Author Topic: Weight Training for High School Throwers?  (Read 1518 times)

OlRedRooster

• Getbig I
Weight Training for High School Throwers?
« on: December 28, 2007, 08:08:01 PM »
Shot-put, Discus and Javelin, but mainly Shot-put.  I've researched many "routines" but it seems that most of the workouts consist of Olympic lifts, "jerk", "snatch", but the problem is that some of my throwers are inexperienced in the weight room. Girls, sorry not being sexist, and also non football/basketball players.

For the past 4 or 5 years I've had a simple routine for my throwers. Mostly shoulder/back and leg workouts.  We lift 3 days a week.  For instance

Monday
Bench/Incline
DB shoulder Press
DB side laterals
DB rear delts
ABS
can also do arm exercises, bi and tris, and also rows for back.

Wed.
Squat
Power Clean
Good Mornings
Extensions/Curls

Fri.
Repeat Mon. workout

Anybody have any info. good or bad, would be appreciated.  Just looking for a change-up.

Cap

• Getbig V
  • Trueprotein.com 5% discount code= CSP111
Re: Weight Training for High School Throwers?
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2007, 10:11:50 PM »
A college thrower friend of mine said he did the three basic lifts: squat, dead and bench.  He also does power cleans, snatches and push presses.  He said once season starts they also work in some ancillary moves like lunges and step ups.
Squishy face retard

benz

• Getbig V
  • ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾•̃̾)۶ boo! ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾•̃̾)۶
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2007, 10:15:33 PM »
You should follow cap86's words, because he's the man.

btw caps, you rule man and thanks for the help, been doing pretty good :)

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2007, 08:59:45 AM »
ORR: For the whole chain of muscles involved in any push/throw action you might consider this. One of the better exercise (by far), that no one uses today, is the old Bent Press. Exception being  the former Eastern block nations and some exercises done in  KettleBell training. Great movement for any "thrower/pusher" event. Because it not only  affects the pushing movement but also the twisting torque of the lower trunk/waist. Gives outstanding development to the obliques/lower-upper ab wall, the key to most athletic events. Train each side of the body just as hard as the other

Best done with a BB for reasons of balance, though KettleBells/DB's do have their place in training. Most all the pushing/throwing action is brought into play big time by the  Bent Press (can even practice on another person by lifting them overhead, which can be impressive to the uninformed). Some of the old time strong men used this as their main lift. 300lbs+ (remember this is a one hand lift) was not that rare at all during that time, even among a few middle weights. Those bars were usually shot loaded and not that well balanced back then, making heavy weight that much harder to handle.

Might also consider the one arm side press standing, not to be confused with a regular DB press. Can work up to very heavy weight with this one. Can give overall power and quickness to pushing power.

Feel free to add either or both the Bent Press and DB press to any throw/push workout. Might want to replace the BP (over used and over hyped in a lot of regards) with weighted dip for awhile. Do not need lateral or posterior DB raises (extensions) at all. Could be a waste of training time/energy. You might consider some cross over the chest exercises like pec deck or true DB flys. Adding bent arm pullovers may also give that extra chest/trunk strength required. Using front squats, which can add better flexability to the wrist/elbows/shoulder girdle might also be something to ponder in training sessions. Good Luck.

Side Bar: I find that in training girls/women that they can become impressive in the lifts, pound for pound, with a lot of male athletes. Just need to invest the time towards training.
F