Author Topic: Food  (Read 485256 times)

Gregzs

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Re: Food
« Reply #26 on: August 19, 2014, 08:12:53 PM »
Philly Cheesesteak Lasagna Recipe

http://www.thrillist.com/recipe/nation/philly-cheesesteak-lasagna-thrillist-recipes

Time: 1 hour Yield: 1 (9-by-13-inch) pan

Ingredients:
2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
2 medium yellow onions, halved and sliced thin
2 teaspoons kosher salt, divided
1 pound cremini mushrooms, sliced
2 poblano peppers, sliced thin
2 cubanelle peppers, sliced thin
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
12 wavy lasagna noodles
2 pounds cooked roast beef, sliced thin
12 slices sharp provolone
1 (15-ounce) jar Cheez Whiz
1 cup freshly grated aged provolone

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
2. Heat a large Dutch oven or wok over medium heat. Add 1 tablespoon olive oil and heat until shimmering. Add onions and sauté until soft. Sprinkle 1 teaspoon salt over them and cook until they just start to brown, about 10 minutes. Add mushrooms, peppers, and remaining 1 teaspoon salt. Turn heat to high and sauté for 8-10 minutes or until all the juices have released and evaporated. Turn off heat and stir in black pepper.
3. Boil 2 quarts of water in a large pot and cook lasagna noodles for 4 minutes. Drain and transfer to a large bowl. Toss with olive oil so the noodles don't stick together.
4. Layer noodles side by side with edges overlapping in 9-by-13-inch baking pan. Stack 1 pound of roast beef evenly over the noodles. Lay 6 slices of provolone over the beef. Top with half of the mushroom-onion-pepper mixture. Spread half the Cheez Whiz on top. Repeat layers once more. To finish, spread out the remaining noodles and top with grated provolone.
 Bake for 30 minutes.
5. Let this beast sit for 15 minutes before cutting into it.

Gregzs

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #27 on: September 03, 2014, 08:18:04 PM »
http://laughingsquid.com/hackthemenu-a-handy-collection-of-secret-menus-for-restaurants-like-chipotle-mexican-grill-and-in-guy/

#HackTheMenu is a handy collection of secret menus for fast food restaurants like Chipotle Mexican Grill and In-N-Out Burger. Not only does #HackTheMenu include the names and descriptions of such items, but it also specifically covers how to order products like the “Quesarito” that aren’t traditionally on the menu.

http://hackthemenu.com/

Gregzs

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #28 on: September 14, 2014, 10:04:55 AM »
In The Lab #6

Gregzs

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #31 on: October 22, 2014, 09:26:20 PM »
http://abc7.com/pets/worlds-tallest-cow-stands-6-feet-4-inches/353541/

World's tallest cow stands 6 feet 4 inches, hails from Illinois

ORANGEVILLE, Ill. --
 A 6-foot-4-inch bovine owned by an Illinois woman was recently dubbed the world's tallest cow.

Patty Hanson and Blosom the cow smiled for their official Guinness World Records photo shoot Monday.

Hanson received an email in mid-August stating Blossom had been named the world's tallest cow. She sought the record after veterinarians and the cow's foot trimmer constantly noted the 2,000-pound animal's large size, Hanson said.

At the end of May, family and friends began documenting Blosom's mass through photos and videos. Her official measurements were taken by a vet from Orangeville Animal Health Service.

"When I put Blosom's halter on, she knows it's time to go to work greeting people, and one of the best things I love about this big cow is she makes people smile. But now when I get to tell them they are looking at the world's tallest cow, I can't wait to see their reaction," Hanson said.

Hanson got Blosom when she was a calf and eventually decided to keep her as a pet. She turned 13 in July.

"My dad used to chuckle at Blosom, but soon softened up to her, which is why she stayed home on the farm as an addition to the many pets - she adds character," Hanson said.

Hanson said she wants to turn Blossom's story into a children's book someday.

"Blosom is a bit like an overgrown dog," Hanson said. "To people who have cows, they will get what I am saying, but I want other people to know she is special. I told my dad years ago that Blossom was destined for stardom, and with this record she has achieved that."

