Author Topic: Oldtimer1  (Read 421714 times)

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Re: Oldtimer1
« Reply #325 on: December 26, 2018, 12:00:27 PM »
Leg day:

Dumbbell squats 2 x 12 85lbs ( Used straps to hold the dumbbells. Upright back and sank them. Really hard exercise)
Hack machine squats 2 x 12 (Went as low as I can go.)
stiff deads 1 x 6 205lbs (got a really good hamstring stretch)
Kick back machine 2 x 12 80lbs
Leg extension 2 x 12 150lbs ( I realize weight is meaningless from brand to brand. My home leg extension is hard with 80lbs)
leg curls 2 x 10 110lbs
body weight squats 1 x 55 (went really deep and didn't flop into the negative part. Great finisher. Good for mobility and conditioning)

Standing calf 2 x 12 (having mixed feelings about using machines for calves. Beginning to think I was getting better results when I was using body weight single leg calf raises with my knee locked. I get tendinitis of my right Achilles going low with calf machines. )  
Seated calf 2 x 15 90lbs  

4 way neck machine. Two sets per side.

Ab coaster 1 x 35 60lbs
Ab crunch machine 2 x 20 100lbs

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #326 on: December 27, 2018, 07:39:09 PM »
Did cardio today:

8 x quarter miles. I previously was running 5.25 miles in addition to the warm up and cool down for a total of 6 miles. I was feeling severely burned out from combining that with lifting. Today I did 8 quarter mile intervals but I made it easy with a quarter mile fast walk 3.8 mile rest interval. I usually do quarter mile repeats with a rest interval of  220 yards. I just felt burned out hence the extra rest interval yardage.

8 x 440 yards intervals

1 x 7.7 MPH (7:48 mile pace)
1 x 8.0 MPH (7:30 mile pace)
1 x 8.6 MPH (7:00 mile pace)
1 x 8.9 MPH (6:44 mile pace)
1 x 9.2 MPH (6:31 mile pace)
1 x 9.6 MPH (6:15 mile pace)
1 x 10.0 MPH (6:00 mile pace)

This didn't feel like a hard workout. The long quarter mile walk rests at 3.8 MPH kept everything  easy.  When I'm feeling better and more rested I will take it down to a 220 yard (200 meter) rest period and make it a lot more challenging. Just trying to recover from the burn out I have been feeling. I was going to sleep feeling like I was taking amphetamines I was so wired. Sleeping 4 to 5 hours a night.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #327 on: December 28, 2018, 10:00:27 AM »
Trained delt and arms:  

Good workout. I was waiting for the scott curl bench. Two guys were using it.  They left the bar with the plates on it. I was civil when I pointed it out. Hate some stuff about commercial gyms. Here are a few.

1. Leaving plates on bars and machines. Leaving dumbbells on the floor.

2. Shadow boxing  between sets. Thanks for fighting imaginary spooks.

3. The music. The owner loves 70's rock. Nothing wrong with that but he has satellite radio and 300 channels. Same channel every day.  Someone said he got tired of the constant requests for a channel.

4. Guys that tie up multiple pieces of equipment. It's not your private gym. Seen a group of young guys take 6 pair of dumbbells for their circle jerk.

5. Guys that sing loud and off key while wearing ear buds and their beats. Some sing one syllable of a word. Sounds like Spock got drunk and decided to sing a song.

6. Guys and women that sit in machines and watch the world go by.  It's not a chair.

7. Guys that do 6 sets with three minutes between sets and sit in machine for ages.

8. Tied in with number 6, the squat guy. He's a power lifter and does one exercise the squat for one hour. He does a 3 rep set every ten minutes.

9. People that go to the gym to talk endlessly. They are in the gym for 90 minutes but only do three sets of an exercise.

10. The phone person. There is a woman who every single time she comes into the gym she walks in on the phone. Every single exercise she talks on the phone. Every rep. Never stops talking. Who the hell is listening to this on the other end?

11. The gay guys who seem to spend too much time in the locker room.

12. Gym is filled with sick people. One guy is blowing his nose between sets touching every handle in the place.

13.  The old man wearing the shorty shorts from 1980 doing floor exercises with his balls falling out all over the place.

14.  The steroid advice guy. He thinks because he's on cycle he has some great advice but he doesn't know I know what he looks like off cycle.  

15. The guy that never shuts up. Likes to talk endlessly. Hey buddy I will chat but I got work to do.

IroNat

• Getbig V
  • Time you enjoy wasting, was not wasted.
« Reply #328 on: December 28, 2018, 10:15:29 AM »
I thought you quit the commercial gym for awhile

???

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #329 on: December 28, 2018, 01:32:59 PM »
I thought you quit the commercial gym for awhile

???

