid about your kidneys. It is a good idea to take in fluids, preferably those that aren't diuretics, like coke, coffee and alcohol are. As with everything, you can overdo the fluid intake which is also harmful, just like not getting enough is. If one's kidneys aren't functioning well, sometimes the nephrologist will suggest one reduce their protein intake. Kidney stones are another issue altogether and if you were trying to pass a kidney stone, believe me when I say you'd know it. My wife passed kidney stones a few times. She said it was worse than giving birth. You could have a kidney infection, which is part of the urinary track as is a bladder infection. If you start having a lot of bladder infections that seem to come right back when you finish a course of antibiotics, that is an indicator that something in your bladder is causing them. I had a "growth" removed from my bladder when I was a little younger than you.

You're right, getting poked and prodded is not much fun. For more years then I care to remember my urologist preformed cystoscopies, as a result of my having the bladder growth. For these at least the doctor numbs the part of your urethra that has nerve endings. I don't know how some folks escape the doctor's finger stuck up their butt. My doctors have bee doing this since I was in my early 20's. If you think about the size of what comes out of your butthole, you'd realize a finger should be no big deal. It's not like it means you and your doctor are engaged.  ;D

You are going to be fine. There's no rule that says you start falling apart in your 40's.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #265 on: August 15, 2015, 04:43:11 PM »
Today I trained legs and abs. Odd combo, huh?

First was 30 minutes of cardio. I got my heart rate up pretty high according to the machines, which probably aren't that accurate.

Nautilus leg extensions, 4X15,12,10 & 8
Nautilus seated leg curls, 4X15,12,10 & 8
Nautilus adductions and abductions, 4 X 12 each
Leg Press, 5X15-8
Reverse hack squats, 3 X 12-8
Seated calf raises, 4X12
Ab-Coaster, 4X12 using all three positions.

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #266 on: August 15, 2015, 08:27:43 PM »
I am confused too, Steve. An antibiotic is usually the course of action for a urinary track infection. Peeing a lot is also an indication that this is what you had/have. I'm curious, did the doctor prescribe Cypro (Ciprofloxacin). It is the go-to antibiotic for urinary track infections.

Don't get paranoid about your kidneys. It is a good idea to take in fluids, preferably those that aren't diuretics, like coke, coffee and alcohol are. As with everything, you can overdo the fluid intake which is also harmful, just like not getting enough is. If one's kidneys aren't functioning well, sometimes the nephrologist will suggest one reduce their protein intake. Kidney stones are another issue altogether and if you were trying to pass a kidney stone, believe me when I say you'd know it. My wife passed kidney stones a few times. She said it was worse than giving birth. You could have a kidney infection, which is part of the urinary track as is a bladder infection. If you start having a lot of bladder infections that seem to come right back when you finish a course of antibiotics, that is an indicator that something in your bladder is causing them. I had a "growth" removed from my bladder when I was a little younger than you.

You're right, getting poked and prodded is not much fun. For more years then I care to remember my urologist preformed cystoscopies, as a result of my having the bladder growth. For these at least the doctor numbs the part of your urethra that has nerve endings. I don't know how some folks escape the doctor's finger stuck up their butt. My doctors have bee doing this since I was in my early 20's. If you think about the size of what comes out of your butthole, you'd realize a finger should be no big deal. It's not like it means you and your doctor are engaged.  ;D

You are going to be fine. There's no rule that says you start falling apart in your 40's.
i'm fine,,,feel better already..like i said my urine was clean..he thought i wasn't hydrated and eating too much protein disrupted something causing the infection,,like i said he gave me test for the 'clap'i'm confused on that one...i took a home 'uti'test at my moms it said i at least showed signs of it being positive,,,dr said no..can't rule out a 'stone'either have to see how i finish here..just statrted day 3 anti bitics feel a bit better thought i would be more tho,,peeing fine but still some discomfort in top area 'sensitive',,around all this the 3 kids are very wearing on the household and 2 of us ,i can't afford to be sick  :-\.

leg day

lying sled press..x4
v squat faced normal  way been doing it facing in..3/4/5 plates side
walking lunges 80 lbs on back.x2
extensions 205 x20/220x12/235x12

hams
standing leg curl new machine single leg as well x4 60-100 x10 reps
sldl 185-1205-225

calves seated calf raise x5

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #267 on: August 16, 2015, 10:10:10 AM »
Yesterday I trained back and chest.  I can't get over how a million dollar gym has the junkiest barbells. They are just about smooth with little knurling. I find it hard to deadlift with them and have resorted to straps. The barbell in my house gives me a solid grip to lift.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #268 on: August 17, 2015, 01:02:51 AM »
Yesterday I trained back and chest.  I can't get over how a million dollar gym has the junkiest barbells. They are just about smooth with little knurling. I find it hard to deadlift with them and have resorted to straps. The barbell in my house gives me a solid grip to lift.
lucky at ours the weights are good, training wise I  was out running early this morning as its cooler. Spent a great weekend in Frankfurt at my brothers .

