Author Topic: Apparantly we missed a huge solar flare new years day that wouldve destroyed us  (Read 8576 times)

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
and notably extinct in almost all of them... poor nascar.
only the grizzly.

The black bear is doing pretty well.

Even in California.

Parker

• Getbig V
  • He Sees The Stormy Anger Of The World
Anybody who thinks a flare or CME cannot do large damage is uninformed.   Such an occurrence could plunge an entire country or continent into the dark ages - taking months or years to recover.  You don't need to be a particularly sharp individual to understand that the removal of electricity from society for an extended period of time will result in the emergence of a rather robust "competitive" environment (chaos).  A lot of people will die from such a situation.

There is an alarmingly poor readiness level for such a prospect and it is far more likely than most phenomena that doomsday retards constantly obsess upon.

If that happens and your region loses power.  Get your looting pants on. 

Probably the most hilarious country for it to happen, would be the US - because of the amount of guns.  If you've got a case of beans and I'm starving - well.. it's pistols at dawn and uhh, I don't even like beans ;D

A (direct enough) gamma ray burst is highly unlikely and would result in complete sterilisation, so not really worth worrying about.  There is at least one known star that is projected to be roughly aligned but I believe measurements have cleared it from being truly likely.
this x a million. I was listening to this guy on NPR I believe it was, and he is/was a former NASA employee. He was saying that 2012 was an unprecedented year for Solar Flares, and spoke about what could happen. He said that we are woefully underprepared for catastrophes like Sandy, Katrina, let alone a huge solar flare.
We have spent billions on military defense, but not that much on preparedness for disasters. I mean, our infrastructure is falling apart.

rocket

• Getbig V
  • Yes. Your retarted.
Why would I shoot you over beans when I can go shoot a bear and eat well?

For the same reason you might shoot me over a bear - because the number of bears are finite and are vastly lower than would satisfy the entire population of the US.  Sooner or later, things become rare and that is when competition for food will increase. 

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
For the same reason you might shoot me over a bear - because the number of bears are finite and are vastly lower than would satisfy the entire population of the US.  Sooner or later, things become rare and that is when competition for food will increase. 

So you're saying that the US will not be able to farm and cultivate and hunt for food because the power is out?

Jadeveon Clowney

• Getbig V
  • The life is like a case of chocolate bonbon.
So you're saying that the US will not be able to farm and cultivate and hunt for food because the power is out?

let's see - IT guy is going to track, kill, skin and eat an apex predator or IT guy is going to pull a gun on ITer guy and steal his Cheetos? I'm going with the latter.

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
let's see - IT guy is going to track, kill, skin and eat an apex predator or IT guy is going to pull a gun on ITer guy and steal his Cheetos? I'm going with the latter.

You think I always grew up doing IT work?

Hahaha... okee dokee.

You keep on thinking that.

I have noticed you like stalking me on getbig though... How's that working out for you?

Jadeveon Clowney

• Getbig V
You think I always grew up doing IT work?

Hahaha... okee dokee.

You keep on thinking that.

I have noticed you like stalking me on getbig though... How's that working out for you?

my bad. you were, of course, a special forces stud who decided to go the IT route - happens all the time. 

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
my bad. you were, of course, a special forces stud who decided to go the IT route - happens all the time.  

No... I was a kid who's dad was a huge redneck (Actually redneck is too kind... He was a hick... He was genetically what rednecks work to be.) who took him hunting and fishing as a youngster... When I was in High School we all skipped the first day of deer season.

I suppose that kind of logic is lost on you though.

Jadeveon Clowney

• Getbig V
No... I was a kid who's dad was a huge redneck (Actually redneck is too kind... He was a hick... He was genetically what rednecks work to be.) who took him hunting and fishing as a youngster... When I was in High School we all skipped the first day of deer season.

I suppose that kind of logic is lost on you though.

so you sat in a deer-stand and shot at crittuhs that came to your feeder... unfortunately i guess you could lure the Wiggses black bears of the world the same way. ok, good luck with the bears.

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
so you sat in a deer-stand and shot at crittuhs that came to your feeder... unfortunately i guess you could lure the Wiggses black bears of the world the same way. ok, good luck with the bears.

::)

Yeah... That's what I thought.

OTHstrong

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Jasher
Well I saw a documentary with this PhD guy saying that these people that study this always cry Wolfe and claim all kinds of wild things and went on to say that they are the laughing stock at NASA, claiming Solar flair this and that and every year they say "this year more solar activities and shit" just to get funding.

