Author Topic: The #2 bodybuilder in the world doesn't have health insurance  (Read 8647 times)

Fulgorre

• Getbig III
Re: The #2 bodybuilder in the world doesn't have health insurance
« Reply #25 on: April 17, 2008, 01:31:21 PM »
I do not think Martinez will have money problems even if he never competes again.  Here is why...

He can workout almost anywhere in the country and within days have a girl supporting him.  He can also become a "personal trainer" (steriod guru) and make enough to live on.  Also, remeber he is a very street wise fellow who grew up in the Dominican Republic.  Having less isn't going to make unhappy as it was more than he ever had on the island.  

Mad Nickels- :) Let's just hope he doesn't invest his funds in a bodybuilding show which would more than likely fail.  Like say, the Colorado Pro. :)  Also, didn't you say Milos gym was going to close??? It is still open as far as I know. :)

TheTerrifyer

• Time Out
  • Getbig II
« Reply #26 on: April 17, 2008, 01:31:39 PM »
That's the nature of the sport. These guys aren't given contracts to compete, they're "allowed" to compete and get contracts from supplement companies or gym equipment makers. It's probably because the structure of it means only a handful of guys get paid at the shows when they place in the top 3 or 5.

You've got guys that compete once a year. That doesn't work anywhere else. There's no golfers or football players that sit out the entire season and then compete in the championships. Because of that, there's no interest in most shows because it's a given that the best won't be there, or that they won't be at their best.

If the structure was changed to have competitions constantly, with only a few scheduled to be at each one, and after the 'season' they all moved onto the Olympia, THEN it'd get interesting. THEN more people would pay attention.

Crazy isn't it? Imagine a real athlete getting hurt? The team/league pays for their surgeries. THIS ON TOP OF A SALARY.  :o

Mad Nickels

• Getbig III
  • Team MD
« Reply #27 on: April 17, 2008, 01:33:44 PM »
Mad Nickels- :) Let's just hope he doesn't invest his funds in a bodybuilding show which would more than likely fail.  Like say, the Colorado Pro. :)  Also, didn't you say Milos gym was going to close??? It is still open as far as I know. :)

>:(
I lost my cherry at www.gymstories.com

Rimbaud

• Getbig V
  • There can be only one.
« Reply #28 on: April 17, 2008, 01:34:00 PM »
Of course the obvious would apply here.  Chic supposedly got insurance set up for the IFBB members.  Now of course he will come on here and brag about getting it but making sure the people he reps actually has it he has failed severely.  Then he will say how he told everyone about it but he can't make them take it.  Which I agree with.  But exactly how hard did he try.  By posting it on the internet boards.  Chic did you send out anything to every member in the mail (post office type) explaining the plan you got them and how cheap it was.  And if you did post up what you sent them.  I am pretty sure nothing was sent out to each and every member personally for their rep telling them they could get insurance for $20 a month or something like that you said you got.  And don't come back with your typical answer "it's none of your business or it doesn't concern you"  Those are getting old for an answer you don't have.  Did the IFBB send anything out.  Did they take out a full page ad in any of the magazines.  Was it announced on your radio show at all.  What did you do to make sure every IFBB member knows about the insurance.  Maybe the IFBB can give free insurance to the top ten guys.  That would be nice.

I would like to know how good the coverage is for them to be charging $20 a month. Especially to bodybuilders - I'm not knocking them but they have a bunch of red flags for a health insurance company.

candidizzle

• Getbig V
  • Trueprotein.com 5% discount code= TRB953
« Reply #29 on: April 17, 2008, 01:37:18 PM »
in all seriousness, if i was a health insurance company, i would never give insurance to a professional bodybuilder thinking that tthere is the potential for ANYTHING other than a net loss in funds.

gordiano

• Getbig V
  • TEAM "CUTE PENIS", TEAM TRIFLIN' RONNIE COLEMAN
« Reply #30 on: April 17, 2008, 01:39:14 PM »
in all seriousness, if i was a health insurance company, i would never give insurance to a professional bodybuilder thinking that tthere is the potential for ANYTHING other than a net loss in funds.

Exactly.