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #269 on: August 17, 2015, 04:44:18 PM »
Trained legs today at home. I keep tweaking something in my hip every time I train legs in the commercial gym. At home I'm fine. I think I know the reason. I use Olympic lifting shoes at home and at the gym running shoes. Running shoes are like trying to squat on a mattress. No stability.  That could be the reason but I'm not sure. Just can't take anymore set backs. Playing it safe using my own leg press and squat stands.

Getting burned out from lifting heavy. Soon I will lower the poundage and increase the sets for a break. I'm very conscience of using moderate weights when I shouldn't give a damn what anyone thinks.

One girl who is in amazing shape said too many men are too egotistical to use a proper weight. We all know that is true by all the limited range of motion we all see small ego guys so they can use the big weight.  

andreisdaman

• Getbig V
« Reply #270 on: August 17, 2015, 04:53:19 PM »
Trained legs today at home. I keep tweaking something in my hip every time I train legs in the commercial gym. At home I'm fine. I think I know the reason. I use Olympic lifting shoes at home and the gym running shoes. Running shoes are like trying to squat on a mattress. No stability.  That could be the reason but I'm not sure. Just can't take anymore set backs. Playing it safe using my own leg press and squat stands.

Getting burned out from lifting heavy. Soon I will lower the poundage and increase the sets for a break. I'm very conscience of using moderate weights when I shouldn't give a damn what anyone thinks.

One girl who is in amazing shape said too many men are too egotistical to use a proper weight. We all know that is true by all the limited range of motion we all see small ego guys can use the big weight. 
Men are certainly egotistical but I tend to think that the reason men don't use the "proper weight" is because we've been told by bodybuilding mantra that we must continuously keep lifting heavier and heavier in order to make progress...which is why we keep pushing ourselves until we injure ourselves and/or burn out....maybe we should just get the weight up to where we feel comfortable BUT can still work up a good sweat and pump..and then leave it at that......I know its hard to concede when we have reached our natural limits but its a thought.....

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #271 on: August 17, 2015, 05:55:28 PM »
Men are certainly egotistical but I tend to think that the reason men don't use the "proper weight" is because we've been told by bodybuilding mantra that we must continuously keep lifting heavier and heavier in order to make progress...which is why we keep pushing ourselves until we injure ourselves and/or burn out....maybe we should just get the weight up to where we feel comfortable BUT can still work up a good sweat and pump..and then leave it at that......I know its hard to concede when we have reached our natural limits but its a thought.....

If we have been lifting for decades how much stronger can you get? If that's the goal and the protocol to a great body we would start with a 135 lbs bench have a goal of a 1000lbs bench. I think a goal of gaining muscular endurance will have a longer training life longevity. Not talking about cardio but muscular endurance. An example of this is seeing how little rest between sets using  5 sets of ten say in a bench instead of doing the old 6-4-2-1 rep range.

I notice a pattern with most champion bodybuilders. Not all but many. Many lifted heavy during their early years and then for muscular endurance in their championship years.  Arnold and Draper both said outside of their muscular endurance training that they include a heavy day picking an exercise to max out on like a bench or a deadlift.

I'm 56 years old and I'm still looking for answers. I couldn't come in last place in a Mr. Nowhere contest but I look muscular, I'm healthy and get compliments for being in shape. Maybe that's all I need out of training.

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
« Reply #272 on: August 17, 2015, 08:37:55 PM »
Trained legs today at home. I keep tweaking something in my hip every time I train legs in the commercial gym. At home I'm fine. I think I know the reason. I use Olympic lifting shoes at home and at the gym running shoes. Running shoes are like trying to squat on a mattress. No stability.  That could be the reason but I'm not sure. Just can't take anymore set backs. Playing it safe using my own leg press and squat stands.

One girl who is in amazing shape said too many men are too egotistical to use a proper weight. We all know that is true by all the limited range of motion we all see small ego guys so they can use the big weight.  
Ever watch someone's feet when they squat in running shoes?  Couple of youngins asked for squat advice, first thing I did was point out the shoes, of course they argued it didn't matter, so I had them watch each others feet during their respective sets. They switched to barefoot and were blown away by the difference.  Kids!!
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #273 on: August 17, 2015, 10:00:02 PM »
One thing about squating barefoot is that you can develop a better feel and actually a better grip on the floor/matt/whatever. Which can insures prime balance and adjust to a weight/load shift (they go together in squatting).

Just like guys who do toe raises (or any othe direct calf work) can develop a better full stretch, than when wearing training shoes. Except for maybe martial arts/wrestler (actually ballet style slippers) foot wear. That better toe grip seems also to hit the front of the calf quite well also.

Most of the time I've squatted barefooted since grade school. Find it also help greatly with standing on surfboards and paddle boards, with the improved toe grip and foot balance. Sometimes squatting, stepups, one legged squats, with flip flops or sandals on occasion.

Good Luck.
F

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #274 on: August 17, 2015, 11:41:47 PM »

If it were up to me, I would lift barefoot. Our feet were designed to support the weight of our bodies plus some additional poundage. A long time ago, I joined a naked run around an island on the Columbia river at Rooster Rock. on the eastern and southern parts of the island you'd sink ankle deep in the sand or muck. It wasn't a long run, but it was also not a run for the faint of heart. I loved it. Personally I think shoes hinder us. We weren't born with shoes, why do we need them to exercise?