Blosom will be included in the 2016 edition of the "Guinness Book of World Records."

Gregzs

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #32 on: December 06, 2014, 08:46:35 AM »
Christmas 3g fat oatcake

Gregzs

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #33 on: December 13, 2014, 05:46:51 PM »
http://www.thrillist.com/eat/nation/fat-kid-fridays-buffalo-chicken-meatballs-tex-cajun-fries-and-more

Tex-Cajun Fries

If Canada, Louisiana, and Texas all hung out for one day and were like "Yo, let's do a thing," this would be the thing: shoestring fries completely covered in gooey queso, roast beef, and gravy. Oh, and you can snag these bad boys at 2am, when calories suddenly cease to exist. That's how food works, right?

Gregzs

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #34 on: December 14, 2014, 11:12:15 AM »
http://smartblogs.com/leadership/2014/12/11/frank-perdues-obsession-with-quality/?utm_source=brief

Frank Perdue’s obsession with quality

This post is an excerpt from the book “Tough Man, Tender Chicken: Business and Life Lessons from Frank Perdue” (December 2014, Significance Press) by Mitzi Perdue, who holds a bachelor’s degree in government from Harvard University and a master’s in public administration from George Washington University. For two decades she was a syndicated columnist, first for Capitol News, writing about food and agriculture, and then for Scripps Howard, writing about the environment. For more on the book, visit FrankPerdueBook.com, and follow on Facebook and Twitter.

If you enjoy this article, join SmartBrief’s e-mail list for our daily newsletter on being a better, smarter leader.

Although Ed McCabe was the copywriter for the Perdue account, he also became one of Frank’s best friends. Years after they were no longer working together, they would still visit each other.

In McCabe’s eyes, the basis of their relationship was that they were both fanatics. “I was as fanatical about my product, advertising, as he was about his product, chicken. It’s not about doing a few things in your field well, it’s about doing everything well.”

McCabe saw Frank’s search to find an advertising agency as an example of his wanting to do everything well. While a typical company finds a search consultant whose specialty is searching out ad agencies, Frank, in contrast, made the effort to study the subject himself from top to bottom.

“I think the secret to Frank’s success was he did an unbelievably comprehensive amount of research to back up his instincts. He’d start with an instinct, such as that advertising would help his company, and then he’d explore it with tomes and tomes of research.”

“He was aggressive about it. Before we had the Perdue contract, he’d barge into my office as part of his research, and I’d say ‘What are you doing here? Get the hell out, you don’t have an appointment!’ That didn’t even slow him down.”A perplexed McCabe soon enough found Frank barging in again, unannounced, which was when McCabe rather famously told him. “I don’t know if I even want your account you’re such a pain in the ass'”

Frank answered, “I’m like that in everything, but once I make up my mind, you’ll find that I’m more reasonable.”

Interestingly, McCabe said that the inspiration for the ad campaign, “It takes a tough man to make a tender chicken,” started with those moments when Frank would barge into his office. After his agency landed the Perdue account and McCabe was visiting Frank in Salisbury, he saw exactly the same kind of behavior at the Perdue headquarters. Frank wouldn’t pick up the phone and make an appointment. Instead, he’d just barge in. McCabe started to realize, “This guy is a fanatic on quality and every detail that goes into achieving it. He has no time for formalities or pleasantries or obstacles.”

McCabe’s understanding that there was a reason the product was good formed the germ of the ad campaign. Also, McCabe felt that Frank’s being a spokesman worked because he was both visually and vocally connected to the product. Lee Iacocca had no relation to a car, except by title, but Frank reminded people of a chicken. “He had that screechy, squawky voice. Also, he had personality, which is the one thing most CEOs who want to be in their own ads don’t have. He had a strong and unique personality that immediately related to the product he was selling.”

I asked McCabe how he dared choose Frank to star in the commercials, given that McCabe knew Frank was a shy person who didn’t like public speaking. McCabe answered that after watching Frank in action, he had total confidence that Frank was so success-oriented that he would do whatever it took to learn how to appear on camera.