It's like insuring a smoker, diabetic, the obese, et cetera.
HAHA, RON.....

candidizzle

• Getbig V
« Reply #31 on: April 17, 2008, 01:41:12 PM »
Exactly.

no well actually i think its probably worse..at least, for pro's like ruhl, ronnie, gustavo, mustafa, nasser, dorian, flex, tom prince, dan youngblood..ect ect

medz zeppelin

• Getbig IV
  • go west young man.......break bread in the new lan
« Reply #32 on: April 17, 2008, 01:45:31 PM »
Exactly.

guess Squaddy's out

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #33 on: April 17, 2008, 01:47:12 PM »
no well actually i think its probably worse..at least, for pro's like ruhl, ronnie, gustavo, mustafa, nasser, dorian, flex, tom prince, dan youngblood..ect ect

That is why I always questioned Chic insurance plan he got.   Jackie Chan has no insurance because of the risk in his job.  BB because of there dire need to abuse steroids are a high risk also. 

Rimbaud

• Getbig V
  • There can be only one.
« Reply #34 on: April 17, 2008, 01:59:22 PM »

That's what I'm talking about. You'd probably be considered too high risk to cover & if they did cover you the premiums would/should be through the roof.

wisconsinBB

• Getbig IV
  • Sweep The Leg!
« Reply #35 on: April 17, 2008, 02:09:28 PM »
That's what I'm talking about. You'd probably be considered too high risk to cover & if they did cover you the premiums would/should be through the roof.

Even through the roof premiums would most likely be cheaper than a major surgery!!

delta9mda

• Getbig V
  • Team Pussy Claad/ ya know I'm sayin?
« Reply #36 on: April 17, 2008, 02:17:46 PM »
I'm living in a country with universal health care coverage for all its citizenry, so i'm curious as to how much (approximately) Vic would have to shell out in cash in this instance. Anybody?
the op was probably 30,000 at most. i dont see how this would clean him out. sounds like bullshit. and he is a dumbass for not hooking himself up with some blue cross blue shield or something. damn it man.

delta9mda

• Getbig V
  • Team Pussy Claad/ ya know I'm sayin?
« Reply #37 on: April 17, 2008, 02:22:23 PM »
out of the ones you named, flex, prince and youngblood are the ones that have/ had problems.

Ron

• Getbigistrator
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #38 on: April 17, 2008, 02:26:53 PM »
Independent Contractors that aren't allowed to compete in other feds,

They can do whatever they want. But if they want to compete in the IFBB Federation, then the pros cannot compete in another league.

Chic supposedly got insurance set up for the IFBB members. Now of course he will come on here and brag about getting it but making sure the people he reps actually has it he has failed severely.

I was at the meeting. Chic did the job, provided pamphlets, paperwork and even a person to talk to to get insurance. He still helps out when someone asks for help.  The bodybuilders who understood the risk have insurance. Others just take the risk...  As for $20, no, it was much more than that, close to $200 at the time, or more a month. Welcome to the world of health insurance.

That is like 150 million people just in the U.S.  Let's just not give insurance to 60% of everyone.

G o a t b o y

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Time-Out in Dubai, India with Swampi the Cocksmith
« Reply #39 on: April 17, 2008, 02:37:09 PM »
That is like 150 million people just in the U.S.  Let's just not give insurance to 60% of everyone.

Well, since smoking, getting obese, and lifestyles that lead to diabetes are all voluntary choices, I'm cool with that.
Ron: "I am lazy."

AZbodybuilder

• Competitors II
  • Getbig II
« Reply #40 on: April 17, 2008, 02:37:51 PM »
why didn't he go on federal assistance........then have the surgery.......no insurance and no fuckin brains
I am sure he makes to much for federal assistance, and he wanted the best doctor for his surgery, really good doctors dont even take insurance.

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #41 on: April 17, 2008, 02:48:46 PM »
They can do whatever they want. But if they want to compete in the IFBB Federation, then the pros cannot compete in another league.

I was at the meeting. Chic did the job, provided pamphlets, paperwork and even a person to talk to to get insurance. He still helps out when someone asks for help.  The bodybuilders who understood the risk have insurance. Others just take the risk...  As for $20, no, it was much more than that, close to $200 at the time, or more a month. Welcome to the world of health insurance.

How are they considered Independant Contractors but they sign a contract with the IFBB.  Aren't they under contract with the IFBB that is why they have to follow what the IFBB says. 