There was one solar flair over 100 years ago that some claim that it could have taking out some power grids and if occurred today it would be a complete black out but this claim is from the same exaggerating attention whores. It is BS, no proof just stupid speculations, you guys can believe it if you want.

The diameter of earth is 8000 Miles, so that flair in comparison would be maybe 80 000 mile away from the sun. The sun is 93 000 000 miles away so that flair does not even put a dent in the distance, it would still be
92 920 000 miles away and the particles that come at us would be minimal,measurable yes but like wind blowing against a mountain, it's nothing.

rocket

• Getbig V
  • Yes. Your retarted.

What I'm saying is that the thing about the power being out is that it could easily devolve into "every man for himself" and in that environment, cultivation becomes extremely difficult.  Hungry people aren't going to respect your breeding stock.  If you have food and someone is hungry - there are a lot of idiots who will just take it, without any thought to provisioning.   What is likely to occur is chaos in any region that cannot be policed.

Well I saw a documentary with this PhD guy saying that these people that study this always cry Wolfe and claim all kinds of wild things and went on to say that they are the laughing stock at NASA, claiming Solar flair this and that and every year they say "this year more solar activities and shit" just to get funding.

There was one solar flair over 100 years ago that some claim that it could have taking out some power grids and if occurred today it would be a complete black out but this claim is from the same exaggerating attention whores. It is BS, no proof just stupid speculations, you guys can believe it if you want.

The diameter of earth is 8000 Miles, so that flair in comparison would be maybe 80 000 mile away from the sun. The sun is 93 000 000 miles away so that flair does not even put a dent in the distance, it would still be
92 920 000 miles away and the particles that come at us would be minimal,measurable yes but like wind blowing against a mountain, it's nothing.

All you've done is watch one documentary and now you believe what you want :)   

Post your source, if you can find it.

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
What I'm saying is that the thing about the power being out is that it could easily devolve into "every man for himself" and in that environment, cultivation becomes extremely difficult.  Hungry people aren't going to respect your breeding stock.  If you have food and someone is hungry - there are a lot of idiots who will just take it, without any thought to provisioning.   What is likely to occur is chaos in any region that cannot be policed.

All you've done is watch one documentary and now you believe what you want :)   

Post your source, if you can find it.

That's funny... Do you remember the great blackout of 2002 in the NE?

Do you recall that violence and crime was DOWN during that entire time... I truly feel for people who think that society simply devolves due to a power outage.

Electricity has only been around for 100 years... There were still trains and boats and most forms of transportation as well as farming and livestock production long before electricity existed.

OTHstrong

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Jasher

OTHstrong

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Jasher
What Are Solar Storms?
Answer: Normal. The activity cycle of the sun peaks about every 11 years, with the next peak around 2012-2014. Doomsday theorists use this proximity to the existing 2012 nonsense to make this seem like a real threat.
During a storm, flares throw protons and electrons out into space. The acceleration produces X-ray blasts as well. Both the particles and radiation can disrupt short-wave communication on Earth. No physical damage is done to humans, plant life, etc, thanks to the protection of our atmosphere and magnetosphere!

BUT THERE IS SOME SCIENCE BEHIND HERE…
It’s true that Solar Flares and Coronal Mass Ejections can have some effect on Earth, but it’s more to satellite and radio communication. This is becoming less of a concern, as engineers are learning how to build equipment that doesn’t feel the effects of the sun’s radiation!

According to NASA:
Solar activity has a regular cycle, with peaks approximately every 11 years. Near these activity peaks, solar flares can cause some interruption of satellite communications, although engineers are learning how to build electronics that are protected against most solar storms. But there is no special risk associated with 2012. The next solar maximum will occur in the 2012-2014 time frame and is predicted to be an average solar cycle, no different than previous cycles throughout history.

Sources:
1) Solar Storms – Special to the Washington Post – Sten Odenwald http://solar.physics.montana.edu/press/WashPost/Horizon/196l-031099-idx.html
2) Powerful Solar Storms Could Shut Down the U.S. for Months – Fox News – http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,478024,00.html
3) Ask an Astrobiologist – http://astrobiology.nasa.gov/ask-an-astrobiologist/intro/nibiru-and-doomsday-2012-questions-and-answers
4) NASA – http://www.nasa.gov/topics/earth/features/2012.html

arce1988

• Getbig V
  • ARCE USA USMC

rocket

• Getbig V
  • Yes. Your retarted.
What Are Solar Storms?
Answer: Normal. The activity cycle of the sun peaks about every 11 years, with the next peak around 2012-2014. Doomsday theorists use this proximity to the existing 2012 nonsense to make this seem like a real threat.
During a storm, flares throw protons and electrons out into space. The acceleration produces X-ray blasts as well. Both the particles and radiation can disrupt short-wave communication on Earth. No physical damage is done to humans, plant life, etc, thanks to the protection of our atmosphere and magnetosphere!