During the first few shoots, Frank knew that he was supposed to “give” to the camera and not hold back the way a shy person might be inclined to do. McCabe said that he had to tell Frank to “dial back,” in order to get the right amount of energy.

The McCabe-Perdue professional relationship worked out well for 20 years. “Working together that long is unheard of in the advertising world,” said McCabe. “The average creative person’s burnout time on any particular account is about three years. Our 20 years and also the 20 years that I worked on the Volvo account is like some kind of world record.”

Besides their professional success, McCabe felt that they each opened up parts of their individual worlds to the other.

“Other than chicken, one of Frank’s favorite foods was Maryland hard-shell crabs. I’ll never forget the night he took Sam Scali and me to Phillip’s Crab House in Ocean City, Maryland, just after our first three Perdue Chicken commercials had been shot.

“I had never seen one of these critters before. I looked down at the placemat, full of diagrams and instructions for how to go about opening and eating one. I said, ‘I don’t know Frank. This looks pretty complicated.'”

Frank then left the table without a word, only to return to the table a few minutes later with the proprietress of the restaurant, Shirley Phillips. She gave McCabe and his colleagues some one-on-one crab opening and eating instructions.

“That was Frank. In a crab-shell,” said McCabe. “As brusque and as pointed as he could sometimes be, he was also tremendously thoughtful and generous.”

McCabe felt that he played a role in Frank’s becoming more sophisticated. “He had all the instincts, but I also think, for example that with his dressing, his association with me had an impact. We did a lot of wardrobe work with him for commercials and he’d end up liking what had been selected, and was influenced by it. The relationship was very rewarding for both of us.”

Gregzs

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #35 on: January 19, 2015, 11:33:35 AM »

Gregzs

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #36 on: January 26, 2015, 10:39:19 PM »

Gregzs

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #37 on: February 07, 2015, 10:35:20 PM »

Gregzs

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #38 on: April 10, 2015, 08:25:54 PM »

Gregzs

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #39 on: May 13, 2015, 07:47:54 PM »
Anthony Bourdain's Huge NYC Food Market Finally Has a Location

http://www.thrillist.com/eat/new-york/anthony-bourdain-s-huge-nyc-food-market-finally-has-a-location

We may finally know the location of celebrity chef Anthony Bourdain's enormous, highly-anticipated international food hall, Bourdain Market, thanks to a new report on Wednesday by Commercial Observer.

The chef, TV personality, and author is reportedly in negotiations for 100,000sqft of space at Pier 57, an abandoned shipping and passenger terminal located at West 15th St and the Hudson River that will be redeveloped into what's dubbed as "SuperPier," according to the report, which cites sources close to the matter.

Last month, Eater reported that the market will feature a huge variety of food offerings, including a farmers market, tapas bar, and bakery, among about 100 different vendors, some permanent and some temporary or rotating when it opens in 2016. There could also be a rooftop beer garden in the works, according to Eater. Other than that, there are few other details about the market and its offerings, which Bourdain and business partner Stephen Werther have recently teased as a bustling marketplace resembling street hawker centers.

“It is meant to be crowded and chaotic because that’s what hawker centres should be," Werther said this April in a report by Singapore's Today. "t is supposed to be a mash-up of foods, styles, smells, tastes and visuals. New York needs this. New York’s idea of street food, with a few rare exceptions, are sort of new versions of what we call fast casual. And that’s not what this is. It might be casual, but it’s not fast.”

Gregzs

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #40 on: May 31, 2015, 10:52:43 AM »
A Handy Hot Dog Style Guide Visualizing the Different Ways People Eat Frankfurters Around the World

http://www.foodrepublic.com/2015/05/19/40-ways-world-makes-awesome-hot-dogs

keesh1

• Getbig I
« Reply #41 on: June 15, 2015, 10:23:18 AM »
Bacon Wrapped Grilled Cheese Sticks

http://dudefoods.com/bacon-wrapped-grilled-cheese-sticks/

I keep thinking that one day I’ll get sick of eating so much bacon, but amazingly it still hasn’t happened. In fact, as time goes by I only seem to be growing more and more fond of it as I keep incorporating it into more of my meals, which with how much I already eat doesn’t even seem like it should be possible.