I worked out in my own gym for about 10 days and got bored being by myself. LOL. I do alternate it. For decades my home gym was my primary. For now it's my secondary. I can do just about everything I do in a commercial gym at home. What I do love about the commercial gym I train in is that for the most part it's a really friendly place to work out in. I feel like I know everyone. I do have some bitching about the place as noted.

I do on many occasions like the solitude of my gym. I really like the music selection. No waiting to use anything. I have safety racks for benching and inclining. Sometimes my home unit machines are better than the commercial gym like my leg press machine. Light years better. Better angle and smoother. The commercial model doesn't even have safety catches. Blow out your knee and the weight will crush you. If I'm injured I can use a lighter weight without being self conscience at home too. 

IroNat

• Getbig V
« Reply #330 on: December 28, 2018, 01:37:48 PM »
I definitely can understand.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #331 on: December 29, 2018, 11:53:03 AM »
Did nothing today but go to work for 4 hours.  Sitting around thinking when to start drinking a cold one.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #332 on: December 31, 2018, 11:51:11 AM »
I'm a broken record with this training log. So boring, I know.

Back and Chest day:

Pull ups 2 x 8 ( dead hang and I went up till my elbows were all the way down. Controlled cadence)
Seated pulley long lat pulls with a V handle 2 x 12 170lbs (All the way out and back)
Dumbbell row off a bench 2 x 10 80lbs (dead hang and controlled all the way up)
MAG grip pulldowns 2 x 10

Dumbbell bench 2 x 8 75lbs ( used a lighter weight than usual to use a slow cadence. Shoulder is bugging me. If I do the reps slow, controlled and through a full range it seems to preserve what little function I have. LOL)
Incline dumbbell bench 2 x 8 65lbs (I'll pick up the weight when I'm feeling better)
Flat flies 2 x 10 48lbs. (Yes I can make a 48lb dumbbell in my home gym.)
Push ups 2 x max ( One set conventional and the other with perfect push up bars. I wonder if in time variations of push ups will be all that I do for chest. I bet my chest might even look better doing push ups than using weight)

deadlifts 2 x 4 300lbs then 1 x 1 325lbs ( I deadlift at the end when I'm fatigued. Learned this from Dorian Yates. I can use less weight and be safer from injury.)
Weighted back extensions on a hyper bench 2 x 15 (25lbs plate behind head)

Ab wheel roll outs 2 x 25 (Looked in a mirror doing these and saw  an old grey haired guy looking back at me. Where's my black shoe polish? )
Ab pulley crunches 2 x 25

Did the work out hung over from a party the day before. I don't know why but I seem to remember hung over work outs through the years better than the overwhelming majority when I was sober the day before the workout. Maybe because they were so hard.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #333 on: January 01, 2019, 05:52:35 PM »
Walked fast for about a hour and 17 minutes on an isolated trail by my house. Easy cardio yet I think it I did my body good.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #334 on: January 02, 2019, 04:20:23 PM »
Trained legs in my basement. Still hitting bodyweight squats after using weights for legs. Why didn't I use this earlier in my lifting days?  Still learning stuff. I did leg press, squats, leg extensions, seated leg curls, standing leg curls for thighs then did 55 reps deep body weight squats smooth cadence squats. They are making my knees feel fantastic. For awhile I the leg press at the commercial gym was grinding my knees to dust. At least it felt that way with the pain and clicking. Now I'm using the much better leg press in my house along with the finish of body weight squats and my knees feel great.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #335 on: January 03, 2019, 07:42:09 PM »
Ran 5.25 miles on a treadmill. Hit the heavy bag after.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #336 on: January 04, 2019, 12:30:08 PM »
Trained delt and arms. Started with press behind the necks and after three warm ups did a work set. Nope, permanently removed from my catalog. Switched to dumbbell delt press standing.

Daughter is in labor. Going to be a grand dad!!!

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #337 on: January 07, 2019, 07:54:57 PM »
Hectic couple of days with my daughter having a baby and my son from the Army visiting. Starting tomorrow going to really switch up my work outs for awhile.

Going old school whole body routines twice a week with a twist. Not going to failure at first and cycling the intensity.  For example if I'm going to do exercise X with a goal of 100lbs for 8 reps I will wait six workouts to get there. So workout one of the six workouts will be using 75lbs for exercise X. Work out two will be 80lbs for exercise X. Three will be 85lbs and so on until I hit my goal of 100lbs. So the cycle starts super easy with super form, full range of motion and almost a super slo mo cadence and gets really hard gradually.  After six whole body workouts with one routine I will switch the routine for completely new exercises. I hope this accomplishes two things. One is to prevent exhaustion through not working to failure until workout six and to get a completely fresh change of exercises when I change things up after exercise day six comes around. Might lift weights just Monday and Friday. I will do bodyweight military type exercises on off days with cardio.