Rimbaud

• Getbig V
  • There can be only one.
« Reply #42 on: April 17, 2008, 03:07:13 PM »

Still couldn't have been very good.

_bruce_

• Getbig V
  • Sam Sesambröt Sulek
« Reply #43 on: April 17, 2008, 03:19:11 PM »
Health insurance is a must.
Here in Austria 10 days in a hospital ~6000$.

Moosejay

« Reply #44 on: April 17, 2008, 03:50:28 PM »
Canada's better

Your tax rate to pay for your "free" health care is in the 70% range.

If he had one knee done...assuming he was in the hospital for one day (Rarely do you stay longer)...figure about $10,000, without physical therapy. PT can run it up to another 10K.

Meds...even more. If he had two knees done...double it.

Its illegal to discriminate against giving one health coverage due to pre-existing maladies.

the 45 million you hear of without health care includes illegals and MANY younger people who are given the choice of higer pay or health coverage...many take more pay, as they feel they are behind the 'veil of youthful invincibility' and won't need insurance.

The number 1 rule of investingh is PROTECTION.

Have insurance to protect your investments.

Apparently, Martinez skipped this day of school....dumbass

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #45 on: April 17, 2008, 03:53:34 PM »
He does.  MD pays him well, MHP pays him well, and he made a lot of money at the arnold and the olympia.  He paid the doctor cash, and it cleaned him out. 

If he can't return for the Olympia, he's going to start having money problems.
epic reveling in another person's misfortune. ::)

Moosejay

« Reply #46 on: April 17, 2008, 03:54:27 PM »
I would like to know how good the coverage is for them to be charging $20 a month. Especially to bodybuilders - I'm not knocking them but they have a bunch of red flags for a health insurance company.

$20 per month...never heard of anything so low...if its true, you can count on $10,000 deductables and $50 office visit copays after that.

Chick

• The Pros
  • Getbig V
  • sometimes you get the elevator, somtimes the shaft
« Reply #47 on: April 17, 2008, 03:55:01 PM »
Of course the obvious would apply here.  Chic supposedly got insurance set up for the IFBB members.  Now of course he will come on here and brag about getting it but making sure the people he reps actually has it he has failed severely.  Then he will say how he told everyone about it but he can't make them take it.  Which I agree with.  But exactly how hard did he try.  By posting it on the internet boards.  Chic did you send out anything to every member in the mail (post office type) explaining the plan you got them and how cheap it was.  And if you did post up what you sent them.  I am pretty sure nothing was sent out to each and every member personally for their rep telling them they could get insurance for $20 a month or something like that you said you got.  And don't come back with your typical answer "it's none of your business or it doesn't concern you"  Those are getting old for an answer you don't have.  Did the IFBB send anything out.  Did they take out a full page ad in any of the magazines.  Was it announced on your radio show at all.  What did you do to make sure every IFBB member knows about the insurance.  Maybe the IFBB can give free insurance to the top ten guys.  That would be nice.

I'll go you one better, Keith...I actually had 2-3 conversations with Victor about getting on the plan...IN PERSON. IT WAS MENTIONED ON THE RADIO, IN MEETINGS, THROUGH EMAIL, ON THIS SITE, MAYHEM, etc...

Your constant assumptions are starting to make you look stupid, and Basilesque...please Keith, stop before it's too late.

candidizzle

• Getbig V
« Reply #48 on: April 17, 2008, 03:56:48 PM »
I'll go you one better, Keith...I actually had 2-3 conversations with Victor about getting on the plan...IN PERSON. IT WAS MENTIONED ON THE RADIO, IN MEETINGS, THROUGH EMAIL, ON THIS SITE, MAYHEM, etc...

Your constant assumptions are starting to make you look stupid, and Basilesque...please Keith, stop before it's too late.
get em chick !1!

now can i get a discount on som bcaa's?  ;D

Chick

• The Pros
  • Getbig V
  • sometimes you get the elevator, somtimes the shaft
« Reply #49 on: April 17, 2008, 03:58:51 PM »

No one (Except Onlyme) has ever mentioned a figure of $20/ month....

I have the coverage myself, along with the other smart ones that opted to get on board...my cost is about $150/ Mo. for full coverage, no different than I had set up prior with a major company for $550./ mo as an individual.