Recently I came up with an idea to make some grilled cheese sticks, but after a quick Google search I found that tons of people have already made and written about that same exact thing. What I didn’t see though were any grilled cheese sticks that were wrapped in bacon!

Do you know what’s even better than how great these Bacon Wrapped Grilled Cheese Sticks taste? How easy they are to make! Then again, pretty much everything I make is easy because I have absolutely zero cooking experience whatsoever.

Alright, so you want to make your own Bacon Wrapped Grilled Cheese Sticks? Start off by frying up a couple grilled cheese sandwiches and then cutting each sandwich into for or five pieces. Then, wrap bacon strips around your grilled cheese sticks and to finish things off you can either drop them in a deep fryer for 45 seconds or so, or just put them on a baking sheet in your oven for 17 minutes at 375°.

I’m pretty sure I’ve yet to come across a food that isn’t better when it’s wrapped in bacon. It’s not only  the addition of bacon that makes it good though, it’s the fact that as the grease drips from the bacon it’s usually soaked up by whatever it is that the bacon is wrapped around.

Really nice! What can be better than cheese and bacon. I love bacon. Although it never came to my mind to wrap cheese in bacon. Starting to cook it right now.

Gregzs

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #42 on: June 21, 2015, 09:20:05 AM »
Whey Shakes, Five Ways

Gregzs

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #43 on: July 19, 2015, 01:12:39 PM »
Lay's New Chip Flavor Finalists Include Biscuits & Gravy, Reuben

Even after such atrocities as last year's Cappuccino chips, Lay's somehow entrusted America again with the task of coming up with crazy food-inspired potato chip flavors for its "Do Us A Flavor" contest. Now, four flavor finalists -- based on local favorite dishes from across the country -- have been chosen, and well, they're predictably weird things you wouldn't expect in a snack bowl.

The new flavors are Wavy West Coast Truffle Fries, Southern Biscuits and Gravy, New York Reuben, and Kettle Cooked Greektown Gyro. You can get your greasy fingers on them at grocery stores later this month, then vote for your favorite through October 18th. The winning chip will get an extended national run in grocery stores, and the flavor's creator will get $1 million or 1% of its net sales through next July -- whichever is greater. Last time around, America did the right thing by choosing wasabi ginger over cappuccino, but surely we can do better as a society and make New York Reuben chips happen.

But only if there's a nice hint of pickle on the side.

http://www.thrillist.com/eat/nation/lay-s-new-chip-flavor-finalists-include-biscuits-gravy-new-york-reuben

Gregzs

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #44 on: November 18, 2015, 06:59:40 PM »

Gregzs

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #45 on: December 07, 2015, 06:35:45 PM »
Buy one dozen get one free at participating Krispy Kreme shops on Saturday December 12:

http://www.foodbeast.com/news/1212-krispy-kreme/?utm_campaign=socialflow&utm_source=facebook#JQ8tH3ZUjwXisoMM.99

Gregzs

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #46 on: December 13, 2015, 09:09:05 AM »

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods

Gregzs

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #48 on: April 17, 2016, 03:37:19 PM »

Gregzs

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #49 on: October 08, 2016, 10:28:53 AM »
How to Make Creepy Chocolate Chip Cookies for Halloween

Crafter and cake decorator Jennifer Wold of Clever Wren Cakes & Sweets shared her fun tutorial on how to create super creepy chocolate chip cookies for Halloween. Jen used large and small sugar pearls, slivers of almonds, and red gel food coloring to bring her monster cookies to life. The full tutorial is available to view on Instructables.

http://laughingsquid.com/how-to-make-creepy-chocolate-chip-cookies-for-halloween/?utm_content=buffer6cd7d&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=buffer