Hopefully this will pan out. Going to use this routine for my first six workouts.

Power cleans 3 x 3 then 1 x 1

barbell squats 2 x 8
lunges 1 x 8

dumbell bench 2 x 6

chin ups 2 x max
seated low lat pulley 2 x 12

military press 2  x 8
dumbbell laterals 2 x 10

weighted dips 2 x 10
barbell curls 2 x 10

ab wheel 2 x max
ab pulley 2 x

standing calf 2 x 15

neck work

Captain crush grippers

IroNat

• Getbig V
« Reply #338 on: January 08, 2019, 04:46:11 AM »
Congrats on the grandkid!

Life goes on. 

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #339 on: January 08, 2019, 05:53:48 AM »
Congrats on the grandkid!

Life goes on. 

Thanks

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #340 on: January 08, 2019, 07:07:32 PM »
Did my first whole body workout in awhile. Using splits for a long time. I used really embarrassing weights for my first workout.  Tried to make up for the lack of poundage by  using a slow mo cadence and full range of motion. As usual my delicate shoulder wouldn't allow me to jerk the weight after a power clean so I just did power cleans. I think my six workout cycle is a good plan. The workouts will be relatively easy until I hit workout four. The big exercises are getting ten pound increases from workout to workout and the smaller exercises 5lbs increases.

Tomorrow is cardio day, heavy bag and body weight conditioning. Curious to see how my body reacts to these workouts. If I over do the cardio I'm sure to lose muscle and look flat. We will see. I hope I get the full three weeks in so I can see the results of or lack of. Trying to do a whole body routine with the weights twice a week with some body weight stuff on the days off.

In a perfect week it might look like this.

Monday: Whole body routine with the weights
Tuesday: Distance run, heavy bag and body weight exercises
Wednesday: Intensity interval runs, heavy bag and body weight exercises
Thursday: Easy run
Friday: Whole body routine with the weights
Saturday: Off. Drink beer to replace carbohydrates.  ;D
Sunday: Distance run, heavy bag and body weight exercises

Hope I can gut out this routine for the planned three weeks. It's a different path from what I have been doing. If all goes well I will continue. If not I will go back to my split routine.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #341 on: January 09, 2019, 02:45:54 PM »
Ran into my first gremlin with the new workout. I ran 5.25 miles. Then hit the heavy bag hard. I was going to some body weight stuff after but I could hardly stand up. Oh, well. I'm not a young man anymore.

Tomorrow is another run. Friday a whole body routine.

IroNat

• Getbig V
« Reply #342 on: January 09, 2019, 03:45:36 PM »
What are trying to accomplish with this excessive (my opinion) training?

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #343 on: January 09, 2019, 07:03:24 PM »
What are trying to accomplish with this excessive (my opinion) training?

Getting lean. Lowering visceral and subcutaneous fat. Gaining endurance (gas tank) while maintaining a level of strength and power. I think my methods are working. I do have a good work ethic even if I say so myself. I can't compare myself to drug users but I do get a lot of compliments for being in shape if I vainly say so.  I'm not a bodybuilder.  I'm just a guy whose hobby is training.

I think a real role model for me is Brad Harris the actor who trained at Gold's with all the legends back in the day. He had a football scholarship to UCLA but hurt his knee and turned to acting. Arnold tried to get him to compete seeing his potential but I speculate he didn't want to use steroids and never competed. He split his time between running, biking and lifting. He included sprints and distance. He reached a period where he didn't use weights for legs. Just for upper body. I always train my skinny legs with weights. LOL.  From what I read about him back in the Golds day he would run plenty of times 5 miles at a pop. His bodybuilding routine generally consisted of three exercises a body part and 3 work sets each exercise for 12 reps. Danny Padilla and  Eddie Giuliani were high rep guys also.  Ed even wrote he couldn't build quality muscle without high reps. So many ways to skin a cat. Brad Harris died at 84 but what a ride. He had outstanding health and physicality almost his entire life. He didn't whimper into his coffin but slid sideways into his coffin saying what a ride.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #344 on: January 10, 2019, 09:01:00 PM »
Ran 5.25 miles. Kept the speed slow but felt it for my age and conditioning.

1st mile 11:55
2. 10:00
3. 10:00
4. 9:31
5: 8:57

Did a  quarter mile after the 5 miles in 6:31 pace (9.2 MPH)

Drank beers tonight binge watching Sex in the City with the wife. Fun night. We use to watch it when it was a new show so it was nostalgic for us. Tomorrow I will do a whole body routine with moderate weights. I don't think it's working for me. I will go back to a split Next week.  I have to get this stuff dialed in.

