Author Topic: The #2 bodybuilder in the world doesn't have health insurance  (Read 8638 times)

Mad Nickels

• Getbig III
  • Team MD
After winning the Arnold Classic, 2nd at the O, and cashing that big paycheck, and being one of the highest paid and most visible names in bodybuilding, not to mention one of the top names...

Vic Martinez didn't have health insurance when he hurt his leg.  He had to pay CASH for the procedure with one of the best surgeons in the country.

Now I don't wanna say "You might be ghetto if...", but in this case it might really apply.

Top of the sport for two years - in a sport completely dependent upon his body - and he doesn't have health insurance?  Is it safe to assume he hasn't been getting blood levels and other things checked as well, since he obviously doesn't have a doctor?
I lost my cherry at www.gymstories.com

emn1964

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Re: The #2 bodybuilder in the world doesn't have health insurance
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2008, 12:44:06 PM »
is this supposed to be surprising?

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2008, 12:46:25 PM »
maybe he has a lot of cash
Z

Mad Nickels

• Getbig III
  • Team MD
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2008, 12:47:24 PM »
maybe he has a lot of cash

He does.  MD pays him well, MHP pays him well, and he made a lot of money at the arnold and the olympia.  He paid the doctor cash, and it cleaned him out. 

If he can't return for the Olympia, he's going to start having money problems.
I lost my cherry at www.gymstories.com

emn1964

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2008, 12:55:43 PM »
MadNickles--didn't Cormier have the same problem when he was hospitalized a few years ago?

tom joad

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2008, 12:58:38 PM »
I'm living in a country with universal health care coverage for all its citizenry, so i'm curious as to how much (approximately) Vic would have to shell out in cash in this instance. Anybody?

JasonH

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2008, 01:00:15 PM »
I'm living in a country with universal health care coverage for all its citizenry, so i'm curious as to how much (approximately) Vic would have to shell out in cash in this instance. Anybody?

Ah yes, the good old NHS. One of the few reasons why living in the UK is better than the US.

wisconsinBB

• Getbig IV
  • Sweep The Leg!
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2008, 01:02:01 PM »

His insurance would be extrememly high because most insurance companies use the fricken BMI to determine if you're overweight or not.  A small handful of companies will look past the BMI if you can provide a bunch of medical history papers showing a clean bill of health.

OTHstrong

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Jasher
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2008, 01:02:17 PM »
After winning the Arnold Classic, 2nd at the O, and cashing that big paycheck, and being one of the highest paid and most visible names in bodybuilding, not to mention one of the top names...

Vic Martinez didn't have health insurance when he hurt his leg.  He had to pay CASH for the procedure with one of the best surgeons in the country.

Now I don't wanna say "You might be ghetto if...", but in this case it might really apply.

Top of the sport for two years - in a sport completely dependent upon his body - and he doesn't have health insurance?  Is it safe to assume he hasn't been getting blood levels and other things checked as well, since he obviously doesn't have a doctor?
Maybe he does, but his basic insurance isn't going to cover the best surgeon in the country, so he pays because he wants the best. I would too if I were him.

Ex Coelis

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2008, 01:05:02 PM »
Ah yes, the good old NHS. One of the few reasons why living in the UK is better than the US.

Canada's better

wisconsinBB

• Getbig IV
  • Sweep The Leg!
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2008, 01:06:20 PM »

No Patience

• Getbig IV
  • adaptation is the creator of evolution
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2008, 01:07:10 PM »
n$$$$a rich!!

JasonH

• Getbig V

bigkid

• Getbig IV
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2008, 01:10:10 PM »
Why don't these guys get high deductible heath plans?

Ron

• Getbigistrator
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2008, 01:15:32 PM »

You know, as an independent contractor, it is up to you to get health insurance. It isnt that hard. But you need to think of yourself as a business, and cover yourself.  Bob Chick gave a lot of the competitors a plan to get health insurance, and more.  It is up to them to actually do it.

BIG DUB

• Getbig IV
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2008, 01:20:58 PM »
Or he could just get a job with benefits...Where i work you can work 32hrs per week and still have full coverage.

gordiano

• Getbig V
  • TEAM "CUTE PENIS", TEAM TRIFLIN' RONNIE COLEMAN
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2008, 01:23:52 PM »

Crazy isn't it? Imagine a real athlete getting hurt? The team/league pays for their surgeries. THIS ON TOP OF A SALARY.  :o
HAHA, RON.....

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2008, 01:25:43 PM »
Crazy isn't it? Imagine a real athlete getting hurt? The team/league pays for their surgeries. THIS ON TOP OF A SALARY.  :o

hmm wait, a reply with no gay reference?

ok WHO HAS HACKED GORDIANOS ACCOUNT HERE?

Z

wisconsinBB

• Getbig IV
  • Sweep The Leg!
« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2008, 01:27:22 PM »
Or he could just get a job with benefits...Where i work you can work 32hrs per week and still have full coverage.

Holy SHIT we have a winner.  I don't see why almost every pro shouldn't have a regular job.  Hell, some jobs even pay health insurace if you're only part time.

gordiano

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2008, 01:28:26 PM »
You know, as an independent contractor, it is up to you to get health insurance. It isnt that hard. But you need to think of yourself as a business, and cover yourself.  Bob Chick gave a lot of the competitors a plan to get health insurance, and more.  It is up to them to actually do it.

Independent Contractors that aren't allowed to compete in other feds, that may provide them with financial opportunities & maybe even health insurance...... ::)
HAHA, RON.....

candidizzle

• Getbig V
  • Trueprotein.com 5% discount code= TRB953
« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2008, 01:29:50 PM »
FUCK A REGULAR JOB

;D

it all about the weights baby

8)

medz zeppelin

• Getbig IV
  • go west young man.......break bread in the new lan
« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2008, 01:29:56 PM »
why didn't he go on federal assistance........then have the surgery.......no insurance and no fuckin brains

gordiano

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2008, 01:30:15 PM »
hmm wait, a reply with no gay reference?

ok WHO HAS HACKED GORDIANOS ACCOUNT HERE?

Actually, this thread became gay the minute you posted in it.....
HAHA, RON.....

Rimbaud

• Getbig V
  • There can be only one.
« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2008, 01:30:55 PM »
is this supposed to be surprising?

Exactly.

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2008, 01:31:00 PM »

Of course the obvious would apply here.  Chic supposedly got insurance set up for the IFBB members.  Now of course he will come on here and brag about getting it but making sure the people he reps actually has it he has failed severely.  Then he will say how he told everyone about it but he can't make them take it.  Which I agree with.  But exactly how hard did he try.  By posting it on the internet boards.  Chic did you send out anything to every member in the mail (post office type) explaining the plan you got them and how cheap it was.  And if you did post up what you sent them.  I am pretty sure nothing was sent out to each and every member personally for their rep telling them they could get insurance for $20 a month or something like that you said you got.  And don't come back with your typical answer "it's none of your business or it doesn't concern you"  Those are getting old for an answer you don't have.  Did the IFBB send anything out.  Did they take out a full page ad in any of the magazines.  Was it announced on your radio show at all.  What did you do to make sure every IFBB member knows about the insurance.  Maybe the IFBB can give free insurance to the top ten guys.  That would be nice.