BUT THERE IS SOME SCIENCE BEHIND HERE…
It’s true that Solar Flares and Coronal Mass Ejections can have some effect on Earth, but it’s more to satellite and radio communication. This is becoming less of a concern, as engineers are learning how to build equipment that doesn’t feel the effects of the sun’s radiation!

According to NASA:
Solar activity has a regular cycle, with peaks approximately every 11 years. Near these activity peaks, solar flares can cause some interruption of satellite communications, although engineers are learning how to build electronics that are protected against most solar storms. But there is no special risk associated with 2012. The next solar maximum will occur in the 2012-2014 time frame and is predicted to be an average solar cycle, no different than previous cycles throughout history.

Sources:
1) Solar Storms – Special to the Washington Post – Sten Odenwald http://solar.physics.montana.edu/press/WashPost/Horizon/196l-031099-idx.html
2) Powerful Solar Storms Could Shut Down the U.S. for Months – Fox News – http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,478024,00.html
3) Ask an Astrobiologist – http://astrobiology.nasa.gov/ask-an-astrobiologist/intro/nibiru-and-doomsday-2012-questions-and-answers
4) NASA – http://www.nasa.gov/topics/earth/features/2012.html

I'll explain why that is a very poor source and why you need to read between the lines.

That silly little article is a cut and paste from various sources.  I have read the NASA quote and the quote is that there is no special risk associated with the coming solar maximum.  In fact, the quote was directly associated with 2012 loons.  It doesn't mean there is no risk, it means, there is no particular significant risk that could be misconstrued as the source of the doom, predicted for 2012.

Here it is in its entirety:

: Is there a danger from giant solar storms predicted for 2012?

A: Solar activity has a regular cycle, with peaks approximately every 11 years. Near these activity peaks, solar flares can cause some interruption of satellite communications, although engineers are learning how to build electronics that are protected against most solar storms. But there is no special risk associated with 2012. The next solar maximum will occur in the 2012-2014 time frame and is predicted to be an average solar cycle, no different than previous cycles throughout history.
    › Video: Solar Storms
    › More about solar storms

http://www.nasa.gov/topics/earth/features/2012.html#solar

--

Secondly, the "sources" is an interesting read, given that source 2 if a Fox News article saying the opposite to what is being claimed in that paste - Fox News is not a credible source for information, but why on earth would someone use a Fox News article saying the exact opposite in a reference list.

Sometimes it's difficult to for layman to understand the veracity of a source in a situation like this because on the one hand, you've got the sane people - and the other is the media who sell doom and the doomsday loons themselves.  As a result, you can read a lot of stuff that isn't the whole story, but it is engineered to dispell the bullshit artists running with it.

The truth is somewhere in the middle.  There could be a larger CME and it is implicit fact that a CME has taken power out before (1989 in quebec)

Read this if you need more information
http://www.zurich.com/internet/main/SiteCollectionDocuments/insight/solar-storms-impact-on-power-supply.pdf

Induced power is no joke.  It happens.  Tomorrow, in my little corner of the world, I have to go into work and write code to detect induced power on data lines in large commercial buildings. 

Pray_4_War

• Getbig V
  • Thot Expert

But my car is the real cause of global warming.   ::)

booty

• Getbig V
yeah, those southern california bears - you're not referring to nascar el somebody, are you?
;D  This made me laugh. 

orion

• Getbig IV

Looks like the sun was trying to bitch slap us.

Wiggs

• Getbig V
  • Child of Y'srael
I still have my bug-out bag fuckers. I also have access to water, food, weapons and horses fuckers, in addition, I'm in some of the best shape I've been in a while.  8) 8) 8)

America..............Fuc k yeah!

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
I still have my bug-out bag fuckers. I also have access to water, food, weapons and horses fuckers, in addition, I'm in some of the best shape I've been in a while.  8) 8) 8)

America..............Fuc k yeah!
Mr. Hands approved.