Biggest mistake I'm making is eating too much. I snack like a lunatic. I remember during my high school and college track days and even boxing days I ate three relatively small meals a day. Now in my old age I snack all day like a lunatic. Another is not doing consistent cardio. I think I need to do 4 to 5 days a week. I know I get slightly weaker with too much cardio but being strong with the power lifter fat isn't a good look.

IroNat

• Getbig V
« Reply #345 on: January 11, 2019, 03:40:52 AM »
You can't outrun a bad diet.

Which sounds like what you are trying to do.

>

Why exercise won't make you lose weight

https://www.cnn.com/2019/01/04/health/diet-exercise-weight-loss/index.html

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #346 on: January 11, 2019, 06:08:08 AM »
You can't outrun a bad diet.

Which sounds like what you are trying to do.

>

Why exercise won't make you lose weight

https://www.cnn.com/2019/01/04/health/diet-exercise-weight-loss/index.html

I don't believe that article what so ever. There is a direct caloric burn but there is an after burn too. There are no fat people running 5 miles fast. CNN is the least trusted news source on cable. That radical article made a big splash then it died out. There is no loss fat program worth a damn without an exercise component. Olympic swimmers are known to eat an insane amount of calories. Many really good marathoners drink beer. True if you eat like a slob you can't out work it with a couple of crap exercise sessions.

I don't know if the study of exercise physiology is really cutting edge yet. A pound of fat is 3500 calories according to some sources. A hard lifting session burns between 150 calories to 250 if your doing some insane lifting. I base my lifting caloric cost guess on a study that put people through a 12 exercise Nautilus circuit to failure with an average 174 calories used. A hard cardio session is 400 to 600 calories. You can see how it will lead to weight loss though the weeks and months.

Arnold, Callard, Franco, Mentzer, Padilla and many others ran during contest prep. I know Mentzer in his retirement years from bodybuilding was against cardio.

IroNat

• Getbig V
« Reply #347 on: January 11, 2019, 06:27:20 AM »
Sure, exercise burns calories not if you eat back all the calories you burned.

That is the focus of the article. 

You can spend the hours of your life on the treadmill like a hamster or you can drink a few less beers and do something more productive.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #348 on: January 11, 2019, 06:19:59 PM »
Completed two whole body routines this week and two hard runs. Yesterday I got in 5.25 miles running and .75 miles walking fast for a warm up and cool down. I then went to work where I was on my feet most of the day. Came back and drank some beers. Today I really felt washed out. I did a whole body routine and felt ill and run down. I think it's just exhaustion. Didn't even lift heavy. My power cleans never went over 170lbs for my sets and the squats never over 235lbs.

Power cleans 3x3

squats 2 x 9
barbell lunges 1x8

dumbbell bench 2 x 8

pull ups 2 x max
low cable lat row seated 2 x 12

military press 2 x 8
delt dumbbell laterals 2 x 10

barbell curl 2 x 10
weighted dips 2 x 10

standing calf 2 x 15

weighted back extensions 2 x 15

neck work and gripper work

Tomorrow going to work then doing nothing physical and not drinking. Might take Sunday off too. Haven't decided.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #349 on: January 14, 2019, 01:37:29 PM »
Lessons learned and lessons relearned.

I have been training hard since I was a young teenager.  I was in track in high school and college. I've competed in boxing.  My job required I pass a physical performance test every year or consideration for promotion is out the window. I'm one of the few that completed it without a hiccup for nearly three decades. As everyone does I try to always learn new and better ways to train.  Sometimes it's just change for the sake of change.  I would never consider myself a bodybuilder. I don't use steroids. I think most of the time I am in shape.

Why do I bring this stuff up?  I always try to tweak my training. If you don't adapt you die but sometimes it's just trying to reinvent the wheel. Lately I learned a lesson. In my youth I could string together 5:15 miles. Not world beating, lol but not slug speed either. I think endurance is incredible important to being a good fighter and for health. One thing I had to learn again is that you can't be a good distance runner and be a good lifter. The body adapts to the stress presented. Run a lot of miles and it signals the body to shed body weight. Run hard enough and it will also shed unneeded muscle along with the fat.  I started doing long runs along with lifting hard. My body started breaking down. Mentally I started breaking down too. Felt like crap.

I will still run hard. I will still run distance but I have to be wary.  Rest is as important exercise. The old adaptation model is still as factual as it was decades ago. Stress-adaptation-Exhaustion still holds true.  What's also true is that some hold back and get too much rest. A guy that lifts weights twice a week for 45 minutes but can't run a decent mile is not in shape.  

Trained back and chest today. Felt great despite being in a casino having fun drinking cold ones last night.